• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

I have some time before the 55" G5 might drop a few hundred more, where I'd be more tempted to bite (had the dithering concern not turned me off).

I may see if I can bring my laptop in a backpack to a bestbuy that has a LG G5 on display, if they'll let me connect it to the screen to test for a few minutes (maybe they'll let me come back near closing time or something). The only one local is a 65 inch model though, so it might be like PPD ~ perceived pixel sizes, where the 65" screen's dithering might be visible a bit farther away than a 55 inch would. The 55" at 3.5 feet away I'd be going for with my setup would be an equivalent viewing angle and perceived pixel size as a 65" at around 4 feet 3 inches away.

Idk. I guess if they hit my price point before 2026 screens potentially outshine them, I could try one and return it if I found the dithering to be obnoxious.

.

Rumor is that the 2026 C series will be moving to tandem panels like the G5 but obviously will lack the heatsink + brightness booster pro max ultra or whatever it's now called. I wonder if that means LG will apply the same dithering techniques to the C series as they do the G series if both are now tandem panels. Samsung also seems hellbent on matte coatings for their flagship models so the S95G or whatever that's called will most certainly have a matte coating as well. If dithering and matte coatings are guaranteed in the future then...oof.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
I guess I have to wait to see what 2026+ has.
That is me at this point. I was ready to buy the 45GX950A-B for my next display until you and Vega both bought and dumped them. You returned yours, and I think I saw his for sale in the FS/T forum. I was thinking that I could live with the matte coating and that it might even be advantageous now that I've redone my space and have windows behind me, but the descriptions about a duller or "creamier" look and not as much pop were kind of a turnoff as the image quality is one of the things that continues to impress me most about the CX even after tens of thousands of hours.

I feel like I'm in no man's land because until recently I had ZERO desire to go back to a 55", which tend to be where the best panels go (although oddly, this new room arrangement I have would make that size a bit less ridiculous than it was previously), and traditionally I haven't enjoyed ultrawides because of their lack of vertical space and res, but I was going to give the LG 5K2K a shot because it was at least an immersive size with lots of resolution which would satisfy my desktop wants at the expense of demanding games being even harder to run...but that's something I was willing to live with.

It's a shame too, because I've had the monitor on my wishlist since it was $2000, then $1600, and then the other day I saw it for a new low of $1400 but even that feels like too much if I'm going to lose the deep blacks and overall image quality.

All good though, I can wait. If I upgraded now, my CX would just take up space because we already have LG OLEDs everywhere else in the house. In the end I think it was more a matter of money burning a hole in my pocket because I ended up paying cash for a car this week and suddenly couldn't care less about upgrading my CX for a while, lol.

In the meantime I'll keep racking up hours on it and might as well see how long she lasts. Shame that the Negative Nancies from waaayyyy earlier in this thread (years ago at this point) telling us how iMpOsSiBlE it was to daily drive an OLED without getting burn-in are no longer around to see the CXs in here still kicking. :p
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
Haha, burn-in is still a non issue on my CX. Dead pixels on the edges, sure (which is a manufacturing flaw but not an OLED issue), but still cannot see burn-in unless I display a solid colour background and strain my eyes or sit 20cm from it.

By the looks of it, I might hit something ridiculous like 30k hours or more by the time I upgrade it. I don't think I've even managed to drive a LCD that hard in my life lol. But most importantly I'm fairly confident burn-in still won't be an issue by that point. Visible, but not impactful in real world use.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
I picked up a Samsung 32" G80SD on sale last month. Blows my old Alienware 3423DWF old out of the water. I always regretted the Alienware after comparing it to the CX and HDR was crap on it.

I figured I would give samsung a shot on replacing my CX48 after reading C5 reviews. Picked up the 65" S90F $1100 off and I love it too. Have mounted next to its little brother across from a media couch.
Now I can play a FPS at my desk or grab a controller and plop down on the couch in my media room / mancave.

I am impressed with the HDR and brightness on the S90F. I would say its a big upgrade.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
S90F is not bad compared to the hisense u8qg mini-led I was looking at since it's on sale and I'd have a use for it outside of my PC setup at some point if I got one. Posting some comparisons between S90F, LG G5, and the hisense U8QG mini-led below, from RTings.

S90F / U8QG


firefox_EsIm2pxbVi.png



S90F compared to LG G5 OLED

firefox_qkOp26X1fZ.png


=================

S90F compared to U8QG 's contrast

(G5 being oled would be same blurb as the S90F's)

firefox_hXGaEMoSNT.png


edit: mini-LED is a lot slower for gaming but that wouldn't be what I'd be doing on that one if I ever got one. The u75qg model is on sale even cheaper ~ $530 but it isn't as good of PQ overall, and it's calibration out of the box is a pita for HDR I guess.
 
Last edited:
It would be nice if RTings expanded their real scene brightness testing, they've been sticking to the same 3 scenes for years now and none of the 3 are low APL scenes where OLED does best.
 
S90F is not bad compared to the hisense u8qg mini-led I was looking at since it's on sale and I'd have a use for it outside of my PC setup at some point if I got one. Posting some comparisons between S90F, LG G5, and the hisense U8QG mini-led below, from RTings.

S90F / U8QG


View attachment 768149


S90F compared to LG G5 OLED

View attachment 768150

=================

S90F compared to U8QG 's contrast

(G5 being oled would be same blurb as the S90F's)

View attachment 768151

edit: mini-LED is a lot slower for gaming but that wouldn't be what I'd be doing on that one if I ever got one. The u75qg model is on sale even cheaper ~ $530 but it isn't as good of PQ overall, and it's calibration out of the box is a pita for HDR I guess.
I have the Hisense U8k from a couple of years ago and the hdr is useless. Everything gets too dim.
 
I have the Hisense U8k from a couple of years ago and the hdr is useless. Everything gets too dim.

There is a lot of difference between older models and what hisense and tcl have put out recently. The tcl qm8k and qm9k from 2025 are also very highly rated , with bright hdr overall. The TCL are just too big for where I'd use one, starting at 65 inch.


The u8n from 2024 got good ratings though, idk which gen your TV was from.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8-u8n

. . . .

The ones I was talking about:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u75qg

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8qg

Edit: Unlike the larger models, I think the 55 inch models of those hisense I was talking about use an ips panel ("ads-pro") instead of VA, so that's worse contrast than the reviewed model. Rules it out.
 
Last edited:
I was watching a YouTube video a couple of days ago of the new ASUS that does 700hz at 720 p and 540hz at 1440p. He put a slow mo camera on a small portion of screen and wow... The difference was incredible at each step up in refresh. I had no idea we already had tech where persistence is virtually nothing at that refresh. I mean, I still don't need one as I play in 4k and can't break 120hz anyway 99% of the time... But damn it was impressive.
 
There is a lot of difference between older models and what hisense and tcl have put out recently. The tcl qm8k and qm9k from 2025 are also very highly rated , with bright hdr overall. The TCL are just too big for where I'd use one, starting at 65 inch.


The u8n from 2024 got good ratings though, idk which gen your TV was from.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8-u8n

. . . .

The ones I was talking about:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u75qg

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u8qg

Edit: Unlike the larger models, I think the 55 inch models of those hisense I was talking about use an ips panel ("ads-pro") instead of VA, so that's worse contrast than the reviewed model. Rules it
I bought it for my living room almost two years ago. So it’s probably 2-3 model years back. PS5 HDR and Dolby vision are essentially unusable though it was well reviewed by Rtings. If I block Dolby vision on Kodi or an Apple TV…. It’s fine.

I have no idea if it’s improved in the newer versions.
Was just a heads up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
Supposedly the modern hisense u8qg, and especially the TCL um8k, hit it out of the park this year as far as miniLED offerings go, with reviewers shocked at how far they've come from their flagships being cheap under-performing tvs in the past.

They are off my radar now anyway for anywhere I'd want 55" or smaller, since those are "ads-pro", which is some kind of ips with way worse native contrast. 55 inch and smaller TVs are usually not the ones reviewed and tested. The 55" and smaller mini-LED ones can have a different panel type, and can have a much lower # of FALD zones. That affects how well the overall FALD contrast works so the smaller ones don't perform as well as the higher scoring larger models. Hisense in particular can be a gamble longevity wise, too, vs. durability. The TCLs sound great but they start at 65 inch.

.
 
Last edited:
I was watching a YouTube video a couple of days ago of the new ASUS that does 700hz at 720 p and 540hz at 1440p. He put a slow mo camera on a small portion of screen and wow... The difference was incredible at each step up in refresh. I had no idea we already had tech where persistence is virtually nothing at that refresh. I mean, I still don't need one as I play in 4k and can't break 120hz anyway 99% of the time... But damn it was impressive.

Indeed. Too bad the only way we'll ever get to such frames in newer games is through frame generation and boy does it have a lot of work to do...4x MFG on my 5090 just looks and feels terrible, but 3x is OK. I tested it using 120fps as the base frame rate and then using 4x MFG to get to 480fps for my PG32UCDP in it's 480Hz mode and 4x simply has way too much artifacts and input lag even with a 120fps base frame rate so it completely negated the benefits of 480Hz to begin with. If using even higher multipliers than 4x in the future is the way moving forward then there is tons of improvement needed.
 
Indeed. Too bad the only way we'll ever get to such frames in newer games is through frame generation and boy does it have a lot of work to do...4x MFG on my 5090 just looks and feels terrible, but 3x is OK. I tested it using 120fps as the base frame rate and then using 4x MFG to get to 480fps for my PG32UCDP in it's 480Hz mode and 4x simply has way too much artifacts and input lag even with a 120fps base frame rate so it completely negated the benefits of 480Hz to begin with. If using even higher multipliers than 4x in the future is the way moving forward then there is tons of improvement needed.

It should get there eventually , like 100fps 10ms solid (minimum, not average) native frame rate x 5 for 500fpsHz. They are also working on using some input lag tricks, especially for more x/y planar games like first person shooters. mFG x 5 will probably require future gpu gens w/ newer ai hardware, and more software advancement. DLSS has improved a lot along the way from when it came out.

.
 
Last edited:
It should get there eventually , like 100fps 10ms solid (minimum, not average) native frame rate x 5 for 500fpsHz. They are also working on usin some input lag tricks, especially for more x/y planar games like first person shooters. mFG x 5 will probably require future gpu gens w/ newer ai hardware, and more software advancement. DLSS has improved a lot along the way from when it came out.

.

Feels like 4x MFG is just completely undercooked, but I guess Nvidia would have had an even harder sell if the only big improvement going from the 40 to 50 series was going from 2x to 3x MFG. But then again given how well the 5090 sold I'm Nvidia could have just stuck to 3x MFG instead of 4x MFG as the main selling point and it would not have hurt sales by much, if at all.
 
I’m probably one of the few who can compare the CX48, the C5 (42) and the G5 as I own all three.

Overall, I have an enormous appreciation for the CX48. It was “sidegraded” to a bedroom TV which I’d never actually used it for, and it’s simply superb. 5+ years and still going strong. Bedroom audio needs are limited so I’m using the onboard speakers and they’re actually pretty damn good.

The G5, our recent new living room television is an upgrade over the CX48 in every possible way, however 48” is at the upper end of sizes for a computer display for me (in fact the CX48 was always a bit too large for me) so the G5 would never have worked. It really is an amazing panel. I’ve wondered whether I should have opted for the Samsung or one of the Sony panels but overall the G5 was the best fit for our living room which tends to be fairly bright with limited light control; the LG’s absolute black display even in bright conditions is nice whereas the Samsung’s mild scatter would not have looked as good.

The C5 42” has been mostly-disappointing. After MUCH tweaking and adjustment I feel that I’m at a place where the image quality is superior to the CX48 (especially peak brightness) but it has not been easy. On top of that the software remains buggy, the display conditioning nannies are incredibly annoying (it seems to demand some pixel cleaning cycle every 3 or so days) and it’s just overall very annoying. Finally with the CX48 I never had to muck around with HDR all that much in order to enjoy a great picture; for the C5 I need HDR turned on to make the most of the display which means that I have to deal with Windows 11’s atrocious HDR stability. MacOS is a LOT better here, but I mostly use this display with Windows 11.

Overall, I’m not a fan of the C5 and I don’t think I would recommend it as a PC display.
 
I’m probably one of the few who can compare the CX48, the C5 (42) and the G5 as I own all three.

Overall, I have an enormous appreciation for the CX48. It was “sidegraded” to a bedroom TV which I’d never actually used it for, and it’s simply superb. 5+ years and still going strong. Bedroom audio needs are limited so I’m using the onboard speakers and they’re actually pretty damn good.

The G5, our recent new living room television is an upgrade over the CX48 in every possible way, however 48” is at the upper end of sizes for a computer display for me (in fact the CX48 was always a bit too large for me) so the G5 would never have worked. It really is an amazing panel. I’ve wondered whether I should have opted for the Samsung or one of the Sony panels but overall the G5 was the best fit for our living room which tends to be fairly bright with limited light control; the LG’s absolute black display even in bright conditions is nice whereas the Samsung’s mild scatter would not have looked as good.

The C5 42” has been mostly-disappointing. After MUCH tweaking and adjustment I feel that I’m at a place where the image quality is superior to the CX48 (especially peak brightness) but it has not been easy. On top of that the software remains buggy, the display conditioning nannies are incredibly annoying (it seems to demand some pixel cleaning cycle every 3 or so days) and it’s just overall very annoying. Finally with the CX48 I never had to muck around with HDR all that much in order to enjoy a great picture; for the C5 I need HDR turned on to make the most of the display which means that I have to deal with Windows 11’s atrocious HDR stability. MacOS is a LOT better here, but I mostly use this display with Windows 11.

Overall, I’m not a fan of the C5 and I don’t think I would recommend it as a PC display.

I have a few questions, if you have time or feel like answering any (or not) :

..How big is your LG G5 TV? Asking this because I think size vs view distance may come into play in how far away dithering lines are visible.

..Have you played pc or console games at 4k on the G5 ?

.. How far away are the dithering lines visible to you when gaming on the G5 and C5 (assuming you have perfect eyesight or corrective lenses to perfect focus at that distance) ?

The dithering issue is steering me away from the LG G5 OLED, because I wanted to use one on a stand, gapped from a pc desk but still at a desk-like viewing angle. The vids of the dithering on reddit and youtube look bad.

From another thread/forum, the comment was that from statements by reviewer sources, a few said that the dithering lines do not become unnoticeable until after 1.5m (an inch shy of 5 feet), though some said they become unnoticeable after 3 feet.
I think the screen size vs viewing distance, PPD might come into play there though, since most of those reviewers are primarily "living room TV" oriented, even if they cover the gaming.

The 1.5 meters figure as a minimum to make dithering not apparent is equivalent to 4' 11", which is essentially 5 feet. Viewing a 55" 16:9 4k screen at 5 feet (or 60 inches), results in you sitting farther than where you would view the screen within the 60 to 50 degree human central viewing angle, which is the optimal viewing angle for PC use.

. . . . . . .

For a 55" 16:9, in order for me to view one in the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees for pc desktop/gaming, I'd be somewhere around :

41 inch view distance ~ 60 degrees
to
51 inch view distance ~ 50 degrees

Say around 40 inch +/- for 60 degree viewing angle, maybe 3.5 feet ( ~ 106 cm).

. . . . . . .

The fact that some sources are saying dithering lines don't become unnoticeable until after almost 60 inch view distance is disturbing (for pc use). At 60 inch view distance the screen is only at a 44 deg viewing angle, so not filling your central view, being somewhat shrunken to your perspective.

Optimal viewing angle for pc use is near the human central viewing angle of 60 to 50 degrees, which gets you a healthy 64 to 77 PPD, and most PC users would probably go for fatter(nearer) toward the 60 deg end of that figure to fill out the central view. If dithering is noticeable at those viewing angles, then it would be a deal breaker and I'd have to avoid the G5 OLED. I do have an eye for detail, and dislike matte abraded screen surfaces even. I've not found any good data about how far the dithering is noticeable though, more like recommendations.

If the 1.5m is correct, then dithering lines would be visible at less than 5 feet away. However, if the 3 feet comment is correct, then it might be ok at 60 to 50 deg, since that viewing angle range is around 3.5 feet to 4.4 feet.

PPD calculator:
https://qasimk.io/screen-ppd/


. . . .

Making the two videos below full screen or a larger window on a larger screen makes it more apparent than windowed or using small screens. The issue is that there are lines present, but also that they are moving, or appear to change/move as the content is moving.


G5

. . .

G5

. . .


. . .
G4

1145739_if-you-are-affected-by-the-diagonal-lines-on-lg-tvs-from-v0-55d6ztbto55f1_png.png

. . .
 
Last edited:
I have a few questions, if you have time or feel like answering any (or not) :

..How big is your LG G5 TV? Asking this because I think size vs view distance may come into play in how far away dithering lines are visible.

..Have you played pc or console games at 4k on the G5 ?

.. How far away are the dithering lines visible to you when gaming on the G5 and C5 (assuming you have perfect eyesight or corrective lenses to perfect focus at that distance) ?
Our G5 is a 77” and we sit pretty close maybe 8-10’.

Sadly I don’t think I can be of much help. I moved my gaming desktop to the living room to play Cyberpunk 2077 for a few hours to get a sense as to the display but that was it. I did not notice any dithering lines whatsoever but I also was paying far more interest to overall visual quality and display dynamic range. My eyesight is good enough to pick up such things, but I have to admit that I was not paying much attention to that specific topic. My wife plays a lot of Apple Arcade and docked Nintendo switch fitness games on the G5, but these tend to be lower resolution and not particularly subtle with the gamut. That said, no issues there either, and those are from a fairly close distance.

I am extremely happy with the G5. It feels like a completely different experience than the C5.
 
Thanks for answering .

Supposedly the dithering isn't visible after 5 foot viewing distance, according to some reviewers, but I've also heard 3 feet. (They didn't specify screen size though, which may be a factor just like PPD, perceived pixel sizes.. like the dithering lines might be viewable starting sooner/nearer the larger the screen).

Since I'd be viewing a 55" 4k from around 3.5 feet for a PC setup, I'm still in that 3 to 5 foot range, so I'm avoiding the G5 for my scenario. If I knew I wouldn't see the lines, I might spring for the 55" on a sale down the road, but I may just be holding a false hope there, could be a square peg in a round hole type of thing due to how the panel works.
 
Last edited:
After 5 years I replaced my 48 CX because I was getting quite a lot of dead pixels all around the edges of the display. Wanted a 42" but really wanted a 240hz this time around so I went with an MSI 322URX and I kind of regret it. I'll be on the lookout for a 42" 240hz LG now I guess.
 
After 5 years I replaced my 48 CX because I was getting quite a lot of dead pixels all around the edges of the display. Wanted a 42" but really wanted a 240hz this time around so I went with an MSI 322URX and I kind of regret it. I'll be on the lookout for a 42" 240hz LG now I guess.

Why not just return it and see what the C6 brings next month?
 
After 5 years I replaced my 48 CX because I was getting quite a lot of dead pixels all around the edges of the display. Wanted a 42" but really wanted a 240hz this time around so I went with an MSI 322URX and I kind of regret it. I'll be on the lookout for a 42" 240hz LG now I guess.
What makes you regret it? The size?

I thought really hard of swapping my aging 48 CX to a more modern 32 inch OLED monitor, but the size difference is just too much to bear :(
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
What makes you regret it? The size?

I thought really hard of swapping my aging 48 CX to a more modern 32 inch OLED monitor, but the size difference is just too much to bear :(
I'm locked in on 48" too. I have a bunch of 24" 1080p monitors surrounding mine and that translates to exactly the same pixel size as the LG at 48" and 4k.

If I only used one screen I could go smaller and move it closer or go bigger and further away, but I have 8 screens so it's not happening.

What I really want is simultaneous VRR and BFI (or whatever they want to call their low persistence mode). I would isntantly upgrade for that. But 4k 240hz would probably be enough too. Frame gen is getting good enough you can take advantage of it.
 
Why not just return it and see what the C6 brings next month?
Well it was on sale (I also used the paypal 20% cashback on it I got it for $600 after everything said and done) and like I said my CX is dying. If the C6 has 240hz Ill just buy that too, its not a big deal.

What makes you regret it? The size?

I thought really hard of swapping my aging 48 CX to a more modern 32 inch OLED monitor, but the size difference is just too much to bear :(
Yea the size and overall brightness. I've been playing a lot of BF6 with my buddies so I thought 240hz would be a big improvement. Its way easier to play overall for me on the CX 48 because everything is much bigger, its easier on my eyes especially since I have had the CX since 2020.
 
I might be able to go 55" for my center screen, but that's pushing it. I'd still have a 43" 4k on each side of it in portrait mode (using mainly the bottom 2/3 of each, with the top 1/3 for less used stuff like a number of different communications/texting apps, etc). I'm not really interested in anything under 42" in 16:9 at my setup if I can help it. The 55" G5 could have worked out (I have the distance to roll my desk backward enough from my screen array, which wouldn't end up being all that much more of a view distance than I view my 48" CX) - but it has dithering that is said to be obvious somewhere between 3 feet to 5 feet away, so that idea is on ice for now .

The 45gx950a was in the right range for me, size wise. It got around the same PPD as a 48" CX viewed in a 60 to 50 deg viewing angle, at the higher end 50 deg anyway. The 45" gx950a, at ~ 32 inches view distance, which is the center of curvature of 800R, 800mm, got around 79PPD, and had a good perceived height at that view distance. I just didn't like the PQ which seemed a step backwards to me outside of the rez and curvature of the screen's format. You mentioned brightness differences in desktop monitors. That 45" 21:9 was doing some kind of lift of the HDR curve for it's "high" peak brightness mode.. Though the highlights on spell effects and such were laser bright - the colors were drab/dim in the normal mid to low range(or still narrow and supersatured in gamer2 mode, like some old VA trying to compensate for poor color). The AG didn't help the perception of the colors, and it made blacks look flat, plus the brightness "lift" may have been stretching the blacks/darks upward, too. I messed with a lot of settings, options, and some depth of "diving" for several days but I felt like I was trying to compensate for an inferior PQ.

I just played some HDR stuff on the 48CX and it still looks great. I still have a 77" C1 in the living room as well. I'm not willing to go with tampered HDR range lifts/brightness stretching methods and abraded screen surfaces on desktop monitors unless I have years with zero other options and am forced to for some reason. The current Samsung QN FALD and their QD OLEDs this gen also have abraded screens (where last gen did not).

. ..

240Hz would be nice ergonomically, providing some more motion articulation and a little bit less sample-and-hold blur (if you are running ~ 240fps) . . but it's not likely to improve anything competitive wise in online games due to how online servers work. As long as you keep your frame rate minimum (not average) above 128fpsHz on a 128tick server, you'll be getting the lowest temporal gap you can get in relation to the server (e.g. 128fpsHz would get 72ms where 60fpsHz solid would get 100ms "temporal gap" / "peeker's advantage"/ "rubberbanding"). That plus a tick or frame could arrive mid frame/tick in either direction, where you'd get another frame/tick delay in milliseconds added to that (on one or both ends of the equation). Local gaming , LAN competitions, locally vs. bots, would be different and could provide more advantage, but online is far from 1:1. They just market screens as if it is.

That said, I'd still love a 240Hz screen someday, and a 480 - 500Hz 4k some-year when hopefully mFrameGen x 5 works well enough, (e.g. 100fps native x5) , for the aesthetics of greater blur reduction and increased motion definition.

The place higher fpsHz (than 128fpsHz minimum) would make a difference in competitive play would be in LAN competitions.The way Online Gaming servers work more than muddies the dynamics from 1:1. You are always seeing yourself ahead in time and your opponents back in time (from where you actually "are" on the server) in online gaming. Your local game is also predicting frames of action and showing those to you while it waits on the next tick. Frames/ticks which also can arrive mid frame and have to wait until the next frame/tick to be processed on either end of the server client relationship. The server code ultimately makes biased, interpolated decisions on resolving what happens and that ultimate authority , though a biased, interpolated result, is delivered in the ticks overriding whatever you have seen on your end. The whole online server thing is something of a displacer beast.

So, what you are aiming at locally isn't even necessarily exactly where it actually is as far as the server is concerned at any given time when playing online - rather than local single player games, vs bots locally, or playing against others in LAN competitions. As long as you keep 128fps as your minimum (not average) on a 128 tick server (using a screen that is higher than 128Hz), you should be good. On a 128 tick server, you running 128fpsHz solid/minimum gets around 72ms temporal gap/rubberbanding/"peeker's advantage", while 60fpsHz solid gets 100ms. (Some 128tick server games may be worse due to their net code, though). A lot of servers are way lower tick than that, too, making a much larger temporal gap/rubberband vs. locality, things like high fire rate weapons resulting in "super bullets", larger peeker's advantages, etc.

The thing is, online games are always a rubberbanding displacer beast, it's a matter of how much. 1000fpsHz locally isn't going to change that.
 
Last edited:
I’m probably one of the few who can compare the CX48, the C5 (42) and the G5 as I own all three.

Overall, I have an enormous appreciation for the CX48. It was “sidegraded” to a bedroom TV which I’d never actually used it for, and it’s simply superb. 5+ years and still going strong. Bedroom audio needs are limited so I’m using the onboard speakers and they’re actually pretty damn good.

The G5, our recent new living room television is an upgrade over the CX48 in every possible way, however 48” is at the upper end of sizes for a computer display for me (in fact the CX48 was always a bit too large for me) so the G5 would never have worked. It really is an amazing panel. I’ve wondered whether I should have opted for the Samsung or one of the Sony panels but overall the G5 was the best fit for our living room which tends to be fairly bright with limited light control; the LG’s absolute black display even in bright conditions is nice whereas the Samsung’s mild scatter would not have looked as good.

The C5 42” has been mostly-disappointing. After MUCH tweaking and adjustment I feel that I’m at a place where the image quality is superior to the CX48 (especially peak brightness) but it has not been easy. On top of that the software remains buggy, the display conditioning nannies are incredibly annoying (it seems to demand some pixel cleaning cycle every 3 or so days) and it’s just overall very annoying. Finally with the CX48 I never had to muck around with HDR all that much in order to enjoy a great picture; for the C5 I need HDR turned on to make the most of the display which means that I have to deal with Windows 11’s atrocious HDR stability. MacOS is a LOT better here, but I mostly use this display with Windows 11.

Overall, I’m not a fan of the C5 and I don’t think I would recommend it as a PC display.
How do you feel about the LG WebOS on CX vs G5? I fear that if I upgrade my TV, the smart TV OS has just gone to crap and become annoying to use.

I like the system on the CX 48". It doesn't give me much grief apart from all the streaming service apps regularly wanting to crash at startup. But having them reboot themselves automatically is not that big a deal. Changing inputs is fast, and adjusting settings is reasonable.

I feel like I'm done with OLED for desktop use and will just stick to my Samsung G95NC superultrawide mini-LED for the foreseeable future.
I've been hoping TVs would finally go for 4K 240 Hz (with BFI? One can dream) as that would give me more incentive to upgrade, but realistically I think I will only sell my CX when I move within 2 years.
 
How do you feel about the LG WebOS on CX vs G5? I fear that if I upgrade my TV, the smart TV OS has just gone to crap and become annoying to use.

I like the system on the CX 48". It doesn't give me much grief apart from all the streaming service apps regularly wanting to crash at startup. But having them reboot themselves automatically is not that big a deal. Changing inputs is fast, and adjusting settings is reasonable.

I feel like I'm done with OLED for desktop use and will just stick to my Samsung G95NC superultrawide mini-LED for the foreseeable future.
I've been hoping TVs would finally go for 4K 240 Hz (with BFI? One can dream) as that would give me more incentive to upgrade, but realistically I think I will only sell my CX when I move within 2 years.
The two OS revs despite being years apart aren't all that different from a desktop monitor perspective IMO.

The new UI was a huge pain in the neck at first when it came to the simple bone-headed stuff like 'how do a select an input?!' but once you get past that stuff, they're non-issues.

In terms of general performance, the C5/G5 era is about as snappy as the CX48, the menu tree of settings is very similar. I find the C5/G5 sync to PC signals more quickly than the CX48 which is definitely noticeable when it comes to seeing things like transient POST messages, but otherwise it's not a night-and-day difference.
 
The two OS revs despite being years apart aren't all that different from a desktop monitor perspective IMO.

The new UI was a huge pain in the neck at first when it came to the simple bone-headed stuff like 'how do a select an input?!' but once you get past that stuff, they're non-issues.

In terms of general performance, the C5/G5 era is about as snappy as the CX48, the menu tree of settings is very similar. I find the C5/G5 sync to PC signals more quickly than the CX48 which is definitely noticeable when it comes to seeing things like transient POST messages, but otherwise it's not a night-and-day difference.
How would you compare them as smart TV systems? I use my CX as my TV and do all my streaming stuff using the built-in apps. How has the input selection changed? On the CX it's as simple as one button and picking from the bottom of the list.
 
How would you compare them as smart TV systems? I use my CX as my TV and do all my streaming stuff using the built-in apps. How has the input selection changed? On the CX it's as simple as one button and picking from the bottom of the list.
I have not used the Smart TV functionality on either since we use Apple TV boxes over any "Smart TV" functionality regardless of display. Heck, when I travel I pack an Apple TV for hotel rooms where I can access a HDMI input. So, I unfortunately cannot answer your question.

Input selection is way worse on the C5. The CX48 actually had input buttons etc. The C5 just has some auto-magical slow UI heavy interface that input selection is buried within and deliberately blurred into the app functionality. It's terrible but once I was able to figure it out once, it does a fine job remembering the previous input on each power up, and that is all I need for a dedicated display for a single PC.
 
The lack of any stupid smart TV crap is one thing I really like about my LG 48GQ900. It's a 48" 4k OLED monitor I use mostly for gaming. I have IPS screens for work & general computer use/web browsing/posting on [H]/etc.

The C4 I have in my living room would be ok as a computer monitor. It remembers the last input I used. There's an input button on the remote that pulls up an input menu, then you just hit a couple buttons on the remote to change inputs. Does the C5 not have an input button on the remote and make you go through some stupid menu?
 
I have not used the Smart TV functionality on either since we use Apple TV boxes over any "Smart TV" functionality regardless of display. Heck, when I travel I pack an Apple TV for hotel rooms where I can access a HDMI input. So, I unfortunately cannot answer your question.

Input selection is way worse on the C5. The CX48 actually had input buttons etc. The C5 just has some auto-magical slow UI heavy interface that input selection is buried within and deliberately blurred into the app functionality. It's terrible but once I was able to figure it out once, it does a fine job remembering the previous input on each power up, and that is all I need for a dedicated display for a single PC.

I used a nvidia shield and then a nvidia shield 2019, which is still on my bedroom tv. My living room TV has a dune hd android box model on it now. Both the shield and the dune have ai/machine learning upscaling, and their systems are fast and snappy. While most integrated smart TV OSs have gotten better over the years, I find most integrated smart tv OS apps somewhat slower, and they seem to be subject to memory leaks or lagging after many hours of youtube use for example, and slow to index remote directories. The android boxes also aren't walled gardens so I'm able to install 3rd party app versions of things, and other apps that aren't available when using smarttv operating systems. They also have gigabit network ports/hardware where tvs do not.

The one downside was that youtube and 3rd party youtube apps wouldn't play hdr and HLG hdr on those android boxes, but that works fine now.
 
Last edited:
I used a nvidia shield and then a nvidia shield 2019, which is still on my bedroom tv. My living room TV has a dune hd android box model on it now. Both the shield and the dune have ai/machine learning upscaling, and their systems are fast and snappy. While most integrated smart TV OSs have gotten better over the years, I find most integrated smart tv OS apps somewhat slower, and they seem to be subject to memory leaks or lagging after many hours of youtube use for example, and slow to index remote directories. The android boxes also aren't walled gardens so I'm able to install 3rd party app versions of things, and other apps that aren't available when using smarttv operating systems. They also have gigabit network ports/hardware where tvs do not.

The one downside was that youtube and 3rd party youtube apps wouldn't play hdr and HLG hdr on those android boxes, but that works fine now.
Yeah, I don't think it matters too much whether you use a decent nVidida, Google, Apple, Roku or other smart TV device. They are going to be better supported and long-lived than any smart TV software. I have an Apple TV (HD) a decade old at this point and all the major apps, streaming services etc. work perfectly on it even today.
 
After 5 years I replaced my 48 CX because I was getting quite a lot of dead pixels all around the edges of the display. Wanted a 42" but really wanted a 240hz this time around so I went with an MSI 322URX and I kind of regret it. I'll be on the lookout for a 42" 240hz LG now I guess.
Guess I'm not the only one having pixels on the edges die. It's not to noticable yet but I have a feeling I'm probably going to need to replace it soon
 
Guess I'm not the only one having pixels on the edges die. It's not to noticable yet but I have a feeling I'm probably going to need to replace it soon
I looked at reddit and it seems a semi common problem. It started with just a few on the top and right edges, then propagated on all edges for me. Im using my CX for my Cycling trainer TV now. Hopefully someone comes out with a 42"+ 240hz Oled soon.
 
There's around 4 dead pixels from what I've seen around the edge my 42" C2, 3 down the bottom right and another 1 on the right. I hardly ever see them though since I have pixel shifting turned on and a black background. The panel on my 42" a90k had a delamination bubble on the top right, Sony replaced the panel for me under warranty.
 
I looked at reddit and it seems a semi common problem. It started with just a few on the top and right edges, then propagated on all edges for me. Im using my CX for my Cycling trainer TV now. Hopefully someone comes out with a 42"+ 240hz Oled soon.

The C6 is pretty much confirmed to be 165Hz. I wouldn't count on 240Hz for a long time since LG takes multiple years to give a refresh rate bump.
 
It's been a while since this has been discussed I think, but in case anyone is looking for a desk-mounted arm that is capable of handling the 48CX (or similar), I can confirm that this one works:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819BLM2Z/?coliid=I1IPJ3O2DSH9NK&colid=14JTCW0UV9EHI&th=1

You will need a VESA adapter plate such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCMTCP3/?coliid=I2VTGIEMQ9LUQ6&colid=14JTCW0UV9EHI&psc=1

I received these for Christmas and just got everything mounted to my electric desk yesterday. With the adapter plate, it's about half the cost of the Ergotron HX, which is a frequently suggested arm for heavier monitors (it's proven, but pricey). I can't say that the Ergotron isn't worth the $330 (although their VESA adapter kit IS overpriced and looks like a flimsier solution), but if the AVLT holds up to the weight long term then I'd have no reservations recommending it.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
It's been a while since this has been discussed I think, but in case anyone is looking for a desk-mounted arm that is capable of handling the 48CX (or similar), I can confirm that this one works:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819BLM2Z/?coliid=I1IPJ3O2DSH9NK&colid=14JTCW0UV9EHI&th=1

You will need a VESA adapter plate such as this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCMTCP3/?coliid=I2VTGIEMQ9LUQ6&colid=14JTCW0UV9EHI&psc=1

I received these for Christmas and just got everything mounted to my electric desk yesterday. With the adapter plate, it's about half the cost of the Ergotron HX, which is a frequently suggested arm for heavier monitors (it's proven, but pricey). I can't say that the Ergotron isn't worth the $330 (although their VESA adapter kit IS overpriced and looks like a flimsier solution), but if the AVLT holds up to the weight long term then I'd have no reservations recommending it.

I used a similar style ergotron on my old apple 1440p glossy cinema display, which is a very heavy screen with thick gorilla glass and a metal housing (23 Lbs). The arm worked pretty well but it's much less articulating than an ergotron LX HD for example, or similar style arms, which utilize a pole type mount for the arm to work off of so have a lot more manueverability. Getting that pole style arm to work with a big tv can be difficult or impossible, though I believe there are hinge mods, and perhaps a few models that could do it.

For a screen this large I've used a separate slim hutch, which is a nice looking wood stained type of slim tabletop, something like a very tall (39" high) slim coffee table, 15" wide by 48" long, that I installed mini caster wheels with brakes onto. That matches the length of my separate desk pretty well, which is also on caster wheels, so it has a nice proportion/look.

That or I've used slim rail/post type tv floor stands, the kind with a flat foot or caster wheels, for gaming TVs in portrait or landscape. I don't find myself needing to adjust the central 48CX gaming tv screen one it's set up well enough, as I only use it from my pc chair so don't need to swing it around to be viewed from another direction or anything like that. If I want to sit nearer or farther from it, my separate desk is on caster wheels itself. My side screens in portrait mode are the ones I have to fine tune more, at least initially, in order to butt up against the middle 48cx without a gap, with the bottoms of all three screens at the same level, and in order for the side screens to be angled toward me best.

I've definitely used vesa adapter plates on tvs. They work great.

There are some similar designs to ergotron arms out there for sure, just be sure to check reviews as the components may not always be as solid depending on the make. With metal devices in general , including hardware tools for building, etc.. you can find that some metals are actually some kind of mixture that is almost like a ceramic. They can work and hold up ok, but in the long run they, or one of their parts using that kind of metal, can snap or crack. That one you linked on amazon has excellent reviews though, and is apparently all metal, just saying in general.

. . .

I'll stick with the hutch or tv stand method personally. From the looks of it, I may someyear end up with an even larger 55" 4k OLED gaming tv due to manufactuers only releasing 48" versions of their high end oleds outside of the usa for some reason, in the past but also including some of LG's line shown at the current CES.. :(
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, you typically don’t need to adjust a screen this large - my main issue with the stock stand was that it’s rather terrible. I still have an aftermarket stand that I used with my old 48JS9000, but it’s just a beefier/more stable unit than what Samsung included and doesn’t really offer any adjustability whatsoever after you get it mounted. I have windows directly behind me, and it’s nice to be able to angle the CX down just a bit to move the reflections toward the top of the screen, or rest the monitor’s bottom edge on the desk if you want it even lower than what the stock stand allows. In my case, it also makes dusting around/behind the monitor much easier because you can move the thing around.

As you said, there are many arms that look like they’ll work (or claim they will support large displays) but likely won’t, either due to a design issue with large screens or cheaper materials. Anyway, not trying to sell anyone on it, just wanted to list an option that seems to work well with 42-48 inch displays since the Ergotron always seems to be the standard recommendation and other options seem to be few and far between.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
ok my lg48cx has bit the pixel gods in the butt whats the best replacement s90f or c5
 
Back
Top