Love your socket 754?

nForce4 isnt any faster than nForce3, aside from the faster buses for harddrives and video cards (which dont translate into a noticeable performance increase)

sabrewolf732 said:
Obviously in quake 4 which is a multi threaded game title the dual core p4 outperforms a single core a64. BUT obviously the dual core a64 will outperform the dual core p4. Use logic people :rolleyes:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amd athlon 64 fx60_010906100124/10513.png

Huh what? Do I win? You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

So you 754 people's excuse that dual core does nothing for gaming are obviously wrong, especially with several multi threaded games coming out this year, not to mention that multi threaded vid card drivers make up for the clock speed loss of going dual core

At 1024x768? Who really gives a shit about 1024x768? Sorry, but I don't even give a shit about 1024x768 on my budget build, why would I care about it on a FX or Pentium D build?

Again, why do you care what other people do with their money? Go start a "Love your dual core thread" if you love it so much. Frankly, I don't think many people in here give a damn what you think.

cherrypik said:
Well I might have to change my mind because the reason I'm buying another s754 mb is for the new 7800gt I purchased.

Why? I just said my 7800 GT fits even with a Mag 3 pump in the way. Do you have a small case and a water pump sitting next to where the PCI-E slot is on the NF4X? If not you'll be fine even with a GTX and the NF4X. My situation is not the norm.

We're on water and our 3700+ CPUs are 13 micron. It's OK. Running a 9-micron Venice like yours at 1.85V would be suicide, but that's not what we have
:)

Yeah - the 90nm would fry in a heartbeat on air cooling at that voltage. I just put my 3700+ CG Claw back into my work system. Running 218x12 @ 1.625v on air cooling (Gigabyty 3D Cooler Ultra GT all copper), idling at 40C - 50C under load. It will go 220x12 @ 1.65v but it idles around 44C which is a tad too warm for me.

aldamon said:
I've had the NF4X since October and I have three minor complaints:

1.) It has the nForce4 / X-FI conflict. I had to RMA my X-Fi to get the firmware flashed.
2.) The temp sensors are broken.
3.) The location of the PCI-E slot is way too low. I literally could not buy a 7800 GTX because it's too long and my pump is in the way. My GT barely fits. I'm not sure why DFI chose to put the slot so low, but it sucks.
Good, cheap board otherwise and the 1.85V VCORE makes it perfect for water.

I can't vouch for the x-fi thing, but I agree with the rest. Another quibble is the bios doesn't fully support my Newark. It won't restart....I have to power down each time.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4881&d=1127507840

Ruiner said:
Another quibble is the bios doesn't fully support my Newark.
well.. technically no desktop board has official support for any mobile.. but that's another story. :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
well.. technically no desktop board has official support for any mobile.. but that's another story. :p

That's why it's just a 'quibble'. I had similar hassles with my mobile barton over a certain multiplier.

robberbaron said:
nForce4 isnt any faster than nForce3, aside from the faster buses for harddrives and video cards (which dont translate into a noticeable performance increase)

I was just trying to figure out the BEST S754 motherboard with PCI-E, SATA, good layout and overclockablity. I narrowed it down between the Tforce 6100 and the DFI Infinity Nforce 4. I also noticed that a bunch of you guys have a DFI Infinity Nforce4x MB.

nigerian_businessman said:
At 1024x768? Who really gives a shit about 1024x768? Sorry, but I don't even give a shit about 1024x768 on my budget build, why would I care about it on a FX or Pentium D build?

Again, why do you care what other people do with their money? Go start a "Love your dual core thread" if you love it so much. Frankly, I don't think many people in here give a damn what you think.

the GUY inquired about 939. :rolleyes: Of course it's 1024, that would show the largest differance due to CPU. Think please.

Nigerian said:
LOL @ Dual 2.8 P4 being better for games than FX. hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Pass that pipe over here, I want a hit of what you're smokin.

Genius, I proved you wrong now you say you don't care. Also, if you're running anything faster than a 7800gtx you're gonna see a bottleneck even at 1280x1024 which seems to be the res most people run/ monitors are capable of. You're spreading bullshit, I correct you and you respond with "I don't care". Way to go.

Saberwolf - I've been reading the posts about dual core/multithread capabilities you claim - especially the dual P4 outperforming the FX-57. I'm curious to see any documentation you may have because everything I've read indicates that the AMD's outgun Intel by a wide margin in games. Perhaps the FX-57 does get beaten but not the FX-60 or any of the current X2 cpu's. See link below for reference.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html
The article says:
Intel should be embarrassed with its showing in round 2. At every turn, AMD beat it to the punch. Even the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, the lowest end of AMD's dual-core CPUs, is better suited to 3D gaming than Intel's highest-end Extreme Edition 840 CPU, which lost by a full 10 percent.

That said, we should point out that games aren't really designed to take advantage of CPUs with multiple processing threads yet. We expect to see multithreaded games that will take advantage of dual-core CPUs sometime next year, at which point the 3D gaming results will need revisiting (there will likely be new chips available by then, as well). But for now, if you are a gamer in need of a dual-core rig, the only choice you need to make is deciding which Athlon X2 chip to pick up
To sum it up AMD X2 processors win 7 categories out of 7. Gaming was a total drubbing by AMD - even the 3800X2 beat Intel's very best.
Is there some new review I have missed?

BigMacAttack said:
Saberwolf - I've been reading the posts about dual core/multithread capabilities you claim - especially the dual P4 outperforming the FX-57. I'm curious to see any documentation you may have because everything I've read indicates that the AMD's outgun Intel by a wide margin in games. Perhaps the FX-57 does get beaten but not the FX-60 or any of the current X2 cpu's. See link below for reference.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html
The article says:

To sum it up AMD X2 processors win 7 categories out of 7. Gaming was a total drubbing by AMD - even the 3800X2 beat Intel's very best.
Is there some new review I have missed?

I never said the dual core a64's were slower than dual core p4's, however single core's get raped.

The slowest dual core p4 beats out the fastest single core amd in multithreaded optimized games (games coming out now), however yes, dual core amd's are faster than dual core p4's. Said that before, but happily restate it for someone asking as respectfully as you are (in contrast to the rest in this thread :rolleyes: ). Also, to restate, I don't hate 754, I actually have a spare 754 system and I own a single core proc now... I never said "OMFG YOU GUYS WITH 754's ARE LOZERS LOL". All I said was dual core has an advantage in gaming (which you guys didn't want to accept, then attacked me like insane animals when I proved).

The slowest dual core p4 beats out the fastest single core amd in multithreaded optimized games
I see what you are saying. Multithreading has always been Intel's strong suit. I'll have to look for some more reviews.

I just have stayed with my trusty old s754 systems because:
1. I'm cheap - or rather "thifty". :D
2. I'm not a "power user". I use one system (3700+ CG Clawhammer, Asus K8V mobo, VisionTek X800Pro AGP 8x, Maxtor ATA133 250gb hdd, 1 gb (2x512) PC3200 DDR400 ram) at work for Acad R14 Civil work, HLDM/HL2DM gaming and some audio recording & editing. It oc's to 220x12 @ 1.65v
The other system at home is a s754 Venice 3000+ E6 (Asus K8N4-E Deluxe mobo, same ram and hdd and a Sapphire PCI-e X800Pro). Its more a gaming station for HLDM/HL2DM with the same capabilities as the work system for audio and cadd.
It oc's to 260x10 @1.55v
Both systems still have a lot of life left in them for my needs. I guess that's what it all boils down to - what do you need from your computer? It just makes me laugh that all of us spend so much money on cpu's, video cards (I want an ATI x1900XTX bad!) and everything else just so we can play $50 games and do a little video and audio editing. I gave up trying to be the big kid on the block a long time ago :rolleyes: it just makes you broke.

BigMacAttack said:
I see what you are saying. Multithreading has always been Intel's strong suit. I'll have to look for some more reviews.

I just have stayed with my trusty old s754 systems because:
1. I'm cheap - or rather "thifty". :D
2. I'm not a "power user". I use one system (3700+ CG Clawhammer, Asus K8V mobo, VisionTek X800Pro AGP 8x, Maxtor ATA133 250gb hdd, 1 gb (2x512) PC3200 DDR400 ram) at work for Acad R14 Civil work, HLDM/HL2DM gaming and some audio recording & editing. It oc's to 220x12 @ 1.65v
The other system at home is a s754 Venice 3000+ E6 (Asus K8N4-E Deluxe mobo, same ram and hdd and a Sapphire PCI-e X800Pro). Its more a gaming station for HLDM/HL2DM with the same capabilities as the work system for audio and cadd.
It oc's to 260x10 @1.55v
Both systems still have a lot of life left in them for my needs. I guess that's what it all boils down to - what do you need from your computer? It just makes me laugh that all of us spend so much money on cpu's, video cards (I want an ATI x1900XTX bad!) and everything else just so we can play $50 games and do a little video and audio editing. I gave up trying to be the big kid on the block a long time ago :rolleyes: it just makes you broke.

hehe, I still want a x1900xt :p

can we cut out the intel vs amd and dual vs single debate? this is s754 thread, which means single channel, single core, amd. don't like it, get out. this clutter is hurting my brain. :(

sabrewolf732 said:
the GUY inquired about 939. :rolleyes: Of course it's 1024, that would show the largest differance due to CPU. Think please.

Genius, I proved you wrong now you say you don't care. Also, if you're running anything faster than a 7800gtx you're gonna see a bottleneck even at 1280x1024 which seems to be the res most people run/ monitors are capable of. You're spreading bullshit, I correct you and you respond with "I don't care". Way to go.

You showed ONE graph and you think this qualifies as ending the argument? Okay, so the Pentium D 2.8 beat the FX 57 in one game in a resolution that nobody laying down the scratch for an FX 57 is playing at. By a whole 10fps. Wow. I'm so impressed :rolleyes: You didn't prove anything except that you're good at picking out tiny pieces of a broader picture to support your argument while completely ignoring every other piece that completely destroys it. I especially like how you linked to just the image instead of the WHOLE REVIEW, because linking to the rest of the review would have shown the 820 getting thoroughly spanked by FX 57 and the X2 3800 in every other gaming test, not to mention most of the other benchmarks.

Its obvious that a game optimized for SMP will run better on a dual core system. I never disagreed with you on that point. The thing I don't agree with is the notion that single core systems are somehow obsolete all of a sudden because 2 or 3 SMP games just showed up. COD2 doesn't even show that much of a difference, Quake 4 shows a marginal one. For gaming, SMP, and for that matter Socket 939 as well, at this point in time offer marginal advantages that don't really justify the cost. You say the difference is HUGE, but I don't think anyone here considers 10fps at (lol) 1024x768 resolution a HUGE difference, otherwise we all would have made the jump already.

(cf)Eclipse said:
can we cut out the intel vs amd and dual vs single debate? this is s754 thread, which means single channel, single core, amd. don't like it, get out. this clutter is hurting my brain. :(

Amen to that.

cherrypik said:
Might pick up that DFI NF4X Infinity. I already have the 3700+. Is there anything that you don't like about the MB. It looks like a good layout.
The LAN doesnt work. Dont wanna RMA cause I got my watercooling stuff installed.

Doesnt seem 100% stable, but that just be me, cause I dont know what half the bios stuff is...

Its running good now, I reconmend it.

Edit: Dammit, thats what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting this, as his question has already been answered. :(

nigerian_businessman said:
Pentium D 2.8 FX 57 FX 57 i820 FX 57 X2 3800 i
Socket 939

IF YOU LOVED SOCKET 754 YOU WOULDNT TALK ABOUT THOSE CHIPS.

:(
How did those chips even come up in a thread like this?

robberbaron said:
IF YOU LOVED SOCKET 754 YOU WOULDNT TALK ABOUT THOSE CHIPS.

:(
How did those chips even come up in a thread like this?

Because the sad little truth is... Socket 754 offers the same performance or within 2-3% of the current chips out there on a 2 1/2 year old platform. That was my only reason for debating with the guy. It aint dead, never was. Oh, its also 1/3 the cost. :)

I just reinstalled my 3700+ CG s754 cpu back into my work system (replaced my 3400+ C0) and have it at 220x12=2640 @ 1.65v & 41C idle. I just set the ram parameters in bios to default (but manually set 1T command rate) and when I check the settings it is at DDR400 2.5-3-3-6. It cranked out the superpi 1M test in 34 sec. which is 3-5 seconds faster than the 3400+ was.
This system is 1.5 yrs old and still cranking away with a Maxtor ATA133 250 gb hdd and VisionTek X800Pro 256 mb AGP 8x video card. It will knock out 3DMark03 scores in the mid-high 11,000 range (1024x768 - default settings on free usage) but of course I run hifger res while gaming. It has no problems blasting out HLDM and HL2DM as well as all my work apps (Acad R14).Its a great dual purpose machine and I don't see the need to upgrade anytime soon.

This is the last day on my 754 rig! :( I'm gonna miss it! Truely an amazing setup, and i've never had ONE problem with it. But, I figured it was time for my to upgrade....

Going from...

AMD Athlon 64 3400 Claw CG 2.2Ghz/1Mb
Zalman 7000cu
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
Gigabyte X800-XT 256Mb VIVO
1Gb OCZ EL Platinum 3200 rev2

to...

AMD Opteron 170 ( 2.0ghz/2Mb cache )
Zalman 9500
DFI LanParty Ultra-D nF4
Sapphire X1900XTX 512Mb
2Gb OCZ Platinum 3200

:D

Circuitbreaker8 said:
This is the last day on my 754 rig! :( I'm gonna miss it! Truely an amazing setup, and i've never had ONE problem with it. But, I figured it was time for my to upgrade....

Going from...

AMD Athlon 64 3400 Claw CG 2.2Ghz/1Mb
Zalman 7000cu
DFI LanParty UT nF3 250Gb
Gigabyte X800-XT 256Mb VIVO
1Gb OCZ EL Platinum 3200 rev2

to...

AMD Opteron 170 ( 2.0ghz/2Mb cache )
Zalman 9500
DFI LanParty Ultra-D nF4
Sapphire X1900XTX 512Mb
2Gb OCZ Platinum 3200

:D

I see you like DFI, Zalman, and OCZ :)

Anyway, I just left socket 754 too. I finished my 939 rig appx 1 week ago. I liked my old 754 rig, but PCI-E, and a 128 bit mem controller is pretty nice...

ATIIsBetter said:
I see you like DFI, Zalman, and OCZ :)

Anyway, I just left socket 754 too. I finished my 939 rig appx 1 week ago. I liked my old 754 rig, but PCI-E, and a 128 bit mem controller is pretty nice...

Lol and ATi and AMD :p

I have a s754 Asus K8N4-E Deluxe (nForce 4 4X chipset) mobo with PCI-e and a Sapphire X800Pro VIVO card in it along with a 3000+ Venice E6 cpu at home. I see no difference performance-wise between it and my work system which has an Asus K8V (K8T800 chipset), 3700+ CG Clawhammer cpu and VisionTek X800Pro AGP 8x video card. In fact, the AGP system at work actually returns a slightlly higher 3DMark03 score than the PCI-e card home system even though the 2 systems are running at 2.6 ghz oc'd. Both systems use the same ram and hdd and score around 11,500+. For all the hype about PCI-e being a faster interface I just don't see it. The good thing about PCI-e cards is that they are cheaper than AGP cards since AGP is now older technology.
As for increased memory performance - 3%-5% isn't enough to make me want to jump from s754 to s939. My work system will run superpi 1M in 34 seconds and the home system (with looser timings) will run the same test in 37-39 seconds. Both systems play HLDM/HL2DM with no issues.
The only reason I'd leave s754 is for the dual core upgrade path. Opty, FX-60 ($$) or X2 is very, very sweet! Sounds like you've got a nice system there Circuitbteaker8. :)

BigMacAttack said:
As for increased memory performance - 3%-5% isn't enough to make me want to jump from s754 to s939. My work system will run superpi 1M in 34 seconds and the home system (with looser timings) will run the same test in 37-39 seconds. Both systems play HLDM/HL2DM with no issues.
The only reason I'd leave s754 is for the dual core upgrade path. Opty, FX-60 ($$) or X2 is very, very sweet! Sounds like you've got a nice system there Circuitbteaker8. :)

Agreed, I'm in the same camp as you and will upgrade only when i can get my hand on AM2 with dual-core or even quad-core. Mine served very well and I'm changing the Asus K8V for a MSI Neo Platinum for some overclocking magic :D

count me as another s754 lover :cool:

BigMacAttack said:
Definitely. 7800GTX or X1900XTX is niiiiice. Expensive but oh so sweet!

Yep! My X1900XTX is sitting here right now...just waiting for my DFI board and Opteron to come in :D

cimg00250vy.jpg

Dude - I'm jealous :p Keep us posted on how the new monster runs. Should be a screamer.

I'm changing the Asus K8V for a MSI Neo Platinum for some overclocking magic
Let me know how that goes. I'm not too happy with my K8N4-E Deluxe because vcore tops out at 1.55v. I know I could get more than 2.6 out of my Venice if I could get to 1.625v. I've seen 2.8 out of these s754 Venice cpu's and I'd love to get it myself!
I'm also still on the lookout for 1 of these cpu's as well:
Athlon 64 3400+, OPN: 'ADA3400AIK4BO' - rev. DH-E3, 2.4GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 67W TDP
Athlon 64 3200+, OPN: 'ADA3200AIO4BX' - rev. DH-E6, 2.2GHz, 512KB L2-cache, 59W TDP
Evidently Best Buy is selling eMachines systems with the 3400+ Venice inside but no chips in the retail channel as of yet. No word on the 3200+ Venice yet either.

No problem, i'll let you know but keep in mine mine is a 3000+ NewCastle so no big overclocks. I expect to get 2.3 - 2.4 on air with them. The K8V got me limited to 2.2 due to the lack of pci/agp lock :(

I'm supposed to receive the motherboard tonight or tomorrow.

BigMacAttack said:
Let me know how that goes. I'm not too happy with my K8N4-E Deluxe because vcore tops out at 1.55v.
If you decide to sell it let me know, I've been trying to find one but everyone is sold out.

needed to upgrade from my old abit kt7 on a 180 dollar budget

biostar tforce6100
sempron 2800+
512 pc3200 gskill

runnin @ 2.5ghz with 1.63 volts (cpu-z)

can i join? ;D

can i join? ;D
The more the merrier :p Just go to page 1 for details - its easy.

If you decide to sell it let me know, I've been trying to find one but everyone is sold out.
Will do CrimandEvil. Email me at [email protected] and we can talk it over. The board is only about 6 months old and I have flashed it to the latest bios version (1010). Its a good board but the bios limits it to 1.55v. The older bioses showed more voltage options but for some reason would only allow about .04v over stock. My Clawhammer 3400+ would go to 1.54v (CPU-z) and my Venice only to 1.44v. It was very odd. Now CPU-z shows me 1.52v on the Venice when set to 1.55v in the bios.

Count me in!

9 x 300 = 2700 @ 1.63v w/ stock air on K8N-E Deluxe for me with my Sempron 3000+!!

Now that I am a member, I would like to DEMAND that we get some type of OC database going!!

Or we need to go post our stuff in the A64 OC database thread, it's lonely in there!

the 1007 bios doesnt seem to have the limit, as i can go from 1.5 to 1.65 on mine(CPUZ showed the correct volts)

I flashed to v1007 bios for my Asus K8V but all it did was lock me at a vcore of 1.66v (as reported by CPU-z which is about .025v lower than the bios setting). I couldn't change the voltage for anything - even set it at 1.5v in bios and CPU-z still reported 1.66v - so I went back to v1005 and got my vcore adjustability back.

Here's a question for you guys: my 3700+ Clawhammer's cpu multiplier is locked in the bios. Is this a bios issue or was the cpu multiplier locked on these chips? I didn't try it on bios v1007 because of the voltage problems listed above.

BigMacAttack said:
I flashed to v1007 bios for my Asus K8V but all it did was lock me at a vcore of 1.66v (as reported by CPU-z which is about .025v lower than the bios setting). I couldn't change the voltage for anything - even set it at 1.5v in bios and CPU-z still reported 1.66v - so I went back to v1005 and got my vcore adjustability back.

Here's a question for you guys: my 3700+ Clawhammer's cpu multiplier is locked in the bios. Is this a bios issue or was the cpu multiplier locked on these chips? I didn't try it on bios v1007 because of the voltage problems listed above.

Don't forget that the K8V doesn't have any working agp/pci locks so that may be what interfering with your overclocking. That's why i decided to change mine ;)

About the voltage issue, I didn't try since i stopped bothering attempting to overclock. I could do some check before swapping if that's the case.

Well, to tell you the truth, my 3400+ Clawhammer didn't oc an better on my K8N4-E Deluxe than it did on my K8V. 2.4 ghz was the max. oc I could get on either mobo, of course, my max vcore on the K8N4-E Deluxe was 1.54z as reported by CPU-z. The K8N4-E Deluxe also had vcore issues in the bios - limiting the max vcore to .04v over stock. I flashed to v1010 and now all I can get is 1.55v max. which sux.
I'm seriously considering an Abit NV8, an EPoX EP-8NPA7I or a BIOSTAR NF4 4X-A7. I'm leaning toward the EPoX.
Any recommendations?

Back