Love your socket 754?

Emission said:
I got used to noise :p . I can be in a room full of servers and I wont go nuts lol. Just enough exposure to it :)

I've never been in a room fulla servers, but I spend enough time next to my computer, with a Sunon 120mm fan on the rad blowing like 115+ CFM or something like that, and I'm used to it. Computer noise never bothered me, but this is a step above where I'd like it, but it doesn't really bother me. I think the 86.5CFM Panaflo's are about my sweetspot for noise to performance.

Full Folding Ahead!

Yea, my dad works in the computer field and hes been on some jobs at data centers (You know, the places that are sky-high with servers). Hes brought back some high-flow fans from those and I got a couple. Cut a hole in my box and it provides awesome venting on even low.

Well, I'm late to the party - but as they say, "better late than never!"

I have 2 rigs.
Work system:
Raidmax Storm case (both systems)
420w psu
Asus K8V mobo
A64 3700+ Clawhammer @ 2.56 ghz
Gigabyte 3D Cooler Ultra GT hs/f (both systems)
1 gb (2x512) PC3200 DDR 400
VisionTek AGP X800Pro 256 mb
Best 3DMark 03 score - 12,320

Gaming rig in sig.

The girlfriend and I are moving in with her mom so that the rent money every month can be saved away, so that we can move to BC next summer...and I figure I should be able to swipe some money out of that to build a sub-$1000 SN85G4V3 s754 shuttle...hopefully.

cornelious0_0 said:
The girlfriend and I are moving in with her mom so that the rent money every month can be saved away, so that we can move to BC next summer...and I figure I should be able to swipe some money out of that to build a sub-$1000 SN85G4V3 s754 shuttle...hopefully.

Get a decent videocard in there too! Like an X800GTO2 or something moddable...seeing you on crappy hardware brings a tear to my eye. You're the one who got me started into this sillyness. :p

Full Folding Ahead!

Well I'm still rollin my s754.. I dont have a screenshot of my 340+ htt clocks.. I could always try again :)

Darn 2500 sempron with its x7 multi.. makes my dfi nf3 work.

Day in and day out I run 300x7 so does that count :)

tsuehpsyde said:
Get a decent videocard in there too! Like an X800GTO2 or something moddable...seeing you on crappy hardware brings a tear to my eye. You're the one who got me started into this sillyness. :p

Full Folding Ahead!

That means a lot man, it really does...I'm tryin'...but other things are taking priority. :(

cornelious0_0 said:
That means a lot man, it really does...I'm tryin'...but other things are taking priority. :(

Ya, I know how that goes man. Let us all know when you go to build your next system, you've got more than a few friends in the 754 club as well as these forums in general. I'm sure with our combined power we can find you some hella good/cheap parts, and possibly kick in a few extras. ;)

Full Folding Ahead!

tsuehpsyde said:
Ya, I know how that goes man. Let us all know when you go to build your next system, you've got more than a few friends in the 754 club as well as these forums in general. I'm sure with our combined power we can find you some hella good/cheap parts, and possibly kick in a few extras. ;)

Full Folding Ahead!

Hopefully it's not too long before I can build a new rig...

First thing I might be doing is getting a gig of ram for this 1800+ AXP and a new hard drive and just dropping it all inside a Shuttle SN41G2. It's something small that I can mod/get painted that won't cost a whole lot...and that way I've got a system that I'm not comPLETELY ashamed of until I can afford better.

Ok guys! Im back in the club! Decided to wait it out till enhanced software and OS'es come out and such. Im just gonna have to learn how to tweak this DFI :) . Uncapping, here I come! :D

I just got this one in on Tuesday and will be installing it shortly
Gigabyte GA-K8NE Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX PCI-e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128308
It was $68 + shipping.
I have an Asus K8N4-E Deluxe right now but it is having vcore issues in that no matter what I set the vcore to in bios it won't go any more than .04v over stock. I will try a new Enermax psu and ClockGen to see if I can get the vcore to go up. If any of you have any input please feel free to interject - I'm all ears.
My present oc is at 2.5ghz (250x10) @ 1.44v, ram at DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 1T. I've seen these Venice 3000+ cpu's go to anywhere from 2.65 ghz to 2.8 ghz at up to 1.6v. That's where I'm heading if I can get more vcore from the Asus. If not - the Gigabyte mobo goes in and I keep on trying.

I
just bought a new 3000+ Venice to replace my DTR CPU. (Hopes for some good overclocking)
They are very nice overclockers. I'm getting 50 mhz on the fsb (250x10) on very nearly stock voltage with no problems and there is more to be had with the right setup. See my post above yours.

I'm currently trying to decide between the EPoX SLI s754 board, and the DFI NF4X Infinity, I heard both OC about the same, the EPoX has a better chipset, looks better, but the layout sucks, don't know what to do :(

Hey Kingof1337, what are you doing with your dtr? My venice didnt clock that well, so if your chip isnt that bad I would be interested.

Peach said:
I'm currently trying to decide between the EPoX SLI s754 board, and the DFI NF4X Infinity, I heard both OC about the same, the EPoX has a better chipset, looks better, but the layout sucks, don't know what to do :(

Some downsides to the Infinity:
So far the bios is flubbed so no hardware monitoring software works properly.
The NB fan is noisy, but adding a passive HS is easy.
When I first got it it would frequently not recognize my USB kb/mouse and require a reboot. I haven't had that issue in a while.

I never fully explored its HTT limits, but mine was good to at least 330, IIRC.

Just be aware that Epox customer service in the US is non-existent on the web. I, too was interested in the Epox but once I couldn't find a website for them that killed it for me. I don't know about phone support. They are supposed to be good performing boards but you need to support them domestically if you are gonna sell them here and they don't seem to have gotten that part down yet - unless I am just missing something here. Does anyone else have a website address for Epox here in the US?

Well, call me an idiot for not getting the 3700 for $155 last fall, but I just found a 3400 NC @ Monarch for $121 shipped (ADA3400AEP4AX chip). Time for my last cheap build before m2 hits.

Now if I can just find a passively cooled 6200 with the 128bit memory, I'll be in shape for a htpc/media encoding/modest gaming rig.

Total cost:
3400 NC = $121
Shuttle sn85g4v3 = $150 (newegg sale last Feb)
Memory (1gb mushkin single dimm) = $62 (Outpost deal 1/7/06)
160gig seagate $105 (spare part)
BenQ burner $54
Spare GF4MX (gotta ditch it, but its got a passive cooler)

Just under $500 shipped.

i'm getting $160 on thursday, so I'll get a 2800+ Sempron and what motherboard should i get that can OC to at least 2.6ghz and I already have PC4000 ram. I want to keep using my GeForce 6800 AGP and please don't tell me to get a DFI lanparty motherboard or the Chaintech one.

Mr. Stryker said:
i'm getting $160 on thursday, so I'll get a 2800+ Sempron and what motherboard should i get that can OC to at least 2.6ghz and I already have PC4000 ram. I want to keep using my GeForce 6800 AGP and please don't tell me to get a DFI lanparty motherboard or the Chaintech one.

What beef do you have with DFI that'd be keeping you from picking up the Lanparty 250GB? It's such a sweeta$$ board.

I had the DFI (Still do, its up for sale in my FS Thread :p ), and the memory options are overwhelming :eek: . Take a look at Foxconns offerings, the GeForce 6150/430 stuff is out, and I believe its avaliable for S754, also check out MSI.

But the 6150 stuff is all PCI-E. The DFI is THE way to go if you are looking for a 754 NF3 board though.

Its a $100 board (the DFI) and I only have $160 (75 for a Sempron 2800+ so that leaves me 85 dollars but I'll need a cheaper motherbaord so I'd have enough to cover the tax and shipping costs.)

Gotcha. The Chaintech VNF3-250 is another good board that people around here have had good experiences with. It's only $58 at Newegg, but its OOS at the moment.

And that Chaintech board cannot change multiplier.. according to the OCworkbench.net's review of it ( and i would like to )

I have the Chaintech and think it blows ass. Shitty temp reporting and annoying screeching noise from the mobo. The last straw was when my PC began restarting on its own and the motherboard refused to boot with 512 X 2 of RAM.

I have the DFI now. No issues yet.

Mr. Stryker said:
And that Chaintech board cannot change multiplier.. according to the OCworkbench.net's review of it ( and i would like to )

But Semprons are locked, so that doesn't matter.

Nuc_E said:
But Semprons are locked, so that doesn't matter.

In a way it does matter...Semprons (and all retail A64's other then FX chips) have anything higher then their default multiplier locked. If OCWB is saying that you can't change multiplier's...they're most likely saying that you can't at ALL...up or down...which does kinda suck.

I thought Semprons were locked up AND down. At least my 2600+ was. Did they change something in the new revisions?

the lower end semprons are locked both up and down as they do not have cool and quiet. the higher up models, 3000+ and up, have cool and quiet and therefor have their downward mulipliers opened up.

grahamf said:
the lower end semprons are locked both up and down as they do not have cool and quiet. the higher up models, 3000+ and up, have cool and quiet and therefor have their downward mulipliers opened up.

Ah. Okay. Makes sense. I knew the lower end ones didn't have C&Q.

My K8NS Pro has been treating me nicely, just make sure you flash to the newest BIOS, loads of OC options.

Back