• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Cool thanks for the info. Hopeful for my nov purchase now.
 
It worked with HDMI 2.0 at 120hz and 4:2:0 AFAIK (with some issues such as raised blacks but yeah). There were no HDMI 2.1 output devices available until now.

I'm sure test output devices exist for certification purposes, but yeah, this is the first time a "real" signal source has existed, so there's no shock there's some initial problems.
 
I'm sure test output devices exist for certification purposes, but yeah, this is the first time a "real" signal source has existed, so there's no shock there's some initial problems.
I would of expected that Nvidia and LG would have the equipment to properly test it.
 
At least it's getting fixed fast. Normally when it comes to LG firmware fixes they tend to take forever.
 
New poster here guys, this is a concerning comment on the latest HDTVTest video re the LG issues, no HDR at 4k 120hz with gsync as it's not possible, i've sent it to Jonh at Forbes and he's going to speak to his LG contact about it:

Tg47cFmsE83tTaTHzOx0gmiHMgyvpuJWqVfomx8MntI.jpg
 
New poster here guys, this is a concerning comment on the latest HDTVTest video re the LG issues, no HDR at 4k 120hz with gsync as it's not possible, i've sent it to Jonh at Forbes and he's going to speak to his LG contact about it:

View attachment 281742
This been already discussed in the CX48 thread. They know of the issue and looking into releasing a firmware update in the following weeks.
 
This been already discussed in the CX48 thread. They know of the issue and looking into releasing a firmware update in the following weeks.

This is from after that issue was raised and LG confirmed it. Even the Forbes guy is now looking into it and he broke the news about the firmware update.
 
Wait I'm a little confused now. So the chroma subsampling to 422 only happens IF you turn HDR ON at 4k120Hz 444? Otherwise it's REAL 4k120hz 444 without HDR OFF? Or does LG tech support have no idea what they're talking about?
 
Wait I'm a little confused now. So the chroma subsampling to 422 only happens IF you turn HDR ON at 4k120Hz 444? Otherwise it's REAL 4k120hz 444 without HDR OFF? Or does LG tech support have no idea what they're talking about?

LG Tech support does not know what they are talking about. It's 4:2:2 in 4K 120 Hz SDR and something not-quite-4:4:4 in 4K 120 Hz HDR from what I can see between my CX and C9.
 
Wait I'm a little confused now. So the chroma subsampling to 422 only happens IF you turn HDR ON at 4k120Hz 444? Otherwise it's REAL 4k120hz 444 without HDR OFF? Or does LG tech support have no idea what they're talking about?

The predicate of how this this new issue is being presented is that its a combination of Gsync & 4k 120hz 4:4:4 / HDR together being the problem but re-reading the statement below from the CSR that doesn't seem to be the case at least as far as what I can tell by just the snippet of info given.

Notice the first two sentences - there is no mention of Gsync and the information given clearly goes against what the product specs say. The third sentence states this is "also the same" with Gsync. So reading the entire statement both are true independently so I am not understanding how these two problems are connected.

"The highest refresh rate supported by the OLED CX using 4K/4:4:4/HDR is 60Hz. The only way to play content in 4K at 120Hz with full RGB Chroma 4:4:4 is to turn HDR content ... This also goes for the same with G-Sync, unfortunately. It will not run with HDR on."

1600813907755.png
 
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR g-sync = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR g-sync = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz HDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz g-sync = okay

is what I get from the above.
 
Last edited:
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz g-sync = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR g-sync = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz HDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz g-sync = okay

is what I get from the above.


I think you meant this? .....

4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR g-sync = doesn't work
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR = doesn't work

4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR g-sync = okay
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR = okay


4:4:4 4K 60hz HDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz g-sync = okay

-----------------------------------------

What he (the LG REP) seemed to say to me, more concisely, is that:

-- in order to get RGB 4k 120hz you have to turn HDR off
-- In order to get 120hz 4k G-sync you have to turn HDR off

He never said anything about 120hz RGB + G-sync being possible in SDR or not. In fact, he seemed to make it a separate case which makes me think he considered "120hz 4k G-sync + HDR" a separate scenario and didn't even consider mentioning "120hz 4k RGB + gsync + HDR" or "120hz 4k RGB + g-sync + HDR OFF".

That is, he made a separate case for each that require HDR to be off:
--one case being 120hz 4k + RGB (which is 444)
and
--the other case for 120hz 4k + G-sync



And that is all on the CX? It will be very interesting to see what this firmware fixes and what , if anything, is a hardware limitation. Also what hardware limitations are different between the C9/E9 and CX.
 
Last edited:
Since I probably won’t get a 3080 for a couple of months, what’s the best you can do with HDMI 2.0b ? RGB 4K 8bit @60 hz & 4K 4:2:2 @120hz and you need to go down to 1440p if you want HDR ?

What’s the best mode for just desktop/browsing ?
 
Since I probably won’t get a 3080 for a couple of months, what’s the best you can do with HDMI 2.0b ? RGB 4K 8bit @60 hz & 4K 4:2:2 @120hz and you need to go down to 1440p if you want HDR ?

What’s the best mode for just desktop/browsing ?

4k 120hz 8bit 4:2:0 SDR, 4k 60hz 8bit RGB HDR, 4k 60hz 10bit 4:2:2 HDR, 1440p 120hz 8bit RGB HDR are the HDMI 2.0 options. Your call on which of those sounds best to you.

Edit: While testing this I noticed that 10bit is indeed an option on HDMI outputs in the Ampere release non-studio drivers (even on Turing cards, I have a 2080Ti). Nvidia kept their word, no one needs to "OMG ONLY 40GBPS!!!!!" ever again.
 
Last edited:
In Far Cry 5 I can't see any difference between 10 bit and 8 bit HDR. 10 bit 422 runs noticeably smoother than 8 bit 444 for some reason.
 
In Far Cry 5 I can't see any difference between 10 bit and 8 bit HDR. 10 bit 422 runs noticeably smoother than 8 bit 444 for some reason.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Windows HDR does dithering automatically when at 8bit color, that's probably why it's so hard to tell any difference.
 
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Windows HDR does dithering automatically when at 8bit color, that's probably why it's so hard to tell any difference.
Ah, then 8bit 444 is less smooth due to windows doing some additional processing on software level.
 
Another response from UK customer care this time, just posted to reddit by someone, this isn't looking good
wj4l36no8vo51.jpeg
 
Was going to pick one up but I'll wait until they iron all the issues out. If not this years model maybe next years.
 
I would of expected that Nvidia and LG would have the equipment to properly test it.

VRR is difficult to test without real devices. I'm sure they tested with a 4k120 device that was output at a steady rate, but actual testing of VRR really needs variable rate output, which essentially required a GPU.
 
I suppose no one is running three of these like me for multi monitor, eh? When I wake from PC deep sleep, my screens have either no signal or only one shows the desktop, and I have to restart.

Hope LG finds and monitors this thread...
 
I suppose no one is running three of these like me for multi monitor, eh? When I wake from PC deep sleep, my screens have either no signal or only one shows the desktop, and I have to restart.

Hope LG finds and monitors this thread...

Your set up looks sick mate, was looking at it before I signed up here. Do you find yourself updating hardware regularly?
 
I suppose no one is running three of these like me for multi monitor, eh? When I wake from PC deep sleep, my screens have either no signal or only one shows the desktop, and I have to restart.

Hope LG finds and monitors this thread...

I replied several replies ago about my two 4k 60hz samsung VA's running off of displayport to hdmi adapters. I think that it might be a hdmi handshaking issue. My third monitor is a 1440p VA with 144hz g-sync running directly off displayport to displayport and it never has any issues. However one or the other of the 4k ones(never both) occasionally blinks a few times when waking up from standby. Rarely, one or the other will have no signal at all and I'll have to unplug their hdmi cable from the dp adapter and snap it back in. That doesn't happen that often though. Once they are all initialized properly, they have zero problems.

I just swapped one of my two 4k monitors to the hdmi out port on my gpu so that now only one display is on an adapter. I'll report back eventually on how that one works on wakeup over time. Does your monitor that is hdmi to hdmi exhibit the same behavior or is is only the displayport to hdmi adapter ones?
 
Your set up looks sick mate, was looking at it before I signed up here. Do you find yourself updating hardware regularly?
Thanks! I went 3 years with MB CPU and RAM before upgrading all this past spring. I am running on two 4 year old Pascal Titans. They have always juuuust been enough or close for triple 4k. But now I really need the new 3090. That performance and 24 gb of VRAM is crucial for me.
 
The guy of LG support doesn't know about he is talking...
I have a 2080ti and LG 55CX and at 120 hertz and gsync [on] with 4.2.2 it works... No tearing at all but no HDR
I am very confused actually because i pre order a 3080 and if it is true that we can't do full chroma with Gsync at 4k 120 it will be very disapointing....
I also notice that on ubisoft game the HDR is not the same like in forza game.
 
elvn - Once again you always have great feedback and help a ton. Thanks for your input and looking forward to hearing more.
 
omer care this time, just posted to reddit by someone, this isn't looking good

To be fair, most customer care guys wouldn't know a thing about HDMI specs and whatnot. It would be odd that 4k120 HDR would be explicitly not supported if there's enough bandwidth to support it (there is). And I'm pretty sure some people here who have the DP->HDMI adaptor had it working.

At this point, I honestly might just wait for the C11 series to come out, since they'll likely be out by the time most of the issues get ironed out.
 
Another response from UK customer care this time, just posted to reddit by someone, this isn't looking goodView attachment 281921

Just to pile on, this is obviously false with any research at all... Those of us that actually have the TV (and a Turing card) have been using 120hz VRR with it since the day we bought it. There's no need for all the silly doom and gloom. No adapter is needed (in fact VRR DOES NOT work with the adapter). 4k 120hz 4:2:0 VRR works out of the box with an HDMI 2.0 cable.
 
Yea I think the doom and gloom about 4:4:4 120Hz and G-Sync is a little unnecessary. New technology, some bugs are to be expected - LG said they're working on it at least. There's virtually no good reason why the issues can't be fixed and LG is going to lose out bigly if they don't fix it ASAP.
 
Yea I think the doom and gloom about 4:4:4 120Hz and G-Sync is a little unnecessary. New technology, some bugs are to be expected - LG said they're working on it at least. There's virtually no good reason why the issues can't be fixed and LG is going to lose out bigly if they don't fix it ASAP.

Some people will take any excuse to crap on this display lol.
 
Yea even with those issues I'd still stick with this display any day.

For single player stuff I am fine with 60hz g-sync on many games for example (and that's already working with HDR and RGB). For competitive multiplayer stuff, yeah I'll absolutely want 120hz+ but I usually reduce some settings so VRR isn't even that critical if I'm playing with 200fps or whatever (I do prefer having VRR 100% of the time but we live in a world of compromises for now).
 
Just to recap here from my own testing with the Club3D adapter and CX 48:
  • 4K 120 Hz SDR 8 and 10 bit works but downsampled to 4:2:2.
  • 4K 120 HDR 8 and 10-bit works but there is something slightly off about color compared to 4K 60 Hz HDR but not clear 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.
  • 1080p 120 Hz SDR and HDR behave exactly like 4K 120 Hz even with a HDMI 2.0 source.
  • 1440p 120 Hz SDR and HDR have zero issues on adapter or HDMI 2.0.
  • 4K 120 Hz G-Sync/VRR works at 8-bit 4:2:0 SDR over HDMI 2.0.
  • 4K 120 Hz G-Sync/VRR 4:4:4 SDR/HDR is still a mystery as bug fixes are needed.
To me the LG reps quoted in those screencaps just don’t know what they are talking about or refer specifically to VRR with 4K 120 Hz.

Let’s wait a few weeks for fixes before making judgement. The TV clearly accepts 4K 120 Hz RGB 10-bit signal without issue (until processing it internally) and reports that it is actually doing so. 12-bit signal does not work as expected.
 
elvn - Once again you always have great feedback and help a ton. Thanks for your input and looking forward to hearing more.
Does your monitor that is hdmi to hdmi exhibit the same behavior or is is only the displayport to hdmi adapter ones?

No problem.
Let me know if all three of your monitors have lost signal or hdmi handshaking issues if you can. I'm curious if it is the displayport adapters having failed hdmi handshaking and if your TV that is on hdmi 2.1 out to hdmi 2.1 in without using any adapter is unaffected.

Did you say sometimes all three of your screens have no signal, including the hdmi to hdmi one?

When you said sometimes only one shows the desktop, is that "one" the tv that is connected hdmi to hdmi without any adapter?

--------------------------------

Screens not coming on from standby has been an issue for some hardware for years, and it can happen on displayport screens as well as hdmi ones.

Though not optimal, you could set up a deep black or the blank option screen screen saver instead of putting the TVs into standby. It could affect the lifespan (and energy consumption), and of course hours on/used is even more important with OLEDs - but maybe all black, especially on an OLED where it wouldn't have a LCD backlight still on, would be a work-able solution. I'm even considering it on my VA LCDs though it could affect the backlight's lifespan a bit.
 
Back
Top