Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

Man I'm getting a decent amount of problems when I put my laptop to sleep, and then want to wake it up again. Getting a lot of issues with the monitor not recognizing a signal..... Wondering if it will be better when I connect via HDMI, but I also hear from here that the HDMI image quality isn't as good.

Argh, I hope I don't end up having.... how you say..... the buyer's remorse.

Just received a brand new unit from newegg.com today. However, the box and manual says 170/160 view angle / 700:1 contrast / 5ms response.

Newegg hasn't stocked this model for a while, so this batch is probably newly manufactured. So I wonder if this is still just the old box / manual thing or Westinghouse are now shipping TN panels?

There is no manufacturing date on the LCD. Would some owners who have the correct box / manual run "astra32" and let me know their panel type?

Thanks a lot.

If you are looking to see if it's a TN panel, there is a very easy and simple test:

View it from below and if it does not darken significantly, the monitor is still the CMO S-MVA panel used in previous iterations.

Judging from those specs though, it may be TN. The original S-MVA is 8ms and 176/176 I believe. I can check my box for you. Is it still the blue and white one?

They used to have the manufacturing date on the bar code label that has the serial number as well. For example my unit was manufactured 2007-07-31.

Regards,

10e

Just received a brand new unit from newegg.com today. However, the box and manual says 170/160 view angle / 700:1 contrast / 5ms response.

Newegg hasn't stocked this model for a while, so this batch is probably newly manufactured. So I wonder if this is still just the old box / manual thing or Westinghouse are now shipping TN panels?

There is no manufacturing date on the LCD. Would some owners who have the correct box / manual run "astra32" and let me know their panel type?

Thanks a lot.

I'll try that later tonight. My unit has no manufacturing date on the serial number label. And I can't find it anywhere else.

The boxes are identical (blue print on white). The spec reflects TN panel, but many here have stated that Westinghouse is just reusing some old boxes. Well, in my case, I wonder why a new batch from newegg would be using old boxes.

If you are looking to see if it's a TN panel, there is a very easy and simple test:

View it from below and if it does not darken significantly, the monitor is still the CMO S-MVA panel used in previous iterations.

Judging from those specs though, it may be TN. The original S-MVA is 8ms and 176/176 I believe. I can check my box for you. Is it still the blue and white one?

They used to have the manufacturing date on the bar code label that has the serial number as well. For example my unit was manufactured 2007-07-31.

Regards,

10e

Initially there was a lot of confusion concerning whether the original units were S-MVA or TN, but ultimately they were S-MVA, and most people have been happy.

I actually think this is one of the better 24" multi-functional monitors around.

Enjoy

I'll try that later tonight. My unit has no manufacturing date on the serial number label. And I can't find it anywhere else.

The boxes are identical (blue print on white). The spec reflects TN panel, but many here have stated that Westinghouse is just reusing some old boxes. Well, in my case, I wonder why a new batch from newegg would be using old boxes.

I bought mine from neweggg open box and am so far very happy with it. The only down side I can see with the monitor is that is runs a little on the hot side but I don't have much to compare it too so maybe they are all this hot.

So, I think I've been having the same overheating problems that have been described in the last few pages of this thread. Really really disappointing.

Can anyone tell me how to take this mother apart?

I bought mine last December and got a DVI-HDMI cable from monoprice. But now I'm having some problem with the HDMI connection. The video is fine when the computer is first turned on, I can see boot screen and the windows logo animation. But it seems the moment windows loads the desktop, the screen goes blank.

I can only use VGA now, but it looks so blurry compared to HDMI.

Is this a problem with the monitor or windows?

Ahh, today I hooked up my Wii to this monitor via component. Weak the Wii doesn't output a real hdtv 480p image, its just a 480x480 image but squished so that when your tv stretches it to 16:9 it appears to be that. I was expecting 853 x 480 resolution. And since this monitor has true 1:1, the image shows up 4:3 but squished horizontally. I guess I'll just have to live with using the "full" mode on this monitor, but it'll be stretched a bit vertically from 16:9 to 16:10. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Or is there any solution to this? I dont think so. Or am I sh*t outta luck?

Also about the flickering, I found the problem.

I was using a cheap HDMI cord, it was not rated for high temperatures. Which is bad since this monitor gets fairly hot, exspecially the hdmi input. Next time you use your monitor for a long while take out the hdmi cord and it'll be hot. Well I sprung for a better, slightly more expensive Belkin HDMI cord rated for 80 degrees Celsius, which is much higher than my old hdmi cord, which I still use, but on my samsung HDM, which the hdmi input does not get hot. I have only had one or two flickers, but that may have just been my PS3/360 doing something or some other isolated case. But I have not experienced that flicker on and off, and then increasing in frequency and then no signal at all type of incident, since I upgraded hdmi cables.

Man I'm getting a decent amount of problems when I put my laptop to sleep, and then want to wake it up again. Getting a lot of issues with the monitor not recognizing a signal..... Wondering if it will be better when I connect via HDMI, but I also hear from here that the HDMI image quality isn't as good.

Argh, I hope I don't end up having.... how you say..... the buyer's remorse.

I haven't had any problems with my Macbook via VGA, I was having a problem when using it on my xp partition. When my macbook/xp went to sleep, the monitor never recognized that the macbook turned back on and then it just said to put the resolution at 1920x1200 which I had it at and it was working fine before. But I solved that...somehow, just fiddled around with the xp settings and it works ok now.

I had a problem with my HDMI port turning everything pink. I RMA'd it, but from what I've read I could be getting some crap back. I'll let you know 1) How the RMA process goes and 2) what I get back from them. I loved this monitor and I hope to continue to.

Funny. I tried the HDMI connection today and it works now. I guess this is because the HDMI is too hot?

I don't mean to frighten you, but mine got better for a little while too before it went. It would do random screen shutoffs and stay pink after a few restarts, but then it worked fine up until the "day of great pinkness."

Called Westinghouse today and my RMA is just waiting on a tracking number. That sounds a little fishy to me, but I'll probably call back tomorrow or the next day. After what I've read bugging them may be the way to go.

I've had my l2410nm for a few months, and just built a new computer running an ATI HD 4850 on Vista x64. I'm having an odd problem that seems to relate to the DVI vs. HDMI issue mentioned in other parts of this thread. (Forgive me if this exact thing has already been brought up -- I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread yet.)

I'm hooking it up to the video card with an HDMI cable and the DVI-HDMI adapter included with the card. In summary, whenever the I change resolutions, the monitor detects it as a HDMI source, not a DVI source, and the text is all blurry and gives me a headache etc. etc. After some investigation, it seems to break down as following:

1. When the computer boots and the first BIOS screens are shown at 800x600, the OSD shows it as DVI.
2. When the display changes to 1920x1200 and displays the login screen, it shows it as HDMI, and I have no way of getting it to change to DVI.
3. Once I've logged in, it still shows HDMI. At this point, if I turn the monitor off and on, or if I switch through the inputs til it loops around to HDMI, the OSD will now show it as DVI and everything looks fine.
4. If I change resolutions, it will switch to HDMI again and look crummy, but the same method as above will make it go back to DVI.

The strange thing to me is that, as I mentioned above, I can't get it to switch to DVI using that method on the Vista login screen, not until I've actually gone and logged in. Does this strike anyone as something that can simply be resolved by a different DVI-HDMI adapter or an actual DVI-HDMI cable, or is it more likely a driver issue I should take up with ATI? For now, I have to use VGA, which looks fine from the start.

Been using mine ~14 hours a day for the past 4.5 months and it's been awesome. Mine's an MVA and the picture quality is stunning (DVI -> HDMI). I use it to play my PS3 as well (via HDMI).

No problems whatsoever that were the monitor's fault (I had image dropping issues, but I'm 99.99999% sure it was my cheap HDMI switch as I haven't gotten any momentary blank screens since I took it out of connection).

Best money I ever spent.

Never use that piece of $h1t dongle that comes with the ATI card. It is garbage.

Never, ever, ever use it. Not with the Westy, Samsung or LG TVs or anything else that can do 1080p or higher.

If there was a shadow of a doubt.

DON'T EVER use it. It's no good. It sucks and it is trash and crap all rolled into a neat little hunk of plastic, metal, and rubber. :)

Sorry for the aggressive tone, but it really does suck [h]ard.

Use a decent quality HDMI to DVI cable and all these problems should disappear.

I got these issues when using it, with ALL monitors and TVs:

1) Weird multi colored noise around non-cleartype text
2) Generally bluriness
3) Weird red dots with my old ATI card when using port 2 of the card (port furthest from motherboard)
4) Some weird dots that showed up as vertical lines up and down the screen.

I've had my l2410nm for a few months, and just built a new computer running an ATI HD 4850 on Vista x64. I'm having an odd problem that seems to relate to the DVI vs. HDMI issue mentioned in other parts of this thread. (Forgive me if this exact thing has already been brought up -- I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread yet.)

I'm hooking it up to the video card with an HDMI cable and the DVI-HDMI adapter included with the card. In summary, whenever the I change resolutions, the monitor detects it as a HDMI source, not a DVI source, and the text is all blurry and gives me a headache etc. etc. After some investigation, it seems to break down as following:

1. When the computer boots and the first BIOS screens are shown at 800x600, the OSD shows it as DVI.
2. When the display changes to 1920x1200 and displays the login screen, it shows it as HDMI, and I have no way of getting it to change to DVI.
3. Once I've logged in, it still shows HDMI. At this point, if I turn the monitor off and on, or if I switch through the inputs til it loops around to HDMI, the OSD will now show it as DVI and everything looks fine.
4. If I change resolutions, it will switch to HDMI again and look crummy, but the same method as above will make it go back to DVI.

The strange thing to me is that, as I mentioned above, I can't get it to switch to DVI using that method on the Vista login screen, not until I've actually gone and logged in. Does this strike anyone as something that can simply be resolved by a different DVI-HDMI adapter or an actual DVI-HDMI cable, or is it more likely a driver issue I should take up with ATI? For now, I have to use VGA, which looks fine from the start.

I have been fighting with this screen being stuck in crazy mode like you describe. However your solutions don't work for me for some reason. I have tried 2 MSI 9600gt and get this on both of them. Also I would point out that in 1600x1200 the screen insists on filling widescreen even when it's set to normal. On the 7900gs this doesn't happen (i played old games in that mode with the 7900gs). The screen works flawlessly with both an egva 7900gs and a bfg 6800 using the same DVI-HDMI cable. I have RMA'd my MSI card with newegg for a refund and I'm getting a Palit 9600gt with both HDMI and DVI on the actual card itself. It's the only 9600gt i have been able to find with actual HDMI outputs and not some stupid converter. I will keep you posted if it works :eek:

It looks like Newegg has new stock on "the real thing"? Says 176/176 and 8ms, and it's $399.

I'm lucky, having bought it at Sams Club, if it craps out I can just get my $$ back anytime. But so far the only issue is the blacking out from the hot HDMI connection.

Where can yoou get one of those high temp "Belkin" cables?

Been using mine ~14 hours a day for the past 4.5 months and it's been awesome. Mine's an MVA and the picture quality is stunning (DVI -> HDMI). I use it to play my PS3 as well (via HDMI).

No problems whatsoever that were the monitor's fault (I had image dropping issues, but I'm 99.99999% sure it was my cheap HDMI switch as I haven't gotten any momentary blank screens since I took it out of connection).

Best money I ever spent.

And now it's dropping like crazy today. WTF?

Overheating maybe? hmm.

only issue I've been having is the HDMI acting up, but when I switch to the DSUB connection there is no problem. I'm thinking it is heat related as well, when i pull out the HDMI cable the metal is HOT.

That doesn't sound right to me.

There is a cover on the monitor that shields the connectors and inside of it is the actual mount for the stand. Try taking it off by pulling up on it gently and out, see if that helps.

I don't remember mine heating up input connectors that much at any point in time.

only issue I've been having is the HDMI acting up, but when I switch to the DSUB connection there is no problem. I'm thinking it is heat related as well, when i pull out the HDMI cable the metal is HOT.

Yeah, the tip of my HDMI cable is f'ing hot if I unplug it.

It's about as hot as all of the heat coming out of the top of my monitor.

The HDMI plug is blazing hot for me as well. I even put a fan near it to get some airflow around it, but it is scalding hot still.

The HDMI plug is pretty warm on mine too. I wouldn't say its scalding though, it's certainly not too hot too keep touching. This could be the cause of the flashing I'd guess. Probably would be a good idea to stick a fan blowing on that part of the monitor, down into the top where the heat is coming from and see if it helps.

Well I'm on my 3rd 9600gt and this time it's a Palit card and neither DVI nor HDMI produce a correct image. funny thing is that it looks great until the Nvidia drivers get installed. With the "standard vga controller" driver that Vista installs it looks perfect. However this monitor works perfectly with Nvidia drivers when connected to a bfg 6800 and evga 7900gs. I have no idea how to fix this...:(

I didn't have these problems with 3870 or 3870x2 cards, nor 8800GTS cards on this screen. 1600x1200 worked properly as long as the card is set to "use my displays built in scaling" or "Do not scale" as did 1920x1080 from my vid cards.

You are running the monitor in "aspect" mode correct? Ie. it didn't get changed while you were troubleshooting within the monitors OSD?

Well I'm on my 3rd 9600gt and this time it's a Palit card and neither DVI nor HDMI produce a correct image. funny thing is that it looks great until the Nvidia drivers get installed. With the "standard vga controller" driver that Vista installs it looks perfect. However this monitor works perfectly with Nvidia drivers when connected to a bfg 6800 and evga 7900gs. I have no idea how to fix this...:(

You are running the monitor in "aspect" mode correct? Ie. it didn't get changed while you were troubleshooting within the monitors OSD?

Well it "looks" like the driver is using "use my displays built-in scaling" the scaling options are greyed out but the dot is in that one. I have tried changing the OSD between "Normal" and "Full" but it looks exactly the same. It says it is running native 1920x1200. I have also tried 16bit color instead of 32 and the weirdness gets even more pronounced when using 16bit color. I have also tried switching use has HDTV option on and off and it doesn't do anything different either. 1080i/p mode also gives the same effect.
:confused::confused::confused:
Could someone please go into their nvidia control panel > Manage custom resolutions > Create > Advanced and tell me what what is in there for all those automatic clock timings? I am thinking the clocks are wrong and thats why it looks bad.

I just popped in my 7900gs to get the clocks off that one and it uses the same clocks as the 9600gt. I really dont know what to think at this point, is it a driver problem? Is it a firmware problem? Monitor? I just cant figure this one out. :confused:

Yes, I said it a while ago that the black screen/flickering problem was the HDMI cables fault. Solution, get one that is rated at 80 degrees C pr above. I had a cheap one, off of amazon ($3) but then got a $20 belkin one rated at 80 degrees C and no flickering since, as I said before. So people saying that the cheap- ones are just as good as the expensive ones are full of shit.

Its more like Cheap HDMI<Moderately priced HDMI=Monster cable

Yes, I said it a while ago that the black screen/flickering problem was the HDMI cables fault. Solution, get one that is rated at 80 degrees C pr above. I had a cheap one, off of amazon ($3) but then got a $20 belkin one rated at 80 degrees C and no flickering since, as I said before. So people saying that the cheap- ones are just as good as the expensive ones are full of shit.

I can use the same 6 foot $29 radio shack hdmi cable with a dvi to hdmi converter, and also i can use a cheap linkdepot dvi->hdmi cable with both a 6800 and 7900gs and it works just fine. Only happens on every 9600gt I try (so far 3). Is it that the 9600gt is running in a special new output mode that the older cards are not? Shouldnt i just be able to change a setting somewhere to get it to output in an older mode?

My problem isnt black/flickering, i have text that looks like its being scaled and colors look all wrong and inconsistent bleeding into each other. Frankly it gives me a headache just trying to look at the screen. :(

Found the solution! Apparently it is buried somewhere on the nvidia forums somewhere. Basically the driver refuses to stop treating the LCD as a HDTV, even though i turned it off in the control panel! Here is the solution basically:

I've discovered a workaround for this problem. Basically you can use a registry key to override the monitor advertising itself as an HDTV (by setting the number of EDID extensions to 0). Using the following steps, I am now getting proper 1920x1200 resolution on my LG monitor:

1. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
2. Open nv_disp.inf. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25
3. In the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section add the following:
CODE
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

NOTE
The first 4 bytes (1E,6D,3E,56) in my OverrideEdidFlags0 are specific to the LG monitor I'm using. For other monitors, you will need to replace them. Using Phoenix EDID Designer (Google it), extract the current EDID and open up the byte viewer. The bytes are in byte 8 through 11.

4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot
5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

key for this westinghouse L2410nm monitor was
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 5C,85,80,51,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

Damnit, I don't wanna buy a new one. This $10 off Newegg should work fine (you'd think). :(

I'm just worried about blowing $25 on a new one and it doing no good.

I just had a moment of fear, I turned on my monitor and I was getting noise all over the picture with oscillating horizontal lines from the HDMI connection.

I turned the monitor off, and on again and then it was fixed.

I have link depot and it works. I have tried many times to notice the difference between 50 dolla cables and 10 dolla ones and I can't.

Found the solution! Apparently it is buried somewhere on the nvidia forums somewhere. Basically the driver refuses to stop treating the LCD as a HDTV, even though i turned it off in the control panel! Here is the solution basically:

key for this westinghouse L2410nm monitor was
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 5C,85,80,51,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

I owe you a beer dude; that same problem had been pissing me off since I got my 9600.

i've had the same hdmi blacking-out issue as some other people here. first occurence didn't happen til about 3 or so months after i had gotten my monitor from newegg, but in the last two months, it happened with such increasing frequency and longer durations that it got extremely annoying to play my ps3 on.

i tried two different hdmi cables from monoprice, and it didn't make a difference. i noticed that some people here mentioned belkin cables rated at 80 degrees C, but those monoprice cables i have are rated the same. i finally RMA'ed it to westinghouse, and just got my replacement last night - i've had one (brief) blackout within the first 10 hours of use, which is not a promising sign.

i'm also fairly certain the problem is not my ps3, because the monitor backlight actually goes out during the blackout, not the no-signal blue. speaking of which, i also had an occurence on my first monitor where it did go blue for an extended period of time, where it wouldn't detect any signal.

so, for those who've say they solved their blackout problems by blowing a fan in, etc. (i have a fan too; didn't seem to help that much), do you know what your ambient room temperature is? mine's around 75 - 80 degrees F usually, and there should be plenty of room for air circulation around my monitor. i'm not so sure it's a overheating problem either, since the connector on my hdmi cable doesn't seem hot, but just warm.

it's a shame that the L2410NM has such problems, because it's such a great display otherwise. i'm waiting to see if it gets worse as before, and then RMA'ing it again if i have to, before the new 6 months warranty-from-replacement-date is up.

What is interesting is that with my first 9600GT i had those blanking problems also. Colors were correct just a black black screen occasionally and it got worse over time. Screen looked like the monitor is off but the power light is still on. The 2nd and 3rd 9600gt's gave me the bleeding colors and scaled text and no blanking. I believe it is an inherent flaw in the monitors HDMI connection and the way that it broadcasts its EDID information incorrectly to the device using it. Interestingly after I posted this fix info on newegg as a product review 3 days later the monitor went out of stock... Perhaps newegg is having too many rma's on this? As I speak after applying that registry hack my monitor is still working perfect and I haven't had any blanking.

Right now I'm having black-out or signal loss issues with this LCD. Using VGA and I notice it usually only happens when I watch a video on Youtube. Tried two different cards and the same thing happens for a few seconds. Had it for about 6 months now and only now as it been kind of frequent. Dont know what to make of it as it only happens when watching youtube. Anyone?:confused:

LiquidX if you have an nvidia card try that nvidia driver hack that I used. I would be interested to see if it works for your problem on the vga interface also. I know that vga also uses edid info like dvi and hdmi. EDID is part of the VESA standard which has been used for a long time in CRT's and LCD's. Here are updated fix instructions for the L2410nm:

1. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted

2. Open nv_disp.inf in notepad. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\175.19

3. In the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section add the following line:

NOTE
The first 4 bytes (5C,85,80,51) in my OverrideEdidFlags0 are specific to the Westinghouse L2410nm monitor I'm using. For other monitors, you will need to replace them. Using Phoenix EDID Designer (Google it), extract the current EDID and open up the byte viewer. The bytes are in byte 8 through 11.

4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot

5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\175.19. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

Back