Mass Effect 3 will require Origin only!

Don't bother with the Steam fanboys. I've decided that when it comes to this issue, there's no point in trying to educate anymore, some people don't wish to learn. So just leave it. Most people who are crying about Origin will quietly stop and just use it. Lots of people love to whine and cry, but it rarely prevents them from doing anything for long. A great example was the "Boycott Modern Warefare 2" group on Steam that was then nothing but people playing it on release day.

A few will hold out and scream about it, but it'll be their loss and most no difference in the end.

Trying to reason is a lot cause because for 99.999% of them it isn't about a real reason, it is about Steam fanboyis,/zealotry. They've decided Steam is the One True Way(tm) and thus hate Origin because it is a competitor. Hence why they'll hate on Origin for doing things that Steam also does (like requiring the client no matter where you get the game).

So just let it go.

I don't want two libraries of games. If I bought 300 albums on iTunes, of which included Dark side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here, I would not be thrilled in the least that I need to now download, install, and use Zune Marketplace to get The Wall.

I simply don't want my trilogy spread across two login names on two platforms. I find it bullshit that we're given no other option.

And that is why I will not be buying ME3.

Steam is often a pain in the ass. They have made a lot of things easy though, like buying games for my son and gifting them to him, letting me know what he has been playing, just general oversight. But if I had a better choice I would do without Steam.

I don't want or need another f'ing service.
I don't want to give another business more control over me.
I did it with Valve and when they bent me over they at least offered me candies and used some lube.
Origin is more the slam your head into to desk and tell you to "take it like a man" kinda overlord.
Screw that, I am already married and don't need to kiss anyone else's ass today.

What can I say, I don't care enough about a handful of random forum dwellers who more than likely acted like douchebags to stand up for them by not buying a game I would otherwise enjoy :rolleyes: It's also a bit much to say EA could ever "rule" over us like Plato would be describing, they provide a form of entertainment, nothing more.

If you're a passenger in a car and the driver takes a path that you don't agree with, you're not gonna jump out of the car and walk there instead to protest :p

When they start oppressing people, raping women and eating small children, let me know and I'll show a little less indifference. ;)

Last edited:
Yes! But at least they offered me candies!
Candies!

Steam was too much and has it's issues. I have spent my time cursing it. Would do without it in a second if there was a better option.

Why would I want a worse version of Steam?

Oh, and cursing Origin is not promoting Steam. Are you guys in love with one, hate the other, vice versa or both?

Oh, and cursing Origin is not promoting Steam. Are you guys in love with one, hate the other, vice versa or both?

I think they're both pretty shit in many ways, good in a couple of ways... I just don't let something so insignificant keep me from my games either way. :)

Steam has always been great for me. Origin's been fine for the most part too, but I just don't feel the need for it. The damn thing is like a diet version of Steam. Kind of crappy.

Last edited:
Steam has always been great for me. Origin's been fine for the most part too, but I just don't for it. The damn thing is like a diet version of Steam. Kind of crappy.
This pretty much. I'm not so much on the anti-EA bandwagon or overly paranoid about the spyware aspect considering we've all sold our souls to Facebook and Google re:datamining anyway -- there's probably not much more damage that can be done by EA in that regard.

If they had been visionary and innovative enough to come up with a version of Origin as feature-filled and content-filled as Steam before Steam had already captured the market, I'd probably be happily using it instead of Steam. Well they weren't, so this just strikes me as punishing me for their lack of foresight and inept lack of innovation, through fragmentation of my game library :rolleyes:.

Basically it's like this; In capitalism a company who wants my money needs to provide me with the product when I want, where I want it, and at a price that I am willing to pay.

To that effect it is irrelevant why I don't want to use Origin, all that matters is that I do not want to use it, perhaps I dislike the name. Thus, if EA wants my money they need to provide me their product outside of Origin.

Now, perhaps they do not want my money, and that's cool with me because I also do not want their product if it requires Origin. There is nothing EA produces that is so hot and cool at the same time that I would change my mind on Origin. There are simply too many other non-EA games in addition to other entertainment opportunities such that I don't have to buy stuff that's sold via a method I don't approve of.

I get that some of you don't care one way or another and I am fine with that too, all that matters to me is that I don't want to install and buy through Origin. Hopefully, in time, that will matter to EA as well.

A great example was the "Boycott Modern Warefare 2" group on Steam that was then nothing but people playing it on release day.

That's just because the majority of whiners tend to be mostly made up hypocrites. I'm sure half the people ( at least half) bitching in this thread will buy ME3 on Origin so most of this whining is for not.

That's just because the majority of whiners tend to be mostly made up hypocrites. I'm sure half the people ( at least half) bitching in this thread will buy ME3 on Origin so most of this whining is for not.

If the whining prompts EA to improve the Origin system, it will benefit even you people who whine about whiners.

If the whining prompts EA to improve the Origin system, it will benefit even you people who whine about whiners.

:cool:

Anything that improves the system is a good thing in my opinion. If whining does so then its a win for us all.

Only because they can't get it on Steam. No one seems to be jumping onto Origin BECAUSE of Origin, they are doing as the necessary evil to get what they want.

I think Steam has value beyond the Games. I would do without it in a second if I could get what Steam provides without the leash but all things considered, Steam attemps to meet my needs.

Origin seems to want me to meet their needs.

Like I said, I am already married. Once is enough.

That was almost 8 years ago.

I don't really see how that bears any relevance. For a more recent example, Portal 2 forces you to use Steam and won't even let you buy it from other digital distribution services, at least you can still buy EA games elsewhere if you please.

Honestly, whine all you want, but I don't see it changing anything. EA knows the majority of people who have accepted Steam into their hearts, which is almost everyone these days, will more than likely have no issue with Origin either. You can already see the complaining that preceeded BF3 has died down a lot.

Last edited:
Only because they can't get it on Steam. No one seems to be jumping onto Origin BECAUSE of Origin, they are doing as the necessary evil to get what they want.
I'm pretty sure most people jumped on Steam for the exact same reason, I know I did. I already know you aren't a fan of either, but the fact of the matter is people use services like Origin and Steam because they have to use it. They want a game that is Valve or Steamworks, so they use Steam. Origin really isn't any different, its just coming late to the party and is less mature, we'll see over the coming months if EA decide to add some little features like tracking hours played, a decent chat system, gifting of games... I'm struggling to think of any features Steam has beyond those :p

I don't really see how that bears any relevance. For a more recent example, Portal 2 forces you to use Steam and won't even let you buy it from other digital distribution services, at least you can still buy EA games elsewhere if you please.

Honestly, whine all you want, but I don't see it changing anything. EA knows the majority of people who have accepted Steam into their hearts, which is almost everyone these days, will more than likely have no issue with Origin either.

If they improve their UI and overall service, I'm fine with Origin. As it stands, Steam is just better software. The bolded is conjecture.

If they improve their UI and overall service, I'm fine with Origin. As it stands, Steam is just better software.
I won't deny Steam is, in some ways, better software. However I don't use it because its great software, I use it because, 1) there was a time before online regional pricing when games were cheaper on Steam than in Australian retail stores, that is no longer true of most games, 2) certain games come with Steamworks requiring the use of Steam. I doubt most people use Steam based on the fact its good software (which frankly I don't think it is anyway), but rather because its there, some games require it and because they already have a library of games on it. Hell, I bought Batman AC on GMG, the software from GMG sucks, but it was half the price of Steam so I don't really care all that much, its not affecting the game itself in any way.
The bolded is conjecture.
It is conjecture, I edited my post to say why I believe, in part, that its the case though.

Steam has always been great for me. Origin's been fine for the most part too, but I just don't feel the need for it. The damn thing is like a diet version of Steam. Kind of crappy.

Agreed. Especially for BF3...it serves no purpose whatsoever. And like you said, even with full functionality it is a watered-down Steam clone at best.

boooo, I dislike origin alot! there in game chat is awful compared to steam. also the I wish at least the friend on origin synced up with friends on battlelog.

I doubt most people use Steam based on the fact its good software

It's really just more convenient, that's the rub. Sure, people like you and I will try to find the best deal, but most people will just hop on Steam click a couple buttons, then download their game. That's what these publishers have to deal with when Steam has half a decade headstart. Even my mom knows what Steam is, and she doesn't give a shit about games.

boooo, I dislike origin alot! there in game chat is awful compared to steam. also the I wish at least the friend on origin synced up with friends on battlelog.

I don't ever use the chat features of Steam. I basically just buy stuff through it, occasionally gift games to other people and that's pretty much it. It manages patches for the games etc. I also like the stat tracking (playtime and achievements) and news about each game.

I won't deny Steam is, in some ways, better software. However I don't use it because its great software, I use it because, 1) there was a time before online regional pricing when games were cheaper on Steam than in Australian retail stores, that is no longer true of most games, 2) certain games come with Steamworks requiring the use of Steam. I doubt most people use Steam based on the fact its good software (which frankly I don't think it is anyway), but rather because its there, some games require it and because they already have a library of games on it. Hell, I bought Batman AC on GMG, the software from GMG sucks, but it was half the price of Steam so I don't really care all that much, its not affecting the game itself in any way.It is conjecture, I edited my post to say why I believe, in part, that its the case though.

Please do us all the honor of explaining exactly how Steam is not a great piece of software, I'd like to hear this one. As a distribution platform, Steam is exceptional on every level of delivering to the customers what they want. The convenience of autopatching, multiple download servers, having all your games in one location, an easy, intuitive UI, a great friends list, voice chat (which I noticed my friends using when they played BF3 to communicate), you can gift games, the list goes on.

It's heads and shoulders better than any other DD platform, it's superior on every level and it offers something for everybody, you can use Steam however you like, the features are there to bring your gaming experience to the level you want it to be at.

I have used Amazon.com before, but NOT to download a game, but to get the key to put on Steam.

The only other true DD platform I have used was GoG.com's, they offer nothing more than a simple download launcher. That's perfectly fine for the purposes of the software they distribute, which is mostly old games (duh!).

Origin offers no compelling reason at all to use it over Steam, the only reason for using it is because you CHOOSE to buy EA games. You are not forced to use Origin, by choosing to buy an EA game, you made the choice to accept Origin as part of the package deal.

This Steam vs Origin thing is stupid, it's no contest really, Steam is heads and shoulders better than Origin can ever be.

This Steam vs Origin thing is stupid, it's no contest really, Steam is heads and shoulders better than Origin can ever be.

This is why everyone knows to ignore everything you ever say. A comment saying item "a" will always be better then item "b" is ignorant and just plain stupid.

Bottom line is this is EA we're talking about - the very definition of an evil soulless corporation. They will screw you every chance they get.

For every person complaining on the forums (and even most of those are customers) there are thousands who just hand over their money and frankly don't care about these issues. Companies are realizing gamers are a captive audience who no matter how much they whine, will always be back for more.

Bottom line is this is EA we're talking about - the very definition of an evil soulless corporation. They will screw you every chance they get.

For every person complaining on the forums (and even most of those are customers) there are thousands who just hand over their money and frankly don't care about these issues. Companies are realizing gamers are a captive audience who no matter how much they whine, will always be back for more.

Tell that to the various large game companies that have gone out of business...

I don't think origin is all that terrible, I mean it is not great and Steam is a damn fine program, but from the stories I've read EA's tech support regarding origin has been pretty damn good. I've seen people get full refunds for TOR, get older games put onto their account when they didn't have the cd keys etc.

Sure I'd prefer to use Steam for ALL of my games... but Origin isn't that bad. Play BF3, Crysis 2 and SWTOR through Origin with no problems.

to NOT play Mass Effect 3 because it requires Origin is just absurd. I cannot wait, easily my most anticipated title since ME2!

I've downloaded three games through Origin - Mass Effect 2, Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 (2222222). Mass Effect 2 requires Origin to work, yet Crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 run fine without Origin on.

Please do us all the honor of explaining exactly how Steam is not a great piece of software, I'd like to hear this one. As a distribution platform, Steam is exceptional on every level of delivering to the customers what they want. The convenience of autopatching, multiple download servers, having all your games in one location, an easy, intuitive UI, a great friends list, voice chat (which I noticed my friends using when they played BF3 to communicate), you can gift games, the list goes on.

It's heads and shoulders better than any other DD platform, it's superior on every level and it offers something for everybody, you can use Steam however you like, the features are there to bring your gaming experience to the level you want it to be at.

I have used Amazon.com before, but NOT to download a game, but to get the key to put on Steam.

The only other true DD platform I have used was GoG.com's, they offer nothing more than a simple download launcher. That's perfectly fine for the purposes of the software they distribute, which is mostly old games (duh!).

Origin offers no compelling reason at all to use it over Steam, the only reason for using it is because you CHOOSE to buy EA games. You are not forced to use Origin, by choosing to buy an EA game, you made the choice to accept Origin as part of the package deal.

Wow wow there kiddo, slow down, way to take what I said completely out of context. You even quoted what I said and you STILL took it out of context. Here, let me remind you of it... "Steam is, in some ways, better software." I was not comparing Steam to Origin when I said I don't think its great software.

Now since you asked, why isn't Steam great software? Ok, I'll go through my own personal gripes with Steam.

1. Offline mode is crap. Now, people will hound Ubi for having always on DRM, and Steam DOES have an offline mode, but for the 2 years I lived in share accomodation with flaky internet, I can say the offline mode is a pain in the arse to use. If you get disconnected because of bad internet sometimes you'll try and relaunch in offline mode sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. If you launch in online mode and want to swap to offline mode and it finds some games aren't up to date, you won't be able to play those games when you get into offline mode. Its just a hassle.

2. Autoupdating can be annoying for various reasons and can't be reliably or easily turned off.

3. The platform IS still buggy. I've been using Steam for years and over that time I've had it go through times of not launching on the first attempt for no apparent reason, games redownloading themselves from scratch when a new patch was released, having to play with download servers to get it to stop "suspending" certain downloads, when I had a bad internet cap I had to use 3rd party programs to force it to download from certain unmetered servers instead of just downloading from where ever it wanted, one game wasn't launching so I went to verify cache and it deleted and redownloaded the entire game.

I think Steam is an "ok" program. Hopefully the presence of Origin makes Valve fix some of the long persisting issues the platform has.

I agree the Steam versus Origin thing is stupid... I wasn't comparing Steam to Origin when I didn't think Steam was a great platform. If I had the choice, I wouldn't use any program like Steam or Origin. But the simple fact of the matter is, I use them because they have games I want and my games are tied to those programs. I don't sit down at my computer and think "yay! I'm going to play with Steam/Origin", I think "yay! I'm going to play a game... oh that's right, I have to launch Steam/Origin before I can do that".

If I could, I wouldn't use either program, but since you have to use them, that's not a choice. But once you launch a game, does it really matter that much where you launched it from? Oh that's right, Steam tracks your hours played, whoopty friggin do :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Every one of these threads:
"I dislike origin because it [reason x], [reason y], [reason z]"

"B...But Steam! You're just a Steam fanboy!"

"That doesn't excuse Steam either."

"Well it's like that on Steam too so there."

I never, ever, in a million years thought that I'd see the day when there was an "EA Defense Force".

Remember until Koktick really stepped up his game, EA was the worst thing to happen to gaming. EA apparently didn't want to lose that crown so they, in turn, stepped up their anti-consumer game in 2011 and they're now neck and neck with Activision in a race to the bottom.

And now EA has an army of drones willing to bash their competitors and praise EA's products, and even do it without EA having to pay them a dime! They are white knights, rushing to EA's aid, rescuing their precious damsel in distress.

I have to hand it to EA's marketing team. They know their audience, and they know how to reel in the useful idiots...and there are a lot of them.

Every one of these threads:
"I dislike origin because it [reason x], [reason y], [reason z]"

"B...But Steam! You're just a Steam fanboy!"

"That doesn't excuse Steam either."

"Well it's like that on Steam too so there."

I never, ever, in a million years thought that I'd see the day when there was an "EA Defense Force".

Remember until Koktick really stepped up his game, EA was the worst thing to happen to gaming. EA apparently didn't want to lose that crown so they, in turn, stepped up their anti-consumer game in 2011 and they're now neck and neck with Activision in a race to the bottom.

And now EA has an army of drones willing to bash their competitors and praise EA's products, and even do it without EA having to pay them a dime! They are white knights, rushing to EA's aid, rescuing their precious damsel in distress.

I have to hand it to EA's marketing team. They know their audience, and they know how to reel in the useful idiots...and there are a lot of them.

No one is defending EA, they're attacking the stupidity of the reasoning for not buying games because of Origin ;)

This is why everyone knows to ignore everything you ever say. A comment saying item "a" will always be better then item "b" is ignorant and just plain stupid.

Listen friend, I have no quarrel with you. You might not like what I said, but that's no reason to make this into some kind of personal attack.

It's perfectly fine if you have an opinion that differs with the one that I present on the forum. Why can't we discuss it like gentlemen instead of engaging the sort of unconstructive dialogue that earns infractions?

My choice of phrasing, may have been unfortunate in nature (from your own perspective), and perhaps it could even be changed to be more articulate, you may be correct in that. I see what you're trying to say there. I will try to make my posts a little bit better and put more thought into how I phrase my posts so that what I am trying to articulate comes across better and prevents future misunderstandings.

Having said that, I am hopeful that you will reach a decision that it is in your best interest to debate the merits of my argument rather than turning what should be a topic open for debate into something so personal.

Thank you for your consideration.

With regards to Origin, I just do not feel like it is a superior service compared to what Steam has to offer (and Steam has an extensive record behind it), and it does not have all the features that Steam does. I also do not like the idea of having my game library split up. Surely any reasonable person would understand the perspective of someone who enjoys having all their games (which are rather meaningful things to those of us here (else you wouldn't be in General Gaming) ), in one place.

My feelings about that supplement (and align) with what I feel about a customer being able to have their Origin account locked due to something they said on their forums or for whatever reason that doesn't involve cheating or anything illegal.

I consider it to be theft to having your account full of games you bought and paid for with legal tender locked for a post you may or may not have made on their forum.

It's perfectly fine if someone wants to disagree with me, I'm only proclaiming my own opinion on that. If someone downloads games, that's considered piracy, why should a company taking away games you legally bought and paid for not be considered theft when it's not for purposes related to cheating or exploiting their software?

Why would a reasonable person argue against that? (this isn't an attack on those who would argue to support EA for locking accounts, but merely an appeal for there to be voices of reason on this, with arguments that articulate that perspective.)

Last edited:
Seriously, Steam isn't all that great, and to me I hate the slow download speeds, and the offline mode just doesn't work all the time. And having to have the internet verify your game all the time just to play it is just bullshit, I already paid and activated the game already, is that enough?

What can I say, I don't care enough about a handful of random forum dwellers who more than likely acted like douchebags to stand up for them by not buying a game I would otherwise enjoy :rolleyes: It's also a bit much to say EA could ever "rule" over us like Plato would be describing, they provide a form of entertainment, nothing more.
When they start oppressing people, raping women and eating small children, let me know and I'll show a little less indifference. ;)

The implications of Plato's concerns may be less dire in the context of trivial hobbies like video games, but the potential consequences he averts to are just as relevant.

As for the policy itself, you can argue with me until the end of time, I will never concede that any behavior on an internet forum of all places is a reasonable basis to deprive a user of access to software they have legally paid for.

If you're a passenger in a car and the driver takes a path that you don't agree with, you're not gonna jump out of the car and walk there instead to protest :p

Don't be surprised if the location you eventually arrive at is somewhere you would rather not be.

The implications of Plato's concerns may be less dire in the context of trivial hobbies like video games, but the potential consequences he averts to are just as relevant.

As for the policy itself, you can argue with me until the end of time, I will never concede that any behavior on an internet forum of all places is a reasonable basis to deprive a user of access to software they have legally paid for.

Don't be surprised if the location you eventually arrive at is somewhere you would rather not be.

It's not so much that I agree with you, and I do, but that old quote that goes along the lines of something such as "for evil to triumph, good men have to only but do nothing", that I find relevant.

This is of course, only my opinion, I do not expect others to agree with it.

If gentlemen such as myself and yourself do not speak up, then who will? Shall we be silenced and deny the reality that is the abomination of what is happening before our very eyes be manifest of our reality, or shall we speak out against it, and attempt (even if we do not succeed), to change the outcome of such?

What is better? What is more becoming of valor? You know full well where I stand and I recognize your position on this matter, and I believe it to be the correct one and one I support fully.

It is the right of others to disagree with us, I would only ask them to give us their reasons for accepting such a drastic course that would put one on a trajectory to be that of other than what is correct, proper, and befitting of justice.

Back