Love your socket 754?

WOOT! RESULTS!! I decided to give my uncapped Venice another try, and I got 2.97 GHz @ 1.65v :D :cool: . The SATA was holding me back, of which I now know :p . After 2.97 it took massive amounts of voltage to push 1 or 2 mhz. I got 3.00 Unstable on 1.81v . So I settled for 2.97, now I gotta find one of those rare 7800 GT AGP's :) . PC4000 RAM coming soon, WOOT!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Goodies on the way. Got the case already, should get the rest tomorrow.

EVGA 6800gs (450/1050)
Gigabyte NF4x board (yeah, yeah, I know, should have went for something else, didn't want to wait for the MSI)
another 512mb of the Crucial I already have
Antec tx640b (replacing the slk3000 I bought a couple weeks ago)
Freezer 64 pro

so, ive been thinking of moving over to pcie. but im not sure what board to go with. im going to need to run a HTT of 350mhz so my sempron can keep nice and overclocked but there really isnt much info out there about boards that can do this. as of now im leaning towards the DFI infinity, but does anyone else have any other suggestions of what board i should go with?

grahamf said:
so, ive been thinking of moving over to pcie. but im not sure what board to go with. im going to need to run a HTT of 350mhz so my sempron can keep nice and overclocked but there really isnt much info out there about boards that can do this. as of now im leaning towards the DFI infinity, but does anyone else have any other suggestions of what board i should go with?
DFI Infinity or Abit NV8 are really your only 2 options with some sort of decent voltage controls and memory tweaks. The Biostar 6100 chipset is capable of over 300Mhz HTT, but it's memory tweaks are quiet limited, and voltages are nothing to post about.
Can't speak for the DFI, but the NV8 has an easy 90% of the memory options of DFI NF4, and has voltages of CPU - 1.8v, RAM - 3.2v.
Just make sure you use BIOS 11 or 12, they fix the 250Mhz bug in the BIOS. TicTac also has a modified version of BIOS 12 that enables more memory tweaks, and clears up a couple of other things that I liked. You'll have to PM him for it on one of the forums he frequents.

Do you guys think the Newark 4000+ will become more affordable soon? I'm tempted to pick up one, but the $350 pricetag is a tad high. My 3700+ was only $199.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. I would expect a modest price drop in 6 months or so, but nothing to drool over. I could expect $300 for the proccie by that time given its a niche product.

The killer deal was the 3700 @ $155 back in Octoberish '05 from ewiz....

I "Settled" for a 3400NC @ $121 shipped from Monarch 2 weeks ago. I'm pleased. :)

I'm wondering what to get: a Sempron 3100+ or an A64 3000+ Newcastle, only ones that I can choose. Which one would overclock better and what kind of boost should I see?

The 512kb cache sound tempting but I've heard the Semprons overclock well around 2.6ghz so would it be a better choice?

Get a 3000+ Venice for $120 from Newegg. 90nm architecture w/SSE3 support, 1.4v on the vcore w/512 kb cache. They oc quite well.

I'm in Europe so I can't get any from Newegg, but do you have core numbers, steppings, anything to identify a Venice? I might be able to choose from some chips so I need some info to get me started ;)

BigMacAttack said:
Get a 3000+ Venice for $120 from Newegg. 90nm architecture w/SSE3 support, 1.4v on the vcore w/512 kb cache. They oc quite well.

Wish I could get ANYthing for the egg...fricken guys won't ship to Canada. :mad:

sp1nfer said:
I'm wondering what to get: a Sempron 3100+ or an A64 3000+ Newcastle, only ones that I can choose. Which one would overclock better and what kind of boost should I see?

The 512kb cache sound tempting but I've heard the Semprons overclock well around 2.6ghz so would it be a better choice?

If you go sempron, the 2800 is the sweet spot for bang/buck. You won't get any more for your money with the 3100 assuming your mobo can hit decent speeds on the 2800's lower multiplier.
xbit labs did some decent testing of cores of different amts. of L2....128 vs. 256 vs. 512 vs. 1mb.
The biggest jump came from 512 to 1mb. The other jumps were minor, although folks report better 'multitasking' with more L2. I can attest to that, as I went from a 2800 sempron to a Newark at roughly the same clock speeds OC'ed. It isn't huge, but it is noticable.

Finally got my machine rebuilt last night. Only able to hit 2.5ghz at stock voltage. With a 0.05v bump I can hit 2.6 (never tried higher), but 2.5 is plenty fast (2.4 is too, but I can't just settle for stock). This heatsink is HUGE! The eVGA 6800gs also overclocks nicely. 520/1.25 is what was autodetected, dropped it down to 500/1.2 just to be safe. This motherboard is okay. It has enough overclocking features to keep all (me) but the most [H]ardcore overclocker happy. I probably should have waited for the MSI to comeback in stock. The IDE connectors are so close to my HD that I barely have room for the cables. I guess thats because Antec puts a fan mount inside the HD cage. Gonna have to rearrange it.

Anybody know where I can get some really short, single device rounded IDE cables made?

I'm in Europe so I can't get any from Newegg, but do you have core numbers, steppings, anything to identify a Venice? I might be able to choose from some chips so I need some info to get me started
sp1nfer - here you go:
Athlon 64 3400+, OPN: 'ADA3400AIK4BO' - rev. DH-E3, 2.4GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 67W TDP
Athlon 64 3200+, OPN: 'ADA3200AIO4BX' - rev. DH-E6, 2.2GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 59W TDP
Athlon 64 3000+, OPN: 'ADA3000AIK4BX' - rev. DH-E6, 2.0GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 51W TDP

I have heard that the 3400+ is being installed by some vendors here in the U.S. as of now but, like the 3200+, is not yet available "over the counter" so to speak.
The 3000+ is available in Box form in Europe and the U.S. I have seen some Russian websites showing an oc of 2.8 ghz @ 1.605v and many other oc results of 2.65 ghz. Mine is presently running at 2.56 ghz @1.52v

Here is a copy of a post on the AMD forums by a guy named Greyhound who is a forum moderator:

Reply:
"I would prefer a 3200+ though, do they exist?"

Answer:
"Yes, they do exist.
The following 754-pin Desktop revision E parts are available at present:

Athlon 64 3400+, OPN: 'ADA3400AIK4BO' - rev. DH-E3, 2.4GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 67W TDP
Athlon 64 3200+, OPN: 'ADA3200AIO4BX' - rev. DH-E6, 2.2GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 59W TDP
Athlon 64 3000+, OPN: 'ADA3000AIK4BX' - rev. DH-E6, 2.0GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 51W TDP

Concerning the question of core codenames or core types, you could call them 'Venice', but then again you shouldn't...I'll explain:

As you may have noticed, these 'new' 754-pin Desktop Athlon 64s have the same part definitions (last two characters of the OPN - 'BO' or 'BX' in this case) as their 754-pin Desktop Sempron cousins.

Now if you take a quick glance at the current Revision Guide, you will notice that there are no CH-Ex parts mentioned in there which means there are currently no revision E parts with a physical L2-cache size of 256KB.

Consequently , all 754-pin Desktop Semprons use DH-Ex cores which means 'Palermo' is actually a core with 512KB of physical L2-cache, half or 3/4 of which is disabled when it is used in a Sempron processor, leaving 256KB or 128KB of functional L2-cache.

So, what we know as the 'Palermo' Sempron-core is pretty much a 'Venice' on a 754-pin package with its memory-controller stuck in 64-bit mode - also, parts of the L2-cache *can* be disabled (i.e. if the core is used on a Sempron).
Generally, there aren't really as many physically different cores as the number of core-codenames might suggest... "

Wish I could get ANYthing for the egg...fricken guys won't ship to Canada.
Seems to me your best bet would be Fry's as I believe they are a Canadian distributor. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

holy cow, BigMacAttack thanks, great post ;)

going to browse trough some chips proabably this week, I'll post as soon I buy and start OCing it

Muahahahha
I have a sempron 64 2600+
My mobo SUCKS at ocing, I cant edit or see the multi.
I have my FSB at around 210 or 215 now, at 1.7 ghz.

My only question is,
How do you get a stress test in linux to work? T-T I am a linux nub.

anyways, I am still ocing, so dont worry, I just need a stress test program so I know its stable.

i regret seling my socket 754,

it was a die hard board, nf dfi lp, and a 6800 ultra, and a 3200+, heat monster

I'm considering selling my Swiftech Storm and my Maze 4. I keep finding other things I'd rather spend my money and these are the only two WC components I have.

Just wondering if I could join the club. Specs are in sig. My 3700+ does 2.7 easily, with some tweaking should go farther. Just built this pc a couple of weeks ago.

Have no idea what temps are, as they go all over the place. Its stable at 1.85 volts though, so I dont care what the temps are.

Are the best bios the latest at dfi's website? Or is there better modded ones? Thanks

L1ght said:
Just wondering if I could join the club. Specs are in sig. My 3700+ does 2.7 easily, with some tweaking should go farther. Just built this pc a couple of weeks ago.

Have no idea what temps are, as they go all over the place. Its stable at 1.85 volts though, so I dont care what the temps are.

Are the best bios the latest at dfi's website? Or is there better modded ones? Thanks

That's a sweet machine! :eek:

Watch the temps though, even if it's stable now, high voltage can slowly damage the processor and kill it's overclocking ability. I have no idea what voltage / temps you should be looking for with that water setup but I'm sure someone else here could answer.

mercedes-benz said:
Muahahahha
I have a sempron 64 2600+
My mobo SUCKS at ocing, I cant edit or see the multi.
I have my FSB at around 210 or 215 now, at 1.7 ghz.

My only question is,
How do you get a stress test in linux to work? T-T I am a linux nub.

anyways, I am still ocing, so dont worry, I just need a stress test program so I know its stable.

If you want to stress test a 'nix box....

create a really strong password for a user. Make it 15 characters, mixture of Caps, lowercase, numbers, special characters...

Throw that into John the Ripper. Let it sit for days.....weeks.... :) That's what mine is doing

uzum4ki said:
That's a sweet machine! :eek:

Watch the temps though, even if it's stable now, high voltage can slowly damage the processor and kill it's overclocking ability. I have no idea what voltage / temps you should be looking for with that water setup but I'm sure someone else here could answer.
Thanks!

I am not running at 1.85 volts 24/7... I got to spend some time to see what I need to hit 2.7, I just maxed the voltage the first run. I think I had my HD plugged into a unlocked SATA port, so that is probably why I hit a wall so soon. I think Ill see how far it will go at 1.75, seems like a safe amount.

And if the processor dies, I have a very good reason to get a 4000+ Newark! :D o wait...

L1ght, I've had my naked 3700+ at 1.85V on water since October or so. Don't sweat the voltage. It's fine. The temp sensor on the NF4X Infinity is screwy so just run OCCT torture test and see if your chip can handle it. The temps on water are never going to get out of control. My CPU is at 2760 and it runs OCCT for hours without crashing.

aldamon said:
L1ght, I've had my naked 3700+ at 1.85V on water since October or so. Don't sweat the voltage. It's fine. The temp sensor on the NF4X Infinity is screwy so just run OCCT torture test and see if your chip can handle it. The temps on water are never going to get out of control. My CPU is at 2760 and it runs OCCT for hours without crashing.
I didnt really care how much voltage I put in it. OCCT is part of prime95, right? Googling didnt come up with anything...

I want to take the IHS of my cpu as soon as possible, but I will wait untill I rip my watercooling stuff out, that should be in a couple months. Did this improve your overclock?

Thank You!

L1ght said:
OCCT is part of prime95, right? Googling didnt come up with anything...

I want to take the IHS of my cpu as soon as possible, but I will wait untill I rip my watercooling stuff out, that should be in a couple months. Did this improve your overclock?

Thank You!

No, OCCT is better than Prime95:

http://www.ocbase.com/downocct.html

I don't know if removing the IHS improved my overclock because I never bothered running without it. I like my block to touch the core. :)

I'm having thoughts of 939, somebody help keep me in line.

Still not wanting to spend money on watercooling. Anyone need a Storm and a Maze 4?

CRXican said:

Still not wanting to spend money on watercooling. Anyone need a Storm and a Maze 4?

For what applications? Is this an upgrade for the sake of upgrading?

Blaah, I dont really buy into the whole s939 is better stuff yet. There is one application where s939 would help, but only if I went dual core and only if I went with a RAID-0 setup (video transcoding). Truth be told, in my experience with 64-bit linux, 64-bit more than makes up for a dual-core offering in this aspect. Transcode of a dvd-9 -> avi still takes 2 hours but I'm at 45% CPU versus windows 100% cpu. I'm i/o bottlenecked.

gaming, I'm not going to take the mhz loss and have a 2nd core doing nothing. Aside from video accellerator changes, the CPU's put out for gaming or single user applications, nothings really changed in 18 months. Yeah dual core is out, but the only thing that makes it happy is synthetic benchmarks. No thank you. I'm comfortable with my e-penis. :)

I guess, why upgrade? You will not gain anything significantly in performance. However if you want to try something new, then go for it.

Lastly, why go s939 with M2 debuting in less than 4 months? The bleeding edge would only last that long...

that helps

still have to decide on WC

seems like too much hassle, I have music on all the time so I don't hear my PC except when I'm trying to fall asleep

CRXican said:

I need a maze 4 :p Also, 939 is faster in gaming. Dual core makes quite the differance since drivers are now multithreaded, and in games that have dual core optimizations like Q4 the differance is HUGE.

CRXican said:
seems like too much hassle, I don't hear my PC except when I'm trying to fall asleep
In this case, your post was too much hassle to read.

Water cooling will be great unless you already have top end air cooling.

Back