LG 48CX

Playing through SOTR now... almost done with it. Holy cow what a pretty game on the CX in HDR.

This. The "quality" of the HDR because it can illuminate the brighter pixels individually is absolutely incredible especially when you consider that the black starting point is "perfect black." You simply don't need as much overall differential in brightness to be an incredible experience.

I KNOW that for HDR the OLED light level should be set to 100, BUT because I use my CX48 for desktop use I tuned it to an acceptable point at OLED light 75 for HDR content. This is simply to provide some protection against burn in if I forget and leave HDR on or leave a HDR game with a static HUD up for too long.
Apologize for my nitpicking AFAIK the HUD usually isn't taking advantage of the potential brightness of HDR. At least I haven't heard of it before. Static images on the screen in general aren't given peak highlights. If anything, depending on how the HDR is utilized, the HUD elements could potentially be dimmer than if you had HDR off. Leaving the brightness at 100 would enable you to take better advantage of your TV's potential PQ as well as serve as a reminder that the HDR is on (so there's virtually no way you could forget that HDR is on unless you're using sunglasses or something weird). If you set the brightness to something only slightly higher than SDR, you're far more likely to forget you left HDR on. Or at least that would be true for me in this case.

1606951559657.png

^ G-SYNC works - in the Pendulum demo I'm able to select G-SYNC and the display indicator shows on the left hand side of the screen

1606951667696.png

^ G-SYNC does not work - in the Pendulum demo I cannot select G-SYNC and the display indicator does not show

I'm using a 2080 Ti. Any idea what the issue is? Apologies if this has already been covered, i'm still working my way through this thread.

Anyone else get a random tear line at the bottom of their screen? It goes away if I turn off/on the TV. Haven't figured out what causes it yet, it even shows up during desktop use

Reports from owners of early b series lg old tvs have said the best buy extended warranty covers burn in , which was surprising to me. Their 5 yr isn't cheap but I feel better looking at it like $66/yr burn in (and any other problem) insurance over 5 years

I found a thread with a cfg edit for Jedi fallen order that us supposed to remove the green life bar from the hud and Im going to try that out though.

Last edited:
Reports from owners of early b series lg old tvs have said the best buy extended warranty covers burn in , which was surprising to me. Their 5 yr isn't cheap but I feel better looking at it like $66/yr burn in (and any other problem) insurance over 5 years

I found a thread with a cfg edit for Jedi fallen order that us supposed to remove the green life bar from the hud and Im going to try that out though.
When I looked at it the Best Buy warranty explicitly covers burn in, not just omits it from the list of things it doesn't cover. Language could have changed since. Every other extended warranty I looked at explicitly does not cover it.

Reactions: elvn
like this
You guys weren’t kidding about HDR. Tonight I tried out:
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- The Division 2
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- COD:BO Cold War
- Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
- Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Now this is my first exposure to HDR of any kind, but wow. This is the feature I cared the least about and ended up being the one I think I’m most impressed with.

You guys weren’t kidding about HDR. Tonight I tried out:
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- The Division 2
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- COD:BO Cold War
- Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
- Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Now this is my first exposure to HDR of any kind, but wow. This is the feature I cared the least about and ended up being the one I think I’m most impressed with.
I totally agree. My wife played Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time on the TV and was blown away with how good HDR looks on the CX 65....Really think this is the future of gaming.

Also, the PS5 does a great job of HDR use as well....

^ G-SYNC does not work - in the Pendulum demo I cannot select G-SYNC and the display indicator does not show

I'm using a 2080 Ti. Any idea what the issue is? Apologies if this has already been covered, i'm still working my way through this thread.
The G-SYNC demo is broken at 4:2:0. G-SYNC should still work in games. Make sure you've selected Fullscreen Exclusive mode if G-SYNC is not enabled for windowed applications.

I KNOW that for HDR the OLED light level should be set to 100, BUT because I use my CX48 for desktop use I tuned it to an acceptable point at OLED light 75 for HDR content. This is simply to provide some protection against burn in if I forget and leave HDR on or leave a HDR game with a static HUD up for too long.

You can leave HDR on on the desktop as long as you use the SDR slider in Windows settings to turn the SDR content brightness back down to reasonable levels. Settings under 10% work well. My display measured 120 nits at 7% setting using a colorimeter. Turning down OLED light means you are just clipping the highlights on the display.

Anyone else get a random tear line at the bottom of their screen? It goes away if I turn off/on the TV. Haven't figured out what causes it yet, it even shows up during desktop use
That happened to my B6 twice over a four year period; not sure what was going on, but shutting down the TV made the issue go away. I'm really not sure what was going on to be perfectly honest, though I strongly suspect it's the TV/Connection and not the PC.

The G-SYNC demo is broken at 4:2:0. G-SYNC should still work in games. Make sure you've selected Fullscreen Exclusive mode if G-SYNC is not enabled for windowed applications.
Out of curiosity, where is the setting to enable G-SYNC for Windowed applications?

Out of curiosity, where is the setting to enable G-SYNC for Windowed applications?
Same place as where you enable g-sync altogether. It's all on one page. I don't recommend it right now, it appears broken for apps that don't use dx12 or Vulkan (aka apps that bypass DWM easily).

Sooooo I took the plunge! Flipping love this TV as a monitor. Quick question though, it went into that auto dimming mode yesterday and had trouble coming out of it.... anything I can do to help with this? I know we can’t remove.

Sooooo I took the plunge! Flipping love this TV as a monitor. Quick question though, it went into that auto dimming mode yesterday and had trouble coming out of it.... anything I can do to help with this? I know we can’t remove.
Automatic Static brightness limiter basically resets itself if you show it very different content on screen. Usually this means a bright window. It really should be a feature you can disable without venturing into the service menu and something I hope LG adds to the C11 if they plan to pass this as a gaming monitor.

Automatic Static brightness limiter basically resets itself if you show it very different content on screen. Usually this means a bright window. It really should be a feature you can disable without venturing into the service menu and something I hope LG adds to the C11 if they plan to pass this as a gaming monitor.
Thank you! This works early on, however, after longer stretches, 15mins or so, it’s tough to bring back.
Although I think I found the culprit that was keeping it dimmed, Wallpaper Engine! I use it extensively and even more so now, to protect from burn in. Disabling it and re enabling it got the screen back.

Thanks man. I didn’t notice any screen tearing in 4:2:0 but some of the games were running at 100+hz so it’s hard to tell sometimes. It’s not just the demo that doesn’t work - the NVCP G-SYNC Display indicator also doesn’t show up when gaming.

Anyone have any experience with Club3D CAC-1372 ?? It does not have any premium look but no zeskit or another officialy certified cable available here in EU and have some random disconect issues so I would like to get something better for 4k 120hz HDR VRR 4:4:4 usage.

Anyone have any experience with Club3D CAC-1372 ?? It does not have any premium look but no zeskit or another officialy certified cable available here in EU and have some random disconect issues so I would like to get something better for 4k 120hz HDR VRR 4:4:4 usage.
People in this thread talked about using the Club3d cable with the Club3d adapter pre-Ampere and seemed to have success with it (their problems were with the adapter not the cable).

Seems the 3LB uses 100Hz instead ofn120Hz native refresh rate
3LB vs 9LB
I really doubt that's actually true as LG only make one 48" OLED panel, and that would bork up the built-in interpolation engine for 60Hz sources and in fact would mean you couldn't even use the exact same algorithm because 60Hz to 100Hz takes quite a bit more computational grunt than 60Hz to 120Hz due to the former being a fraction.

If anything I would expect the 100Hz listing to simply be a case of it being a Euro-specific model, and European broadcasts are 50Hz so the marketing focuses on 100Hz rather than 120Hz (because much like 60Hz to 120Hz, it's better and much easier to interpolate 50Hz to 100Hz rather than 50Hz to 120Hz).

To put things into perspective, most 60Hz territory TV can run a custom resolution of 50Hz even if that refresh rate is not exposed in the stock EDID, and the same goes for running 100Hz if its a TV capable of 120Hz input (unless it's a panel not sold in 50HZ territories, like some Vizio TVs). For this reason, there's little reason to expect any LG OLED to not be able to run 120Hz input, especially for something like LG's 48" OLEDs where they are definitely using the same panel world-wide due to being supply-contained and selling every 48" panel that they make.

And just a point of clarification, custom resolutions and refresh rates tend to work very differently on TVs than monitors; on a monitor you can usually use any weird refresh rate as long as it's above the minimum and below the maximum of your panel's capabilities and you'll be fine (e.g. running 67Hz on a 75Hz monitor). But on a TV, running oddball refresh rates like 56Hz almost always does not work correctly (you may get judder or tearing) despite it being able to run both 50Hz and 60Hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeho
like this
Hey guys,

Started down the rabbit hole of upgrading my Acer Predator x34 for one of these.

I did upgrade my living room tv to a CX 65 about 2 weeks ago from Costco, which looks great with the Series X.

Currently in my office I have my older C6 55 mounted above my monitor, with 2 24" stacked on the side.

Would require me raising my C6 a bit to fit the CX 48 under it.

Does anyone know if Costco actually carries these in store or is it online only?

How are you fears about burn in and using this as a daily driver?

My PC has a 2080ti with a i9900k, anyone have a similar setup and how is 4k with it?

Thanks for the help.

Hey guys,

Started down the rabbit hole of upgrading my Acer Predator x34 for one of these.

I did upgrade my living room tv to a CX 65 about 2 weeks ago from Costco, which looks great with the Series X.

Currently in my office I have my older C6 55 mounted above my monitor, with 2 24" stacked on the side.

Does anyone know if Costco actually carries these in store or is it online only?

My PC has a 2080ti with a i9900k, anyone have a similar setup and how is 4k with it?

Thanks for the help.
Get rid of the old one and buy the CX 55 if you want a bigger screen. You need only one of these as they're all equally good as a monitor.

With my second Xbox controller ~ kidney shaped desk and my chair both on caster wheels I could have rolled back farther than I'm sitting currently. Right now I have the rolling desk butted right up against the long rectangular desk my monitors are on, with the leading edge overlapping an inch or so. That works out well for me space wise but considering my separate desk configuration I could have easily moved back farther and bought the 55 inch version, saving 200 bucks on the bb cybermonday deal. That would have made the side monitors a little farther apart and farther away but it would have worked.

Thank you! This works early on, however, after longer stretches, 15mins or so, it’s tough to bring back.
Although I think I found the culprit that was keeping it dimmed, Wallpaper Engine! I use it extensively and even more so now, to protect from burn in. Disabling it and re enabling it got the screen back.

I just use a full black, solid wallpaper which is like the TV is off when it's a blank screen.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.
I ran my CX48 with a 9900KS and 2080Ti for a couple of weeks before I got my 3080. It was great. I only game on it and only noticed some subsampling in SWTOR. It ran everything I played on it just fine. I am not sure about Costco, I got mine from Amazon.

I'm getting noblechairs epic for Christmas. Thinking about getting a new desk to go along with it.

Do yall have a recommendation on a desk for the cx48?

Right now I have your typical glass elbow desk. Think its 30" deep and 4' on each leg.

I'm putting this on my wish list as a potential upgrade someday. Though I like my current setup of a somewhat smaller desk on wheels that is separate from a long desk my monitors are on, this desk I'm suggesting is much wider. These studio desks aren't cheap at just under $500 but compared to some studio desks that's not a bad deal. The desks look very spacious at 71 x 40 x 37 inches and with a large tray.
Tray measures 39.5” and has 5.5” vertical clearance. Comfortably fits most 61 key keyboard controllers, but anything over 39” might bump up against the tray suspension/supports

Just search studio desk on amazon and some variations of this desk will show up. I'd omit the installation of the upper shelves if I ever get this (I do on any desk that has those) and would probably put the CX on a floor stand at whatever distance on the wall in front of the desk. Since the desk is on wheels like my current peripheral desk is,, it would be very easy to modify viewing distances as long as the screen is mounted separately from the "command center" desk.

A1b7F5LcfrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91nIUwnWIQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

d7-5b0aab084b23_2.1e83374f84e1c6c107071acd6c9c8f36.jpg

I'm getting noblechairs epic for Christmas. Thinking about getting a new desk to go along with it.

Do yall have a recommendation on a desk for the cx48?

Right now I have your typical glass elbow desk. Think its 30" deep and 4' on each leg.

If you do get a new desk get something narrow with just enough room to comfortably fit your keyboard and mouse surface. Then you can have the screen lower than the desk without it being obscured.

I custom built a desk so I could do this with multiple rows of monitors years ago and the 48" basically just replaced 4 24" screens and fits perfectly. I'm not sure if there are good buyable options yet.

Get rid of the old one and buy the CX 55 if you want a bigger screen. You need only one of these as they're all equally good as a monitor.
Just a bit worried about sitting that close to a 55" display for my monitor. As a tv now its more background noise above my setup.

Just a bit worried about sitting that close to a 55" display for my monitor. As a tv now its more background noise above my setup.

It's all about viewing distance. My CX 48 looks pretty nice with 120% scaling at about 100-110cm viewing distance. With a 55" you would definitely want more than that to make it more palatable both in terms of size and how sharp text looks.

If you are using it with a normal desk and chair at normal monitor viewing distances you won't be able to see the title bar or task bar in full screen applications when looking dead center of the screen. The 48" is a much better solution for pc use. I use solidworks on mine 16 hours a week working from home and it's no problem. The two days I had a 55" I had a neck pain from looking up all day. You would have to wall mount it or put it on a stand and slide the desk back.

Plus the dpi on the 48" is similar to a 24" 1080p monitor. You really don't want to go down from that for text clarity. The WRGB pixel arrangement already does funky shit to fonts.

If you don't have an exceptionally deep desk or table then the floor tv stands are probably the easiest if you have room to move your desk or the stand away from each other. Those Vesa floor stands are around $100 to $130. You could also use something like a smallish wooden microwave stand or mini table top hutch type thing behind your desk to put the monitor on for the extra space. I used to do that with a fw900 (because otherwise it would have taken over the whole desk), and I later did it with a 37" westinghouse 1080p I used briefly in order to increase the distance.

Old pic in a different room with different desk .. 2006 :cool:

westy-FullDesk-B_10-31-06.jpg

I mentioned the pricier desks I was looking at because equinox554 asked for suggestions and it already sounded like he was getting a more expensive quality chair.

In regard to having the screen beneath the desk - all three of my screens are on the top of the desk surface. I have a chair with full arm-elbow wrist support across the desk arms aligned to my desk surface and it also has full head and neck support. So I just tilt the chair back like 5 degrees or so to a sniffing position. You'd be suprised at how much higher up that puts an invisible line from your eyeballs to the middle of a tall screen when sitting 3ft + away. My desk also has a foot board across the bottom incidentally so overall it's extremely comfortable. Again it's just a sniffing angle not a nosebleed angle (actually you aren't supposed to tilt your headback for nosebleeds anymore but you get what I mean). I have a 43" 4k in portrait mode on each side of the LG 48CX currently and they are even taller. Only the top 6" requires me to really glance upward more than my regular neutral head position on the headrest so I prioritize my windows and readout apps, etc accordingly regarding how high on the monitors I place them.

Last edited:
Is anyone still using the ASBL "fix" in the service menu? How's it still working for you guys with all the updates we've had? I'd like to try it.
I have a 5 yr BB warranty on my set and get annoyed with the auto dimming.

Is anyone still using the ASBL "fix" in the service menu? How's it still working for you guys with all the updates we've had? I'd like to try it.
I have a 5 yr BB warranty on my set and get annoyed with the auto dimming.

I have ASBL turned off and it works fine for desktop use now.

I have a 43" 4k in portrait mode on each side of the LG 48CX currently and they are even taller. Only the top 6" requires me to really glance upward more than my regular neutral head position on the headrest so I prioritize my windows and readout apps, etc accordingly regarding how high on the monitors I place them.

Do you have a pic of your current setup? I remember you had some massive battlestation thing but interested in how the 43 screens look compared to 48". How do you feel about the difference in PPI?

I use an Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk that I got for under $300 on Massdrop. It is plenty big and holds everything, but when I bump the front of it, there is more movement than I like. It does not feel unstable or in danger of failing, just wobbles.

Ideally you want your arms slightly angled from your sides and your forearms to be parallel with the ground resting on your keyboard and mouse. Your legs should also be parallel with the ground and the surface should barely be above them. This minimizes strain on your wrists.
You want your eyes to line up with the top of your screen so you only need to look down which minimizes stress to your neck and eyes.

I have a custom desk with separate motorized height adjustments for the monitors and keybard/mouse surface and plenty of depth to move the screens as far back as I want so I could play around with it to get perfect ergonomics.

This is what I've found to be ideal positioning ergonomically for me. I'm 6'2":

30" distance from my eyes to the screen - I can comfortably read everything with 100% scaling. I use it like a grid of four 24" 1080p screens for normal PC use and a large field of view big screen for gaming.

27.5" height keyboard/mouse surface - my elbows form a 90 degree angle and my forearms are parallel with the ground
21.5" height screen surface using the stand it came with - my eyes line up with the top of the screen which ends up around 47"

This puts the screen surface 6 inches below the keyboard/mouse surface.
This is the complete opposite of what a typical desk is designed for where the screen surface is higher than the keyboard and mouse. You can't use a normal desk if you want ideal ergonomics with a screen this large. If you can't get a new desk/stand/etc you'll just have to make the best out of what you've got, but I definitely recommend going the extra step and getting everything perfectly setup if you're already spending $1500 on the screen plus whatever hardware you needed to drive it.

This is what mine looks like:

IMG_20201121_010621.jpg

Back