Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
8400 is truly going to be a big hit with gamers, unless amd drops their pants even more on the R5 1600x its a no brainer mid range gaming CPU going forward of choice esp once B360 motherboards are out.

yea its great, it also come with iGPU which would be enough for majority of non gamer consumer anyway. AMD needs pinnacle ridge out and fast to compete.

Ordered my 8700K 2 minutes after they went up on Newegg. Literally no action on the order. This launch blows.

Basically why I bought a 7820x last weekend. the inflated prices and lack of availability made paying just a few hundred more for an 8 core look very attractive to me vs waiting for over a month or more or paying extreme premiums to get it now.

8400 is truly going to be a big hit with gamers, unless amd drops their pants even more on the R5 1600x its a no brainer mid range gaming CPU going forward of choice esp once B360 motherboards are out.

LmFao

Umm AMD has nothing to worry about. CrappyLake looks wonderful on the sheet of paper that shipped instead.

I wanted an I5-8600k but cant find what doesnt even exist. Amd has all the time in the world as long as Intel keeps this class act fuckery game going.

Basically why I bought a 7820x last weekend. the inflated prices and lack of availability made paying just a few hundred more for an 8 core look very attractive to me vs waiting for over a month or more or paying extreme premiums to get it now.
I considered a 7820X, but the mesh architecture is too much a performance penalty in gaming for me. Great for workstations though.

You mean 3 AM the day before launch or 24 hours later when they re-listed?
The proper day. Ordered at 12:02 am PST, 2 minutes after Newegg put them up proper. Really doesnt matter though, Newegg didnt sell thousands a day before. The stock levels are just a total joke.

I considered a 7820X, but the mesh architecture is too much a performance penalty in gaming for me. Great for workstations though.

yeah, my application its no problem sense 4k 60 is what i game at and for benchmarking stuff the 7820x is a really solid gpu for 3dmark etc so fit my bill pretty well overall. Ryzen isn't an option when it comes to overclocking comps because they get trashed by 5960x's even still to this day.

The proper day. Ordered at 12:02 am PST, 2 minutes after Newegg put them up proper. Really doesnt matter though, Newegg didnt sell thousands a day before. The stock levels are just a total joke.
Newegg sold out at 5 AM EST October 4th.
Not sure they got any more stock since.

SiliconLottery put up their 8350K's and the prices are... Disheartening.

They had stated that the 8350Ks were overclocking significantly worse than the 8600 and 8700Ks, so it's not surprising that the 5.2ghz ones ended up really rare... a $150 premium doesn't really seem disheartening to me. I'd expect to pay a $300 premium for the top-clocking 8700Ks, whatever they end up at, and that's fine.

ouch 1.45v is doable for benching no prob but yeah anyone looking for a solid quad core best go snatch up a 7600k, at those kinds of voltages i have gotten mine up to nearly 5.4 ghz!

For the same price, would you rather have a delidded 5.2 8700K or a vanilla 7820X at ~4.8?

The 8700K, since I have no real use for 8 cores. My desktop is primarily for gaming and light desktop tasks, I compile stuff on it once in a blue moon and that's about it. Even the most optimistic multi-thread use case of well-architectured DX12 game streamed on Twitch is better served by the superior single thread performance of the 5.2ghz 8700K, imo.

Anyway, is there any guarantee a vanilla 7820x even gets to 4.8ghz? Silicon Lottery sells them for $780, a $200 premium.

For the same price, would you rather have a delidded 5.2 8700K or a vanilla 7820X at ~4.8?

so far tbh i'm not regretting grabbing the 7820x, still haven't managed to crash the pc on it yet just been getting a feel for it and running at an easy 4.7 ghz 3 ghz mesh with 4200 c19 ram and its been solid like a rock and pretty manageable temp wise on water. temps are my biggest concern so not going to go for 5+ till delid but i'm already putting up really solid 8 core scores and 3d mark scores on hwbot with it just at this easy daily OC.

1.45v must be a joke for a Intel processor and saying that is stable. That thing will thermally throttle on just about everything but high end water cooling.

1.45v must be a joke for a Intel processor and saying that is stable. That thing will thermally throttle on just about everything but high end water cooling.
It's not looking good on the 5.2 GHz 8700K front. These i3's have shitty bins and I hope the i7 does better.
Might just aim for a clean 5.

so far tbh i'm not regretting grabbing the 7820x, still haven't managed to crash the pc on it yet just been getting a feel for it and running at an easy 4.7 ghz 3 ghz mesh with 4200 c19 ram and its been solid like a rock and pretty manageable temp wise on water. temps are my biggest concern so not going to go for 5+ till delid but i'm already putting up really solid 8 core scores and 3d mark scores on hwbot with it just at this easy daily OC.
Stop, you're making me want to buy a $600 CPU I have no use for.

Have there been any reviews of the 8700 non-k yet? It's currently in stock where I live, considering picking it up. My cooling solution won't allow much overclocking anyways, might as well save some money and not having to wait another two months for the K version.

reading on r/intel that lots of ppl with backordered 8700k's just got shipped today and for a moment they had some cpu mobo combos up for sale but looks like they sold out extremely fast.

LmFao
Umm AMD has nothing to worry about. CrappyLake looks wonderful on the sheet of paper that shipped instead.
I wanted an I5-8600k but cant find what doesnt even exist. Amd has all the time in the world as long as Intel keeps this class act fuckery game going.

looks to me they do. i3 is great 4 cores with iGPU for around $180. AMD needs APU out with ryzen cores and fast or intel will continue to destroy them.

if only mesh can be overclocked to like 5ghz..

yeah, my application its no problem sense 4k 60 is what i game at and for benchmarking stuff the 7820x is a really solid gpu for 3dmark etc so fit my bill pretty well overall. Ryzen isn't an option when it comes to overclocking comps because they get trashed by 5960x's even still to this day.

overall, what do you think how much performance penalty of having mesh and new cache reworked?

Newegg apparently sold some 8700K's + Mobos as bundles, even though a lot of people still have CPU backorders.

looks to me they do. i3 is great 4 cores with iGPU for around $180. AMD needs APU out with ryzen cores and fast or intel will continue to destroy them.

if only mesh can be overclocked to like 5ghz..

overall, what do you think how much performance penalty of having mesh and new cache reworked?

I haven't played too many actual games on it yet but at 4.7 ghz 3 ghz mesh BF1 at 4k ultra runs great, cpu use is 50-70% in 64p multiplayer and i forget what my fraps results were but they were very solid frame rates and frame times. I bought it knowing i'm likely to stick with 4k 60 hz and VR only for a long time so really am not concerned about 100+ fps constantly.

I need to get around to reinstalling some games and test them out sadly i had to reset my windows 10 install when i upgraded there was some driver or software that was causing a hard lockup on every boot a few min after i got into windows and couldn't figure out what it was so took the lazy way out of the problem.

I haven't played too many actual games on it yet but at 4.7 ghz 3 ghz mesh BF1 at 4k ultra runs great, cpu use is 50-70% in 64p multiplayer and i forget what my fraps results were but they were very solid frame rates and frame times. I bought it knowing i'm likely to stick with 4k 60 hz and VR only for a long time so really am not concerned about 100+ fps constantly.

I need to get around to reinstalling some games and test them out sadly i had to reset my windows 10 install when i upgraded there was some driver or software that was causing a hard lockup on every boot a few min after i got into windows and couldn't figure out what it was so took the lazy way out of the problem.

That's a hell of a lot of CPU U til. You using Igp or add in gpu?

That's a hell of a lot of CPU U til. You using Igp or add in gpu?

1080 Ti, skylake-x doesnt have an igpu lol. BF1 multiplayer can get pretty crazy on CPU use, i know on 6700/7700k i would get very high cpu use. when i say 50-70% it was probably like 50% average 70% peaks

https://imgur.com/a/tsS4z

didn't save cpu use graphs from afterburner but cpu use was definitely way way lower than i ever saw with 4c/8t

edit : its kinda hard to compare multiplayer performance which is very cpu hard but based on that test run i did yesterday on same map (amiens) [H] only got 64.8 fps on the 1080 Ti at 4K ultra vs my 84 fps average. granted i'm sure some of my advantage is due to watercooled and mild overclock on the GPU (2000 core stock ram speed)

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/10/09/amd_radeon_rx_vega_64_4k_video_card_review/9

Last edited:
1080 Ti, skylake-x doesnt have an igpu lol. BF1 multiplayer can get pretty crazy on CPU use, i know on 6700/7700k i would get very high cpu use. when i say 50-70% it was probably like 50% average 70% peaks

https://imgur.com/a/tsS4z

didn't save cpu use graphs from afterburner but cpu use was definitely way way lower than i ever saw with 4c/8t

edit : its kinda hard to compare multiplayer performance which is very cpu hard but based on that test run i did yesterday on same map (amiens) [H] only got 64.8 fps on the 1080 Ti at 4K ultra vs my 84 fps average. granted i'm sure some of my advantage is due to watercooled and mild overclock on the GPU (2000 core stock ram speed)

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/10/09/amd_radeon_rx_vega_64_4k_video_card_review/9
Oh I thought you were using a 8700k for some reason. I misunderstood I guess.

Back