LG 48CX

It might be an issue with the adapter doing the conversion from DP signaling to HDMI 2.1 signaling more than anything. We will know for sure when 3000 series cards get in the hands of LG CX owners.
The CX downsamples at 1080p when connected directly to the GPU via HDMI. The C9 doesn't have this issue. I wish someone would test the C9 with the CAC-1085 at 4K 120 Hz RGB.

These video format conversions are typically implemented as dedicated blocks on the ASIC / FPGA. Each combination of source & destination format needs its own block. If the designers run out of space on the chip, they may leave out uncommon resolutions.

The CX downsamples at 1080p when connected directly to the GPU via HDMI. The C9 doesn't have this issue. I wish someone would test the C9 with the CAC-1085 at 4K 120 Hz RGB.

These video format conversions are typically implemented as dedicated blocks on the ASIC / FPGA. Each combination of source & destination format needs its own block. If the designers run out of space on the chip, they may leave out uncommon resolutions.

I have both the CX and C9 and can probably test this later this week when I have time. I tried the CAC-1085 with the C9 when it was initially released and it did work better with that but had some small artifacts and the black screen issues. I did not test anything more than how it works at the time. Need to try how it performs with the firmware updates to the adapter since then.

Technically we dont know if any of the TVs will work with the new cards and their HDMI 2.1 since there are no cards to test. We're going to find out soon enough though. I been debating whether to try and get a 3090 early or just wait. I have a backlog of house projects that requires money and I'm not keen on a FE model anyway plus there is the wait for the early adopters to do the testing and failures of TV and HDMI 2.1 and whatnot. I got more reasons to wait than to try and fight my way in line on day one. I just need to suppress that upgrade itch.

Technically we dont know if any of the TVs will work with the new cards and their HDMI 2.1 since there are no cards to test. We're going to find out soon enough though. I been debating whether to try and get a 3090 early or just wait. I have a backlog of house projects that requires money and I'm not keen on a FE model anyway plus there is the wait for the early adopters to do the testing and failures of TV and HDMI 2.1 and whatnot. I got more reasons to wait than to try and fight my way in line on day one. I just need to suppress that upgrade itch.

Just wait a couple months to see what RDNA2 brings to the table. Also, a Cyberpunk 2077 nvidia bundle is bound to come around that time as well :)

Just wait a couple months to see what RDNA2 brings to the table. Also, a Cyberpunk 2077 nvidia bundle is bound to come around that time as well :)
waiting is decent advice, but the problem is supply might not be available for you to buy the card when you want.

Will the 30 series cards be supporting 10bit 444 120fps ? Traditionally Nvidia consumer cards have only supported 8bit or 12bit output, and don’t do 10bit. The vast majority of hdr monitors/TVs on the market are 10bit.
[Qi Lin] The 30 series supports 10bit HDR. In fact, HDMI 2.1 can support up to 8K@60Hz with 12bit HDR, and that covers 10bit HDR displays.

I had some free time tonight so I did some testing with the Club3D CAC-1085 and both my C9 65" and CX 48". Firmware version v1.03 on the adapter. Firmwares on TVs are whatever the latest ones available are at the time of writing.
  • Both TVs can exhibit the HDR color space issue with the adapter. When this happens, toggling to 4K 60 Hz HDR and back to 4K 120 Hz HDR fixes it and you get BT2020 output. Seems like an adapter issue.
  • Both TVs exhibit the blurriness bug if Screen shift is enabled and you are using 4K 120 Hz. This has probably never come up with the C9 because you haven't been able to run 4K 120 Hz on it before.
  • C9 artifacts are gone with the latest CAC-1085 firmware and black screen/no signal issues are reduced to a rare occurrence.
  • C9 looks the same at 4K 120 Hz and 4K 60 Hz in both SDR and HDR. No chroma subsampling issues as far as I can tell.
  • CX looks the same as C9 at 4K 60 Hz, whether it's SDR, HDR, 8- or 10-bit color.
  • CX looks chroma subsampled at 4K 120 Hz SDR, 8-bit or 10-bit color is the same.
  • CX with 4K 120 Hz HDR looks somehow less chroma subsampled but there is some difference in colors and sharpness. It's just not very noticeable in normal use.
  • CX with 1080p 120 Hz HDR over HDMI 2.0 exhibits similar behavior to 4K 120 Hz HDR over CAC-1085, just without the color space issues. A difference in colors and slight difference in sharpness vs 60 Hz.
I think in about a month we will find out if the CX has some weird bugs on 120 Hz when people start using these TVs this with HDMI 2.1 GPUs. To me they are starting to seem like firmware issues on the TV that hopefully get fixed as these problems occur even at 8-bit color which is well within the bandwidth of the display. It's like it is perfectly capable of 4K 120 Hz 10-bit color, but somehow manages to do something to both the sharpness and the colors while having chroma subsampling issues when HDR is not enabled in Windows.

The sharpness thing in particular is interesting because to me it is actually more pleasant to read text at 4K 120 Hz. It seems almost like there is more subpixel fringing to text at 60 Hz and at 120 Hz there is less. It's hard to say there is a difference in sharpness because I can still see for example a 1 pixel dotted line as expected at 4K 120 Hz, it doesn't look blurry or blend together. Very hard to describe the difference as it's pretty subtle.

I had some free time tonight so I did some testing with the Club3D CAC-1085 and both my C9 65" and CX 48". Firmware version v1.03 on the adapter. Firmwares on TVs are whatever the latest ones available are at the time of writing.

• CX with 4K 120 Hz HDR looks somehow less chroma subsampled but there is some difference in colors and sharpness. It's just not very noticeable in normal use.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but could it possibly look sharper due to the higher PPI?

Anyone else experiencing the PC icon being reset back to the HDMI icon in the Home Dashboard ? Happens almost everyday now, screwing up my settings, Auto brightness and input latency everytime :(

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but could it possibly look sharper due to the higher PPI?

No this was on the same display, the CX. It was the difference in image quality between 4K 60 Hz and 4K 120 Hz, 4:4:4. The difference is almost like a difference in subpixel antialiasing where it looks somehow a bit off to me at 60 Hz in Windows but fine at 120 Hz to my eyes, closer to the "no antialiasing look" on MacOS. Yet if you look at something like say 1 pixel sized text it does not look blurry or anything, not like how for example Screen shift makes it. For all I know it could be something caused by the adapter or it is a difference in processing on the LG CX.

No this was on the same display, the CX. It was the difference in image quality between 4K 60 Hz and 4K 120 Hz, 4:4:4. The difference is almost like a difference in subpixel antialiasing where it looks somehow a bit off to me at 60 Hz in Windows but fine at 120 Hz to my eyes, closer to the "no antialiasing look" on MacOS. Yet if you look at something like say 1 pixel sized text it does not look blurry or anything, not like how for example Screen shift makes it. For all I know it could be something caused by the adapter or it is a difference in processing on the LG CX.

I see. Welp in less than 2 weeks people will be able to find out if Ampere can run this display with no issues. If not, tough luck to those who wanted to use the CX as a workhorse monitor. For me personally, the CX was always going to be a gaming/movie only display.

Anyone else experiencing the PC icon being reset back to the HDMI icon in the Home Dashboard ? Happens almost everyday now, screwing up my settings, Auto brightness and input latency everytime :(

I have had it happen a few times but not regularly. I would try a different cable or try your connected devices or TV in a different outlet in case that has an effect.

I have had it happen a few times but not regularly. I would try a different cable or try your connected devices or TV in a different outlet in case that has an effect.

Hrm i only have my computer connected. Maybe another HDMI port could do the trick.

Will the 30 series cards be supporting 10bit 444 120fps ? Traditionally Nvidia consumer cards have only supported 8bit or 12bit output, and don’t do 10bit. The vast majority of hdr monitors/TVs on the market are 10bit.
That quote makes me nervous. He both confirms 30 series can do 10bit, but then implies an output of 12bit will be just fine for 10bit displays. So maybe the 10bit support consumers want isn't the same 10bit support NVIDIA is offering...

I see. Welp in less than 2 weeks people will be able to find out if Ampere can run this display with no issues. If not, tough luck to those who wanted to use the CX as a workhorse monitor. For me personally, the CX was always going to be a gaming/movie only display.

For the desktop I am looking at on my first CX (of 3) I am totally happy. 120hz. And the small bits in terms of text fidelity - which is only slightly compromised, IMO...I feel like I can still do art on these. Now...I don't do stuff for print. But this is plenty excellent for me so far. And a big step up from my 40" 4k LCDs. Sim racing is heaven at 4k 120hz versus 60...

Still holding out for november OLED deals but in the meantime I moved my whole rig to a different wall in my spare room.

It seemed like taking apart a space shuttle control center and putting it back together because I have so many peripherals and wires. It was a much needed overhaul since I had been adding things gradually over time over my existing wire management. So it is a lot nicer now. However I did knock a nice very heavy chrome base banker lamp over with my head which broke the heavy frosted glass shade so that was a loss. Then I moved my TCL 43" S405 screen on it's ergotron arm with not enough slack in the hdmi cable which resulted in the metal end of the hdmi plug getting broken 90 degrees. I tried a longer 18gbps cable I had laying around but the screen would blink occasionally, very annoyingly. Now half of the screen is dim. I tried doing a full system restore on the tv and I dug up a shorter ~ 10' 18Gbps hdmi cable. It's not blinking anymore but it's always dim on the right side. I looked it up on google and it seems like some of these cheap TCLs die like that in 1.5 - 2 yrs. However the PC move probably contributed to it's demise. Incidentally I also hit the top of my head on the corner of a wall shelf which resulted in a small goose egg and a tiny bit of blood in my hair. :rolleyes:

So now I'm deciding if I will get another NU6900 Samsung 43" to match the other 43" monitor in my array. There is still a few brick and mortar stores within 20 mins of here that have some and they are better than this year's model. I screen shotted some layouts with one or two 43" 4k screens alongside a 48" or 55" oled using a monitor layout calculator but I'm still undecided on my layout.

I just measured out 42" across on the middle of my display desk to represent the width of a LG 48" CX and locked my tape measure there. Then I moved each 43" display in portrait mode just to the edge of where the ends of that 48" TV would be, one on each end. It seems like a good setup once I rolled my peripheral desk and chair back a little more and set the 43" displays to 125% scaling and tweaked a few things. I'd been considering putting both 43" displays in portrait on the same side of an OLED so that I could rotate to one side to do all desktop/app things when not focusing on what the media/gaming OLED stage is running but I think I will start with the bookends type setup I'm more used to first and see how it goes.

~ 42" wide is still a very big screen if the best buy dimensions are accurate. (The 55" one is ~ 48.5" wide according to their site).

I played around with the idea of doing this with a really tall pole stand for two cheap 24" displays above the OLED butI wouldn't buy into that for awhile.
The 5 and 6 are just parts of a single 43" display in this example if anyone is wondering.
43" VA TV = monitor 1, monitor "5&6"
48" OLED TV = monitor 4
24" 1080p LCD = monitor 2, monitor 3

iCy3VtQ.png

So at first it'd be the "rabbit ears" without #2 and #3. I'm using my setup right now with the 43" screens that far apart. I think the extra 3.25" distance on each end to each 43" screen if using a 55" would be pushing it too far so I hope the questions about the 48" CX all pan out on the 3000 series gpus with hdmi 2.1. I think my setup is looking good in this orientation - just missing that centerpiece I'll pick up in a few months.

The icon resets only when I unplug the HDMI cable. I can shutdown the PC and it doesn't reset as long as the cable remains connected. This is both with a direct connection to the GPU, and with the CAC-1085. Unplugging the USB cable of the CAC-1085 doesn't reset the icon either.

I thought I finally found an easily reproducible "near black flicker" smoking gun....but I'm thinking now it's a false alarm because it happens on other displays as well.

In the Xbox Game Pass app, if you scroll through the list of games the near black sections of the app get weird slightly off color random blotches, and when scrolling this looks like a flicker. But it happens with VRR off as well....and on my monitor (but is much more difficult to see on my monitor, I'm not entirely sure why...). Just something janky with the app itself I guess.

Reactions: elvn
like this
The Vizio 55" and 65" OLEDs are out at best buy and a few people have them on AVSForum here:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-vizio-oled65-h1-oled55-h1-owners-thread.3167344/page-3

A quote from an owner who has had one for a few days:

Been lurking for a bit but I figured I would post a few of my takes on the Vizio OLED I've had for about two days.

My Setup:
65" Vizio Oled
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Initial thoughts:
I have been debating between the Vizio OLED and the LG CX for a while and figured I'd give Vizio another shot since my past 4 TV's have all been Vizio and I have experienced absolutely no issues with any of them.
I'm coming from a P55-C1 from a little over 4 years ago. Loved that TV and it still produces an excellent image even four years later. I have had zero problems with that TV since I bought it.

The OLED is a little more complicated. Out of the box, yeah black levels are unbelievable. HDR handling seems excellent as well. I'm no expert but it is a really astounding TV to look at. Overall picture quality seems great and I really don't have any complaints there. I don't have a whole lot of additional detail to add beyond the fact that this TV produces a really great image in general. Bonus grey uniformity picture:

Some issues that are tempting me to return it before my 30 days are up and swap for an LG CX:

1. When I enable VRR on my Xbox One X, the display starts to break down and the signal deteriorates (see video of Borderlands 3 and Assassins Creed Odyssey with this issue below). I'm not sure if this is due to the system level VRR and the Xbox is trying to send an AMD Freesync signal? On top of that, while the deterioration occurs, the TV rapidly changes from HDR10 to 10+ over and over. To make it even more bizarre, it only happens with a few games, Borderlands 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Assassins Creed Odyssey. (I've tested a good amount of different games at this point and these are the only ones that consistently have an issue. The issue is resolved when I disable VRR on the Xbox and reboot both the Xbox and the TV. Borderlands: 20200908_215510
    Assassins Creed: Snapchat-853107754Snapchat-1042155298
  2. In Disney+ accessed from an Nvidia Shield, when watching Dolby vision content, I saw some significant judder in some panning scenes in Rogue One. Honestly the first time I've ever witnessed judder I think. Really uncomfortable to look at. Then, when leaving the content and going back to the Disney+ menu, the signal deteriorates into a stream of static and green lines. No idea why it does this, and it doesn't behave that way when watching DV content in Netflix for example. Image of issue: 20200907-223407
These issues are really problematic and making me strongly consider returning the TV. I'm hoping these are all software issues that can be fixed with an impending update, but at the same time I don't want to risk going past the 30 day return window while waiting for a fix...

He's having a problem with XBOX VRR. LG OLEDs had a problem with it as well which was fixed with a firmware update just recently in July.

He's also having a problem with disney+ off of a nvidia shield. I asked him if any other 4k HDR streaming services have the same issue. I'll report back if I hear anything.

Last edited:
The icon resets only when I unplug the HDMI cable. I can shutdown the PC and it doesn't reset as long as the cable remains connected. This is both with a direct connection to the GPU, and with the CAC-1085. Unplugging the USB cable of the CAC-1085 doesn't reset the icon either.

Ooooooh that explains it all :O i have been alternating between the HDMI cable to my livingroom OLED and this tv to couchgame from the single HDMI output on my Graphics card....cannot wait for the custom board 3080s with 2xHDMI....

The Vizio 55" and 65" OLEDs are out at best buy and a few people have them on AVSForum here:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-vizio-oled65-h1-oled55-h1-owners-thread.3167344/page-3

A quote from an owner who has had one for a few days:

He's having a problem with XBOX VRR. LG OLEDs had a problem with it as well which was fixed with a firmware update just recently in July.

He's also having a problem with disney+ off of a nvidia shield. I asked him if any other 4k HDR streaming services have the same issue. I'll report back if I hear anything.
I can't wait to see a full review on the VIZIO OLED. It is actually exciting to me that prices for OLEDs are starting to become more affordable. They're still expensive, but a 55" for $1300 is a lot easier to stomach than $1800 for the CX's initial launching price.

No regrets getting the CX 55 @ $1800 here. I knew I was paying the "earlier adopter tax", and the screen is still insanely beautiful. The more I use it, the more I love it. It literally beats the pants off all of my previous gaming displays by a mile. It's not even close.

Also, I've been using Xbox One X VRR on my CX without issue. Honestly, the CX just makes the Xbox One X look insanely beautiful, especially RDR2 and Forza Motorsport 7.

You'd have to be insane to buy a Vizio OLED given the nonstop firmware/software bugs their LCD's have. Saving $200 is no where near worth the headache with their first foray into OLED.

The 55" CX was actually cheaper than the 48" a couple weeks ago at Bestbuy. The only price these Vizio OLED's make sense @ is $1000.

I'm waiting to see what's up. Vizios modern TVs seem pretty good. I've had a 70M 70" 4k VA with low density fald array for around 5 years now, and my workplace has a 65".

It'll come down to performance in reviews. Having a different gaming chip could be a notable difference pro or con. Also the 48gbps on multiple hdmi 2.1 ports.

Hopefully the LGs and the Vizios will both be valid choices but it's too early to weigh in on the vizios for me choice wise yet. November should be a good time to choose as it will have been out for a few months (and probably reviewed in detail), it might get a quick firmware update by then, the 3000 series gpu performance on both will likely be compared by then, and I can compare the vizio 55 OLED to november OLED sale prices on LG OLEDs. The availablity of an LG in 48" size is also a consideration obviously.

Last edited:
Vizio is going to use LG panels...so there's only a few options for what's going on here:

1. LG is selling Vizio panels that don't meet their quality standards for even BX TV's (likely).
2. LG is selling at least BX-quality panels to Vizio for a profit and Vizio is skimping so hard on the other components they can still sell it for less (somewhat likely)
3. LG is selling at least BX-quality panels to Vizio for a profit and Vizio is selling the TV's at an even thinner margin than LG or even a loss and banking on selling your data to make a profit (highly unlikely they're selling at a loss, guaranteed they're selling your data to increase margins)

It's a combination of 2 and 3. There's no indication Sony gets inferior panels.

It's a combination of 2 and 3. There's no indication Sony gets inferior panels.

Yeah, but Sony charges MORE than LG for their OLED TV's, not less, so it can be assumed LG is selling them quality panels at a premium. I'm talking about the possible ways Vizio can charge less for an OLED TV with an LG panel than LG can.

LG Display Co., Ltd, the panel maker, and LG the electronics manufacturer are technically "different" companies. LG Display Co., sells panels to every manufacturer including LG Electronics.

Reactions: sethk
like this
I ordered the waste-of-money NFL Sunday Ticket streaming service. Apparently you can chat with ATT and say you don't watch TV to get it without DirecTV.

There doesn't seem to be an app on the CX though. I will try Prime App tomorrow when games start.

Last edited:

Dont be silly, ofc it will work with HDMI 2.1 on the 3000 series. Thats what standards are for. Either way, there is plenty of time for you to find out before the September 24th release of the RTX3090. There are many people who are eager to test the RTX3080 with OLED C9 and CX, me included. Expect to read about it in 3 days when the NDA goes out, maybe before since the NDA was originally September 14th and some may not pay attention to nvidia. ;)

I ordered the waste-of-money NFL Sunday Ticket streaming service. Apparently you can chat with ATT and say you don't watch TV to get it without DirecTV.

There doesn't seem to be an app on the CX though. I will try Prime App tomorrow when games start.
I use Locast.org, free service to watch local TV in 13 large markets. they also have an app for amazon firestick.

I use Locast.org, free service to watch local TV in 13 large markets. they also have an app for amazon firestick.
And I just discovered this! What is sad is that I cannot even get NFL Sunday Ticket to work lol.

May I ask what HDMI 2.1 cables you all are using? I have having trouble finding properly certified cables. This cable appears to be properly certified, but its Amazon so who knows - https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Compatible-Netflix-Playstation-Samsung/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ultra+high+speed+hdmi+cable&qid=1600021001&sr=8-3&th=1

This is in preparation for a RTX 3xxx card I will use with my LG CX.
I bought these. I won't know how well they work until I get a 3090.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

There are several streaming sites, legit and otherwise, as long as you have a hi-speed connection, you shold never need those scam packages anymore.

I bought this cheap HDMI 2.1 cable I found on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDMI-Ca...var=432740243371&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Need a HDMI 2.1 capable card to find out if it really works, my 2080 Ti can do 4K 120Hz but at a reduced colour chroma.

Also, is anybody getting green colour tinting on the side of the screen? Mine is visible at the top left and bottom side of the screen which is kinda annoying, though not a major issue as it will go away but will return later.

Monoprice has reasonably priced 48gbps / 8k hdmi cables and they have a very good track record even if I haven’t tested these cables in particular.

I did some more testing with the Club3D adapter and interestingly 1440p 120 Hz has zero issues in SDR vs HDR but both 1080p 120 and 4K 120 Hz do. The performance for 1440p does not differ if the adapter is used or not.

1080p 120 Hz SDR will somehow only output 4:2:2 with both HDMI 2.0 vs adapter + HDMI 2.1 but with HDR enabled seems to do better...but still somehow manages to have color that differs from 4K 60 Hz HDR or 1440p 120 Hz HDR. This same issue occurs at 4K 120 Hz which leads me to wonder if this is some sort of firmware bug on the TV. We will know for sure when HDMI 2.1 GPUs hit the market.

Interestingly the LG CX 48 EDID defines 1440p 120 Hz separately whereas 1080p and 4K 120 Hz are listed in the "TV resolutions" section. I tried removing them from there and adding them as their own DisplayID block but it made no difference.

I needed a 12ft cable for my CX (still in a box waiting for an RTX 3090) to replace my existing C7. Over the years sometimes even a copper cable at that length could be wonky as I went through several cables to get rid of sparkles sometimes.

This time around I decided to just "pay the cable tax" and go with a fiber HDM1 2.1 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SFN2FG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool I'll be interested to hear how that cable works out for you off of a hdmi 2.1 gpu later. Did you get the 20' one?

Back