Mad Max (2015)

Guess we have to agree to disagree about Arkham/Mordor combat vs. Mad Max.

In Batman, sure, if you do more "stylistic" moves you get a better score, but you can still succeed in multi-opponent combat by just mashing the button because it auto-combos and auto-targets a new enemy once you've knocked out the current one. Go watch the Worth a Buy video about Batman combat, he literally has a camera on the controller of him mashing the same button and NOTHING ELSE and beats up half a dozen guys...I think he maybe gets hit once or something. I played through Asylum and some of City and that was more or less my experience as well.

In Mordor, which I also finished, it was a little better but still became absurdly easy, even against 100+ enemies at once. As long as you hit the counter button at the right time you were invincible.

In Mad Max, it's a bit slower and there is no auto-targeting of new opponents. Also, the counter move can be touchier than in the other games, whereas it's VERY forgiving in Batman and Mordor. If you miss a counter you can very easily get hit multiple times, and you can get more than one guy coming at you at once with only the ability to counter one (unlike Mordor where you can counter two and they never seem to come at you more than two at a time).

As far as how difficult the combat is, I'd have to say from my experience that it's Max followed by Mordor and then Batman as the easiest. I don't think I ever died once from Batman combat in the time that I played those titles.

Assassin's Creed combat is just obnoxious, I guess we can agree there.

So if you intentionally make the combat boring it's boring? I can mash my way through God of War, Devil May Cry, etc but if I told people that those games are dull and mashy because I was intentionally not caring I'd, rightfully, be called out for it and told I'm playing them wrong. If you don't care to try and actually explore the mechanics and see how things work of course a game will be boring. Like I said, games are so reliant on getting an emotional react from the player. If you don't have that for whatever reason then things simply won't click for you. There's nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. I can play through the Dynasty Warriors games and the various spin-offs and notice the little tweaks and tricks that have changed through all of the games because I'm a fan and I care about those games. Other people will look at them and go "they're all the same, nothing is different"

I wouldn't call Mad Max less forgiving, it's less consistent. The timing on the counters never seems quite right. The amount of time you have never feels like it has any rhyme or reason to it. With Batman or SOM you can get a feel for exactly how long you have to counter something. That isn't there with Mad Max. The pacing is also kind of bad when it comes to fights. Nothing flows right. Being slower is fine but it's slower and that's it. There's nothing more to it beyond simply being an average, very easy, system.

If you're judging the combat purely based on "feeling" then I would have to give it to Mad Max. The combat in mad max feels more visceral and rewarding. Heavy punches have weight to them and not being able to counter with split second animations makes the encounter have a sense of danger to it when surrounded by 6+ maniacs. When performing a finisher Max still has a chance of getting hit by any of the various enemies and they all sort of gang up on him at once which just gives the game an added element of risk. Max wasn't a skilled fighter and he got beat up more often than not when surrounded which is why I feel like the combat in this game outclasses that of the Arkham games where being surrounded had little to no risk and Batman can react with inhuman reflexes. Also the corpses had some wonky physics I didn't care for.

Also an assassin is not the same thing as a Ninja. An assassin's first and foremost goal is to kill, not necessarily remain unseen. My 2 cents :)

Which is why the game was more well known for its parkour system. Assassin's Creed relied on getting in for the kill silently and getting out as fast as possible.

Last edited:
If you're judging the combat purely based on "feeling" then I would have to give it to Mad Max. The combat in mad max feels more visceral and rewarding. Heavy punches have weight to them and not being able to counter with split second animations makes the encounter have a sense of danger to it when surrounded by 6+ maniacs. When performing a finisher Max still has a chance of getting hit by any of the various enemies and they all sort of gang up on him at once which just gives the game an added element of risk. Max wasn't a skilled fighter and he got beat up more often than not when surrounded which is why I feel like the combat in this game outclasses that of the Arkham games where being surrounded had little to no risk and Batman can react with inhuman reflexes. Also the corpses had some wonky physics I didn't care for.

I don't feel in any danger when surrounded by enemies in Mad Max. I've played for 17 hours according to Steam and I don't think I've died once in combat, even when fighting groups buffed by War Cryers.

I don't feel in any danger when surrounded by enemies in Mad Max. I've played for 17 hours according to Steam and I don't think I've died once in combat, even when fighting groups buffed by War Cryers.

the different fights from different enemies

I haven't died by regular units but I have had trouble fighting them at times. I mostly handicapped myself by not upgrading Max until much later in the game because I spent most of the upgrade scrap on my car.

Just purchased this for $23. Worth the risk I figure. Heard so many mixed reviews.

So if you intentionally make the combat boring it's boring?
A game does need to present you with reasons to use all the tricks in your bag. Part of Mad Max's problem is you don't have many tricks in your bag and the game is designed so the most effective tactic is "tap Y when balloon appears then pound X" and in extreme circumstances "tap RB instead of Y". Even the small amount of depth they added with heavy attacks is pointless because there's almost no reason to use it, there's a few enemies that block you and a heavy attack can be useful to break them, but by the time you figure out you're up against a blocking enemy you've probably already almost killed them by tapping Y and then smashing X.

A combat system needs to give you reasons to do things. If it has combos, it needs to encourage you to use them by giving you a benefit for using them. If it has heavy attacks, it needs circumstances where you're actually better off using them. Especially when with all of those things there's still not a lot of depth to begin with.

I wouldn't call Mad Max less forgiving, it's less consistent. The timing on the counters never seems quite right. The amount of time you have never feels like it has any rhyme or reason to it.
Maybe it's because I never really got in to the Arkham games so I don't have as many preconceptions as most people.... but I don't find the MM system all that inconsistent. Rarely have I been surprised when a counter fails, I usually can pre-emptively guess which counters are going to fail. Max needs enough time and space to perform the counter animation, when he doesn't, it fails. The only time it's slightly been a bit confusing is when I discovered you pretty much can't counter when fighting on steep stairs and your opponent is below you.

Clocked 32 hours. Finished all side missions and the story.

After about 15 hours I've stopped bothering with salvage looting, only done places that contained some plan parts. They are just too many of them to bother with very minor reward from each.
Also didn't bother to stop to talk to most of the wastelanders.

Well I just got the steam code from CDkeys.com for $15.75. Couldn't pass that up. I figure it will keep me busy for a while, should be worth it.

$15 now!? Jesus.. either CDKeys found a gold mine of Russian keys or WB is desperate for sales.

Russia keys tend to be region locked these days. They're probably from somewhere else.

It's very suspicious considering Mad Max is currently available for $15.62 in equivalent to the Russian Ruble and the next one up from there is $25 for Malaysia.

These $15 Russian keys = cancer

Nope. They equal paying what people think a game is worth. There is no way in hell the game is worth $60. I paid $20 and I think that's a great price for it.

if u think the game is worth only 20$ then there is something wrong with u cheapskate.. this game runs good, looks good and is just as fun to play as gta v which i havent touched in weeks.. indie games are worth 15-20$ but this is an AAA title people like u are the reason piracy is so high on pcgames everyone are so cheap today on good games unlike the fiasco with Batman which still that pos isnt for sale yet on steam lmao... im up at maybe 20hours or so i still have a few missions left on the mainstory but i can easy add double that doing all the extra stuff in this game and u tell me this game isnt worth 60$ for the content ?

Apparently people think video games are developed on farts and sunshine.

Nope. They equal paying what people think a game is worth. There is no way in hell the game is worth $60. I paid $20 and I think that's a great price for it.

Cool. Never said people should pay $60. But I call bullshit anyway - if some shady keysite was offering stolen keys for a dollar I'm sure you'd think that's a great price too.

Stick it to the man, bro.

Last edited:
Apparently people think video games are developed on farts and sunshine.

People only see their little world. Far be it for them to attempt to wrap their heads around the relative merits and economics of regionalized pricing and why it came to being and why it benefits everyone. And then these people are usually the same names you'll see bitching about publishers clamping down on region locking, shitty console ports, and being treated as the secondclass platform.

People only see their little world. Far be it for them to attempt to wrap their heads around the relative merits and economics that necessitated regionalized pricing to come into being. And then these people are usually the same names you'll see bitching about publishers clamping down on region locking, shitty console ports, and being treated as the secondclass platform.

I'm a consumer. It is not my job to worry about budgets or anything like that. If I think a game is worth full price I'll pay full price. If not then I will only pay the price I'm comfortable paying. It is the duty of the consumer to ONLY pay what they are comfortable paying and not a penny more. I have no pity for these big publishers. If they prove that they're worth me giving them full price then I will. Also, get off your high horse. The people who buy from these sites aren't the majority.

I'll never understand how people equate a good game with how much they paid for it...a game is good or bad based on the game itself...paying $20 for an average game doesn't make the game better cause you paid less...

I'm a consumer. It is not my job to worry about budgets or anything like that. If I think a game is worth full price I'll pay full price. If not then I will only pay the price I'm comfortable paying. It is the duty of the consumer to ONLY pay what they are comfortable paying and not a penny more. I have no pity for these big publishers. If they prove that they're worth me giving them full price then I will. Also, get off your high horse. The people who buy from these sites aren't the majority.

None of what you said even makes sense!

I'll never understand how people equate a good game with how much they paid for it...a game is good or bad based on the game itself...paying $20 for an average game doesn't make the game better cause you paid less...

Because an average game isn't worth full price. Why should I reward a company with a $60 purchase when I don't feel the game is worth that price to me?

None of what you said even makes sense!

I'll put a blunt point on it: I don't give a damn what it costs to make a game. I care what that game is worth to me and what I'm willing to pay for it. I refuse to pay a single penny more for a game than what I feel it's worth. If that means grey market sites, so be it. Otherwise I'll simply wait.

I would never have paid $60 for this game...probably not even $40. So either way they are not getting my money for full price. $20 felt right to me and based on how the game turned out, I feel comfortable with that amount. Whether I bought the game now for $20 or 6 months from now when it's down to $20 elsewhere, doesn't really matter.

paying over 150.00 for Destiny and all the DLC plus the Taken King would be insane.
Unless you just like the game. You need to see the game as a art project rather then a product of substance.
I played this game for a hour and half tonight picks up later on.

Because an average game isn't worth full price. Why should I reward a company with a $60 purchase when I don't feel the game is worth that price to me?

I'll put a blunt point on it: I don't give a damn what it costs to make a game. I care what that game is worth to me and what I'm willing to pay for it. I refuse to pay a single penny more for a game than what I feel it's worth. If that means grey market sites, so be it. Otherwise I'll simply wait.

Jeez, entitled much? It's attitudes like that the reason good companies sink.

My rule is that if I get more hours of enjoyment out of the game than the dollars I paid for the game, it is a good game.

My rule is that if I get more hours of enjoyment out of the game than the dollars I paid for the game, it is a good game.

$60 for 60 hours is a bit much. I don't remember the last time I spent 60 hours on a game other than Skyrim and Pay2Play MMOs. I think minimum wage price is right to me. My state is about $7.50 so anything over 8 hours = a great game to me.

$60 for 60 hours is a bit much. I don't remember the last time I spent 60 hours on a game other than Skyrim and Pay2Play MMOs. I think minimum wage price is right to me. My state is about $7.50 so anything over 8 hours = a great game to me.

Well, for example, BF4+Premium I paid 70 bucks. I think I've played over 400 hours.
AC Black Flag - paid 20 bucks, played for over 30 hours.

Stuff like that. Usually I do not pay $60 for anything ever.. that's just stupid if you can get the game off GMG or similar sites for way less.

I think 1-2$ per hour is perfect. I put 140 hours in Evolve, 150+ into each of the borderlands. A lot of other games I've put in 30-80 hours. Seems about right.

So I guess you only buy games on release for full price, right? Anything less would make you a hypocrite.

If it's a game I belive is going to be fun then yes I do. I hardly ever have had a bad experience buying a game at full price when it's released. Except for maybe Destiny. Besides that, when a publisher puts a game on sale it's different than taking advantage of a failing economy in another country.

I think 1-2$ per hour is perfect. I put 140 hours in Evolve, 150+ into each of the borderlands. A lot of other games I've put in 30-80 hours. Seems about right.

I tend to buy a game, play it for 8-12 hours, beat it and buy a new one. It's been over 2 weeks and I have roughly 12 hours of Metal Gear and 10 hours on Mad Max. I got my moneys worth for both those games. Multiplayer games are different in the sense that you always have fun playing with or against new people and you're challenging yourself everytime you play, so I can see why those games would last much longer. For a story game to get me in the mood for over 10 hours that's worth 5 movie theater visits for me.

Last edited:
My mindset on buying keys that were meant for sale in a foreign country is that if I can order physical items from them on the internet, then digital keys are fine also. I've ordered cameras, toys, headphones, etc from Hong Kong via EBAY and Amazon. My family members have ordered T-Shirts and CD's from Japan, South Korea, etc. Chinese sellers are awesome to work with! All of them are very happy to ship the items quickly and packaged correctly. So what sacred moral law am I breaking by ordering a code from a dealer in the same country?

I thought the internet brought about a commerce revolution where you can freely trade with people in foreign countries. Obviously the game publishers like doing business in other countries. Selling keys there brings them enough profit that they are willing to sell them there. Did the Dragon Age Inquisition key that I bought from the Origin Store in Mexico run Bioware out of business? Or did I just buy it on sale a little quicker than EA may have wanted? I could have waited 3 months for the inevitable sale and gotten it even cheaper.

I just don't see the big deal. Maybe my purchase is altering their sales projections by region?

Jeez, entitled much? It's attitudes like that the reason good companies sink.

Entitled is such a bullshit word, used when people have no real argument. I'm not entitled at all. I never once said I was entitled to anything. Either a company convinces me to buy a game at full price or they don't. I'm not entitled to anything except a working product. I however have no interest in feeling pity for big publishers. If Mad Max is a failure it won't be because I paid $20 for a key, it will be because of WB having no faith in the game and not bothering to market it.

I don't really like that view myself. To me it's more about how much I enjoyed my time with the game and not how long it lasted. I'll take a great 5 hour experience over a dull 20+ hour one at the same price any day. Some of my favorite games are short single player experiences, but they provide me with enough of good experience that whatever I spent on it at the time was well worth it.

Value of time is subjective. You don't value time in a movie theater the same as the time with a prostitute

Back