• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

With a normal display you get sample and hold motion blur from fast motion.

If you look at this https://www.testufo.com/framerates-versus there is text over each of those characters and you can't really read it as it scrolls by. If you had BFI you would be able to easily read the text.

When your display is showing something moving it's showing it in one spot, then it nearly instantly teleports to the next spot. Your eyes and brain add blur to this unnatural movement. BFI solves this by flashing each frame then just showing black inbetween, your eyes and brain naturally handle this and everything is clear.

For whatever reasons very few displays have BFI and almost none have simultaneous BFI VRR.

If you don't have VRR you need to maintain a constant 120 FPS to get smooth motion and have BFI work well, which isn't really possible unless you're playing an old game or on low settings. That's not really worth it to me so I always choose VRR. If BFI worked with VRR you could get the best of both worlds.

You've got better vision that I do. I play satisfactory at 90-120fps and its smooth as butter to me.
 
I think if more people realized what it was and how it benefits games there would be a higher demand for it. Clear motion is just something you have to experience to know what all the hype is about.

I personally think there's not a big need for it anymore and we should just aim for higher Hz. BFI on the CX allows you achieve ~300Hz motion clarity while only needing to maintain 120fps @ 120Hz. With Multi Frame Gen becoming a thing, one could achieve 500Hz motion clarity with 4x frame gen multiplier while needing to maintain a similar base frame rate of 125fps. So you could achieve superior motion clarity to the CX while getting to keep the full brightness performance of the panel. Next gen consoles adopting frame gen tech could lead to TV's pushing for higher Hz once new HDMI specs come out as well.
 
I personally think there's not a big need for it anymore and we should just aim for higher Hz. BFI on the CX allows you achieve ~300Hz motion clarity while only needing to maintain 120fps @ 120Hz. With Multi Frame Gen becoming a thing, one could achieve 500Hz motion clarity with 4x frame gen multiplier while needing to maintain a similar base frame rate of 125fps. So you could achieve superior motion clarity to the CX while getting to keep the full brightness performance of the panel. Next gen consoles adopting frame gen tech could lead to TV's pushing for higher Hz once new HDMI specs come out as well.
I guess I would have to see frame generation to appreciate it.
 
Yep, i don't have BFI and am happy as a clam. I just chalk it up to ignorance is bliss.
Worry not. BFI even on LG CX which has by far the best implementation adds frame of lag.
So you trade motion clarity for lag and much lower brightness.

In some games it is a very good compromise. In most 3D games it is imho not.
 
You've got better vision that I do. I play satisfactory at 90-120fps and its smooth as butter to me.
With VRR it is smooth at that frame rate to me too. It just isn't super clear in motion like it would be with BFI.
 
I personally think there's not a big need for it anymore and we should just aim for higher Hz. BFI on the CX allows you achieve ~300Hz motion clarity while only needing to maintain 120fps @ 120Hz. With Multi Frame Gen becoming a thing, one could achieve 500Hz motion clarity with 4x frame gen multiplier while needing to maintain a similar base frame rate of 125fps. So you could achieve superior motion clarity to the CX while getting to keep the full brightness performance of the panel. Next gen consoles adopting frame gen tech could lead to TV's pushing for higher Hz once new HDMI specs come out as well.
No such high frame rate displays exist in 4K last I heard. Also Frame Generation and OLED Motion Pro work great together. (Using it for path traced Cyberpunk, which is awesome.)
 
Worry not. BFI even on LG CX which has by far the best implementation adds frame of lag.
So you trade motion clarity for lag and much lower brightness.

In some games it is a very good compromise. In most 3D games it is imho not.
For those wanting something that much closer to CRT like myself it's a lifeboat for now.
 
No such high frame rate displays exist in 4K last I heard. Also Frame Generation and OLED Motion Pro work great together. (Using it for path traced Cyberpunk, which is awesome.)

Not yet at least, but there's already 500Hz 1440p OLEDs so it's only a matter of time. But even a 360Hz 4K OLED should be superior to the CX in motion clarity when running at 360fps which you can achieve with a base frame rate of 90 and 4x frame gen so technically that's even easier to drive than 120fps BFI. And of course you will take no brightness penalty for it.
 
Not yet at least, but there's already 500Hz 1440p OLEDs so it's only a matter of time. But even a 360Hz 4K OLED should be superior to the CX in motion clarity when running at 360fps which you can achieve with a base frame rate of 90 and 4x frame gen so technically that's even easier to drive than 120fps BFI. And of course you will take no brightness penalty for it.
Agree. Anything over about 294-300 Hz. (If you have a 5090 anyway...)
 
For those wanting something that much closer to CRT like myself it's a lifeboat for now.
Viewsonic XG-2431 with a custom vblank tune looks as clear as CRT at 85hz. I haven't actually measured the MPRT but I'd wager it's around 1ms or so. I think it may have even been a little clearer than the FW900 because the FW900 has a little longer-persistence phosphor trail that the Viewsonic doesn't have. And did I mention no crosstalk at that refresh? It only works for PC's though because you have to tune the vblank to eliminate the crosstalk.

But it's a 1080p, 24 inch IPS screen. So poopoo contrast, small image, and lower res. But damn that motion clarity though.
 
You could literally say the same thing about 240Hz. "It's the same thing but more frames". It isn't just brighter for the sake of being brighter, colors POP way more than they ever would on the CX. 240Hz is something that's been around for many years already so most likely you've experienced it in some other display and more or less know what to expect and that it's a solid upgrade over 120Hz. But when it comes to HDR, there has not been a single OLED that could do over 2000 nits peak brightness while maintaining great color volume until this year so you haven't seen just how big of a difference it makes.
It's about the overall upgrade. I'd want improvements on most areas, considering 8K is not realistic.
 
It's about the overall upgrade. I'd want improvements on most areas, considering 8K is not realistic.

Fair enough. It just sounded like you were writing off HDR performance as an insignificant upgrade but to me the HDR experience is a massive, in fact it's probably the number one reason why I now purchase a new display so I value upgrades in HDR just as much as I do with refresh rate. If new TV next year was 240Hz but offered zero improvements to HDR over my S95F then I wouldn't even bother upgrading at all.
 
The motion clarity on my 480hz PG32UCDP is unreal. I never used BFI much on the CX because it dimmed the screen a lot, which I found quite distracting.

On QD-OLED, the raised black is a thing but it's nowhere near as bad as IPS. I'd say it's not even really noticeable day to day unless you're sensitive to it. I had a FO32U2P for a while and was never bothered by it, despite having a deep dislike for IPS due to this issue (I always used VA panels until OLED, apart from the NEC 20WGX2 which had a polarizer and is probably still the best IPS monitor ever made...).

Anyways S95F has come out here today with 500 in cashback/gift card, so same price as the G5. Decisions, lol. Leaning towards G5 simply because of better OS and Vincent seems to like it more over S95F. But I do really like QD-OLED colors over WOLED especially for gaming...
 
The raised black issue doesn't happen in a dark/light controlled room though, there QD-OLED just reigns supreme.

I didn't mind the brightness drop of BFI but lack of VRR means you need to have enough performance headroom and to setup scanline sync to get a low-lag buttery-smooth picture, which is a hassle and not even possible in all games, especially modern, demanding ones. I know I won't miss the feature when I upgrade.

I do love gaming on the 360hz 1440p QD-OLED, but 27" feels minuscule and I can only bear that size for some competitive online games with low settings. 32" is better, but still not nearly enough for me. The ultra wide 45" panel released recently is kinda interesting, but that's losing height and for games that don't support ultra wide it ends up delivering a small picture too. Heck even movies and series often end up smaller on that format.
 
On QD-OLED, the raised black is a thing but it's nowhere near as bad as IPS. I'd say it's not even really noticeable day to day unless you're sensitive to it. I had a FO32U2P for a while and was never bothered by it, despite having a deep dislike for IPS due to this issue (I always used VA panels until OLED, apart from the NEC 20WGX2 which had a polarizer and is probably still the best IPS monitor ever made...).
Nope, HP DreamColor LP2480zx is the best monitor of this type ever made. Read with A-TW polarizer.
Also had RGB-IPS backlight which could adjust whitepoint along with blackpoint all at once without reducing contrast and had basically QD-OLED colors but a bit better. Except for contrast ratio of course.
But the best thing about these monitors is they had some flaw in sensor in the panel and you could grab them for extremely cheap and later just calibrate with HP probe and had perfectly working 1920x1200 monitor that while not good for gaming did support refresh rates from about 47Hz to 61Hz so I was able to use it to e.g. watch 50Hz videos without stuttering.

I always wanted to convert it to gaming/strobing monitor by putting different lagless scaler and controlling backlight with ucontroller and correcting gamut via GPU
Never got to it though and today it is kinda irrelevant having 360Hz QD-OLED.
I mean backlight strobing needs to also add lag so DLSS4 FG/MFG not reducing lag but incresing it slightly and needing running basically fixed refresh rate because OLED flickers isn't such a bad issue in comparison. Only something like 60fps games cannot be fixed by frame gen but then again I have CRTs for that.

Anyways S95F has come out here today with 500 in cashback/gift card, so same price as the G5. Decisions, lol. Leaning towards G5 simply because of better OS and Vincent seems to like it more over S95F. But I do really like QD-OLED colors over WOLED especially for gaming...
Let me help you with your hard 'decisions'...
1746617983791.png

The panel at the top is LG G5 and at the bottom some QD-OLED
Still wanna buy G5? 😋
 
Let me help you with your hard 'decisions'...
View attachment 728443
The panel at the top is LG G5 and at the bottom some QD-OLED
Still wanna buy G5? 😋

You can do better than showing some random pictures that aren't even taken of the same spot/angle/zoom. Here's a video showing the problem in an actual game:


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cc1rklZqc

I just checked AVSForum again and looks like the problems have not yet been fixed. Even more glad I went the S95F now.

1746637009103.png
 
ive had a CX since launch but and to put it in the bedroom but i cant decide if i should get a C4 or S90D, the S90D is a lot brighter but ive seen some complaints about signal dropouts and vrr flicker at 144Hz is it really that bad? i never noticed flicker at all on the CX so maybe the C4 is a safe choice?
 
ive had a CX since launch but and to put it in the bedroom but i cant decide if i should get a C4 or S90D, the S90D is a lot brighter but ive seen some complaints about signal dropouts and vrr flicker at 144Hz is it really that bad? i never noticed flicker at all on the CX so maybe the C4 is a safe choice?

Depending on which size of the S90D you get, it won't be any brighter than the C4 since it will be using a WOLED panel which are the 42 and 48 inch sizes S90D. You have to get a 55 inch or larger to get a QD OLED panel which will be a lot brighter than the C series.
 
Just checked my C1. No soul crushing advance of dead pixels as of yet. 3440 hour count though. Might still be early days I guess...
 
So, I finally upgraded my 48CX to a lovely 42" C5!

Nothing wrong with the 48CX, it's been fantastic from the get-go and will now make a nice guest bedroom television in its second life. My only complaints about it were the size (I'd preferred 39-40" 4K as my sweet spot with the 48 being just a bit too large for my desk and setup) and brightness being servicable but not amazing. The C5 nicely addresses both of these things and certain aspects feel like nice upgrades aka it syncs to the PC signal much faster, that sort of thing. I hate the endless excess smart TV noise and constant reminders to accept various agreements, terms & conditions etc., so I'm going to have to spend some time securing or locking down this thing once updated etc.

It appears to auto default to Dolby Vision with my RTX4090, not sure yet if I like that, as the image feels a bit wonky at the moment. Could be a Windows 11 thing. I also connected with my Macbook Pro and the image was superlative, so I probably have some HDR fiddling to do.
 
So, I finally upgraded my 48CX to a lovely 42" C5!

Nothing wrong with the 48CX, it's been fantastic from the get-go and will now make a nice guest bedroom television in its second life. My only complaints about it were the size (I'd preferred 39-40" 4K as my sweet spot with the 48 being just a bit too large for my desk and setup) and brightness being servicable but not amazing. The C5 nicely addresses both of these things and certain aspects feel like nice upgrades aka it syncs to the PC signal much faster, that sort of thing. I hate the endless excess smart TV noise and constant reminders to accept various agreements, terms & conditions etc., so I'm going to have to spend some time securing or locking down this thing once updated etc.

It appears to auto default to Dolby Vision with my RTX4090, not sure yet if I like that, as the image feels a bit wonky at the moment. Could be a Windows 11 thing. I also connected with my Macbook Pro and the image was superlative, so I probably have some HDR fiddling to do.
How's the TV UI?

After reading https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1748586137 review about the LG G5, I have doubts if my next TV will be a LG OLED at all.

I've been fine with the way the CX works as a smart TV but it seems with WebOS 25 they've removed quick switching inputs via a dedicated button on the remote in favor of having to go to the Home Hub page. Everything else that they've changed is basically to serve you more ads in the various views. I liked that on my CX there's just a small bar at the bottom for switching apps and inputs rather than it taking over the entire screen.
 
Not only that but the latest LG OLED TVs have some dithering artifacts which are noticeable from a computer viewing distance, and according to Rtings and others the HDR10 is broken on the x5 series too. And HDR10 is like... almost all of my HDR content? That will likely be fixed in software though.

So I suppose I will save a bit more and just go for Samsung QD-OLED eventually. 55 is big but I can make it work.
 
How's the TV UI?

After reading https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1748586137 review about the LG G5, I have doubts if my next TV will be a LG OLED at all.

I've been fine with the way the CX works as a smart TV but it seems with WebOS 25 they've removed quick switching inputs via a dedicated button on the remote in favor of having to go to the Home Hub page. Everything else that they've changed is basically to serve you more ads in the various views. I liked that on my CX there's just a small bar at the bottom for switching apps and inputs rather than it taking over the entire screen.
The UI is atrocious - it took me some 5 minutes to figure out how to bypass all the terms & agreements it wanted me to accept and simply set the source to HDMI1.

That said, once I figured out where to do so, the set remembers your last input and it syncs to signal much, much quicker than my CX48 so once I was over that growing pain, it's been very smooth sailing. I'd call the smart tv stuff an annoyance but if you're using this full time as a monitor, then you can ignore all that stuff.
 
Not only that but the latest LG OLED TVs have some dithering artifacts which are noticeable from a computer viewing distance, and according to Rtings and others the HDR10 is broken on the x5 series too. And HDR10 is like... almost all of my HDR content? That will likely be fixed in software though.

So I suppose I will save a bit more and just go for Samsung QD-OLED eventually. 55 is big but I can make it work.
Most likely, yes, but it must be a wicked software bug for LG to still not have fixed it despite all the backlash. If it takes them another 6 months to fix it, hypothetically, then you have 3 months to enjoy your TV in its full glory before the C6/G6 makes it obsolete. LG should really consider moving to a 2-year cadence on TV releases and get everything right instead of rushing a new set out the door every single year, IMO.
 
Not only that but the latest LG OLED TVs have some dithering artifacts which are noticeable from a computer viewing distance, and according to Rtings and others the HDR10 is broken on the x5 series too. And HDR10 is like... almost all of my HDR content? That will likely be fixed in software though.

So I suppose I will save a bit more and just go for Samsung QD-OLED eventually. 55 is big but I can make it work.

It's absolutely doable and absolutely worth it. The upgrade to the HDR experience really is THAT big. Here's a comparison from ClassyTech using the C5 vs S95F and keep in mind the 65 inch C5 is a good deal brighter than a 48 inch CX already (around 1200 nits peak vs 750 nits peak) and look at how the S95F essentially makes the C5 look like SDR by comparison. The leap from a CX would be even greater than this, going from a CX to S95F felt like an even bigger upgrade than going from an LCD to OLED at all.

1748883581801.png

1748883588417.png
 
Yep, there’s a massive difference between the TVs and monitors. I repeat this all the time here but I think it’s worth repeating. Unless you’re absolutely space restricted, or absolutely require a super high refresh rate for competitive online games, make accommodations for the TV.

I will say do what you can to eliminate static elements. Burn-in is still an issue. I babied my 65” S95C but after 2 years I noticed it for the first time at the direct center of the screen. White crosshairs finally degraded those pixels enough to notice. I modded my 77” S89C into what is essentially a S95C and now use that as my primary gaming screen. I’m going to mitigate/eliminate crosshairs as best I can. For those who can’t budget new screens on a semi regular basis, this would be another reason to skip OLED altogether. Personally for me the tradeoff is worth it.
 
Yep, there’s a massive difference between the TVs and monitors. I repeat this all the time here but I think it’s worth repeating. Unless you’re absolutely space restricted, or absolutely require a super high refresh rate for competitive online games, make accommodations for the TV.

I will say do what you can to eliminate static elements. Burn-in is still an issue. I babied my 65” S95C but after 2 years I noticed it for the first time at the direct center of the screen. White crosshairs finally degraded those pixels enough to notice. I modded my 77” S89C into what is essentially a S95C and now use that as my primary gaming screen. I’m going to mitigate/eliminate crosshairs as best I can. For those who can’t budget new screens on a semi regular basis, this would be another reason to skip OLED altogether. Personally for me the tradeoff is worth it.

A lot of today's games give you an option to adjust the UI brightness so crosshairs might fall under that category. I personally turn the UI brightness down to as low as possible for this reason. It's also best to avoid RTX HDR as it has no way of knowing what should be a UI element and tends to just blast those to max brightness which is how my cousin ended up with burn in on his CX after playing FFXIV for about 400-500ish hours. RenoDX is honestly a way better solution than RTX HDR and should be the go to solution as long as the game has support for it, and it also lets you adjust the UI brightness from it's settings.
 
A few days into owning the C5, I'm so far disappointed. The display is dull, sometimes much darker than the 48CX it replaces, and I think this is not a panel issue but a software issue. I can't tell if it's my choice of display settings, Windows color management being hot garbage even today, or some combination of the two, but the picture quality is often dull. Further, it seems to dim quickly - as an example, I'll switch to vivid looking for punch, everything brightens up on a normal desktop setting, then over the next 2-3 minutes the display will slowly but steadily dim until it looks like the brightness has been cut in half. Go to the menu, switch out of then back to vivid and boom the punch is back. That sort of thing.

I've found that Dolby Vision mode often gets set when the 'Use Dolby Vision mode' setting in Windows is off. You have to turn it on, then off again, to get out of it, otherwise brightness absolutely tanks.

I'll keep working at it, I suspect there's a certain combination of settings that's the sweet spot here because this display should be outperforming the 48CX rather handily.

The settings UI is slow - a step backward from the much older 48CX that was much more responsive. Ironically the television settings UI reminds me a bit of Windows 95 on underpowered hardware. Everything takes a second to respond.

On a brighter note, I absolutely love the display sync speed. The 48CX and frankly other conventional monitors I've used in recent years often take up to several seconds to sync to a display signal. This thing lights up a 4k/144hz/HDR signal in less than a second. It's nice.
 
With a normal display you get sample and hold motion blur from fast motion.

If you look at this https://www.testufo.com/framerates-versus there is text over each of those characters and you can't really read it as it scrolls by. If you had BFI you would be able to easily read the text.

When your display is showing something moving it's showing it in one spot, then it nearly instantly teleports to the next spot. Your eyes and brain add blur to this unnatural movement. BFI solves this by flashing each frame then just showing black inbetween, your eyes and brain naturally handle this and everything is clear.

For whatever reasons very few displays have BFI and almost none have simultaneous BFI VRR.

If you don't have VRR you need to maintain a constant 120 FPS to get smooth motion and have BFI work well, which isn't really possible unless you're playing an old game or on low settings. That's not really worth it to me so I always choose VRR. If BFI worked with VRR you could get the best of both worlds.

I haven't really messed with BFI much due to the fact that it's a pain to activate. Gotta open game optimizer, disable boost mode, disable VRR, click the BFI menu option, toggle it on, then select one of low/med/high. Is there a way to set up profiles or something such that I can switch between VRR and BFI modes in one click?
 
I haven't really messed with BFI much due to the fact that it's a pain to activate. Gotta open game optimizer, disable boost mode, disable VRR, click the BFI menu option, toggle it on, then select one of low/med/high. Is there a way to set up profiles or something such that I can switch between VRR and BFI modes in one click?

No idea, I don't use it either because I don't want to give up VRR. If it was just a one button thing or something I would probably use it on old games where I can get an easy 120 fps.
 
And LG is still releasing firmware for the CX.

04.63.15​


Can't find any info yet.
 
I'm guessing security updates for the OS or something like that, nothing relevant for me who doesn't have the TV connected to any network. And I've not had any bug with it in forever, but then it's just a PC monitor for me.
 
Back
Top