Mass Effect Legendary Edition

For me none of those endings are valid. So ending it at a logical point where Illusive Man says "Earth... I wish you could see it like I do, Shepard... It's so... perfect..." makes sense. There should've been no Star Brat nonsense after that and it would've been a perfect ending to the trilogy.

I'll quote something I read a few yeas ago.

"Imagine if you're watching Lord of The Rings (the whole trilogy), and Frodo and Sam finally make it into the Volcano. Only instead of getting the wonderful thrill of finally witnessing what you've been anticipating for the past 9 hours (or if you're reading books some days or weeks) you are instead rudely interrupted by a ghostly vision of Sauron who says everything is your fault, not his. He is cleansing you of your warring because humans and elves cannot co-exist together (despite the fact that Aragon is marrying one!). He says that you must REPENT! The cycle must end! You must jump into the boiling pit of lava where magic will fix all of our problems. No one gets to kill Sauron for all his crimes, everyone gets nuked as a result of Frodo jumping into the volcano, and you have a choice between red, green or blue lava! The red nukes all! But also nukes the orcs! The blue gives Frodo control over the orcs! Green merges man with elf with orc!"
Fair enough, and really wish they would have stayed closer to the premise of the first game. but that's a whole other thing... (forget who but there was a 30~ish part series breaking down the series.

Never liked the last few missions and the ending in ME3. Have played through it a few times, but I rarely enjoy the game from the last mission on earth and out. Will probably do a play through of the series in the legendary edition, but unsure if I will bother with the last mission. Still only about 70% through ME1 though on the legendary edition so it will take some time.

i still think that the fact shepard dies (well sorta not in the destroy ending) is what turned the ending(s) into a source of massive controversy. if it had been one or the other (mediocre at best writing or shepard's death) the reaction would have been so much less vitriolic. don't get me wrong, i totally agree with what's been said ad nauseum about the writing of each ending, most specifically about the key choices making almost no difference. it would've (and should've) gotten PLENTY of criticism without the other thing. but hypothetically if there were well-written endings but shepard's death happened in some form no matter what choices were made that ALSO would've caused waves of criticism.

add them both together and you get what we got, a firestorm of annoyance, disappointment and outright hurt feelings.

Last edited:
i still think that the fact shepard dies (well sorta not in the destroy ending) is what turned the ending(s) into a source of massive controversy. if it had been one or the other (mediocre at best writing or shepard's death) the reaction would have been so much less vitriolic. don't get me wrong, i totally agree with what's been said ad nauseum about the writing of each ending, most specifically about the key choices making almost no difference. it would've (and should've) gotten PLENTY of criticism without the other thing. but hypothetically if there were well-written endings but shepard's death happened in some form no matter what choices were made that ALSO would've caused waves of criticism.

add them both together and you get what we got, a firestorm of annoyance, disappointment and outright hurt feelings.
It didn't help that the last few missions are IMO some of the most boring levels in all of mass effect. E.g. I don't enjoy playing them and I get to chose between several weak endings after that, which only makes it worse.

I rage quit recently on ME2 LE due to it reverting about 1.5 hours of gameplay. Not sure if I should blame Origin, OneDrive or ME2 LE. Will be taking a break & then get back into it once I see more mods. So many games to play...

It didn't help that the last few missions are IMO some of the most boring levels in all of mass effect. E.g. I don't enjoy playing them and I get to chose between several weak endings after that, which only makes it worse.

This is going to be the first game I play once I get my "workspace" back in order -- hopefully next month. I had a blast with the Dragon Age series, but never got around to Mass Effect.

Some of you are raising the anticipatory excitement to an uncomfortable level. :inpain:

This is going to be the first game I play once I get my "workspace" back in order -- hopefully next month. I had a blast with the Dragon Age series, but never got around to Mass Effect.

Some of you are raising the anticipatory excitement to an uncomfortable level. :inpain:
Enjoy the ride and don't worry about what everybody else is saying, is my piece of advice. It is still one of my favorite video game series of all time. Probably my most favorite, but that is why myself and others are so passionate about it.

I had a blast with the Dragon Age series, but never got around to Mass Effect.

You're in for a treat, despite the trilogy's flaws. Legendary Edition was a good (and wasted) opportunity to fix many of them, including the static lightmapping that looks like it belongs in id Tech 1 and not UE3 in ME1 and 3. Still, I think the franchise is one of the very best in gaming (or perhaps even TV and film) in terms of storytelling. Just nevermind the ending of 3 when parsing that statement. You'll... see what I mean.

Last edited:
IMO, three just isn't that great, even outside of the ending. That's just me though. I personally think 2 is the best of the series in terms of the characters, the gameplay additions, the sound design, graphics, etc. ME3 always felt like cobbled together garbage honestly.

IMO, three just isn't that great, even outside of the ending. That's just me though. I personally think 2 is the best of the series in terms of the characters, the gameplay additions, the sound design, graphics, etc. ME3 always felt like cobbled together garbage honestly.
I'm going to disagree with that completely. It's gameplay is the best out of the three. Where ME3 goes wrong is its ending. On that front, its primarily around Thessia that it starts to go wrong. Sure, that mission is written well and has great story to it, but the level design from that point on is somewhat awkward and rushed. Priority Earth is a complete disaster.

According to this video. Sales may have gone over 4 million copies. Hopefully, that will convince EA to put more resource back into the franchise.
It's already got over 12k reviews on Steam which indicates it's been very successful. You would hope they've been reminded of what made the franchise so good and the potential it still holds.

It's already got over 12k reviews on Steam which indicates it's been very successful. You would hope they've been reminded of what made the franchise so good and the potential it still holds.

If the number is right or even semi close. EA just made ~150 millions on a remaster that they probably spent about 10 mils on. Just hope they will reinvest some of the profit into the franchise.

According to this video. Sales may have gone over 4 million copies. Hopefully, that will convince EA to put more resource back into the franchise.

Hopefully this is the kind of interest BioWare was talking about that will get us the multiplayer. Maybe they will have something to say about it at EA Play Live on July 22.

If the number is right or even semi close. EA just made ~150 millions on a remaster that they probably spent about 10 mils on. Just hope they will reinvest some of the profit into the franchise.
We already know that another sequel is in the works. Unfortunately, we don't know much about it.

We already know that another sequel is in the works. Unfortunately, we don't know much about it.
It'll be interesting to see which ending gets made canon. And how you continue a story from it. I could see DLC sized experiences following any of the endings of ME3, but really nothing that would make me think, this is the next chapter.

Tangentially, SAM from ME:A I suspect will be influential in what comes next.

It'll be interesting to see which ending gets made canon. And how you continue a story from it. I could see DLC sized experiences following any of the endings of ME3, but really nothing that would make me think, this is the next chapter.

Tangentially, SAM from ME:A I suspect will be influential in what comes next.
Well, control and destroy can be reconciled with each other to a degree. I can see how they could alter a future game to include either of those choices and build from them. However, synthesis (or as I call it, DNA rape) and the pout like a child and do nothing endings are totally incompatible with a new game. Unfortunately, people who don't realize how monstrous and grotesque the synthesis ending really is will obviously feel slighted if their choice isn't valid in the game's narrative. That being said, it would be too hard to make all three of them canon. It's obvious the fourth ending is a pile of shit and can't be used as either a save import for another game, nor as a means of continuing the series.

All of that said, BioWare really painted themselves into a corner with ME3. Essentially, they made it difficult (although not impossible) to continue the story with Shepard or even within the Milky Way galaxy. I always felt that moving the setting to another galaxy like they did in Andromeda made the most sense. It also set itself up for a sequel quite nicely. However, I think BioWare would rather try and unfuck the Milky Way rather than go down that seemingly unpopular road. There has been a lot of years to re-examine the ending of ME3 and come up with a way to continue. It's also perhaps by necessity as BioWare probably can't figure out where it went wrong with Andromeda. It's not the setting and it's not the story. It's not even the weaker villain. It's the boring protagonist(s). It's having super lengthy dialog that's not terribly engaging. None of Ryder's choices are bold or memorable. The game is over 100 hours long and isn't all that replayable. It suffers from being open world and being paced so badly with excessive fetch quests. These factors are by far and away the worst aspects of the game.

General gameplay is good. The story is actually decent and for the most part handled well. The ending of the game is spectacular and closer to what we should have had in ME3. It would almost be a shame to return to the Milky Way and abandon Andromeda. I'm very skeptical of BioWare being able to do a sequel to ME3 justice with modern political ideology and all of that. Some of that is why Andromeda failed to measure up to the trilogy. It's the least egregious of the game's issues on the surface, but I believe being non-offensive is a large part of why Ryder is so boring compared to Shepard.

I'll agree ME:A biggest issue was that in trying to be everything to everyone and not rocking the boat, there wasn't anything defining about it. There wasn't Virmire, the Council, Suicide Mission, etc. Even character selection wasn't with lasting consequence. it just was, like vanilla ice cream, palatable by all, but not memorable. the current SJW conditions don't worry me, as they were largely already present in them to begin with. inclusive romance options were corrected with ME3 (though light in options), the rest of the co-operate or die and species-specific view points are bad themes are no different than current racial tensions, ignoring the obvious lack of Blame Humans theme that would be needed to make it fully complete. Arguably the Female cast is stronger than the Male cast as is as well. i think the bigger issue is Min-Maxing the sales potential.

i agree with your DNA rape conclusion, but i fear that's the one they have gone with, as that is what SAM represents.

i think they had the right themes for the trilogy conclusion, just the wrong executions. you either had to work together to defeat them, try to co-opt them, try to exist with them, or fail completely because you can't handle picking the least offensive of bad options. problem is with the extremes they went with each conclusion. and the interface. the nuanced endings would have been supported by the past decisions, you can go down each branch, but how far depends on previous choices.

god damn, they need to go back and retcon the conclusion before they can move forward

Yea but hopefully now they will give it more resource and time instead of rushing it out for the quarterly report.

I'll agree ME:A biggest issue was that in trying to be everything to everyone and not rocking the boat, there wasn't anything defining about it. There wasn't Virmire, the Council, Suicide Mission, etc. Even character selection wasn't with lasting consequence. it just was, like vanilla ice cream, palatable by all, but not memorable. the current SJW conditions don't worry me, as they were largely already present in them to begin with. inclusive romance options were corrected with ME3 (though light in options), the rest of the co-operate or die and species-specific view points are bad themes are no different than current racial tensions, ignoring the obvious lack of Blame Humans theme that would be needed to make it fully complete. Arguably the Female cast is stronger than the Male cast as is as well. i think the bigger issue is Min-Maxing the sales potential.

i agree with your DNA rape conclusion, but i fear that's the one they have gone with, as that is what SAM represents.

i think they had the right themes for the trilogy conclusion, just the wrong executions. you either had to work together to defeat them, try to co-opt them, try to exist with them, or fail completely because you can't handle picking the least offensive of bad options. problem is with the extremes they went with each conclusion. and the interface. the nuanced endings would have been supported by the past decisions, you can go down each branch, but how far depends on previous choices.

god damn, they need to go back and retcon the conclusion before they can move forward
ME:A is like walking through a movie set with all the extras but without any of the key actors. It looks familiar, but just does not have the right vibe.

They need to replace synthesis with remove all control over the Reapers and let them choose who they want to be and what they want to do. Reapers are all that remains of the cultures and civilizations destroyed by Reapers over millions of years. Unimaginable knowledge at everyone's fingertips, at least from the ones who decide not to be belligerent. Some of these entities have been held in slavery for millions of years and forced to do to others what was done to them.

It's definitely not a modern fairytale ending with everything working out and everyone happy. There's plenty of room for conflict and resolution as well as discovery considering the many actions the different Reapers would make.

I still haven't played through Andromeda but I suspect the free the Reapers ending would work to explain how the Andromeda colony group was able to make the trip between galaxies. No Reapers came along with them but the knowledge the Reapers had allowed them to discover enabled the trip to be possible.

They need to replace synthesis with remove all control over the Reapers and let them choose who they want to be and what they want to do. Reapers are all that remains of the cultures and civilizations destroyed by Reapers over millions of years. Unimaginable knowledge at everyone's fingertips, at least from the ones who decide not to be belligerent. Some of these entities have been held in slavery for millions of years and forced to do to others what was done to them.

It's definitely not a modern fairytale ending with everything working out and everyone happy. There's plenty of room for conflict and resolution as well as discovery considering the many actions the different Reapers would make.

I still haven't played through Andromeda but I suspect the free the Reapers ending would work to explain how the Andromeda colony group was able to make the trip between galaxies. No Reapers came along with them but the knowledge the Reapers had allowed them to discover enabled the trip to be possible.

Andromeda takes place between 2 and 3. Basically they all left before the big Reaper invasion. It's a bit hand-wavey, but also the smallest issue with that plot.

Andromeda starts between ME2 and ME3. Essentially, an unknown benefactor or group puts together the Andromeda initiative to flee the Milky Way galaxy (it's implied that they are specifically running from the Reapers) to preserve each of the main Milky Way galaxy civilizations. There is some murder, intrigue and a whole lot of good stuff that went unresolved in the plot. They essentially shoot out past the Milky Way using a Mass Relay into dark space and coast the rest of the way to the Milky Way, decelerating at the right point to arrive in the Helius cluster of Andromeda 600 years after the events of Mass Effect 3.

I wonder if we will be able to import our saves from ME3:LE into ME4 to reflect the changes that have happened if Shepard isn't the main protagonist. If Shepard is involved, Bioware is left with one option, destroy must be canon. In the preview ME4 I did not see the circuitry present on presumably Liara in the DNA rape ending, so seemingly that ending isn't canon. I personally hope they come back to Shepard 10 or 20 years later, with some massive new threat pulling him out of retirement (like an AI from within the galaxy activating a mass relay and pouring through, or the Leviathans demanding tribute from the "lesser" races again, or the Kett from ME: Andromeda coming to pay a visit to the Milky Way, with them being revealed to be from neither the Milky Way nor Andromeda, but being like the Quarians hopping from galaxy to galaxy for intergalactic conquest) with the ability to import your good+ destroy ending saves where you see Shep take a breath before the storyteller scene from ME3:LE.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will be able to import our saves from ME3:LE into ME4 to reflect the changes that have happened if Shepard isn't the main protagonist. If Shepard is involved, Bioware is left with one option, destroy must be canon. In the preview ME4 I did not see the circuitry present on presumably Liara in the DNA rape ending, so seemingly that ending isn't canon. I personally hope they come back to Shepard 10 or 20 years later, with some massive new threat pulling him out of retirement (like an AI from within the galaxy activating a mass relay and pouring through, or the Leviathans demanding tribute from the "lesser" races again, or the Kett from ME: Andromeda coming to pay a visit to the Milky Way, with them being revealed to be from neither the Milky Way nor Andromeda, but being like the Quarians hopping from galaxy to galaxy for intergalactic conquest) with the ability to import your good+ destroy ending saves where you see Shep take a breath before the storyteller scene from ME3:LE.

I'd rather they separate it from the Shepard story. They need to pick a canon ending, but they'd also need to canonize whether or not Shepard survived the ending (something that's only possible with Destroy). Let the galaxy be at relative peace for a while, long enough for the races to start bickering again and long enough for the lessons learned from the Reaper war to be forgotten.

Edit: I'd also love if they allowed you to play as other races. Maybe take the origins concept from DA: O and have a different beginning story for each race that eventually comes together into some kind of main plot.

One of the most egregious examples of absolute crap static lightmapping can be found in the Omega DLC.

Omegalightmapping.png

Hopefully either BioWare or the modding community addresses this. Unacceptable for a new "remaster" for 2021. I will continue to update this post with other examples.

bayd24lightmapping.png

Some pretty low quality lightmaps here on the Citadel, too. especially mid-right on the support beam.

bayd24blightmapping.png

More 1998 quality lightmapping present by rapid transit/the elevator.

bayd24clightmapping.png

And by the light here by this pillar. Yuck. This has not changed one bit since the 2012 release. Unacceptable.

PresCommonslightmapping.png

One of the most egregious examples of poor resolution lightmapping on the Citadel is on this counter here. It blows my mind BioWare didn't touch these and thought that was okay, this looked good.
SanctuaryAlightmapping.png

More terrible static lightmapping from Sanctuary.
cstationlightmapping.png

Yet more awful static lightmapping. Now to turn my eye towards the first game. Starting with the Citadel...

me1citadellightmapping1.png

me1citadellightmapping2.png

One of the worst (or best of the worst?) examples yet below.
me1citadellightmapping4.png

While the below looks better than the above, it's still not great. At all.
me1citadellightmapping3.png

The macroblocking is strong with this one. I can keep pulling example after example, but I think I've driven home the point by now, yes? And why is it that 1 and 3 suffer from this problem, but the static lighting in 2 doesn't have this severe an image quality problem? You can tell it's still low resolution, but it at least looks smoother.
me1citadellightmapping5.png

This static lighting quality wasn't good in 2007, and it certainly isn't better 14 years later. Call me a nitpicker if you must, but am I the only one that's bothered by this?

Last edited:
Maybe it's my shit eyesight, but honestly, I don't have an issue with it, it's not immersion breaking for me. Then again I don't get to play modern games, so maybe I don't know what I am missing out on, when it comes to light maps

Maybe it's my shit eyesight, but honestly, I don't have an issue with it, it's not immersion breaking for me. Then again I don't get to play modern games, so maybe I don't know what I am missing out on, when it comes to light maps

The shadows are jaggy like they aren't antialiased at all, and don't dissipate cleanly. I'm not sure I'd have noticed it just quickly playing, but it is funny to see in a remaster where the visuals have been "improved" lol.

One of the most egregious examples of shit lightmapping can be found in the Omega DLC.

View attachment 370618
Hopefully either BioWare or the modding community addresses this. Unacceptable for a new "remaster" for 2021. I will continue to update this post with other examples.

View attachment 370623
Some pretty low quality lightmaps here on the Citadel, too. especially mid-right on the support beam.

View attachment 370624

View attachment 370626
And by the light here by this pillar. Yuck. This has not changed one bit since the 2012 release. Unacceptable.

View attachment 370627

One of the most egregious examples of poor resolution lightmapping on the Citadel is on this counter here. It blows my mind BioWare didn't touch these and thought that was okay, this looked good.View attachment 370636
o_O

One of the most egregious examples of shit lightmapping can be found in the Omega DLC.

View attachment 370618

View attachment 370623

View attachment 370624

View attachment 370626

View attachment 370627

One of the most egregious examples of poor resolution lightmapping on the Citadel is on this counter here. It blows my mind BioWare didn't touch these and thought that was okay, this looked good.View attachment 370636
Actually, the files for these are higher resolution than they used to be. Trust me, they are improved but not nearly enough. This is something that the modders who know how can address. That being said, I haven't quiet cracked it on the LE3 version of the game as shit goes wrong when I modify the files. I'm not sure if it's the toolset doing that or what. I know some mods have been made to work, but I don't know if they are actually modifying those files at all when they do it.

Actually, the files for these are higher resolution than they used to be. Trust me, they are improved but not nearly enough. This is something that the modders who know how can address. That being said, I haven't quiet cracked it on the LE3 version of the game as shit goes wrong when I modify the files. I'm not sure if it's the toolset doing that or what. I know some mods have been made to work, but I don't know if they are actually modifying those files at all when they do it.
Well hopefully progress is made soon. I spent $60 expecting a "remaster" and instead I get a half-baked update to 2 and 3 with few changes to the poor quality static lighting in 1 and 3. Just checked NexusMods and I'm glad to see this is addressed in vanilla ME3 with ALOT's static lighting update. I'll have to see how a GTX 295 handles stock textures with the lighting update while I wait.

Just thought of the perfect Destroy ending. This should be easy for experienced modders once they cracked the files.

I'm just fighting for poor Joker. I would be OK with the Destroy ending if they somehow stuff EDI in a Faraday Cage and protect her from the pulse (or just have Normandy out run the pulse at the end). Poor guy just can't get a break. His father is probably dead on Tiptree and then he was given false hope by Liara that young refugees are arriving at other places only to have you find out the his sister Hilary was killed by that Asari commando (unless there's more than one 15 year old farm girl name Hilary on Tiptree) in the hospital (just for that I would authorize a gun for her so she can shoot herself). Poor guy just can't get a break.

Not to mention that having the Normandy outrun the Pulse and saving EDI is the perfect middle finger to the Starbrat short of shooting him. It also give some sense of accomplishment for Joker's frantic flying as he outrun the pulse. Since the Quarian created the Geth in the first place and I'm sure they can create them again with time and will treat them differently this time around so I can live with that part.

Easiest way is to just mod the destroy ending video and just replace the part after the Normandy crash landed with the control ending ones with the less damaged Normandy and EDI walking out. Maybe if they can mod the voice file and add a dialog from Shepard telling Joker to get everyone out of there. All ending have the pulse catching up to the Normandy but it never fully envelope it and EDI would be sitting at the front part of the ship anyways.

Just thought of the perfect Destroy ending. This should be easy for experienced modders once they cracked the files.

I'm just fighting for poor Joker. I would be OK with the Destroy ending if they somehow stuff EDI in a Faraday Cage and protect her from the pulse (or just have Normandy out run the pulse at the end). Poor guy just can't get a break. His father is probably dead on Tiptree and then he was given false hope by Liara that young refugees are arriving at other places only to have you find out the his sister Hilary was killed by that Asari commando (unless there's more than one 15 year old farm girl name Hilary on Tiptree) in the hospital (just for that I would authorize a gun for her so she can shoot herself). Poor guy just can't get a break.

Not to mention that having the Normandy outrun the Pulse and saving EDI is the perfect middle finger to the Starbrat short of shooting him. It also give some sense of accomplishment for Joker's frantic flying as he outrun the pulse. Since the Quarian created the Geth in the first place and I'm sure they can create them again with time and will treat them differently this time around so I can live with that part.

Easiest way is to just mod the destroy ending video and just replace the part after the Normandy crash landed with the control ending ones with the less damaged Normandy and EDI walking out. Maybe if they can mod the voice file and add a dialog from Shepard telling Joker to get everyone out of there. All ending have the pulse catching up to the Normandy but it never fully envelope it and EDI would be sitting at the front part of the ship anyways.
I flat prefer the JAM / MEHEM ending to even that idea. you can delete the fucking Star Brat entirely. That being said, it would have been better than what we got.

The only way the destroy ending works is I'd it's a pulse that targets the reapers specifically, using insight of the geth, quarians, and Leviathans. Also the decision as to what the crucible will actually do, needs to take place earlier in the game. The idea that they hurt the thing, and don't know what it does until they have enough imagination is absurd

The only way the destroy ending works is I'd it's a pulse that targets the reapers specifically, using insight of the geth, quarians, and Leviathans. Also the decision as to what the crucible will actually do, needs to take place earlier in the game. The idea that they hurt the thing, and don't know what it does until they have enough imagination is absurd
I don't know how you'd be able to target such a relatively small population of AI by comparison to the rest of the inorganic life in the galaxy with such a powerful weapon. In my opinion, if Starbrat created the Reapers he should know how to disable or destroy them specifically. We also see that the Leviathans are clearly able to disable the Reapers, yet after over a billion years in isolation they were not able to reproduce and deploy enough artifacts to take them all out?

I don't know how you'd be able to target such a relatively small population of AI by comparison to the rest of the inorganic life in the galaxy with such a powerful weapon. In my opinion, if Starbrat created the Reapers he should know how to disable or destroy them specifically. We also see that the Leviathans are clearly able to disable the Reapers, yet after over a billion years in isolation they were not able to reproduce and deploy enough artifacts to take them all out?
I didn't get the impression that prior to Sheppard the Leviathans particularly cared about what else was going on, just trying to hide from their creations and others in general.

Andromeda takes place between 2 and 3. Basically they all left before the big Reaper invasion. It's a bit hand-wavey, but also the smallest issue with that plot.
Andromeda takes place hundreds of years later. They left the Milky Way between 2 and 3, but then it took 600 years to get to Andromeda.

Back