• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Alright, so I've got this thing hooked up. 3840x2160p@120Hz RGB. Text looks sharp on the desktop, no issue.

However, screen is flickering black (very brief) every 10 seconds or so. Crap HDMI cable?

EDIT: Nevermind, GSync. Chroma issue more evident now that I've had a minute to investigate.
 
Last edited:
I was all set to buy a 3090 today. Then, there was no stock. What a surprise.

Now, having read reviews, it seems like a minimal upgrade above a 3080. I'm worried about the 10GB on the 3080. So I don't really want either card - there are compromises either way (3080=memory, 3090=value for money). Neither cards make sense to me.

Given that I can't buy either currently, I'll wait until AMD show their hand later this year, then decide. Hopefully before Christmas though, as I want to upgrade for the sake of my LG 48CX.
 
I was all set to buy a 3090 today. Then, there was no stock. What a surprise.

Now, having read reviews, it seems like a minimal upgrade above a 3080. I'm worried about the 10GB on the 3080. So I don't really want either card - there are compromises either way (3080=memory, 3090=value for money). Neither cards make sense to me.

Given that I can't buy either currently, I'll wait until AMD show their hand later this year, then decide. Hopefully before Christmas though, as I want to upgrade for the sake of my LG 48CX.

Makes the most sense for me to buy the 3080 and flip it once the 20GB model comes if hitting the limits (which may be awhile...)
 
I was all set to buy a 3090 today. Then, there was no stock. What a surprise.

Now, having read reviews, it seems like a minimal upgrade above a 3080. I'm worried about the 10GB on the 3080. So I don't really want either card - there are compromises either way (3080=memory, 3090=value for money). Neither cards make sense to me.

Given that I can't buy either currently, I'll wait until AMD show their hand later this year, then decide. Hopefully before Christmas though, as I want to upgrade for the sake of my LG 48CX.

It hasn't been proven that games really need more than 10GB at 4k, at least not yet. Seeing how low the supply of 3090s is, I guess I'll try to snag a 3080 too. Probably have a better shot at obtaining one of those vs a 3090.
 
I'm not sure I want a 10GB 3080. Sure it'd be fine for a couple of years, but then we might start seeing unoptimised PS5 ports start to hit PC. Will 10GB suddenly be a problem?
 
I'm not sure I want a 10GB 3080. Sure it'd be fine for a couple of years, but then we might start seeing unoptimised PS5 ports start to hit PC. Will 10GB suddenly be a problem?

Eh if you plan to keep your GPU for a very long time then maybe. For me, by the time we actually need more than 10GB for games to be playable at 4k, I will have already bought a next gen nvidia Hopper GPU.
 
I'm not sure I want a 10GB 3080. Sure it'd be fine for a couple of years, but then we might start seeing unoptimised PS5 ports start to hit PC. Will 10GB suddenly be a problem?
If you want buy a GPU and forget about upgrading for a few years, then the RTX 3090 is better. Otherwise you're much better off just selling the 3080 when something better comes along with more VRAM.
 
Exactly. People think all TVs go on sale and its not true. The new high end TVs won't be on sale. Most people don't need or want high end anyway. They want cheap and get cheap which is fine for watching TV and movies.

You can easily check the deals from last november on slickdeals.net or other sites.. The C9 went on sale from serveral places as well as the year prior's OLEDs. This has been true every year.. sometimes even the flagship 77" ones get a price cut. These are price reductions, not doorbuster rob the store for 1/2 off but you can save a couple to serveral hundred dollars depending on the model and in if you get in on the sale before it closes /stock liquidates. In november they aren't as new anymore. This is because like cars, there is always another new year's model coming the following year.

In addition to that, there will be more time for firmware and nvidia driver updates. This is most definitely in early adopter time window as far as hdmi 2.1gpu + hdmi 2.1 OLED go features wise.
 
I'm surprised at how many people are using 48" as their daily driver. I'm assuming folks are putting their screen all the way back to avoid breaking necks and blurring eyes with it so close?
That's the way to do it. Nicely done.

I'm using a separate "island" desk shaped like a xbox one controller that is on caster wheels and I keep my monitors and monitor arms on their own bench like desk. I just redid the whole setup so that my side monitors are now in portrait mode and are far enough away to fit a 48" or 55" OLED in november. So the side portrait monitors are where the speakers are in your picture more or less. I'm trying that out at 48" away to utilize the array better at it's new extents and get everything set up right ahead of time.

At this distance my 43" 4k monitors benefited from increasing the scaling to 125% but it should be fine for a 48" or 55" OLED at 100% 1:1. If I were to sit much farther I'd have to scale all of them, so yes distance is entirely the determining factor of how big the screen and the pixels appear in your personal FoV.

I thought this might be of interest... though it is specifically for movie watching not for pc use (especially a multi-monitor array).

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/
New cinemas built to THX specifications have a minimum viewing angle of 36 degrees from the last row of seats.

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees
where SMPTE, THX and 20th Century Fox recommendations converge. This matches quite closely with CEDIA’s 43 degree viewing angle recommendation for 2.4:1 ‘Cinemascope’ content as per CEB-23. For reference 43 degrees is 3x picture height using a 2.35:1 screen.

Depending on where you like to sit in a commercial theater you might have a viewing angle of anywhere from 36 to 60 degrees. Personal preference is therefore an important factor and should be a prime consideration when laying out your home theater.

382904_Erick2520Garci2520diagram.gif
 
Alright, so I've got this thing hooked up. 3840x2160p@120Hz RGB. Text looks sharp on the desktop, no issue.

However, screen is flickering black (very brief) every 10 seconds or so. Crap HDMI cable?

EDIT: Nevermind, GSync. Chroma issue more evident now that I've had a minute to investigate.

Hooked up my 3080 to the 48cx today and its a BIG improvement vs the 2080ti's 420.
I am using the 6's Club 3D 8k60 / 4k120 hdmi cable and things look freakin great.

Yes, that flickering black is caused by gsync malfunctioning....gotta turn that off for now.
Can't wait for new LG firmware and new Nvidia drivers.....but so far I am impressed and have not played one game yet lol.
 
LOL, look at this listing on eBay. A printed image! It actually got a bid. I was looking at 3090 listings on eBay for fun. The video card scalping is disgusting. I have a feeling I am going to be waiting a couple of months for the 3090. Not even sure I want it now, based on a review video I saw. 15% performance increase isn't worth twice the price, even though I desperately want the 24gb for triple CX48's.

EDIT: I just noticed it is for charity or something. Didn't see that before.

Anyway. The wait is on.

25092020000073.jpg
 
Last edited:
So guys, do I send my cx back or not? I've got a 3080 on the way but only a few more days to return the cx, not been any news from LG yet on the issues. Getting nervous.
 
So guys, do I send my cx back or not? I've got a 3080 on the way but only a few more days to return the cx, not been any news from LG yet on the issues. Getting nervous.

I personally have faith in it. But we do need some time. If you feel it is a gamble you annot afford...send it back. You can always dive back in...
 
Yeah man it's not like you can't get one again. If you need the peace of mind, send it back.
 
I personally have faith in it. But we do need some time. If you feel it is a gamble you annot afford...send it back. You can always dive back in...
I can afford it but would still sting if I had the opportunity to return it but didn't and LG wind up not fixing it....argh but it looks great even now belt the 3080. My last TV was like 6 years old
 
I can afford it but would still sting if I had the opportunity to return it but didn't and LG wind up not fixing it....argh but it looks great even now belt the 3080. My last TV was like 6 years old

LG has already said they are going to fix it. It's just that it could take a while.
 
Ok so I got a 3080 and been testing with my CX 48. So far, it hasn't helped at all upgrading from a 2080 Ti:

  • When switching resolutions and settings, the HDMI 1 input keeps resetting from PC back to default HDMI. Super annoying
  • I STILL can't create a custom resolution (3840x1600) above 60hz - Yes I have tried two HDMI 2.1 cables
  • GSync is completely inconsistent or doesn't work correctly at any resolution or frequency (I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and LG firmware) - Yes, I know a "fix" is incoming but we don't have exact details or date
  • I have been testing a $249 40" Vizio V Series next to the CX 48 and even though the motion isn't as smooth and blacks aren't as deep, it's a steal for a fraction of the price.
In the end, there are just too many issues to stick with this display for a dedicated PC gaming display. Now, if LG or some other companies would be off their butts and make a 38" Ultawide OLED, it would be a dream. Yet with latest high end monitor prices at over $2000, I am more skeptical than ever...
 
Ok so I got a 3080 and been testing with my CX 48. So far, it hasn't helped at all upgrading from a 2080 Ti:

  • When switching resolutions and settings, the HDMI 1 input keeps resetting from PC back to default HDMI. Super annoying
  • I STILL can't create a custom resolution (3840x1600) above 60hz - Yes I have tried two HDMI 2.1 cables
  • GSync is completely inconsistent or doesn't work correctly at any resolution or frequency (I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and LG firmware) - Yes, I know a "fix" is incoming but we don't have exact details or date
  • I have been testing a $249 40" Vizio V Series next to the CX 48 and even though the motion isn't as smooth and blacks aren't as deep, it's a steal for a fraction of the price.
In the end, there are just too many issues to stick with this display for a dedicated PC gaming display. Now, if LG or some other companies would be off their butts and make a 38" Ultawide OLED, it would be a dream. Yet with latest high end monitor prices at over $2000, I am more skeptical than ever...

1) Don't switch resolutions or settings. WTF are you doing with anything other than 4k120 10bit Full RGB.

2) Don't create custom resolutions, see above!
3) TUrn Gsync off and wait
4) Get that Vizio crap outta here!

I use my 48cx for work productivity and the 3080 desktop text / color image clarity is SO MUCH better vs the 2080ti. This 48cx may not be presenting the full 10bit RGB 4k120 source, but it is vastly superior to the shittastic limited chroma 420 the 2080ti was putting out.
 
1) Don't switch resolutions or settings. WTF are you doing with anything other than 4k120 10bit Full RGB.

2) Don't create custom resolutions, see above!
3) TUrn Gsync off and wait
4) Get that Vizio crap outta here!

I use my 48cx for work productivity and the 3080 is SO MUCH better for work productivity vs
the 2080ti. This 48cx may not be presenting the full 10bit RGB 4k120 source, but it is vastly superior to the shittastic 420 the 2080ti was putting out.

LOL! Great responses. Full 3840x2160 is WAY too big of space for a 48" on my desk. Also, I prefer ultrawides 100%. I just wanted the deep blacks and pop of OLED. Lastly, sometimes the HDMI setting just resets even if I just turn off the TV and back on. If there was a 38" OLED Ultrawide monitor, I'd forget this troubleshooting mess and pull the trigger right now.
 
LOL! Great responses. Full 3840x2160 is WAY too big of space for a 48" on my desk. Also, I prefer ultrawides 100%. I just wanted the deep blacks and pop of OLED. Lastly, sometimes the HDMI setting just resets even if I just turn off the TV and back on. If there was a 38" OLED Ultrawide monitor, I'd forget this troubleshooting mess and pull the trigger right now.

NO OLED FOR YOUR!!!!

tenor.gif
 
I can afford it but would still sting if I had the opportunity to return it but didn't and LG wind up not fixing it....argh but it looks great even now belt the 3080. My last TV was like 6 years old

I hear you man. I bought 3 for multi monitors. I am placing faith in it. But even as it stands now...I am shocked at how much I dig running them even at 1440p. With all the bells and whistles. 3.5 feet back. HDR. 120hz. It is striking to me even without the ideal 4k...the OLED 120hz versus crap 60hz 4k LCD.

Follow your heart and mind. I know it is a lot....
 

Haha! Trust me. As an owner of only plasma TVs over the years and this as my first OLED, it's even more painful trying to find a good monitor at something under 48" inches with decent blacks and response times.

I am sure the CX 48 would be a perfect next gen console display from the couch but for the desk, there are just too many gotchas currently from my testing as a PC monitor.
 
Haha! Trust me. As an owner of only plasma TVs over the years and this as my first OLED, it's even more painful trying to find a good monitor at something under 48" inches with decent blacks and response times.

I am sure the CX 48 would be a perfect next gen console display from the couch but for the desk, there are just too many gotchas currently from my testing as a PC monitor.

If you want custom resolutions you can always by the Alienware 55, but be careful as you may have the same thing happen to you which happened to a "friend" of mine.

1) Spend 4 grand, receive AW55 two weeks late because Dell sucks ass
2) Notice 15 pixel blemish in screen because Dell sucks ass
3) Spend a week dealing with Dell CSRs because they and Dell suck ass
4) Eventually talk them into sending replacement display for you to swap out
5) Receive replacement display but it sits unopened for a week because your business is slammed
6) Swap out old blemished display for new replacement
7) Next day your wife throws a shoe at your head and it misses you but SMASHES the brand new replacement AW55.
8) Spend another couple of days with Dell CSRs only to have them tell you piss off
9) Search high and low for replacement screen for shoe smashed one
10) Give up because there are NO replacement screens and throw whole thing in dumpster downstairs of your condo.
11) Keep using your original blemished AW55
12) Get COVID-19 and be flat on your back for two months and almost die multiple times
13) Loose a shit load of money because of being out of work
14) Get desperate and sell blemished AW55 on ebay
15) Have buyer run serial number after receiving AW55 and start a whole shitstorm with Dell
16) Have buyer file claim for his $2100 back
17) Pay buyer $2100 back and have him ship blemished AW55 to Dell
18) Be out original $4,000 purchase price and now $2100 resale price.
19) Buy a 48CX locally for $1500
20) Listen to ungrateful spoiled bitches whine on online forums!
21) Drink Heavily on a Friday
22) Profit!
 
That's.. quite the story :)

I am not trying to whine. The CX 48 is a gorgeous display but I am not the only one having issues with it for PC gaming... Just sayin.
 
LOL! Great responses. Full 3840x2160 is WAY too big of space for a 48" on my desk. Also, I prefer ultrawides 100%. I just wanted the deep blacks and pop of OLED. Lastly, sometimes the HDMI setting just resets even if I just turn off the TV and back on. If there was a 38" OLED Ultrawide monitor, I'd forget this troubleshooting mess and pull the trigger right now.
Since you have a 3080, try using GPU scaling instead of display scaling on the custom resolution. That should send a 2160p output to the TV and take it doing anything weird out of the equation.
 
Since you have a 3080, try using GPU scaling instead of display scaling on the custom resolution. That should send a 2160p output to the TV and take it doing anything weird out of the equation.

I have been trying this from the start on both HDMI 2.0 (2080 Ti) and 2.1 (3080) - Screen just goes blank on anything above 60hz for any custom res on both cards and both displays I am testing (CX 48 and Vizio 40 V)


1601077910558.png
 
Damn LG. Giving the C9 owners love but not the CX? Maybe they need more time to they can roll it out with the 4:4:4 120Hz fix?
 
This is actually the fastest they have ever acted with a firmware update. Hopefully they fix the CX by the time I can actually get an Ampere card.
 
Ok so I got a 3080 and been testing with my CX 48. So far, it hasn't helped at all upgrading from a 2080 Ti:

  • When switching resolutions and settings, the HDMI 1 input keeps resetting from PC back to default HDMI. Super annoying
  • I STILL can't create a custom resolution (3840x1600) above 60hz - Yes I have tried two HDMI 2.1 cables
  • GSync is completely inconsistent or doesn't work correctly at any resolution or frequency (I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and LG firmware) - Yes, I know a "fix" is incoming but we don't have exact details or date
  • I have been testing a $249 40" Vizio V Series next to the CX 48 and even though the motion isn't as smooth and blacks aren't as deep, it's a steal for a fraction of the price.
In the end, there are just too many issues to stick with this display for a dedicated PC gaming display. Now, if LG or some other companies would be off their butts and make a 38" Ultawide OLED, it would be a dream. Yet with latest high end monitor prices at over $2000, I am more skeptical than ever...

1. Input resetting usually only happens when the TV thinks the cable is disconnected. For me this has happened pretty rarely. I have my MacBook Pro 2016 hooked up with a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter and my PC hooked up with both my 2080 Ti HDMI 2.0 using a CableMatters "4K 120 Hz" cable and finally the Club3D DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter with the Club3D "10K 120 Hz" cable. For all I know this could be some 3080 driver issue as this definitely should not happen switching resolutions. I would also contact LG support about it in case it's a defective TV.
2. Just before writing this, having clean installed the latest Nvidia drivers, I created both 3840x1600 60 and 120 Hz resolutions from NVCP without issues using the Club3D adapter. So it should be possible and working. IMO there is no point running it at that res on the desktop when you can just use software like MS FancyZones to divide the display as you prefer and arrange apps. I use the bottom 2/3 of the display, effectively resulting in a ~43" 3840x1600 screen. I run a black background so the top part being empty is no issue.
3. Wait for driver/firmware fixes for this. Nothing more you can do.

38" ultrawide OLED would be nice but not happening anytime soon unless some other player (e.g. JOLED or Samsung) makes one. LG doesn't seem too keen to do it. I would take even 4K 16:9 at 38-43" but we are not there yet.

EDIT: For 1. also try disconnecting the Vizio. It might cause some strange issue that conflicts with adding the custom resolution.
 
Damn LG. Giving the C9 owners love but not the CX? Maybe they need more time to they can roll it out with the 4:4:4 120Hz fix?

I certainly hope so. As I don't own a 3080 at this point I care more about the 4:4:4 issue getting fixed than G-Sync. If Club3D manages to enable VRR on their adapter (seems they are working on it based on their Twitter) then I might even skip the 3080 altogether and wait for a refresh Super/Ti cycle, price drops or something.
 
1. Input resetting usually only happens when the TV thinks the cable is disconnected. For me this has happened pretty rarely. I have my MacBook Pro 2016 hooked up with a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter and my PC hooked up with both my 2080 Ti HDMI 2.0 using a CableMatters "4K 120 Hz" cable and finally the Club3D DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter with the Club3D "10K 120 Hz" cable. For all I know this could be some 3080 driver issue as this definitely should not happen switching resolutions. I would also contact LG support about it in case it's a defective TV.
2. Just before writing this, having clean installed the latest Nvidia drivers, I created both 3840x1600 60 and 120 Hz resolutions from NVCP without issues using the Club3D adapter. So it should be possible and working. IMO there is no point running it at that res on the desktop when you can just use software like MS FancyZones to divide the display as you prefer and arrange apps. I use the bottom 2/3 of the display, effectively resulting in a ~43" 3840x1600 screen. I run a black background so the top part being empty is no issue.
3. Wait for driver/firmware fixes for this. Nothing more you can do.

38" ultrawide OLED would be nice but not happening anytime soon unless some other player (e.g. JOLED or Samsung) makes one. LG doesn't seem too keen to do it. I would take even 4K 16:9 at 38-43" but we are not there yet.

EDIT: For 1. also try disconnecting the Vizio. It might cause some strange issue that conflicts with adding the custom resolution.

Thanks for the helpful reply!

  • I don't have the Vizio hooked up at the same time as the CX, I've just been testing them both off and on and stunned at how good the Vizio is for the price. In fact, I had it a week before the CX and it's so surprising, it made the jump to OLED less impactful as I was coming from IPS panels with horrid black levels.

  • I read about the CLub3D adapter and almost picked it up but the shipping was like a week out. So, I know that creating 3840x1600 60+hz is possible in NVCP with the adapter but not sure why it isn't working straight to the CX without the adapter. Also, the reason why I prefer custom resolution and higher refresh rate is because a bunch of games like World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online and even the new MS Flight Simulator do not Window correctly when your fullscreen resolution is set to 3840x2160 and you want to run at ultrawide 3840x1600. If I DO set the desktop resolution to 3840x1600 and run the games at that res, they all work perfectly. Since so many games are skipping out on true exclusive fullscreen, it messes up me trying to run custom resolutions. EDIT: I went ahead and ordered an adapter just now for testing. Won't be here til end of next week.

  • Looks like the C9 got firmware. Hopefully the CX is incoming as I truly would love to settle on a display. Also, if I can just get the Club3D adapter working right with custom res @ 60+hz, I might sell the 3080 while it's hot and stick with the 2080 Ti.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful reply!

  • I don't have the Vizio hooked up at the same time as the CX, I've just been testing them both off and on and stunned at how good the Vizio is for the price. In fact, I had it a week before the CX and it's so surprising, it made the jump to OLED less impactful as I was coming from IPS panels with horrid black levels.

  • I read about the CLub3D adapter and almost picked it up but the shipping was like a week out. So, I know that creating 3840x1600 60+hz is possible in NVCP with the adapter but not sure why it isn't working straight to the CX without the adapter. Also, the reason why I prefer custom resolution and higher refresh rate is because a bunch of games like World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online and even the new MS Flight Simulator do not Window correctly when your fullscreen resolution is set to 3840x2160 and you want to run at ultrawide 3840x1600. If I DO set the desktop resolution to 3840x1600 and run the games at that res, they all work perfectly. Since so many games are skipping out on true exclusive fullscreen, it messes up me trying to run custom resolutions. EDIT: I went ahead and ordered an adapter just now for testing. Won't be here til end of next week.

  • Looks like the C9 got firmware. Hopefully the CX is incoming as I truly would love to settle on a display. Also, if I can just get the Club3D adapter working right with custom res @ 60+hz, I might sell the 3080 while it's hot and stick with the 2080 Ti.

Just note that at the time of writing the Club3D adapter does not support VRR and is not perfect but works pretty decently as long as you have the latest firmware. Long cry from requiring constant power cycling for every resolution change like when it was released. I just thought to mention it as evidence that the LG CX should support 3840x1600 at 120 Hz custom resolutions. Interested to see if the adapter performs any differently on 3080 vs 2080 Ti though.
 
Back
Top