LG 48CX

I mentioned this in some earlier post and investigated it a bit but it does not seem to be any better than the Club3D, just a bit more convenient since you don't need a separate USB-C cable. On the flipside it means it does not work on newer GPUs that don't have a USB-C output.

I wanted one because the Club3D adapter cannot do 4K 120 Hz from my Macbook Pro but it seems like this might not do that either. Likewise VRR is not possible on this one either.

Afaik it's exactly the same Realtek DP to HDMI 2.1 converter chip on both but CableMatters is USB-C and the Club3D is DP + USB-C only for power and firmware updates. Club3D was supposed to release a USB-C version of their adapter too but I don't know what happened to that.

I mentioned this in some earlier post and investigated it a bit but it does not seem to be any better than the Club3D, just a bit more convenient since you don't need a separate USB-C cable. On the flipside it means it does not work on newer GPUs that don't have a USB-C output.

I wanted one because the Club3D adapter cannot do 4K 120 Hz from my Macbook Pro but it seems like this might not do that either. Likewise VRR is not possible on this one either.

Afaik it's exactly the same Realtek DP to HDMI 2.1 converter chip on both but CableMatters is USB-C and the Club3D is DP + USB-C only for power and firmware updates. Club3D was supposed to release a USB-C version of their adapter too but I don't know what happened to that.

Yes but it might be a bit more stable, due to being newer. Also might not flicker as much and might not have to switch to 60hz then back to 120hz to fix colour depth.
And it could work with the newer drivers since it's not using the dp 1.4 to hdmi 600mhz clock limit bug.

It's worth a test anyway.

Also where did you see realtek mentioned? I can't find it mentioned anywhere on amazon or cablematters website.

All i see is :
"Synaptics' Cayenne chipset enables companies like Cable Matters to provide reliable, high-bandwidth video solutions that push the performance envelope," says Synaptics Senior Marketing Director for Video Interface Products, Jeff Lukanc. "We are proud to work with Cable Matters to bring the industry's first converter chipset supporting 8K as specified in HDMI 2.1 to market with a leading brand in the consumer electronics industry."

Last edited:
Yes but it might be a bit more stable, due to being newer. Also might not flicker as much and might not have to switch to 60hz then back to 120hz to fix colour depth.
And it could work with the newer drivers since it's not using the dp 1.4 to hdmi 600mhz clock limit bug.

It's worth a test anyway.

Also where did you see realtek mentioned? I can't find it mentioned anywhere on amazon or cablematters website.

All i see is :
"Synaptics' Cayenne chipset enables companies like Cable Matters to provide reliable, high-bandwidth video solutions that push the performance envelope," says Synaptics Senior Marketing Director for Video Interface Products, Jeff Lukanc. "We are proud to work with Cable Matters to bring the industry's first converter chipset supporting 8K as specified in HDMI 2.1 to market with a leading brand in the consumer electronics industry."
I'm probably wrong in this case. I thought I had seen Realtek mentioned somewhere.

I have this adapter for my MacBook, but have no way of testing it on my 3090 without a DisplayPort to female USB-C adapter.

I have this adapter for my MacBook, but have no way of testing it on my 3090 without a DisplayPort to female USB-C adapter.
Does it allow for 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4 on the Macbook? Just to be clear, you have the CableMatters adapter? Which Macbook model do you own? Which MacOS version are you using (Catalina, Big Sur etc)?

Last edited:
Does it allow for 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4 on the Macbook? Just to be clear, you have the CableMatters adapter? Which Macbook model do you own? Which MacOS version are you using (Catalina, Big Sur etc)?
No, macOS doesn't support the 4K 120 Hz timings on this adapter, though you can see it in the EDID on macOS. Others have reported that it works fine in Boot Camp with the Radeon drivers.
I have the exact adapter you linked.
I have a 2019 MBP 16" running Big Sur.

No, macOS doesn't support the 4K 120 Hz timings on this adapter, though you can see it in the EDID on macOS. Others have reported that it works fine in Boot Camp with the Radeon drivers.
I have the exact adapter you linked.
I have a 2019 MBP 16" running Big Sur.
Thanks! Same experience as when I tried the Club3D adapter with my 2019 MBP.

Basically it just seems that MacOS is again completely shit at display handling and we probably need to wait for something like a "M2" Mac Mini that hopefully comes with HDMI 2.1 if we want 120 Hz on Mac.

Thanks! Same experience as when I tried the Club3D adapter with my 2019 MBP.

Basically it just seems that MacOS is again completely shit at display handling and we probably need to wait for something like a "M2" Mac Mini that hopefully comes with HDMI 2.1 if we want 120 Hz on Mac.
I believe the GPU under macOS cannot handle tightened non-standard timings like 1440p 144 Hz and 8-bit RGB 4K 120 Hz over DisplayPort 1.4. 1440p monitors like the PG278Q are limited to 120 Hz.

I filed a bug report and one of the engineers responded that it's not supported by the "hardware". Presumably he meant the driver.

I believe the GPU under macOS cannot handle tightened non-standard timings like 1440p 144 Hz and 8-bit RGB 4K 120 Hz over DisplayPort 1.4. 1440p monitors like the PG278Q are limited to 120 Hz.

I filed a bug report and one of the engineers responded that it's not supported by the "hardware". Presumably he meant the driver.
Since it works over Bootcamp it's clearly not a hardware limitation but driver like you said. Now that you mention it, my PG278Q does indeed only go up to 120 Hz with the Cablematters USB-C to DP 1.4 adapter.

I really like MacOS but they really never get around to fixing this kind of bullshit. It's ridiculous that their latest and greatest cannot handle high refresh rate displays.

Do we not have a thread for 2021 OLED?

The C1 popped up on one site. Is a newer retailer, but is supposed to be legit.

https://parkergwen.com/products/lg-...led-tv-w-ai-thinq-2021?variant=39271020789825

Might as well just combined the CX and C1 into a single thread given how they are basically the exact same TV, just with the C1 having a newer processor for some AI thingies. Heck the C1 still suffers from the same VRR problems as the CX too and both have the same band aid fix applied to them.

Any news on the 42" C1 or was that just a cock tease? Slutty LG and their daisy dukes & big fat tits!

Do we not have a thread for 2021 OLED?

The C1 popped up on one site. Is a newer retailer, but is supposed to be legit.

https://parkergwen.com/products/lg-...led-tv-w-ai-thinq-2021?variant=39271020789825
Lol....$2 below MSRP....they must be marketing towards that $2 cambodian hand job fan base
1616557494113.png

Ok without reading the entire thread how well doe s this perform with FPS type games?

Ok without reading the entire thread how well doe s this perform with FPS type games?
Its the best 120hz "monitor" you can buy. Exceptionally low ghosting / response time, no overdrive. You could maybe argue a 240hz+ monitor is better for hardcore competitive gaming, but I won't make that argument.

Received it today, and just to confirm, not only does the "Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI Adapter" work with the cx and the newest nvidia drivers, it also works with my denon receiver just fine at 4k120 @ 10bit color
which the club3d adapter never would

so whatever issue club3d has with newer drivers, it's not nvidia's fault

tested with a 2070 super and 2080ti

had to delete a few resolutions and audio formats to make room in the edid for better than 16bit 48hz audio to show up, but all is working fine so far

even 4:4:4 shows up which i've never seen directly selectable on one of these active displayport adapters on nvidia

1616614930154.png
firm

Received it today, and just to confirm, not only does the "Cable Matters 48Gbps USB C to HDMI Adapter" work with the cx and the newest nvidia drivers, it also works with my denon receiver just fine at 4k120 @ 10bit color

had to delete a few resolutions and audio formats to make room in the edid for better than 16bit 48hz audio to show up, but all is working fine so far

even 4:4:4 shows up which i've never seen directly selectable on one of these active displayport adapters on nvidia

View attachment 341919firm
Do you happen to have a MacBook nearby? Curious what resolutions it supports, specifically with a program like switchresx

Official prices released,
48" is actually $1500.

That’s not good. I believe this is the first time ever that a newly released LG OLED model was the same price as the previous year. I believe all sizes in all past years went down at least $100 each year every year if not mistaken.

LG needs to up their game. You can get like a 4K 75” TV from Walmart for like $450 these days. Yeah I know, you’re preaching to the choir here, but 99% of “normies” are going to buy that $450 75” over a $1,500 48” any day regardless of how many marketing terms you throw at them.

That’s not good. I believe this is the first time ever that a newly released LG OLED model was the same price as the previous year. I believe all sizes in all past years went down at least $100 each year every year if not mistaken.

LG needs to up their game. You can get like a 4K 75” TV from Walmart for like $450 these days. Yeah I know, you’re preaching to the choir here, but 99% of “normies” are going to buy that $450 75” over a $1,500 48” any day regardless of how many marketing terms you throw at them.
I'd assume the pricing is due to global pandemic and bracing for possible component supply issues. Also the panels for these have probably not gotten less expensive to make.

What the "normies" as you say buy has very little relation to the enthusiast crowd. LG is not catering for them as Chinese manufacturers rule that area. OLEDs are and will be a premium product in all manufacturers' lineups at least until Mini-LED backlights get cheap enough to cram into more budget models.

To be fair, an LG OLED will greatly outperform a 4K 75" TV from Walmart for $450. The technology stuffed into LG's OLED TVs is staggering. The OLED is a very premium product for enthusiasts and is priced as such.

Value-for-money, LG's current lineup of OLED TVs offer an incredible amount of performance for the price.

View attachment 341919firm
Nvidia has already acknowledged that the adapter gets stuck on 600 MHz pixel clock and the issue only occurs when using a driver newer than 456.71. I have zero issues on the older driver going direct to the TV.

The CableMatters adapter seems to do something different or maybe there is something about it using USB-C that helps.

To be fair, an LG OLED will greatly outperform a 4K 75" TV from Walmart for $450. The technology stuffed into LG's OLED TVs is staggering. The OLED is a very premium product for enthusiasts and is priced as such.

Value-for-money, LG's current lineup of OLED TVs offer an incredible amount of performance for the price.

We all know that the OLED is going to be better than the Walmart TV, but his point was that it doesn't matter because most folks will buy the Walmart TV regardless just purely based on price to size ratio, something that OLED needs to improve on if they want to make the technology more mainstream and get it into everyone's homes.

If the pricing history of high density FALD TV's is any indication then OLED will remain exclusive to somewhat higher prices ranges (by size) for a long time. Most of those cheap TVs people are referencing are edge lit and in some cases use cheaper parts (e.g. TCL). They also aren't hdmi 2.1 , 120hz, vrr, true HDR.. While prices can drop over years and with higher production numbers - that example is comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited:
We all know that the OLED is going to be better than the Walmart TV, but his point was that it doesn't matter because most folks will buy the Walmart TV regardless just purely based on price to size ratio, something that OLED needs to improve on if they want to make the technology more mainstream and get it into everyone's homes.
That's not LG goal with Oled. like a previous poster said, they are aiming for the higher tier marketplace, not the cheap affordable one littered by many others. Does Ferrari lower their prices to get into more garages.

As LG gets better at making OLED panels, prices will continue to drop. Each generation is slightly cheaper than the last, and each generation also brings more tech as well. There was a time where LCDs were insanely expensive, and a 75" TV from any manufacturer costs $2-3k. The fact that You can now get a fully featured 75" 4K HDR smart-TV from Best Buy for $700 is a testament to just how far the technology has come. That being said, the 75" TV I am referencing is utterly annihilated by an OLED TV of any size. However, I don't expect Joe TvBuyer to really care because "Why would I buy a 55" OLED for $1400, when I can get a 75" TV for half that price?"

Mr. Joe TvBuyer is not the target audience of LG's OLED tech, and they know this. I do not doubt that if LG Display continues to make improvements to the manufacturing of OLED panels, we could see sub-$1000 55" in a year or less. At the current asking price, OLED is mid-tier premium (even though the technology is, at the moment, state-of-the-art), but as soon as they get it to $1000, it becomes mid-tier to mainstream, and at that point, I think we will really see the value of the tech take off. OLEDs already sell very well, but at sub-$1000, they would sell like hotcakes.

That's not LG goal with Oled. like a previous poster said, they are aiming for the higher tier marketplace, not the cheap affordable one littered by many others. Does Ferrari lower their prices to get into more garages.

That would be MicroLED. And wasn't OLED supposedly going to be "cheaper" to manufacture than LCDs one day? Makes no sense to keep it only in a higher tier marketplace if they can get the manufacturing cost low enough, lower prices, and then sell way way more units. But hey what do I know.

As LG gets better at making OLED panels, prices will continue to drop. Each generation is slightly cheaper than the last, and each generation also brings more tech as well. There was a time where LCDs were insanely expensive, and a 75" TV from any manufacturer costs $2-3k. The fact that You can now get a fully featured 75" 4K HDR smart-TV from Best Buy for $700 is a testament to just how far the technology has come. That being said, the 75" TV I am referencing is utterly annihilated by an OLED TV of any size. However, I don't expect Joe TvBuyer to really care because "Why would I buy a 55" OLED for $1400, when I can get a 75" TV for half that price?"

Mr. Joe TvBuyer is not the target audience of LG's OLED tech, and they know this. I do not doubt that if LG Display continues to make improvements to the manufacturing of OLED panels, we could see sub-$1000 55" in a year or less. At the current asking price, OLED is mid-tier premium (even though the technology is, at the moment, state-of-the-art), but as soon as they get it to $1000, it becomes mid-tier to mainstream, and at that point, I think we will really see the value of the tech take off. OLEDs already sell very well, but at sub-$1000, they would sell like hotcakes.
That's already happened, heh. I got a Vizio 55" OLED at Best Buy for $900 on Black Friday.

If LG wasn't making money, they wouldn't be selling the TV as a mass consumer item. A TV at Walmart might be selling more units, but LG is obviously making money fine or they wouldn't be introducing more and more models and selling more and more of them. 5 years ago LG OLEDs were a niche of a niche. Now they're the de facto cross shop with Samsung QLEDs and scared Samsung so much that Samsung felt the need to come up with the hilarious "QLED" term to make the masses think they were the same thing/similar, like AT&T and "5GE".

That's already happened, heh. I got a Vizio 55" OLED at Best Buy for $900 on Black Friday.

If LG wasn't making money, they wouldn't be selling the TV as a mass consumer item. A TV at Walmart might be selling more units, but LG is obviously making money fine or they wouldn't be introducing more and more models and selling more and more of them. 5 years ago LG OLEDs were a niche of a niche. Now they're the de facto cross shop with Samsung QLEDs and scared Samsung so much that Samsung felt the need to come up with the hilarious "QLED" term to make the masses think they were the same thing/similar, like AT&T and "5GE".
Samsung knows their TVs are inferior to LG's OLED tech... that's why Samsung's marketing department is basically running the show at the moment.

I don't think a $1000 65 OLED would sell like hot cakes. People will still ask why when they can get a 75" for less. Too many people equate size to quality. When discussing with people about what kind of TV they got they always as how big it is and nothing more. My brother upgraded to a crappy 75" LG TV last year and honestly it looked worse then the older 1080p 55" Sony he replaced it with. I am very jaded cause of OLED. Everything else just looks terrible to me now. The cheap crappy TVs are good enough for most people. I got called a pleb by a guy at work cause I only have a 65" compared to his 75" 5 series samsung. His TV isn't even a "QLED". I'll keep my 65" c9 OLED.

Back