LG 48CX

So uh, was ANYONE able to get a 3090 at all? I had no luck and have given up for the day.

I am waiting for a 3090 myself. I have not yet looked. Wondering if I should wait for a 3rd party card before going for the Founder's Edition....

managed to get a 3080 from the nvidia site at 6am today, cant wait to try it with the CX finally to see if it's a huge deal pre firmware or not, then i can decide whether to return the tv.

I have a 3090 arriving today that I ordered a few weeks ago. Be nice if LG had a firmware fix available..

High TVs never go on sale on BF. Deals on high end TVs come out before the new models start to ship. BF are for cheap garbage TVs.
Exactly. People think all TVs go on sale and its not true. The new high end TVs won't be on sale. Most people don't need or want high end anyway. They want cheap and get cheap which is fine for watching TV and movies.

Exactly. People think all TVs go on sale and its not true. The new high end TVs won't be on sale. Most people don't need or want high end anyway. They want cheap and get cheap which is fine for watching TV and movies.
Yep. Size and price is their main consideration. People like to equate the quality of a tv to its size.

I'm curious if LG can't fix the issue with 120hz refresh, 4:4:4, 4k, HDR, would they drop the prices?

I'm on the edge of buying this but for the money want something that does all of the above. Admittedly I dont have a GPU that will drive it.. yet. Will probably wait to see if AMD makes an impact to push nvidia to release a Ti or Super version of the 3080.

I'm curious if LG can't fix the issue with 120hz refresh, 4:4:4, 4k, HDR, would they drop the prices?

I'm on the edge of buying this but for the money want something that does all of the above. Admittedly I dont have a GPU that will drive it.. yet. Will probably wait to see if AMD makes an impact to push nvidia to release a Ti or Super version of the 3080.

no chance they do TI given how that would ruin their sales for the 3090

no chance they do TI given how that would ruin their sales for the 3090

There is enough room between the 699$ 3080 and the 1499$ 3090.. they didn't double the price tag for a merely 15% faster card for no reason.. with that in mind I can see enough room for a a 899$ 3080 Super and a 1.2k$ 3080Ti.. they'll probably be the same specs, just with more RAM which won't result in any immediate gains, at all.

I feel like they went balls out and rushed the Ampere cards specs in fear of RDNA2 given the high TDPs and the premium price tagged 3090 which apart from more RAM just doesn't make sense..

If AMD can counter with Big Navi either the 3090's price will drop hard or they'll slot in a 3080S/Ti - depending on the real world numbers from AMD's offering..

R2 gh dxee eddthe d2

Not happening. It something most consumers won't even notice or care about.

IMG_0308 (1).jpg

No more 48" for me boys, sold off the 48" last week and moving back to my LG38 Ultrawide as my daily driver then putting the 77" on the wall next to it. The TV it's self is amazing, but 48" is just TOO big for normal desktop use. (And yes I have a huge desk) Even pushing the screen back doesn't help nor make web use comfortable, plus 48" @4k PPI is just too low :(

If LG could make a 40" curved version of this same OLED with an 8k panel, it would be an "end game monitor" :)

View attachment 282406

No more 48" for me boys, sold off the 48" last week and moving back to my LG38 Ultrawide as my daily driver then putting the 77" on the wall next to it. The TV it's self is amazing, but 48" is just TOO big for normal desktop use. (And yes I have a huge desk) Even pushing the screen back doesn't help nor make web use comfortable, plus 48" @4k PPI is just too low :(

If LG could make a 40" curved version of this same OLED with an 8k panel, it would be an "end game monitor" :)

It's not even just the size. HDTV Test already mentioned that the subpixel layout results in some slightly weird text as well, plus there's always the burn in argument I guess. The X27 will remain my daily driver while my CX is the dedicated gaming display.

I'm surprised at how many people are using 48" as their daily driver. I'm assuming folks are putting their screen all the way back to avoid breaking necks and blurring eyes with it so close?

Weird question..but does the CX48 comes with an HDMI 2.1 cable in the box (even if a short one)? Just wondering if I'll need to research and buy an extra HDMI 2.1 cable when the time comes to buy the TV.

Alright, so I've got this thing hooked up. 3840x2160p@120Hz RGB. Text looks sharp on the desktop, no issue.

However, screen is flickering black (very brief) every 10 seconds or so. Crap HDMI cable?

EDIT: Nevermind, GSync. Chroma issue more evident now that I've had a minute to investigate.

Last edited:
I was all set to buy a 3090 today. Then, there was no stock. What a surprise.

Now, having read reviews, it seems like a minimal upgrade above a 3080. I'm worried about the 10GB on the 3080. So I don't really want either card - there are compromises either way (3080=memory, 3090=value for money). Neither cards make sense to me.

Given that I can't buy either currently, I'll wait until AMD show their hand later this year, then decide. Hopefully before Christmas though, as I want to upgrade for the sake of my LG 48CX.

Now, having read reviews, it seems like a minimal upgrade above a 3080. I'm worried about the 10GB on the 3080. So I don't really want either card - there are compromises either way (3080=memory, 3090=value for money). Neither cards make sense to me.

Given that I can't buy either currently, I'll wait until AMD show their hand later this year, then decide. Hopefully before Christmas though, as I want to upgrade for the sake of my LG 48CX.

Makes the most sense for me to buy the 3080 and flip it once the 20GB model comes if hitting the limits (which may be awhile...)

It hasn't been proven that games really need more than 10GB at 4k, at least not yet. Seeing how low the supply of 3090s is, I guess I'll try to snag a 3080 too. Probably have a better shot at obtaining one of those vs a 3090.

I'm not sure I want a 10GB 3080. Sure it'd be fine for a couple of years, but then we might start seeing unoptimised PS5 ports start to hit PC. Will 10GB suddenly be a problem?

I'm not sure I want a 10GB 3080. Sure it'd be fine for a couple of years, but then we might start seeing unoptimised PS5 ports start to hit PC. Will 10GB suddenly be a problem?

Eh if you plan to keep your GPU for a very long time then maybe. For me, by the time we actually need more than 10GB for games to be playable at 4k, I will have already bought a next gen nvidia Hopper GPU.

If you want buy a GPU and forget about upgrading for a few years, then the RTX 3090 is better. Otherwise you're much better off just selling the 3080 when something better comes along with more VRAM.

You can easily check the deals from last november on slickdeals.net or other sites.. The C9 went on sale from serveral places as well as the year prior's OLEDs. This has been true every year.. sometimes even the flagship 77" ones get a price cut. These are price reductions, not doorbuster rob the store for 1/2 off but you can save a couple to serveral hundred dollars depending on the model and in if you get in on the sale before it closes /stock liquidates. In november they aren't as new anymore. This is because like cars, there is always another new year's model coming the following year.

In addition to that, there will be more time for firmware and nvidia driver updates. This is most definitely in early adopter time window as far as hdmi 2.1gpu + hdmi 2.1 OLED go features wise.

I'm surprised at how many people are using 48" as their daily driver. I'm assuming folks are putting their screen all the way back to avoid breaking necks and blurring eyes with it so close?
That's the way to do it. Nicely done.

I'm using a separate "island" desk shaped like a xbox one controller that is on caster wheels and I keep my monitors and monitor arms on their own bench like desk. I just redid the whole setup so that my side monitors are now in portrait mode and are far enough away to fit a 48" or 55" OLED in november. So the side portrait monitors are where the speakers are in your picture more or less. I'm trying that out at 48" away to utilize the array better at it's new extents and get everything set up right ahead of time.

At this distance my 43" 4k monitors benefited from increasing the scaling to 125% but it should be fine for a 48" or 55" OLED at 100% 1:1. If I were to sit much farther I'd have to scale all of them, so yes distance is entirely the determining factor of how big the screen and the pixels appear in your personal FoV.

I thought this might be of interest... though it is specifically for movie watching not for pc use (especially a multi-monitor array).

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/
New cinemas built to THX specifications have a minimum viewing angle of 36 degrees from the last row of seats.

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees
where SMPTE, THX and 20th Century Fox recommendations converge. This matches quite closely with CEDIA’s 43 degree viewing angle recommendation for 2.4:1 ‘Cinemascope’ content as per CEB-23. For reference 43 degrees is 3x picture height using a 2.35:1 screen.

Depending on where you like to sit in a commercial theater you might have a viewing angle of anywhere from 36 to 60 degrees. Personal preference is therefore an important factor and should be a prime consideration when laying out your home theater.

382904_Erick2520Garci2520diagram.gif

Alright, so I've got this thing hooked up. 3840x2160p@120Hz RGB. Text looks sharp on the desktop, no issue.

However, screen is flickering black (very brief) every 10 seconds or so. Crap HDMI cable?

EDIT: Nevermind, GSync. Chroma issue more evident now that I've had a minute to investigate.

Hooked up my 3080 to the 48cx today and its a BIG improvement vs the 2080ti's 420.
I am using the 6's Club 3D 8k60 / 4k120 hdmi cable and things look freakin great.

Yes, that flickering black is caused by gsync malfunctioning....gotta turn that off for now.
Can't wait for new LG firmware and new Nvidia drivers.....but so far I am impressed and have not played one game yet lol.

LOL, look at this listing on eBay. A printed image! It actually got a bid. I was looking at 3090 listings on eBay for fun. The video card scalping is disgusting. I have a feeling I am going to be waiting a couple of months for the 3090. Not even sure I want it now, based on a review video I saw. 15% performance increase isn't worth twice the price, even though I desperately want the 24gb for triple CX48's.

EDIT: I just noticed it is for charity or something. Didn't see that before.

Anyway. The wait is on.

25092020000073.jpg

Last edited:
So guys, do I send my cx back or not? I've got a 3080 on the way but only a few more days to return the cx, not been any news from LG yet on the issues. Getting nervous.

So guys, do I send my cx back or not? I've got a 3080 on the way but only a few more days to return the cx, not been any news from LG yet on the issues. Getting nervous.

I personally have faith in it. But we do need some time. If you feel it is a gamble you annot afford...send it back. You can always dive back in...

Yeah man it's not like you can't get one again. If you need the peace of mind, send it back.

I personally have faith in it. But we do need some time. If you feel it is a gamble you annot afford...send it back. You can always dive back in...
I can afford it but would still sting if I had the opportunity to return it but didn't and LG wind up not fixing it....argh but it looks great even now belt the 3080. My last TV was like 6 years old

I can afford it but would still sting if I had the opportunity to return it but didn't and LG wind up not fixing it....argh but it looks great even now belt the 3080. My last TV was like 6 years old

LG has already said they are going to fix it. It's just that it could take a while.

Ok so I got a 3080 and been testing with my CX 48. So far, it hasn't helped at all upgrading from a 2080 Ti:

• When switching resolutions and settings, the HDMI 1 input keeps resetting from PC back to default HDMI. Super annoying
  • I STILL can't create a custom resolution (3840x1600) above 60hz - Yes I have tried two HDMI 2.1 cables
  • GSync is completely inconsistent or doesn't work correctly at any resolution or frequency (I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and LG firmware) - Yes, I know a "fix" is incoming but we don't have exact details or date
  • I have been testing a $249 40" Vizio V Series next to the CX 48 and even though the motion isn't as smooth and blacks aren't as deep, it's a steal for a fraction of the price.
In the end, there are just too many issues to stick with this display for a dedicated PC gaming display. Now, if LG or some other companies would be off their butts and make a 38" Ultawide OLED, it would be a dream. Yet with latest high end monitor prices at over $2000, I am more skeptical than ever...

Ok so I got a 3080 and been testing with my CX 48. So far, it hasn't helped at all upgrading from a 2080 Ti:

• When switching resolutions and settings, the HDMI 1 input keeps resetting from PC back to default HDMI. Super annoying
  • I STILL can't create a custom resolution (3840x1600) above 60hz - Yes I have tried two HDMI 2.1 cables
  • GSync is completely inconsistent or doesn't work correctly at any resolution or frequency (I have the latest NVIDIA drivers and LG firmware) - Yes, I know a "fix" is incoming but we don't have exact details or date
  • I have been testing a $249 40" Vizio V Series next to the CX 48 and even though the motion isn't as smooth and blacks aren't as deep, it's a steal for a fraction of the price.
In the end, there are just too many issues to stick with this display for a dedicated PC gaming display. Now, if LG or some other companies would be off their butts and make a 38" Ultawide OLED, it would be a dream. Yet with latest high end monitor prices at over $2000, I am more skeptical than ever...

1) Don't switch resolutions or settings. WTF are you doing with anything other than 4k120 10bit Full RGB.

2) Don't create custom resolutions, see above!
3) TUrn Gsync off and wait
4) Get that Vizio crap outta here!

I use my 48cx for work productivity and the 3080 desktop text / color image clarity is SO MUCH better vs the 2080ti. This 48cx may not be presenting the full 10bit RGB 4k120 source, but it is vastly superior to the shittastic limited chroma 420 the 2080ti was putting out.

1) Don't switch resolutions or settings. WTF are you doing with anything other than 4k120 10bit Full RGB.

2) Don't create custom resolutions, see above!
3) TUrn Gsync off and wait
4) Get that Vizio crap outta here!

I use my 48cx for work productivity and the 3080 is SO MUCH better for work productivity vs
the 2080ti. This 48cx may not be presenting the full 10bit RGB 4k120 source, but it is vastly superior to the shittastic 420 the 2080ti was putting out.

LOL! Great responses. Full 3840x2160 is WAY too big of space for a 48" on my desk. Also, I prefer ultrawides 100%. I just wanted the deep blacks and pop of OLED. Lastly, sometimes the HDMI setting just resets even if I just turn off the TV and back on. If there was a 38" OLED Ultrawide monitor, I'd forget this troubleshooting mess and pull the trigger right now.

Back