LG 48CX

How were you getting 10 bit before? I thought nvidia doesn't support 10bit through HDMI.

1593121849346.png

Not supported, not at 4K anyway.

Interesting. Well technically hdmi 2.0 does not have the bandwidth to do 10bit 444 at 60Hz. Does it at least show up at 30Hz? I think you may have just solved one of everyones biggest questions about nvidia supporting 10 bit over hdmi.

Interesting. Well technically hdmi 2.0 does not have the bandwidth to do 10bit 444 at 60Hz. Does it at least show up at 30Hz? I think you may have just solved one of everyones biggest questions about nvidia supporting 10 bit over hdmi.

Just tried 30hz - no go for 444 10 bit.

Unfortunately no since FLAC is the least-compressed format that is the most available, wav is unrealistic. If atmos music actually took off and became a thing (making new uncompressed atmos surround recordings from the studio master tracks), I would definitely start building a library of that though. I am definitely looking forward to uncompresesd hdmi audio with eARC from dolbytrueHD and atmos movies.

About the VRR-less, assumingly DSC club 3D adapter. Yeah it's a short stop gap and VRR 4:2:0 would be more preferable in the meantime I agree. I won't be getting my LG OLED until november (only 4months or so away really) so hopefully the 3090ti /hybrid will be out by then and with hdmi 2.1 (othewise amd gpu?) making the adapter unnecessary.

....you guys don't understand compression. If you zip a file then unzip it, is the output file "less pure" than when you zipped it? No, they are identical bit for bit, or the entire process literally wouldn't work. That's lossless compression. FLAC is lossless audio compression. It is bit for bit identical output to your audio stack compared to the WAV file that was used to create it. "Lossless" is the L in FLAC...

Yea FLAC and WAV are exactly the same thing. It's just that one file is smaller and requires a little extra (and perfectly negligible) processing (but also less data to read from the storage which might be beneficial).

There is no point in keeping .WAV or .PCM files unless you are a professional working with those files (since some applications will not work with compressed files directly). Same goes for .BMP files etc.

Yea FLAC and WAV are exactly the same thing. It's just that one file is smaller and requires a little extra (and perfectly negligible) processing (but also less data to read from the storage which might be beneficial).

There is no point in keeping .WAV or .PCM files unless you are a professional working with those files (since some applications will not work with compressed files directly). Same goes for .BMP files etc.

Technically there is also the ability to have uncompressed FLAC which is like WAV PCM with better ID tagging/Metadata but that is rarely done since you can save space otherwise.

Dolby ATMOS music on the other hand while also non-lossy, will have been re-mastered into separate 5.1 or 7.1 + surround channels using the original studio recordings which have separate recordings for each instrument and each voice, perhaps multiples of each. Unfortunately I think it is still a small library of ATMOS music so far, so it might not ever really take off. Will have to see. There are always dolby true HD/Atmos movie soundtracks though I suppose.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/what-is-dolby-atmos-music-and-how-to-get-it/

Atmos Music isn’t a conversion of stereo into multichannel surround — it’s a from-scratch-made recording that utilizes these extra channels in a whole new way.

One of the defining characteristics of both Dolby Atmos for movies and Dolby Atmos Music is that an object (or in the case of music, an instrument or vocal track) can be manipulated in 3D space by the producer independently. For example, when listening to Atmos Music on an Atmos-compatible sound system, you might hear the violins from the front of the room as a symphony begins, but as the music continues over time, those instruments could be gradually shifted in space to feel as though they are coming from all around you. It’s an unprecedented degree of control for producers, and much like the 3D effect in movies, it might feel jarring or even cheesy if it were executed in a ham-fisted way. But by the same token, it can also feel sublime when the spatial options are manipulated by a deft and experienced hand.

Last edited:
Vincent goes into detail about dynamic tone mapping and Hgig, color detail clipping at this timestamp:

https://www.synopsys.com/designware...visually-lossless-compression-uhd-2017q3.html

A selected group of volunteers, unfamiliar with the image compression technology but with good vision, are individually presented an application that periodically alternates between original and decompressed images, including photography, text and artificial patterns generated by computer. The task is to try to detect any loss of quality by identifying any flickering artifacts. The results are then tabulated to determine the mean score from which VESA classifies compression as visually lossless or not.

----------------------------

https://www.quantumdata.com/assets/displayport_dsc_protocols_webinar.pdf

gaju3nM.png

Last edited:
From reddit. Assuming it's noone from this thread so thought I'd paste a bit of it over:

https://www.reddit.com/comments/hfyo0o/comment/fw0zoqs

PEHkhiD.jpg

On the desktop I run everything in a dark theme so ABL doesn’t bother me. I see it occasionally in HDR content though which isn’t fun.

Height is fine, doesn’t feel too tall at all. I do find myself looking down more though since the screen goes to the bottom of the desk.

Gaming and video are simply incredible on this, like nothing I’ve ever experienced. It is OK for desktop work, the text is a bit blurry, from 3-4 feet away the PPI feels like something between 1080p and 1440p.

Edit: PPI issue was fixed when I changed to PC mode. It looks like the TV defaults to 4:2:0 over HDMI. [More info.](https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/hfan8y/lg_cx_pc_mode_and_game_mode/fvxfmmb/) Text is crisp and clear now after the fix, I would put the effective PPI somewhere around 1440p now.

that's not my post I just copied it over for people to see his setup and comments.

Distance does make a difference to perceived ppi, not actual. The farther you are away from something, the smaller it looks. My 43 inch 4k monitor's text at 3. 5 feet away are pretty similar to what my 27inch 1440 was at 1.5 feet or so. 100 to 110 ppi looking in effect due to the increased distance. Any farther and I'd have to start using scaling up from 1:1

Last edited:
that's not my post I just copied it over for people to see his setup and comments.

Distance does make a difference to perceived ppi, not actual. The farther you are away from something, the smaller it looks. My 43 inch 4k monitor's text at 3. 5 feet away are pretty similar to what my 27inch 1440 was. 100 to 110 ppi looking in effect due to the increased distance. Any farther and I'd have to start using scaling up from 1:1
I was replying to the content of your post, and PPD is a measure for exactly what you're describing. PPD is 79.67 for a 27" 2560x1440 screen at 3.5 feet and 75.11 for a 43" 3840x2160 screen.

He said " from 3-4 feet away the PPI feels like something between 1080p and 1440p. "

But yes in specs ppi is ppi not "perceived ppi", so PPD is a more accurate term/method... but I think you can see what he was getting at.

So spec wise it is:
108.8ppi for 27"1440 and
91.8 ppi for 48" 4k respectively more or less.
My middle monitor currently is a 32" 1440p (31.5") so it has a lower density of 93ppi compared to the ~ 109ppi of a 27" 1440p, closer to what the 48" 4k's pixel and default text sizes would look like I guess (as you said).

In any case, kicking my 43" (~102ppi)displays and my 32.5" display back farther in effect perceptually shrunk the default text and perceived pixel size to my eyes more in line with where I wanted them to be on the 43" displays. The 31.5" 93ppi one is still a bit jumbo looking for my taste at default text sizes at that same 3.5' distance to me.

To continue using one or both of my 43" side monitors along with a 48" LG CX I'd be putting the 43" 16:9 in portrait mode to conserve horizontal space. So the issue for me would be that at the ~48" away I'd be viewing the 48" OLED, the ppi at default text sizes on the 43" side monitor(s) would start to be too small for my taste especially for the smallest types of text. The 48" OLED's slightly lower ppi would be tight enough looking at that far away so shouldn't be a problem on role playing game interfaces and dialogue text, etc. So what I'm saying is that I'll probably use a default sitting distance of 48" or so to match where I want to be for reading default text size and perceived pixel size on the 48" gaming/media stage, and I'll probably scale the 43" monitor(s) up a notch as needed, rather than sitting at a distance to suit the 43" LCD's default text sizes and making things look more jumbo on the 48" OLED. :D

Last edited:
Anyone heard anything from B&H lately? I pre-ordered June 11th and i’m getting impatient especially seeing people that ordered theirs weeks later from Best Buy and already have it..

I don’t know if I cancel and order then order from best buy if i’m shooting myself in the foot and i’ll have to wait until late july..ugh.

I just got the following info from B&H today actually. Placed my order June 6th. May just order one from BB as well.
Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Please be advised that your backorder is estimated to arrive at our warehouse by 07/30. As soon as we receive it in stock we will ship your order to you, and e-mail you with the tracking information.

I apologize for this delay and any inconvenience it has caused you.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Reactions: Brik
like this
Anyone heard anything from B&H lately? I pre-ordered June 11th and i’m getting impatient especially seeing people that ordered theirs weeks later from Best Buy and already have it..

I don’t know if I cancel and order then order from best buy if i’m shooting myself in the foot and i’ll have to wait until late july..ugh.

Yep, same boat I’m in.

I just got the following info from B&H today actually. Placed my order June 6th. May just order one from BB as well.

Huh. I placed my order June 1 and received an email 3 days ago letting me know that the product was still backordered, but no estimated arrival date was given.

BB looks slightly more promising at this point (their page is saying I’ll get it by July 20 if I order now), but who knows how accurate either of those dates are.

What to do...

Yep, same boat I’m in.

Huh. I placed my order June 1 and received an email 3 days ago letting me know that the product was still backordered, but no estimated arrival date was given.

BB looks slightly more promising at this point (their page is saying I’ll get it by July 20 if I order now), but who knows how accurate either of those dates are.

What to do...

Hoping the dude intended to type 6/30, but I dunno. B&H doesn't charge cards until ship time anyway, so I just ordered another from Best Buy. Going to cancel whichever order takes longer.

After reading that some people managed to get their order delivered earlier than expected from BestBuy, I went ahead and placed mine in. Current estimated delivery is between Jul 14th-21st. Hopefully it comes sooner.

So, where does this monitor (or rather the CX/GX in general) stand as a gaming monitor for fast paces shooters like CS GO etc compared to something like a 240 hz TN panel? Should add that I own both (GX in my case) but I have not had a chance yet to compare them side by side.

Hoping the dude intended to type 6/30, but I dunno. B&H doesn't charge cards until ship time anyway, so I just ordered another from Best Buy. Going to cancel whichever order takes longer.

I just did this as well. BB checkout page said I should get it between Jul 13 - Jul 20. We will see.

Set up my 48”. Only have the ps4 pro hooked up for now. Coming from my pg27uq, while the overall HDR full screen shots (think sky boxes) aren’t as impactful, the amount of depth of the screen along with the strong HDR highlights Is just outstanding. HDR overall looks great and the contrast brings a lot of depth to the image where fine graphical details are far more visible.

regarding the size, I find it just about perfect. A few Years ago I used a 55” E6 as my main pc display and it just felt too big to be comfortable and while it looked great overall, scenes didn’t seem as dense as I would like due to its size. If that’s makes any sense. On the other hand, the pg27uq looks ultra sharp and scenes always looked very dense. The 48” is a really good balance. I’m sitting about 2.5 feet away.

Next-Gen GPU's and OLED TV's with HDMI 2.1 + FreeSync can't come soon enough. I wish they would release cheaper 40" 1080p version. With proper TXAA/TAA + Sharpening, 1080p is plenty for me. It is definitely plenty for playback. I don't see even Next-Gen GPU's capable of running madVR enhancements at 4K...

Set up my 48”. Only have the ps4 pro hooked up for now. Coming from my pg27uq, while the overall HDR full screen shots (think sky boxes) aren’t as impactful, the amount of depth of the screen along with the strong HDR highlights Is just outstanding. HDR overall looks great and the contrast brings a lot of depth to the image where fine graphical details are far more visible.

regarding the size, I find it just about perfect. A few Years ago I used a 55” E6 as my main pc display and it just felt too big to be comfortable and while it looked great overall, scenes didn’t seem as dense as I would like due to its size. If that’s makes any sense. On the other hand, the pg27uq looks ultra sharp and scenes always looked very dense. The 48” is a really good balance. I’m sitting about 2.5 feet away.

Take some pics. We would love to see your setup! Especially with you sitting at your desk and someone else taking the pic. My desk is about 2 1/2 feet deep also.
What mount if any are you using. C'mon give us the details!

Next-Gen GPU's and OLED TV's with HDMI 2.1 + FreeSync can't come soon enough. I wish they would release cheaper 40" 1080p version. With proper TXAA/TAA + Sharpening, 1080p is plenty for me. It is definitely plenty for playback. I don't see even Next-Gen GPU's capable of running madVR enhancements at 4K...

1080P at 40" on your desk?! Holy smokes, 24" 1080P makes my eyes bleed.

So, where does this monitor (or rather the CX/GX in general) stand as a gaming monitor for fast paces shooters like CS GO etc compared to something like a 240 hz TN panel? Should add that I own both (GX in my case) but I have not had a chance yet to compare them side by side.
Higher FPS monitors will always be better than the 48CX as far as competitive FPS gaming goes. If you are the type that plays a broad variety of pc games and want a large screen then something like the 48CX will be good. However we really need to see how nVidia's new GPUs work with the 48CX before we can get final answers. Nvidia needs to give us full HDMI 2.1 support to make TVs like the CX48 really shine. Just my own opinion of course.

Take some pics. We would love to see your setup! Especially with you sitting at your desk and someone else taking the pic. My desk is about 2 1/2 feet deep also.
What mount if any are you using. C'mon give us the details!
Luckily I have an 84” wide Uplift desk which gives me a ton of flexibility. It’s pretty deep too.

You sure about that? CX has two advantages: pixel response time, and 120hz BFI. Tracking targets might be easier on the CX

Those 2 things will improve motion clarity sure, but a 240Hz refresh rate improves overall responsiveness from your mouse input vs 120Hz. Both are important factors in tracking targets so ideally a 240Hz OLED in a more suitable size like 24-27" would definitely be the ultimate competitive gaming monitor. Funny how panel makers rather push for 360Hz IPS panels instead...

Higher FPS monitors will always be better than the 48CX as far as competitive FPS gaming goes.
Gotta wonder about that; one of the reasons to get higher-refresh LCD panels is for the motion resolution upgrade, but this is tied to the slow transition times of LCD technology. I expect the best LCDs to be better in terms of absolute motion handling and responsiveness to user input, but the compromises involved (TN panels, low contrast, washed out...) might not make for a better overall competitive solution.

Back