Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Silicon Lottery.

tbh its very safe and easy to do even with gorilla hands if you have a tool to do it with but if your just looking for a one time delid and done SL is your safest bet.

Sweet ill have to go look at prices and stuff. Cause if they fuck up the delid do they replace the CPU. Either thanks for the heads up.

Silicon Lottery will do it but it is so easy... If you've ever put together a model car without destroying the kit, you can delid the CPU. If you're worried about the liquid metal shorting something out, just use Noctua regular thermal paste!

5ghz at what voltage?

I just used the Asus z370-I board's stock OC for now to get me going. I think it's around 1.35V gotta check... I'll eventually mess around with voltages and see if I can get the volts a little lower and the speed a little higher but for now this speed does absolutely everything I need it to do so not really unhappy with it at all!

LLC is broken on some ASUS Z370's. Don't buy until they release a bios fix.
The Hero and Apex boards seem fine. But the Strix/ROGs are having problems.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_z370_strix_e_and_strix_f_review/14

If we can use some sporting metaphors here it is the equivalent of dribbling around the keeper and then putting it wide. Or doing a Deshaun Jackson and dropping it before you've reached the endzone. We'll cut to the chase. The loadline calibration doesn't work. At all.

For those of you unaware, loadline calibration is one of those vital tools that has been part of motherboards for almost as long as we can remember. It helps ensure that the voltage you see in the BIOS is the one that appears on the CPU. Whether under loading or idling it saves you from voltage droop. This is hugely important. If a voltage is shown as, for example, 1.3v in the BIOS and you know that's the limit of your particular CPU then you can safely use it. However, if there is some voltage droop under loading it might drop down to 1.25v or similar, so your overclock would fail. You could, theoretically although we don't advise it, make a mental note of that droop and thus put 1.35v into your CPU in the BIOS knowing it will droop to your limit of 1.3v when actually under load. So far so safe. But then when the load is removed it pops back up to 1.35v and starts murdering your CPU. This is where loadline calibration comes in. It stops that happening. What you see is what you get.

So when the Strix LLC was borked on both motherboards we did what we always do in such circumstances and got in touch with ASUS to let them know. They showed no interest at all in fixing the issue. Normally they are extremely helpful and fast at getting new BIOS up that fix the issue. The only correspondence we have had is informing us how the LLC has different levels and how to change it. It was such a generic support desk reply it proved they had not even bothered checking the boards at all. This is made yet worse by the fact we know SI's have also been reporting the same issue and yet again, there doesn't seem to be any urgency.

So for the first time in as long as we remember - possibly since the birth of this site - we have to say that we just cannot in good conscience recommend you purchase the Strix E or F in their current state. At all. Any of the other ASUS motherboards are fine, and indeed worthy of purchase, which makes the flaws in this one seem even starker and more frustrating. Nobody wants to run their CPU without the slightest idea of how many volts are pumping through it, which is how things are here. Agonisingly ASUS have demonstrated they know how to sort out LLC because the Maximus X is fine. No issues at all.

God you peope cant wait a few more weeks to have gobs of stock to trial and error on OCing. You MUST have an 1100 dollar 300 dollar chip lmao literally hahah

For what its worth its [H] but still stupid.

If it was like 5 or 600 and available on next day Prime I'd probably do it, but 1100 bucks in Germany = no thanks.

That would be the HSF I would >>least<< advise to use, as it uses massively more than the Intel allowed clamping pressure.

You WILL do noticeable warping of your CPU package/motherboard.

It also comes with sleeve bearing fans, so plan on having to replace them within 1-3 years.

It would be MUCH safer for you to simply delid your CPU instead of using such massively out of spec mounting pressure as the Scythe Fuma uses.

Skylake and onwards have even weaker CPU packages than the ones that came before, so this is extremely important to note.

Thank you for the heads up. I really like the price of those. And those will get me sufficient cooling for 5Ghz(ideally) overclock on a 8700k? You noted the case makes a difference. I already have a "Fractal Design Define C"
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352066

Are there any other air coolers you recommend?

Last edited:
I mentioned AMD only because you are accusing Intel of playing dirty on reviews, still you always avoid to mention how dirty AMD plays.

no need to mention AMD when we talking about intel. A person doing bad thing doesnt justify if person B or C do them. two wrongs dont make a right. intel milks, abuse their power, bribe with money, give rebate, we talking only about Intel here. if this comment hurt your intel pride you can simply ignore it.

no need to mention AMD when we talking about intel. A person doing bad thing doesnt justify if person B or C do them. two wrongs dont make a right. intel milks, abuse their power, bribe with money, give rebate, we talking only about Intel here. if this comment hurt your intel pride you can simply ignore it.

You mean they act like a for-profit company, exactly like AMD (or anyone else) would do in their position?

No way!

You mean they act like a for-profit company, exactly like AMD (or anyone else) would do in their position?

No way!

thats right, for profit and turn into complete greed. literally piss away their advantage. good thing i didnt buy their new cpu for 5 yrs since ivy and get milked/ripped off like most people do. got a 1680v2 8 cores and overclock it since, will upgrade when 8 core 10nm+ becomes mainstream.

LOL. If a company does something wrong, then report it. But this is not what happened here. What happened is that certain poster invented an issue about CoffeeLake:

• He pretended that all reviews are wrong because "MCE is used by intel to artificially show performance gains" and said us that "all reviews" would be redone. However, most reviews tested CoffeeLake with MCE disabled, only a pair of reviews didn't know what they were testing.
  • He did claim performance gaps of 20--40% between MCE disabled and enabled. However, the GN review he used measured a 9% gap between MCE enabled and disabled. And the OC3D review I gave measured 11%. Both reviews measured the expected gap (4.7GHz vs 4.3GHz). Note that his claim of 40% higher performance with MCE enabled is only possible if disabling MCE the chip runs at 3.5GHz, which is well below the base clock and plain nonsense.

I mentioned recent AMD lies and dirty tricks because I am tired of double standards and the repetitive attempts to present Intel as an evil company and AMD as a kind of charity.

Last edited:
They pissed away their advantage? Like how their new six-core blows away the competition's eight-core parts?

Lol.

That is just the problem... CoffeeLake is too good. It is much faster, cheaper, and more efficient than top eight-core parts from the competition.

That is just the problem... CoffeeLake is too good. It is much faster, cheaper, and more efficient than top eight-core parts from the competition.

Except you can't buy it anywhere...

For all your talk about CFL not being a response to AMD, it sure seems like this was a rushed launch. Nonsense Z370 chipset that serves no purpose other than a placeholder for Z390 and no supply at launch. Sure seems like this was meant to be a 1H'18 release and AMD forced their hand.

Last edited:
Here we go! A bunch of this stuff just came in. This will become an 8th gen based computer this week. I am excited. i3 8350k for now, I plan to overclock the heck out of it. As soon as 8700k becomes widely available I'm switching it out for one of those. I need some time to get the thing configured for music making anyway. And gaming... Can't forget that part!

Looks like im not the only one who got a 8350k as a place holder, lol.

I wanted the same board but there were none in Europe so i went ATX. Not that it matters as I have an atx case but since ill migrate soon to mITX I wanted to be ready.

Thank you for the heads up. I rea

lly like the price of those. And those will get me sufficient cooling for 5Ghz(ideally) overclock on a 8700k? You noted the case makes a difference. I already have a "Fractal Design Define C"
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352066

Are there any other air coolers you recommend?

If you are using a non-reference GPU in that case, you will need to use at minimum the

Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-True-Spirit-140-Power/dp/B00IYEEOMO/

and you will have to delid your CPU.

Using a non-reference GPU in that case raises the relative temperature of your CPU significantly when running latest prime 95 + furmark simultaneous testing due to that case having subpar airflow.

You will also want to populate all available case fan slots with case fans.

None of the air coolers will likely keep 8700k @ 5.0 ghz fully stable without hitting TJmax when doing proper stress testing of prime 95 + furmark simultaneous testing without delidding in that case when using a high end non-reference GPU.

You can try finagling the testing procedure and/or true stability to try to squeak to your goal, but it is highly unlikely you will reach it without any compromises.

I would suggest looking into skylake/kabylake/coffeelake delidding tools/kits/services if you are uncomfortable with delidding.

You can also use a razor/scalpel and do it yourself, but you will need manual dexterity as well as the CPU not having been compressed down at all before, as the IHS will likely smash the adhesive and lower your tolerances to be able to do so manually after you have installed it and applied sufficient clamping force.

==========================================================================================

Look to this example for guidance:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/7700k-cm-212-prime95-90c.2502350/

Something like that is your likely outcome if you lower any of the cooling parameters, and it also is a person using a subpar cooling performance case akin to your own.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've seen some users on the Noctua aircooler reporting ok temps @ 5GHz already so I wouldn't rule it out. Also what I've seen so far in various forums is that the average Coffee Lake seems to require slightly lower voltage for the same clock speed which gives additional hope (5GHz for example) as Kaby Lake. Best so far I've seen is 8700K 1.26~1.27v stable at 5GHz on air without delid on the Noctua (the very best Kaby Lake requires around 1.29~1.3v for 5GHz). This chip has impressive OC ratio considering it's a hexa-core IMO.

At least I hope to attempt to proof this correct later on my aircooling setup the Noctua alternative from Phanteks TH-TC14PE and using 3x120 intake and 1x140 and 3x120 mm as outtake fans. :p Sure it will require some silicon lottery luck as well as luck in the heatspreader alignment process perhaps if not delidding but yea with the right setup and slight luck I believe 5GHz will be possible on air as well even without delid.

Last edited:
I've seen some users on the Noctua aircooler reporting ok temps @ 5GHz already so I wouldn't rule it out. Also what I've seen so far in various forums is that Coffee Lake seems to require slightly lower voltage for the same clock speed which gives additional hope (5GHz for example) as Kaby Lake. Best so far I've seen is 8700K 1.26~1.27v stable at 5GHz on air without delid on the Noctua (the very best Kaby Lake requires around 1.29~1.3v for 5GHz). This chip has impressive OC ratio considering it's a hexa-core IMO.

At least I hope to attempt to proof this correct later on my aircooling setup the Noctua alternative from Phanteks TH-TC14PE and using 3x120 intake and 1x140 and 3x120 mm as outtake fans. :p Sure it will require some silicon lottery luck as well as luck in the heatspreader alignment process perhaps if not delidding but yea with the right setup and slight luck I believe 5GHz will be possible on air as well.

User reports of this kind have been usually with notoriously sketchy actual stability and/or ability to actually not hit TJmax with maximum stress tests.

Don't bother using any air cooler greater than the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power without first delidding.

You will have to go all the way up to 240-280mm AIO CLC without delidding to bridge the 20+C gap that the user in question will need to deal with the subpar case to start with.

Air coolers have differences in the single digits in cooling performance before delidding when you go above the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power.

They pissed away their advantage? Like how their new six-core blows away the competition's eight-core parts?

Lol.

pissed away the advantage and last min paper launch. nothing to justify going from 4-8 core mainstream in less than 1.5 years mmmm? sounds like intel is in panic mode. well, ultimately they dont care about you, nor your fanbois feelings. they just want your money and they are scared of epyc destroying their biggest money grab in the server space.

LOL. If a company does something wrong, then report it. But this is not what happened here. What happened is that certain poster invented an issue about CoffeeLake:

• He pretended that all reviews are wrong because "MCE is used by intel to artificially show performance gains" and said us that "all reviews" would be redone. However, most reviews tested CoffeeLake with MCE disabled, only a pair of reviews didn't know what they were testing.
  • He did claim performance gaps of 20--40% between MCE disabled and enabled. However, the GN review he used measured a 9% gap between MCE enabled and disabled. And the OC3D review I gave measured 11%. Both reviews measured the expected gap (4.7GHz vs 4.3GHz). Note that his claim of 40% higher performance with MCE enabled is only possible if disabling MCE the chip runs at 3.5GHz, which is well below the base clock and plain nonsense.

I mentioned recent AMD lies and dirty tricks because I am tired of double standards and the repetitive attempts to present Intel as an evil company and AMD as a kind of charity.

im not talking about he and his mentioned MCE issue. im talking about intel a bad company bribe with rebate shown in adoreTV's video. terrible, terrible business practice. they should be fined several billion each time rather than just 1 billion so these practices dont happen again.

they just want your money

Of course they do, they are a large corporation. They do not care about you or I, they care about revenue, profits, margins etc.

they are scared of epyc destroying their biggest money grab in the server space.

I wouldn't say "scared". EPYC is good, but it's a first gen product, as of right now AMDs new track record starts. IF they can continually offer and improve it then Intel should be scared, if not Intel have nothing to worry about. Intel have a robust Hardware and Software ecosystem with proven reliability, nothing is going to knock that away anytime soon. Intel wasn't joking in their slide when they said EPYC has inconsistent performance (due to ccx and cross die communications), AMD have an unreliable track record and have currently no big software ecosystem. The fact that people think Intel is all of a sudden doomed in the server market place is asinine. AMD have a lot to prove and anyways when you have 99.9% of that market the only was is down

wow where in the hell are you guys getting your chips from? I cant find the anywhere literally.

Of course they do, they are a large corporation. They do not care about you or I, they care about revenue, profits, margins etc.

I wouldn't say "scared". EPYC is good, but it's a first gen product, as of right now AMDs new track record starts. IF they can continually offer and improve it then Intel should be scared, if not Intel have nothing to worry about. Intel have a robust Hardware and Software ecosystem with proven reliability, nothing is going to knock that away anytime soon. Intel wasn't joking in their slide when they said EPYC has inconsistent performance (due to ccx and cross die communications), AMD have an unreliable track record and have currently no big software ecosystem. The fact that people think Intel is all of a sudden doomed in the server market place is asinine. AMD have a lot to prove and anyways when you have 99.9% of that market the only was is down

from what adoretv video mentioned, if its indeed correct, its based on how these OEM are still cooperating with intel. eypc offers tremendous value in terms of cost, performance and efficiency, however in stability is an issue as it is a brand new CPU. on that front intel does have a strong lead as their core architecture is known to work since first gen i7.

Well re:air cooling and Coffee Lake, I haven't run Prime 95 for an extended amount of time yet but my chip passes initial minutes of testing at 5.0ghz and around 1.35V. I am seeing totally fine temps around 55-65 or 70C max CPU when gamig on a Noctua NH-U9S air cooler. I stuck a total of 6 fans into my Ncase M1. The GPU is 1080 ti SC2 so it's not a blower and it shoves hot air into the case. Honestly everythjng is running fine temp-wise though. I see GPU max out around 75-78C when gaming. The CPU I delidded with liquid metal on the die. Air cooling is preferred for me cause I move my machine around a lot and don't want liquid leaking out and destroying the machine. On my i3 unlocked chip 5.0ghz overclock runs fine on air cooling so far... Very good temps nowehere near 80C unless I run Prime 95 then I hit 80-85C max.

I have a rule...any poster that post his videos in response to me gets on my ignore-list per default....you cannot fix stupid...stupid is forever.

While I agree with your sentiment, I'd caution against broad-brushing: if we assume that some (but not likely all) people who post on the [H] forums are amenable to learning, then they may be willing to listen to evidence.

Of course, I can't tell you what to do, but my suggestion is to give them a shot at understanding first :D

Only place I've seen the 8700K available is with prebuilt OEM systems or some very high priced unheard of sellers. It maybe marked to be cheaper just like Vega but at present it is not. Much faster??? I wished [H]ardOCP was sampled one so we can get some good data. A fine tuned maxed out Ryzen system - meaning very fast ram and settings, max clock vice the average reviewer inept understanding in how to push and get the max performance out of it. Do agree tho that once CFL is more available, AMD probably should reduce prices but then they may have Ryzen + out the gate. I like the max of both system comparisons, so you can see the real potential or get a good idea of the hardware potential.

Anyone who believes adoredTV should be shunned.

I would vote up for a modification of the forum rules that apply a 48H ban for anyone linking to AdoredTV videos. Unless the video is being mentioned just for fun in a ranking about who does the more biased and misleading video. ;)

Edit: In the case my sarcasm was too subtle, I think forum rules are ok. No problem with people linking to AdoredTV. I can just ignore his videos. My recommendation is to avoid AdoredTV as the plague.

Last edited:
I would vote up for a modification of the forum rules that apply a 48H ban for anyone linking to AdoredTV videos. Unless the video is being mentioned just for fun in a ranking about who does the more biased and misleading video. ;)

Edit: In the case my sarcasm was too subtle, I think forum rules are ok. No problem with people linking to AdoredTV. I can just ignore his videos. My recommendation is to avoid AdoredTV as the plague.

sounds like salt got into your eyes. AdoreTV excellent in putting in info and we can binge them. intel love to hide info here and there, milk forever, slow style.

While I agree with your sentiment, I'd caution against broad-brushing: if we assume that some (but not likely all) people who post on the [H] forums are amenable to learning, then they may be willing to listen to evidence.

Of course, I can't tell you what to do, but my suggestion is to give them a shot at understanding first :D

Oh, I have tried that...not a single success...hence I consider it a waste of time ;)

EDIT:
But I am willing to see you have any success...this poster sounds like a good candidate;
sounds like salt got into your eyes. AdoreTV excellent in putting in info and we can binge them. intel love to hide info here and there, milk forever, slow style.

spotted an i3-8100 and i5-8400 in the wild for sale yesterday...
MAbczIu.jpg

couldn't resist the urge to upgrade now though so brought home something else.
xusBOMc.jpg

r u gonna delid? show the voltage at 5ghz pls!

definitely, rockit 99 will be on order as soon as back in stock. atm i'm running 1.225v at 4.7 ghz, haven't found its limit still at this voltage but kinda happy with 4.7 till i delid and swap in a 1000w PSU. these cpus are VERY power hungry overclocked!

8400 is truly going to be a big hit with gamers, unless amd drops their pants even more on the R5 1600x its a no brainer mid range gaming CPU going forward of choice esp once B360 motherboards are out.

Back