LG 48CX

No sir, I don't have HDR on as I've had nothing but problems with it in PC Games.

Also, is anyone else running 3840x1600 on their CX 48? Full 4K is way too much for the distance I am running. I can run @ 60hz no issues whatsoever but can't create anything custom over 60hz. Shouldn't we be able to at least hit 75hz at that res or have to wait to HDMI 2.1?

3840x1600 is an ultrawide resolution -- on a 16:9 TV, I would think running this resolution either gives you a stretched image or black bars at the top/bottom; if the latter, you'd get similarly "sized" UI elements as full 4K. Did you mean you're using a different resolution?

HDMI 2.0 can only go up to 4K @ 68hz, but I doubt 68hz is that much better than 60hz even if you can get it working.

No sir, I don't have HDR on as I've had nothing but problems with it in PC Games.

Also, is anyone else running 3840x1600 on their CX 48? Full 4K is way too much for the distance I am running. I can run @ 60hz no issues whatsoever but can't create anything custom over 60hz. Shouldn't we be able to at least hit 75hz at that res or have to wait to HDMI 2.1?
The CX looks best with HDR turned on. You are right that there are a lot of problems with HDR and PC games, but the issues can be often fixed with research and proper calibration. When it is working properly, it definitely presents what I'd describe to be the most colorful, lively image that people look for when showing off their TV's.

I also recommend setting the White Balance Color Temperature in the picture settings to 'Warm 2'. The other settings are too cold IMO, and often look washed out depending on what's onscreen.

Agreed 110% -- The fact that 1000:1 contrast is still the defacto standard is both maddening and mind boggling. This $250 Vizio, even though imperfect, was measured at like 6000:1

I'm running a 43" samsung NU6900 4k 60Hz VA on each side of my gaming monitor similarly. They were each under $300 before tax and have ~ 6100:1 contrast ratio with accompanying deeper black depths. Currently my gaming monitor in the middle is a 32" 1440p LG VA g-sync which is lucky to get toward 3000:1. I probably have the LG a little worse contrast on the desktop to bring the whites up but I use nvidia freestyle in some games to optimize their look outside of that.

I agree that some of the ~ $300 (and less) VA TVs are a great value and look very good overall PQ wise.. but I wouldn't game on them at 60hz and with VRR personally.

I'm still hoping the smoke clears and some wrinkles get ironed out by november for OLED sales. I'm assuming the VRR issue will get fixed but I'm not sure about the 422 downscaling of the chroma resolution in the CX. It's not certain that a C9 or E9 will be available by then either options wise considering everything going on, or if they will be overpriced due to bottom of the barrel stock like what happens with some hardware. I'm tempted to just buy a 55" C9 now but I'd kick myself if 422 was a firmware issue that got fixed by the end of the year when the 48 CX's 48" size is more manageable.

So how did these TVs ever get certified by Nvidia for gsync. Obviously it was never tested in anyway.

It worked with HDMI 2.0 at 120hz and 4:2:0 AFAIK (with some issues such as raised blacks but yeah). There were no HDMI 2.1 output devices available until now.

Am I the only one wanting to run 3840x1600 on the CX 48 for PC games? I know we don't have an option for consoles but I was hoping for more options on that resolution. Can't go above 60hz at 3840x1600 :(

So how did these TVs ever get certified by Nvidia for gsync. Obviously it was never tested in anyway.

Gsync works perfect. But i have not installed the latest driver. I still think it's Nvidias fault (gsync issues). Nevertheless both need to get in touch to address all the problems.

Last edited:
As much as I want a 3090 and a 48CX I'm glad I have been forced to hold off buying. Things should be fine by the time I do get to spend money.

Reactions: elvn
like this

You are limited to 60 Hz for custom resolutions on the CX 48. 120 Hz works fine with HDMI 2.1. I use 3840x1600 on some games like say Red Dead Redemption 2 that already barely runs at 60 fps on my 2080 Ti. With the custom resolution no problem plus you get the wider field of view. I move my screen a bit forward on the monitor arm to add immersion.

At work so haven't watched the video yet. Did LG cop to the 422 downsampling issue as well or just the gsync issue? Any mention of RGB, chroma, color degradation etc?

Cool thanks for the info. Hopeful for my nov purchase now.

It worked with HDMI 2.0 at 120hz and 4:2:0 AFAIK (with some issues such as raised blacks but yeah). There were no HDMI 2.1 output devices available until now.

I'm sure test output devices exist for certification purposes, but yeah, this is the first time a "real" signal source has existed, so there's no shock there's some initial problems.

I'm sure test output devices exist for certification purposes, but yeah, this is the first time a "real" signal source has existed, so there's no shock there's some initial problems.
I would of expected that Nvidia and LG would have the equipment to properly test it.

New poster here guys, this is a concerning comment on the latest HDTVTest video re the LG issues, no HDR at 4k 120hz with gsync as it's not possible, i've sent it to Jonh at Forbes and he's going to speak to his LG contact about it:

Tg47cFmsE83tTaTHzOx0gmiHMgyvpuJWqVfomx8MntI.jpg

New poster here guys, this is a concerning comment on the latest HDTVTest video re the LG issues, no HDR at 4k 120hz with gsync as it's not possible, i've sent it to Jonh at Forbes and he's going to speak to his LG contact about it:

View attachment 281742
This been already discussed in the CX48 thread. They know of the issue and looking into releasing a firmware update in the following weeks.

This been already discussed in the CX48 thread. They know of the issue and looking into releasing a firmware update in the following weeks.

This is from after that issue was raised and LG confirmed it. Even the Forbes guy is now looking into it and he broke the news about the firmware update.

Wait I'm a little confused now. So the chroma subsampling to 422 only happens IF you turn HDR ON at 4k120Hz 444? Otherwise it's REAL 4k120hz 444 without HDR OFF? Or does LG tech support have no idea what they're talking about?

Wait I'm a little confused now. So the chroma subsampling to 422 only happens IF you turn HDR ON at 4k120Hz 444? Otherwise it's REAL 4k120hz 444 without HDR OFF? Or does LG tech support have no idea what they're talking about?

LG Tech support does not know what they are talking about. It's 4:2:2 in 4K 120 Hz SDR and something not-quite-4:4:4 in 4K 120 Hz HDR from what I can see between my CX and C9.

The predicate of how this this new issue is being presented is that its a combination of Gsync & 4k 120hz 4:4:4 / HDR together being the problem but re-reading the statement below from the CSR that doesn't seem to be the case at least as far as what I can tell by just the snippet of info given.

Notice the first two sentences - there is no mention of Gsync and the information given clearly goes against what the product specs say. The third sentence states this is "also the same" with Gsync. So reading the entire statement both are true independently so I am not understanding how these two problems are connected.

"The highest refresh rate supported by the OLED CX using 4K/4:4:4/HDR is 60Hz. The only way to play content in 4K at 120Hz with full RGB Chroma 4:4:4 is to turn HDR content ... This also goes for the same with G-Sync, unfortunately. It will not run with HDR on."

1600813907755.png

4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR g-sync = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 120hz SDR g-sync = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz HDR = okay
4:4:4 4K 60hz g-sync = okay

is what I get from the above.

Last edited:
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR = dont work
4:4:4 4K 120hz g-sync = dont work

is what I get from the above.

I think you meant this? .....

4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR g-sync = doesn't work
4:4:4 4K 120hz HDR = doesn't work

-----------------------------------------

What he (the LG REP) seemed to say to me, more concisely, is that:

-- in order to get RGB 4k 120hz you have to turn HDR off
-- In order to get 120hz 4k G-sync you have to turn HDR off

He never said anything about 120hz RGB + G-sync being possible in SDR or not. In fact, he seemed to make it a separate case which makes me think he considered "120hz 4k G-sync + HDR" a separate scenario and didn't even consider mentioning "120hz 4k RGB + gsync + HDR" or "120hz 4k RGB + g-sync + HDR OFF".

That is, he made a separate case for each that require HDR to be off:
--one case being 120hz 4k + RGB (which is 444)
and
--the other case for 120hz 4k + G-sync

And that is all on the CX? It will be very interesting to see what this firmware fixes and what , if anything, is a hardware limitation. Also what hardware limitations are different between the C9/E9 and CX.

Last edited:
Since I probably won’t get a 3080 for a couple of months, what’s the best you can do with HDMI 2.0b ? RGB 4K 8bit @60 hz & 4K 4:2:2 @120hz and you need to go down to 1440p if you want HDR ?

What’s the best mode for just desktop/browsing ?

Since I probably won’t get a 3080 for a couple of months, what’s the best you can do with HDMI 2.0b ? RGB 4K 8bit @60 hz & 4K 4:2:2 @120hz and you need to go down to 1440p if you want HDR ?

What’s the best mode for just desktop/browsing ?

4k 120hz 8bit 4:2:0 SDR, 4k 60hz 8bit RGB HDR, 4k 60hz 10bit 4:2:2 HDR, 1440p 120hz 8bit RGB HDR are the HDMI 2.0 options. Your call on which of those sounds best to you.

Edit: While testing this I noticed that 10bit is indeed an option on HDMI outputs in the Ampere release non-studio drivers (even on Turing cards, I have a 2080Ti). Nvidia kept their word, no one needs to "OMG ONLY 40GBPS!!!!!" ever again.

Last edited:
In Far Cry 5 I can't see any difference between 10 bit and 8 bit HDR. 10 bit 422 runs noticeably smoother than 8 bit 444 for some reason.

In Far Cry 5 I can't see any difference between 10 bit and 8 bit HDR. 10 bit 422 runs noticeably smoother than 8 bit 444 for some reason.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Windows HDR does dithering automatically when at 8bit color, that's probably why it's so hard to tell any difference.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Windows HDR does dithering automatically when at 8bit color, that's probably why it's so hard to tell any difference.
Ah, then 8bit 444 is less smooth due to windows doing some additional processing on software level.

Another response from UK customer care this time, just posted to reddit by someone, this isn't looking good
wj4l36no8vo51.jpeg

Was going to pick one up but I'll wait until they iron all the issues out. If not this years model maybe next years.

Back