LG 48CX

Man, this is one long ass thread. All you guys have me super tempted to get the 48" CX. I have decent desk space that is 32" deep so I figure that should be fine. Should have room width wise for it now that I have replaced my monitor speakers with the creative Katana (54" from the edge to where my computer sits). I have placed an order in for a Acer Predator CG437K for $999 (backordered a couple weeks), my plan was to get it and a HP Reverb G2 VR headset for the same $$ as the CX. Figured I'd sacrifice some PQ with the Acer so I could have both, but part of me still wants to get the CX. I have not noticed ghosting on my high refresh VA monitors, so I do not think that will be a issue. That said, should I cancel the Acer/HP orders and just get the CX and maybe just get the VR headset next year? The last of my gaming upgrade budget is tied up in getting a new AMD/Nvidia card to power the 4k goodness once I see what AMD has to offer here is a few more weeks.

However great the CX is - it can't replace VR experience.

I would however cancel the Acer order (whatever monitor that might be) and get the cheapest display you can grab (really, anything, get some used one for 40 bucks or sth) and save up for the CX on a later date

That's weird. Even with future frame rendering + dx11?

Some other people mentioned stuttering with >96fps on the CX but I can't test myself since the gods of nvidia did not grace me with an Ampere GPU.

My experience has been smooth as silk (3090 w/ waterblock + 48CX) since the firmware update.

Been playing Metro and Borderlands 3. No stuttering issues at all.

After a reboot, I do sometimes lose display until I toggle instant game response. Not hugely annoying, but still an issue.

My experience has been smooth as silk (3090 w/ waterblock + 48CX) since the firmware update.

After a reboot, I do sometimes lose display until I toggle instant game response. Not hugely annoying, but still an issue.

Hmmm looks like DX12 is the culprit in BFV.....and Squadrons is just another half backed launch

Can anyone confirm what cables (including lengths) support this screen at 4K 120Hz from a RTX 3080?

The only one that I've been able to find on this thread so far sounds like:
  1. Club3D CAC-1372 (less than 10ft)

Any others?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there a difference between the models OLED48CXAUB at Costco and the OLED48CXPUB at Amazon? As far as I can tell the specs are the same, but was not sure if something was removed for the AUB model. Costco is giving 3 additional years warranty (squaretrade) for free on top of the normal 2 for the same price of $1450.

Is there a difference between the models OLED48CXAUB at Costco and the OLED48CXPUB at Amazon? As far as I can tell the specs are the same, but was not sure if something was removed for the AUB model. Costco is giving 3 additional years warranty (squaretrade) for free on top of the normal 2 for the same price of $1450.
They're identical. Certain big sellers get different model numbers from LG.

Have you guys seen the 48 sony? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...4k_a9s.html/SID/wtbs_5f791b8af28c82563bb80b71

maybe it wont have the problems some of you are facing.

I don't know about the A9S, but Rtings reviewed the A9G and two things that I see initially are higher input lag and not G-Sync compatible. Maybe someone here will pick one up and compare for us. :) Plus, I've not owned a Sony TV in forever...not sure how they are in terms of resolving issues via firmware updates. We know that LG is pretty darn good there, historically.

I don't know man...I just tested BFV with gsync OFF, FPS capped @ 119 and Vsync on and it is A MILLION times smoother than
gsync ON. Same thing with COD MW 2019.

Do you have the travesty known as BFV and or COD 2019 to test?

Also can you test if BFI 4k120 FULL 8-bit or 10-bit RGB works....cause that doesn't work on mine.
Only 4k120 limited 420 works with BFI.

If you are seeing similar results as me, then LG & Nvidia need to fix this shit!

Not sure about CX's, but I think on the Costco versions of previous LG OLEDs they didn't support some wireless speaker protocol no one uses.

im kinda looking at getting one of these cx 48s, but im running into one potential issue with my setup. has anyone used some kind of adapter plate to mount this to a 400x400 wall mount?

I'm noticing 2 things.

The first is that the VRR black level or whatever bug is a once you see it can't unsee thing. Anytime you move the entire screens brightness subtly lifts. After you notice, it's super annoying.

Secondly there is definitely something wrong with either the firmware or NV driver when it comes to Gsync. There is some really bad frame pacing/stutter and general lack of smoothness at high refresh rate but oddly it's not present in every game. Dirt 2.0 for me is a choppy mess even though I'm at a capped 117FPS.

I'm on the chroma fix firmware and latest hotfix driver.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:
im kinda looking at getting one of these cx 48s, but im running into one potential issue with my setup. has anyone used some kind of adapter plate to mount this to a 400x400 wall mount?

I use this one for 75x75, 100x100, 200x200 for my 43" samsung tvs on ergotron LX HD arms.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079SF6XG9/

This one might work for you though, or just search vesa 400 plate.
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Plus-Adapter-Plate-Mounts/dp/B014M4IT0M/

Adapter plates should be fine. I have mine mounted on a 100x100 -> 300x200 adapter on a monitor arm so going from larger mount to smaller will be no issue.

I'm noticing 2 things.

The first is that the VRR black level or whatever bug is a once you see it can't unsee thing. Anytime you move the entire screens brightness subtly lifts. After you notice, it's super annoying.

Secondly there is definitely something wrong with either the firmware or NV driver when it comes to Gsync. There is some really bad frame pacing/stutter and general lack of smoothness at high refresh rate but oddly it's not present in every game. Dirt 2.0 for me is a choppy need even though I'm called at 117FPS.

Damn, so we're not there yet...

I got impatient waiting for an EU firmware update to 03.11.25 so I set my TV to engineer mode and this allowed me to download the update.
To do this you need the service remote or Android phone with IR blaster (I used an old Samsung Galaxy S4) and LG Service Remote Control app (costs a few bucks).

DISCLAIMER: MESSING WITH THE SERVICE MENU CAN MESS UP YOUR TV. So be careful. Avoid the IN STOP menu as that seems likely to cause issues if you change things there.
  1. Open IN START menu.
  2. Insert passcode 0413.
  3. Go to "5. System 2" menu.
  4. Set mode from "User" to "Engineering".
  5. Exit service menu.
  6. Restart TV.
  7. Look for updates and after a few tries it should find the new version. Update to 03.11.25.
  8. Restart TV.
  9. Go to service menu again and set mode back to "User".
  10. Restart TV.

I am now running 03.11.25 firmware and with 2080 Ti + Club3D Adapter I can confirm that 4K 120 Hz 10-bit HDR works without chroma subsampling issues!

VRR does not work with the adapter yet but I hope Club3D can make that happen as it's the final thing for pretty much achieving feature parity in this regard with the Nvidia 30 series GPUs.

I also tested 3840x1600 120 Hz custom resolution and it still works for me just fine.

3090 and 48CX still borked it looks like. Good thing I didn't cave into the scalpers.

I have been going out of my mind lately trying to find a known working HDMI 2.1 cable for the LG CX & nextgen sources like the RTX 30 series so I created the below thread / database over on AVS.

If you are a CX owner & have an RTX 30 series card PLEASE head over and document your working cable.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/kn...-lg-cx-gx-nextgen-2-1-sources-thread.3169380/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088T32WTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been working like a charm. COD:MW, No Mans Sky, World of Warcraft, and Horizon Zero Dawn all work flawlessly with Gsync on.

I'm noticing 2 things.

Secondly there is definitely something wrong with either the firmware or NV driver when it comes to Gsync. There is some really bad frame pacing/stutter and general lack of smoothness at high refresh rate but oddly it's not present in every game. Dirt 2.0 for me is a choppy need even though I'm called at 117FPS.

Yep its a shitshow....I noticed it on my 3080 Ventus and now 3090 FE.
I wonder if Nvidia & LG are ever going to fix this shit.

Tacos & Brackle....there is something wrong with your eyes!
Its like a minor craptastic microstutter effect with gsync on....perhaps
if your not sensitive to SLI miscrostutter your not sensitive to this I dont know
but its def a thing....a thing that fucking sucks.

So we have two users who report stuttering and two with full smoothness galore. A new mystery unfolds. How exciting! I just hope Horizon is good for me. Probably a driver thing if it's only happening in certain games.

if your not sensitive to SLI miscrostutter your not sensitive to this I dont know

Naw nothing wrong with my eyes. It is as smooth as my Dell S2716DG G-sync monitor. Trust me, I for one absolutely hate stutter or chunkiness and I can tell right away if there is an issue. The new firmware has been top notch for me.

Now before the firmware update and gsync off the CX, it w as terrible laugh. Once you VRR/Gsync you can never go back to using a non VRR/Gsync monitor or TV.

Just my 0.02c

Multiple users reporting Ampere plus new 48CX firmware reporting stuttering with G-Sync on. IMO there most likely is a big problem.

Naw nothing wrong with my eyes. It is as smooth as my Dell S2716DG G-sync monitor. Trust me, I for one absolutely hate stutter or chunkiness and I can tell right away if there is an issue. The new firmware has been top notch for me.

Now before the firmware update and gsync off the CX, it w as terrible laugh. Once you VRR/Gsync you can never go back to using a non VRR/Gsync monitor or TV.

Just my 0.02c

Gsync / VRR was brilliant with my 2080ti on the Alienware 55 and this 48CX.

3080 Ventus and 3090 FE has stutters which are annoying as fuck.

Problem is completely gone once gsync is disabled and I run 119fps capped vsync.

I want to replace my Alienware 34” with this however I keep stopping before I pull the trigger due to being scared about burn in and these little issues you guys are going through. Last night I was readying most people were saying the new firmware and driver fixed everything however now maybe it isn’t.

The stutter with Gsync is definitely there. You can easily test by just turning it off.

I dunno if stutter is the correct word but it's more like you're at 117FPS but smoothness is comparable to 60FPS with random frame pacing.

I'm going to do some more investigation to see if maybe it's the games launching at full screen at some odd refresh rate or something. Also some user on reddit mentioned it's smooth below 96hz. Going to see if capping FPS below that resolves the smoothness issue.

As for the VRR gamma bug, it's pretty disappointing because I never really "noticed" it but now that I have it's really difficult to ignore. It's super obvious in dark games and I'd argue 90% of people wouldn't even notice it in most gaming circumstances but like I said once you're aware of what to look for it's visible everywhere (like overshoot with a monitor that has too aggressive an overdrive setting).

Last edited:
Gsync / VRR was brilliant with my 2080ti on the Alienware 55 and this 48CX.

3080 Ventus and 3090 FE has stutters which are annoying as fuck.

Problem is completely gone once gsync is disabled and I run 119fps capped vsync.
Well one thing I do is cap my fps at 119 with rivatuner. Always cap my fps, and I always turn off vsync. Really sorry to hear you are having issues.

I don't have BF5 or the new COD to test on my setup. Are you seeing these issues in anything else?

Well one thing I do is cap my fps at 119 with rivatuner. Always cap my fps, and I always turn off vsync. Really sorry to hear you are having issues.

Your not really running proper gsync then matey. With vsync OFF, Gsync on and FPS capped @ 119 you still get screen tearing.

You gotta run Gsync ON, Vsync ON and FPS capped @ 118 or 119 for proper smooth tear free gaming.

Currently Gsync OFF, Vsync ON and FPS capped at 119 is much smoother / better. Try it.

Back