• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Man I want to pull the trigger on a 48CX, but worried that next years model will do the above 4:4:4, 4k, 120hz. this will be a work monitor and gaming like MS Flight sim. FPS shooters will still be on a 240hz 24".
 
Man I want to pull the trigger on a 48CX, but worried that next years model will do the above 4:4:4, 4k, 120hz. this will be a work monitor and gaming like MS Flight sim. FPS shooters will still be on a 240hz 24".
I’m getting a CX48 only for FS and P3D and I guarantee you’ll never have those issues because even with a 3090 you’ll never be above 60FPS at 4K so RGB 60hz will be juuuuust fine.
 
I've been eyeballing the 48CX for a while now - (coming from an 43" Philips Momentum and a 2070 Super).

I'll be waiting for Big Navi to see what the market has in store as 3080 availability is basically non-existent, but I wouldn't mind upgrading my monitor in the meantime as I could get a fair deal (1200 EUR incl. shipping amd taxes) for the 48CX.

However I've got a few questions that maybe some guys here could answer:

1) are the issues the same on FreeSync (and/or "G-Sync compatible"?
2) has anyone tried what's possible using the CRU tool? I was able to get the 43" Momentum working in a 32Hz-63Hz VRR/Freesync range (48Hz-60Hz advertised)
3) I don't usually play current-gen AAA blockbusters so I'm eyeballing 120Hz 4K with G-Sync/FreeSync/"G-Sync compatible" on for now and later either RDNA2 or Ampere for 4K 120Hz HDR 10bit - are there ANY other OLED displays in the 50" ballpark on the horizon?
4) 120Hz BFI in games with G-Sync on - possible?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need an upgrade/investment for the next few years. I can justify holding onto the Philips screen for a while longer (got it for sub 500 shortly after launch, so I can live with it becoming completely worthless in a few months) - but I also don't want to miss out on the deal for 1200 here in Europe for the CX..
 
Man I want to pull the trigger on a 48CX, but worried that next years model will do the above 4:4:4, 4k, 120hz. this will be a work monitor and gaming like MS Flight sim. FPS shooters will still be on a 240hz 24".
Wait for firmware fixes and Black Friday sales.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
November historically has some flash in the pan TV sales. Most likely because they are liquidating stock for next year models, kind of like car dealers do with cars. They also cash in on the holiday spending season purse by luring people to buy from them with price cuts instead of at retail price from someone else.

Last year there were some decent LG C9 sales in novmber, with at least a few hundred dollars off or more. Covid-19 and the supply chain, economic factors related to covid-19, etc could affect things this year one way or another though so there is some uncertainty but it will probably be a similar cycle of TV sale prices overall.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't count on getting a deal on a CX this Nov., maybe a C9. The demand is too high for the CX, especially the 48", and prices refelect the low inflation rates already. Liquidation of C9 stock will likely be the only contributor to good deals.
 
Just pre-ordered a 48 cx at best-buy Canada... I thought the 48 was not going to be released in Canada and will see if my order goes through.
 
Hopefully these "incompatibility issues" also includes 120Hz 444, not just Gsync not working.
 
I wouldn't count on getting a deal on a CX this Nov., maybe a C9. The demand is too high for the CX, especially the 48", and prices refelect the low inflation rates already. Liquidation of C9 stock will likely be the only contributor to good deals.

If not a 48 CX, I'd take a 55 inch CX, C9 or E9 if the price was right (and the firmware fixes satisfactory by then).
 
I suppose no one is running three of these like me for multi monitor, eh? When I wake from PC deep sleep, my screens have either no signal or only one shows the desktop, and I have to restart.

Hope LG finds and monitors this thread...

Use at your own risk. I don't know if resetting display adapter over and over would cumulatively have any negative effect.

SHIFT + CTRL + WIN key + B

this resets the display adapter which blanks the screens once and makes a system beep on the motherboard speaker

0DrSeJA.png

He's complaining about his particular LG pc monitors but this issue can happen to a lot of displays from various manufacturers including displayport connected ones.
 
We can't even buy these in Canada short of a few pre-orders, I highly highly doubt that the 48 will ever go on sale on Black Friday or other ... Seems like LG is selling every unit they make so why would they discount it ?
 
We can't even buy these in Canada short of a few pre-orders, I highly highly doubt that the 48 will ever go on sale on Black Friday or other ... Seems like LG is selling every unit they make so why would they discount it ?
High TVs never go on sale on BF. Deals on high end TVs come out before the new models start to ship. BF are for cheap garbage TVs.
 
VRR is difficult to test without real devices. I'm sure they tested with a 4k120 device that was output at a steady rate, but actual testing of VRR really needs variable rate output, which essentially required a GPU.

Yeah, I partly blame the glacial adoption rate of this feature in gpus. They have to find a way to implement new connectors at a faster pace, I get they need lead time to secure the proper chips and decoders, but there has to be a way to strap on some generalized hardware that can get the job done and meet the spec without waiting 3 years after hdmi 2.1 is announced before we see capable hardware.
 
Is the LG CX capable of doing ultrawide resolutions at above 60hz (ex. 120 hz) with an HDMI 2.1 gpu like the 3080? 3840x1600 @ 120HZ is what I'm interested in.
 
Interesting tidbit: he did not measure increased input lag at 4k 120hz like Rtings did, he found the same value as 1080p/1440p 120hz: 6-7ms (which for the record is an absolutely fantastic number when combined with OLED's instant pixel response times)
 
Last edited:
I suppose no one is running three of these like me for multi monitor, eh? When I wake from PC deep sleep, my screens have either no signal or only one shows the desktop, and I have to restart.

Hope LG finds and monitors this thread...

Are you using the Club3D DP adapters with these? Make sure you are running the latest firmware as it fixes a lot of issues like these. The latest I know of is v1.03.
 
Has anyone had time to experiment with 120Hz BFI? How well it play along with G-Sync/HDR/..?

I would not use it with HDR. It dims highlights way too much. But on SDR it works great. I have mainly tested it on Doom Eternal as that can actually run at 100-120 fps at 4K. With the Medium or Auto settings you do get clearer motion.

VRR does not work together with BFI.
 
Are you using the Club3D DP adapters with these? Make sure you are running the latest firmware as it fixes a lot of issues like these. The latest I know of is v1.03.

I am using the Club 3d adapters, yes. Where do I get the latest firmware?
 
Use at your own risk. I don't know if resetting display adapter over and over would cumulatively have any negative effect.

SHIFT + CTRL + WIN key + B

this resets the display adapter which blanks the screens once and makes a system beep on the motherboard speaker

View attachment 282157

He's complaining about his particular LG pc monitors but this issue can happen to a lot of displays from various manufacturers including displayport connected ones.

Thanks elvn! Let me get back to the computers today and I will report on waking between DP and HDMI...

EDIT:
- just went to my rig and turned on the TV's before waking the PC - and the screens all showed the desktop properly. I will update here again later when I try the reverse of that.
- just noticed my wake procedure ends up in dimmed side TVs. I have to use elvn 's procedure for resetting the adapters with the shortcut: SHIFT-CTL-WinKey-B
 
Last edited:
So uh, was ANYONE able to get a 3090 at all? I had no luck and have given up for the day.

I am waiting for a 3090 myself. I have not yet looked. Wondering if I should wait for a 3rd party card before going for the Founder's Edition....
 
managed to get a 3080 from the nvidia site at 6am today, cant wait to try it with the CX finally to see if it's a huge deal pre firmware or not, then i can decide whether to return the tv.
 
I have a 3090 arriving today that I ordered a few weeks ago. Be nice if LG had a firmware fix available..
 
High TVs never go on sale on BF. Deals on high end TVs come out before the new models start to ship. BF are for cheap garbage TVs.
Exactly. People think all TVs go on sale and its not true. The new high end TVs won't be on sale. Most people don't need or want high end anyway. They want cheap and get cheap which is fine for watching TV and movies.
 
Exactly. People think all TVs go on sale and its not true. The new high end TVs won't be on sale. Most people don't need or want high end anyway. They want cheap and get cheap which is fine for watching TV and movies.
Yep. Size and price is their main consideration. People like to equate the quality of a tv to its size.
 
I'm curious if LG can't fix the issue with 120hz refresh, 4:4:4, 4k, HDR, would they drop the prices?

I'm on the edge of buying this but for the money want something that does all of the above. Admittedly I dont have a GPU that will drive it.. yet. Will probably wait to see if AMD makes an impact to push nvidia to release a Ti or Super version of the 3080.
 
I'm curious if LG can't fix the issue with 120hz refresh, 4:4:4, 4k, HDR, would they drop the prices?

I'm on the edge of buying this but for the money want something that does all of the above. Admittedly I dont have a GPU that will drive it.. yet. Will probably wait to see if AMD makes an impact to push nvidia to release a Ti or Super version of the 3080.

no chance they do TI given how that would ruin their sales for the 3090
 
no chance they do TI given how that would ruin their sales for the 3090

There is enough room between the 699$ 3080 and the 1499$ 3090.. they didn't double the price tag for a merely 15% faster card for no reason.. with that in mind I can see enough room for a a 899$ 3080 Super and a 1.2k$ 3080Ti.. they'll probably be the same specs, just with more RAM which won't result in any immediate gains, at all.

I feel like they went balls out and rushed the Ampere cards specs in fear of RDNA2 given the high TDPs and the premium price tagged 3090 which apart from more RAM just doesn't make sense..

If AMD can counter with Big Navi either the 3090's price will drop hard or they'll slot in a 3080S/Ti - depending on the real world numbers from AMD's offering..
 
R2 gh dxee eddthe d2
I'm curious if LG can't fix the issue with 120hz refresh, 4:4:4, 4k, HDR, would they drop the prices?

I'm on the edge of buying this but for the money want something that does all of the above. Admittedly I dont have a GPU that will drive it.. yet. Will probably wait to see if AMD makes an impact to push nvidia to release a Ti or Super version of the 3080.
Not happening. It something most consumers won't even notice or care about.
 
IMG_0308 (1).jpg


No more 48" for me boys, sold off the 48" last week and moving back to my LG38 Ultrawide as my daily driver then putting the 77" on the wall next to it. The TV it's self is amazing, but 48" is just TOO big for normal desktop use. (And yes I have a huge desk) Even pushing the screen back doesn't help nor make web use comfortable, plus 48" @4k PPI is just too low :(

If LG could make a 40" curved version of this same OLED with an 8k panel, it would be an "end game monitor" :)
 
View attachment 282406

No more 48" for me boys, sold off the 48" last week and moving back to my LG38 Ultrawide as my daily driver then putting the 77" on the wall next to it. The TV it's self is amazing, but 48" is just TOO big for normal desktop use. (And yes I have a huge desk) Even pushing the screen back doesn't help nor make web use comfortable, plus 48" @4k PPI is just too low :(

If LG could make a 40" curved version of this same OLED with an 8k panel, it would be an "end game monitor" :)

It's not even just the size. HDTV Test already mentioned that the subpixel layout results in some slightly weird text as well, plus there's always the burn in argument I guess. The X27 will remain my daily driver while my CX is the dedicated gaming display.
 
I'm surprised at how many people are using 48" as their daily driver. I'm assuming folks are putting their screen all the way back to avoid breaking necks and blurring eyes with it so close?
 
Weird question..but does the CX48 comes with an HDMI 2.1 cable in the box (even if a short one)? Just wondering if I'll need to research and buy an extra HDMI 2.1 cable when the time comes to buy the TV.
 
Back
Top