• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

it's really just a matter of being able to sit at the right distance, right?

I thought this might be of interest... though it is specifically for movie watching not for pc use (especially a multi-monitor array).

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/
New cinemas built to THX specifications have a minimum viewing angle of 36 degrees from the last row of seats.

The viewing angle ‘sweet spot’ seems to be around 45-50 degrees
where SMPTE, THX and 20th Century Fox recommendations converge. This matches quite closely with CEDIA’s 43 degree viewing angle recommendation for 2.4:1 ‘Cinemascope’ content as per CEB-23. For reference 43 degrees is 3x picture height using a 2.35:1 screen.

Depending on where you like to sit in a commercial theater you might have a viewing angle of anywhere from 36 to 60 degrees. Personal preference is therefore an important factor and should be a prime consideration when laying out your home theater.

Erick%2520Garci%2520diagram.gif
 
Last edited:
Thought you guys might like to see my cockpit with three of these guys running! Big upgrade over 40" 4k LCDs...currently running in 3 x 1440p @ 120hz in HDR.

PQ is bad here in the dark. But I am sooo ready for some racing!

Wow! That looks amazing. You will be at 75% of 8K resolution there once you switch to native 4k x 3, so DLSS support should be really welcome.
 
Wow! That looks amazing. You will be at 75% of 8K resolution there once you switch to native 4k x 3, so DLSS support should be really welcome.

Thanks! Working out the kinks! Thanks for doing that calculation for me. DLSS is something I have never had. Only learned about it recently. It will totally help me. I am currently getting around 75-80 fps on my Pascal TITAN XP's. I can't run SLI because the Nvidia Control Panel only lets me select all 4k screens for SLI, and won't let me do a custom resolution for this triple 1440p. Argh. So SLI is barely helping me, as I have to run in windowed mode here.

I am so done with SLI. Really looking forward to a 3090!
 
It's too bad the tech isn't set up seamlessly and automagically by nvidia (and not put on game devs) in a method that would allow you to use one gpu per screen (x3 gpus).. same for VR .. one gpu per eye. but it is what it is.
 
Thought you guys might like to see my cockpit with three of these guys running! Big upgrade over 40" 4k LCDs...currently running in 3 x 1440p @ 120hz in HDR.

PQ is bad here in the dark. But I am sooo ready for some racing!

View attachment 281286
do you play stuff like iracing as well? seems insane to spend that sort of money to play codemasters F1
 
It's too bad the tech isn't set up seamlessly and automagically by nvidia (and not put on game devs) in a method that would allow you to use one gpu per screen (x3 gpus).. same for VR .. one gpu per eye. but it is what it is.

I believe Linus has already tried something like this using Quadros where 1 GPU was powering 3 monitors and multiple Quadros were powering an array of monitors being combined into a single large display, but then ran into a bunch of issues with getting the picture properly synced up across all displays. I would assume the same thing would happen if you tried to use 1 GPU to power 1 VR display, you'd just get syncing problems between the 2 displays.
 
While I agree that a smaller (than 48") display would be better, it's really just a matter of being able to sit at the right distance, right?

I've posted my setup before, but sitting at ~48 inches away, wall-mounting it, and having it just a little lower than desk height is pretty much ideal (for me).

View attachment 281246

That's a really nice setup! I just wish I had the actual space in my apartment to have a deep desk (let alone wide!) and sit 4 ft away from the wall. I'm pushing my luck by ordering a 42x24" Jarvis standing desk as it is! As several others have said, 40" is just about ideal for me.
 
do you play stuff like iracing as well? seems insane to spend that sort of money to play codemasters F1

I used to WORK for iRacing. EA before that too. Been out for a while though. Done working! Hah. So yeah. I drive a lot of sims. But I am a big F1 fan, so...limited options.

This IS getting slightly better. But geez. It could be brilliant with a PC friendly UI.

I don't have a ton of seat time in F1 2020 yet. At all. But it is the best yet. Still too vague. With pretty meh Force Feedback. But man. If they gave us even 25% more sim I would be a ton happier...

And yes, I am dropping a massive amount on these screens and a new 3090 card (need the VRAM). And the new F1 wheel I should get in a couple weeks is going to be utterly amazing. The best there is.

But back on topic...I hope these monitors end up giving us what was promised with 4k 120hz HDR.

I had broken one of my 40" LCD's with the end of my bloody vaccuum, so that is why I upgraded early. I thought the CX48 was the ticket. And OLED DOES look amazing. Just need the rez, hz and colour in 4k now.

PS. If anyone is curious about the F1 wheel I am getting. Here is a YouTube link...

 
Last edited:
I used to WORK for iRacing. EA before that too. Been out for a while though. Done working! Hah. So yeah. I drive a lot of sims. But I am a big F1 fan, so...limited options.

This IS getting slightly better. But geez. It could be brilliant with a PC friendly UI.

I don't have a ton of seat time in F1 2020 yet. At all. But it is the best yet. Still too vague. With pretty meh Force Feedback. But man. If they gave us even 25% more sim I would be a ton happier...

And yes, I am dropping a massive amount on these screens and a new 3090 card (need the VRAM). And the new F1 wheel I should get in a couple weeks is going to be utterly amazing. The best there is.

But back on topic...I hope these monitors end up giving us what was promised with 4k 120hz HDR.

I had broken one of my 40" LCD's with the end of my bloody vaccuum, so that is why I upgraded early. I thought the CX48 was the ticket. And OLED DOES look amazing. Just need the rez, hz and colour in 4k now.

PS. If anyone is curious about the F1 wheel I am getting. Here is a YouTube link...



I gotta ask, do/did you race professionally? That is a hell of a setup for just a hobby, heh.
 
I used to WORK for iRacing. EA before that too. Been out for a while though. Done working! Hah. So yeah. I drive a lot of sims. But I am a big F1 fan, so...limited options.

This IS getting slightly better. But geez. It could be brilliant with a PC friendly UI.

I don't have a ton of seat time in F1 2020 yet. At all. But it is the best yet. Still too vague. With pretty meh Force Feedback. But man. If they gave us even 25% more sim I would be a ton happier...

And yes, I am dropping a massive amount on these screens and a new 3090 card (need the VRAM). And the new F1 wheel I should get in a couple weeks is going to be utterly amazing. The best there is.

But back on topic...I hope these monitors end up giving us what was promised with 4k 120hz HDR.

I had broken one of my 40" LCD's with the end of my bloody vaccuum, so that is why I upgraded early. I thought the CX48 was the ticket. And OLED DOES look amazing. Just need the rez, hz and colour in 4k now.

PS. If anyone is curious about the F1 wheel I am getting. Here is a YouTube link...



So between the 3 48CXs, the F1 wheel and the 3090 it appears as though you're going to have around $10K in that setup (if not more) after tax...not including the rest of your PC, audio, etc. That is truly [H]ardcore, man. I hope that eventually, you can get the full enjoyment out of that setup. These monitors are amazing even with the current issues, to me anyway. Pure eye candy. If they can fix the bugs so that all features are working as intended it'll be like this:

200w.gif


At least we know that LG is aware, and now that HDMI 2.1 GPUs are "available" (lol) hopefully Nvidia can provide LG with one or at least work with them to iron out the kinks. All of this should work if LG will commit to fixing the firmware, and especially now that HDMI 2.1 GPUs are out, people will be banging the drums loudly.
 
You fucking nerd, i love it :) So jelly of that room.

Haha. I accept your term. This is my basement home theater. I am so lucky. I have a dozen Marvel statues in it. And 8 illuminated posters. Thanks, bro!! So sorry to be off topic here.
 
I gotta ask, do/did you race professionally? That is a hell of a setup for just a hobby, heh.

I did not. Wish I did. Was into F1 since my compatriot Jacques Villeneuve was in Indy and moved to F1. Played F1 games hard and then got into editing them with my art and sound work, got known online, and then got my foot in the door in the industry.

I raced Dale E. and many more pros virtually, though. He was at the Boston office a fair bit (I was remote). I was a freaking pylon next to those guys.

Not gonna lie...my hands always sweat more with all those guys in there. It was amazing how real talent translated to the actual iRacing sim. I gave a wide berth to be sure. Could not compete...
 
So between the 3 48CXs, the F1 wheel and the 3090 it appears as though you're going to have around $10K in that setup (if not more) after tax...not including the rest of your PC, audio, etc. That is truly [H]ardcore, man. I hope that eventually, you can get the full enjoyment out of that setup. These monitors are amazing even with the current issues, to me anyway. Pure eye candy. If they can fix the bugs so that all features are working as intended it'll be like this:

View attachment 281394

At least we know that LG is aware, and now that HDMI 2.1 GPUs are "available" (lol) hopefully Nvidia can provide LG with one or at least work with them to iron out the kinks. All of this should work if LG will commit to fixing the firmware, and especially now that HDMI 2.1 GPUs are out, people will be banging the drums loudly.

Thank you so much, my man. It is so crazy, eh? Gonna be close to 11k just on screens, F1 Wheel, and 3090. I know. My wife freaking hates me.

Then I have my top end PC which I upgraded everything else on to the top end 5 months ago.

The rest was over many years. I had the Sparco race seat since I was at EA. The Obutto Revolution cockpit for a good 8 years, plus the solo monitor stands. I only butt kick with one kicker on the seat...but quite convincing for one unit on SimVibe (Accuforce FFB wheel base through Sim Commander). Wish I had 5 shakers on a separate amp (4 tires plus seat) .

This whole theater is an embarrassment and waste of money. But I love it. Thank you, bros.

Edit: Sorry for sucking up space. Let's get back to it!
 
Last edited:
I believe Linus has already tried something like this using Quadros where 1 GPU was powering 3 monitors and multiple Quadros were powering an array of monitors being combined into a single large display, but then ran into a bunch of issues with getting the picture properly synced up across all displays. I would assume the same thing would happen if you tried to use 1 GPU to power 1 VR display, you'd just get syncing problems between the 2 displays.

Interesting. It would probably have to be something nvidia heavily invested in like g-sync in order to work right as opposed to home brewed stuff. This is fanciful wishbook stuff nothing that is happening.

Incidentally, I think syncing was also a problem with using dual-layer LCD tech initially but some of the reference monitors from eizo, sony, and panasonic use them now so that syncing hurdle with that technology seems to have been surpassed (by investing in the R&D).
 
Last edited:
Well, after literally buying, trying and returning WAY too many 38" and ultrawides (more than I care to admit), I finally found two TVs to try: A 40" Vizio V-Series ($249) and an open box CX 48 ($1350) -- While I won't bore you with all the details of my testing, I will say, the 40" Vizio running at 3840x1600 is one of the best values in displays out there. No it doesn't have GSYNC, it's only 60hz and doesn't have the deepest blacks of OLED, it's is a stunning value. Now, I keep switching back and forth to decide if the $1000 premium is worth it for the CX...

A few items of note:

  • Whenever I enabled a custom resolution outside of 4K (like 3840x1600), both displays will only work in RGB mode with my 2080 ti. It still looks good on the chroma text tests but I have to tweak the settings differently in 4k vs custom, especially on the video. The gamma is WAY different.

  • Overall I love the CX 48 but it's not a completely blowout with this cheap Vizio sitting here. Even though I have enough room on my desk, it's still too big. Why is no one making OLED monitors at 38" ultrawide or 40" ?!

  • Since it's 2020 and apparently still to hard to meet demand of graphics cards, I can't find a 3080 to try HDMI 2.1 on either of these displays. No sure if the color, VRR or any other features will change as they are both HDMI 2.1 capable.

  • Lastly, it's absolutely maddening to have people recommend an Acer X35 or X38 which are $1800+ and still have that lame old 1000:1 contrast ratio which is completely inexcusable at this point. IPS monitors are fine but not for that price and not for my super dark office where I've had nothing but plasma and VA panels...
 
Last edited:
Well, after literally buying, trying and returning WAY too many 38" and ultrawides (more than I care to admit), I finally found two TVs to try: A 40" Vizio V-Series ($249) and an open box CX 48 ($1350) -- While I won't bore you with all the details of my testing, I will say, the 40" Vizio running at 3840x1600 is one of the best values in displays out there. No it doesn't have GSYNC, it's only 60hz and doesn't have the deepest blacks of OLED, it's is a stunning value. Now, I keep switching back and forth to decide if the $1000 premium is worth it for the CX...

A few items of note:

  • Whenever I enabled a custom resolution outside of 4K (like 3840x1600), both displays will only work in RGB mode with my 2080 ti. It still looks good on the chroma text tests but I have to tweak the settings differently in 4k vs custom, especially on the video. The gamma is WAY different.

  • Overall I love the CX 38 but it's not a completely blowout with this cheap Vizio sitting here. Even though I have enough room on my desk, it's still too big. Why is no one making OLED monitors at 38" ultrawide or 40" ?!

  • Since it's 2020 and apparently still to hard to meet demand of graphics cards, I can't find a 3080 to try HDMI 2.1 on either of these displays. No sure if the color, VRR or any other features will change as they are both HDMI 2.1 capable.

  • Lastly, it's absolutely maddening to have people recommend an Acer X35 or X38 which are $1800+ and still have that lame old 1000:1 contrast ratio which is completely inexcusable at this point. IPS monitors are fine but not for that price and not for my super dark office where I've had nothing but plasma and VA panels...

1000:1 contrast is "fine" to some people just like how 30fps is also fine to some people I guess. Sure you could technically play at 30fps, it's certainly doable, but I sure as hell don't want to. You could definitely game with 1000:1 contrast, but again I sure as hell don't want to. The CX has been an absolute game changer for me even with it's limitations on an 2080 Ti. Nvidia really needs to address the GSYNC issues on the RTX 30 series or I will have no choice but to go back to my Acer X27 as gaming without gsync is a no go for me. I guess the CX could just serve as my BFI gaming display in the meantime.
 
Agreed 110% -- The fact that 1000:1 contrast is still the defacto standard is both maddening and mind boggling. This $250 Vizio, even though imperfect, was measured at like 6000:1

Without reading this entire thread (as I just found it), I am having a rough time finding the exact right settings for my CX 48. It seems like it is a bit washed out in games. I lowered the brightness and gamma but still doesn't seem as "deep" as I would thought for an OLED...
 
digitalforce - Do you have HDR on? In my limited experience it washes out the image a little in F1 2020 with the lighting and post processing on high/ultra. And I have seen screenshots of other games that do the same (like with atmospheric volumetric fog in HDR). Yet the contrast and colour is there for me in out-of-your-face light.

Any of that applicable to you? I have only run F1 2020 so far with my new rig. Maybe others can chime in...
 
IMO if you can deal with the lower resolution the X35 is a way better gaming display. More impactful HDR, higher refresh rate and no need for a unicorn GPU to run it north of 120hz.

When I goofed around with one, it was noticeably better in terms of PQ compared to my X27 but I just couldn't handle 1440p after strictly using 4K since 2015.
 
IMO if you can deal with the lower resolution the X35 is a way better gaming display. More impactful HDR, higher refresh rate and no need for a unicorn GPU to run it north of 120hz.

When I goofed around with one, it was noticeably better in terms of PQ compared to my X27 but I just couldn't handle 1440p after strictly using 4K since 2015.
They say it has ghosting?
 
IMO if you can deal with the lower resolution the X35 is a way better gaming display. More impactful HDR, higher refresh rate and no need for a unicorn GPU to run it north of 120hz.

When I goofed around with one, it was noticeably better in terms of PQ compared to my X27 but I just couldn't handle 1440p after strictly using 4K since 2015.

How about blacks and picture quality? For me, contrast/black levels > refresh rates. Still, $1700+ for a 3440x1440 display? I don't want to feed the pig :)
 
digitalforce - Do you have HDR on? In my limited experience it washes out the image a little in F1 2020 with the lighting and post processing on high/ultra. And I have seen screenshots of other games that do the same (like with atmospheric volumetric fog in HDR). Yet the contrast and colour is there for me in out-of-your-face light.

Any of that applicable to you? I have only run F1 2020 so far with my new rig. Maybe others can chime in...

No sir, I don't have HDR on as I've had nothing but problems with it in PC Games.

Also, is anyone else running 3840x1600 on their CX 48? Full 4K is way too much for the distance I am running. I can run @ 60hz no issues whatsoever but can't create anything custom over 60hz. Shouldn't we be able to at least hit 75hz at that res or have to wait to HDMI 2.1?
 
Last edited:
No sir, I don't have HDR on as I've had nothing but problems with it in PC Games.

Also, is anyone else running 3840x1600 on their CX 48? Full 4K is way too much for the distance I am running. I can run @ 60hz no issues whatsoever but can't create anything custom over 60hz. Shouldn't we be able to at least hit 75hz at that res or have to wait to HDMI 2.1?

3840x1600 is an ultrawide resolution -- on a 16:9 TV, I would think running this resolution either gives you a stretched image or black bars at the top/bottom; if the latter, you'd get similarly "sized" UI elements as full 4K. Did you mean you're using a different resolution?

HDMI 2.0 can only go up to 4K @ 68hz, but I doubt 68hz is that much better than 60hz even if you can get it working.
 
No sir, I don't have HDR on as I've had nothing but problems with it in PC Games.

Also, is anyone else running 3840x1600 on their CX 48? Full 4K is way too much for the distance I am running. I can run @ 60hz no issues whatsoever but can't create anything custom over 60hz. Shouldn't we be able to at least hit 75hz at that res or have to wait to HDMI 2.1?
The CX looks best with HDR turned on. You are right that there are a lot of problems with HDR and PC games, but the issues can be often fixed with research and proper calibration. When it is working properly, it definitely presents what I'd describe to be the most colorful, lively image that people look for when showing off their TV's.

I also recommend setting the White Balance Color Temperature in the picture settings to 'Warm 2'. The other settings are too cold IMO, and often look washed out depending on what's onscreen.
 
Agreed 110% -- The fact that 1000:1 contrast is still the defacto standard is both maddening and mind boggling. This $250 Vizio, even though imperfect, was measured at like 6000:1

I'm running a 43" samsung NU6900 4k 60Hz VA on each side of my gaming monitor similarly. They were each under $300 before tax and have ~ 6100:1 contrast ratio with accompanying deeper black depths. Currently my gaming monitor in the middle is a 32" 1440p LG VA g-sync which is lucky to get toward 3000:1. I probably have the LG a little worse contrast on the desktop to bring the whites up but I use nvidia freestyle in some games to optimize their look outside of that.

I agree that some of the ~ $300 (and less) VA TVs are a great value and look very good overall PQ wise.. but I wouldn't game on them at 60hz and with VRR personally.

I'm still hoping the smoke clears and some wrinkles get ironed out by november for OLED sales. I'm assuming the VRR issue will get fixed but I'm not sure about the 422 downscaling of the chroma resolution in the CX. It's not certain that a C9 or E9 will be available by then either options wise considering everything going on, or if they will be overpriced due to bottom of the barrel stock like what happens with some hardware. I'm tempted to just buy a 55" C9 now but I'd kick myself if 422 was a firmware issue that got fixed by the end of the year when the 48 CX's 48" size is more manageable.
 
So how did these TVs ever get certified by Nvidia for gsync. Obviously it was never tested in anyway.
 
It worked with HDMI 2.0 at 120hz and 4:2:0 AFAIK (with some issues such as raised blacks but yeah). There were no HDMI 2.1 output devices available until now.
 
Am I the only one wanting to run 3840x1600 on the CX 48 for PC games? I know we don't have an option for consoles but I was hoping for more options on that resolution. Can't go above 60hz at 3840x1600 :(
 
So how did these TVs ever get certified by Nvidia for gsync. Obviously it was never tested in anyway.

Gsync works perfect. But i have not installed the latest driver. I still think it's Nvidias fault (gsync issues). Nevertheless both need to get in touch to address all the problems.
 
Last edited:
As much as I want a 3090 and a 48CX I'm glad I have been forced to hold off buying. Things should be fine by the time I do get to spend money.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
No sir, I don't have HDR on as I've had nothing but problems with it in PC Games.

Also, is anyone else running 3840x1600 on their CX 48? Full 4K is way too much for the distance I am running. I can run @ 60hz no issues whatsoever but can't create anything custom over 60hz. Shouldn't we be able to at least hit 75hz at that res or have to wait to HDMI 2.1?

You are limited to 60 Hz for custom resolutions on the CX 48. 120 Hz works fine with HDMI 2.1. I use 3840x1600 on some games like say Red Dead Redemption 2 that already barely runs at 60 fps on my 2080 Ti. With the custom resolution no problem plus you get the wider field of view. I move my screen a bit forward on the monitor arm to add immersion.
 
At work so haven't watched the video yet. Did LG cop to the 422 downsampling issue as well or just the gsync issue? Any mention of RGB, chroma, color degradation etc?
 
At work so haven't watched the video yet. Did LG cop to the 422 downsampling issue as well or just the gsync issue? Any mention of RGB, chroma, color degradation etc?

No mention of downsampling issue. Although....Vincent says the firmware update will properly unlock 4k120Hz gsync with 444 chroma...
 
Back
Top