Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, initial results. Probably not stable. But heck, I'd rather use the computer than test for hours.

SYSTEM:
Gigabyte Z370 XP SLI (stock BIOS)
2 x 8GB DDR4 3.000mhz Gskill CL15.
Cooling Arctic 240 AIO with stock fans. Running at full blast upwards of 65ºC.
Phanteks EVOLV ATX (famous for being very very restrictive). AIO mounted on the front (using solely Arctics's fans. The Phanteks are gone, sans for the one in the back).

OC:
4,8ghz
4ghz uncore
1,25V (with vdroop the maximum I saw was 1,248V. But lets round it up since 1,25V is what I had set into the Bios).
AVX OFFSET -2
Memos running at 3ghz cl15 1.35V. Basically hitting XMP and callint it a day.

Did Prime95 SmallFFTS for 10-15 minutes with 0 problems.

Max reported temp: 75ºC.

System might not be stable because 10-15 minutes probably hardly qualify. When I get a bit more time I'll try to hit 5,0ghz and see what happens...

---

BTW, how long while testing instability with Prime95 to consider something "stable"? I know that everybody differs on this, BUT:

a) My computer will not be 100% loaded much, if ever. It is my daily web-browser + gaming machine. No encoding or any work being done sans a few spreadsheets, some text and the like.

b) I do not do crucial work that requires integrity at all times. A reboot once every couple of months I don't give a fuck about.

Just got the email my 8700k will ship on 10/19. Like a moron i did 3 day shipping instead of overnight thinking it would ship from NJ but its shipping from CA so i should get it by Tuesday

Just got the email my 8700k will ship on 10/19. Like a moron i did 3 day shipping instead of overnight thinking it would ship from NJ but its shipping from CA so i should get it by Tuesday
I've ordered stuff using their Premier 2-Day on Wednesday, and got it Monday. Their shipping tiers mean nothing.
If they ship "overnight" on 10/19 there's a strong chance you'd get it Monday anyway.

My newegg order just shipped today also.

Also I just watched this vid from Hardware Canuks and I have to say I'm pretty shocked at their findings. Has anyone else seen this vid? I have an i5 2500k that is overclocked. The gaming performance between the two is VERY surprising. Makes me wish I could get a new socket 1155 motherboard with with m.2 support and DDR4 support.

Also I just watched this vid from Hardware Canuks and I have to say I'm pretty shocked at their findings. Has anyone else seen this vid? I have an i5 2500k that is overclocked. The gaming performance between the two is VERY surprising. Makes me wish I could get a new socket 1155 motherboard with with m.2 support and DDR4 support.

Ouch. Even at 1080 the 2600k wasn't far enough behind to make it unplayable or maybe even noticeable.....

Yeah just not enough games using the extra threads. And small improvements to IPC.
Also the the 1070 will bottleneck before the CPU does, even at 1080p.

Holy shit, 720p benchmarks.

45R0SQl.png

Holy shit, 720p benchmarks.

45R0SQl.png

That 8400 is pretty dam good. At my res it makes no difference what I get. I would like a lower power machine for summer since I only game and browse.(or a tube to the ceiling exhausting the hot air into the attic)

Ouch. Even at 1080 the 2600k wasn't far enough behind to make it unplayable or maybe even noticeable.....

Even that review does contain very significant 1% minimum differences, and that's always where a new cpu will help you out: less often and less severe stuttering. Multiplayer games are also significantly more cpu intensive, and they're almost always completely ignored because it's so hard to do multiplayer benchmarks. Only one I've seen actually done is the BF1 multiplayer test, once in a while, and it does show much bigger differences, at least when CPU bottlenecked.

At the end of the day though, yeah, if you have a single midrange gpu and you're primarily playing single player games, CPU upgrades aren't going to get you much. Only some multiplayer games and decently threaded AAA DX12 games make more use of the CPU.

Even that review does contain very significant 1% minimum differences, and that's always where a new cpu will help you out: less often and less severe stuttering. Multiplayer games are also significantly more cpu intensive, and they're almost always completely ignored because it's so hard to do multiplayer benchmarks. Only one I've seen actually done is the BF1 multiplayer test, once in a while, and it does show much bigger differences, at least when CPU bottlenecked.

At the end of the day though, yeah, if you have a single midrange gpu and you're primarily playing single player games, CPU upgrades aren't going to get you much. Only some multiplayer games and decently threaded AAA DX12 games make more use of the CPU.
Yeah, and even then they all were playable it seems.

You can make retarded tests with any comparison if you do the classic AMD shill tactic of GPU bottlenecking all your "CPU Testing."

There's a reason why 90+% of youtube "reviewers" are pure clickbait shill trash.

My favorite part is where the "reviewer" starts using 8x SSAA to GPU bottleneck the tests that probably didn't give results that they were trying to engineer.

====================================================================================

Reminds me of gems like this from a supposedly "respectable" review site:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-

Read this page for the fully AMD sponsored shilling:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-/9

Anandtech literally recommended that you purchase a faildozer when Haswell came out:

Anandtech said:
A CPU for Single GPU Gaming: A8-5600K + Core Parking updates

Last edited:
There were lots of games.

a lot of old games that can give two craps about more than 4 threads i'm guessing. their proper review showed recent games that do use 8 or more threads and that's where the performance increase is to be had.

Instantaneous minimum framerates, i.e., maximum frametimes, are the proper way to address gaming performance.

These youtubers can keep their drivel, and I'll keep numbers that actually mean something.

Any actual projections on when EVERYone might have a chance to actually drink some coffee of this lake. This is utter crock of shit Fucktel. Come on you dick smelling fumundas. You are so scared of AMD you pulled this BS. Make me wait much longer and were gonna be another month closer to zen+ and AMD will get my money instead.

The entire performance debate is just so tedious and old to the point I don't actually give many f ks anymore.

AMD caught up considerable ground, and they did that by emulating the front end of Intels generation 2 and 3 core I parts, this is probably why in many single thread domains the Ryzen parts seem to be in the same class as the old Ivy/Sandy parts albeit overclocked. AMD's more modern i/o and prefetches, cache and interconnects make them superior to Sandy/Ivy in work loads and rendering applications by a considerable margin a 1600 clock vs clock and same thread count can outpace a 8700K in CB which is testament to how good a job they did there.

At some point AMD will extend the front end, will trough more ALU's and compute parts onto the uarch and the performance gap will continue to close, the winner here is the consumer, we finally have options to buy, and the only reason everyone acts like bitches is because there is genuine competition now.

I guess I must throw a bitch fit that a friends FX 8350 and his 1060 can out do my 4790K and 980ti in NewZ, oh noes the world is ending, but yeah its true I have drops from 144 down to 90-100FPS range, he is more constant around 120FPS, its very odd.

If it wasn't for the massive single core clock speed difference, I'd be building a Ryzen 1700 right now for the 8 cores. But the 8700k... you can't get around it being able to reach almost 5GHz on air. It more or less makes up being down 2 cores on raw clock cycles alone. I can't convince myself that it's the right long term move to give up that kind of fast single thread capability for 2 more cores.

So we wait.

If it wasn't for the massive single core clock speed difference, I'd be building a Ryzen 1700 right now for the 8 cores. But the 8700k... you can't get around it being able to reach almost 5GHz on air. It more or less makes up being down 2 cores on raw clock cycles alone. I can't convince myself that it's the right long term move to give up that kind of fast single thread capability for 2 more cores.

So we wait.

Eh, buy what you need. My 2500k was topped out, but I didn't replace it until it or the board died (hard to test with something that old). The 6700k was what was available, so that's what I'm running.

As for Ryzen: it was a tossup with the 7700k, depending on your gaming needs (high framerate?) and your compute needs (content creation?). With the 8700k, it isn't a tossup; unless something that you need to speed up is significantly faster on an R7, and that would likely be indicative of bad optimization (that may never get fixed, so...), then Ryzen doesn't make sense for top-end consumer gaming, or really top-end gaming at all, because the 8700k is simply where it's at.

And that's nothing against AMD! It's just where things stand.

Now, if you need more compute than an R7 can deliver, then yeah, you go Threadripper, and if you're budget limited, you may look at the R5's for more real cores if you don't need the high clocks and IPC for gaming. But purely for gaming, Intel is back on top pretty much across the board.

So we wait.

That is about the only thing, high frequency is still able to overcome cores at lower clocks but I am not sure the 5ghz on conventional HS/F is realistic, Toms ran into issues with water, Jayz2cents was already hitting high temps on water at stock frequencies.

It is all usage, the 1700 will give up a lot in some gaming titles but still get you the good enough FPS depending on your specs, if benching is the way it takes a 3.4ghz Ryzen 1700 to score more than the 4.3Ghz 8700K and it can do it on the stock fan comfortably, but yeah it's different strokes for different folks. I like the idea of moving to ryzen soon because of a number of factors:

1) I render images for my step brothers brand, do some advertising for it all of this is done on applications that are known for multi core performance over single thread performance.
2) I like out the box performance
3) This follows 2, to hit AMD's performance you need to overclock the Intel CPU, that produces heat and requires high end cooling on top of a high price tag just to get

For me Ryzen 1700 and 1600 at current prices are absolute gold and both don't require additional cooling, both can be plugged into very affordable B350 chipsets and go. My gaming needs are covered by Ryzen, I run a 1080P sub 1ms TN panel that I will not change anytime soon and my 350K kills in BF4 suggest that I don't have a hardware gain issue, see kill repeat and I doubt a Ryzen is going to suffer any significant offset given the strong Battlefield 1 multiplayer bench numbers.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
...is done on applications that are known for multi core performance over single thread performance.

There's really no such thing. If you have one core that runs at 2GHz, and two cores that run at 1GHz, the single core will be at least as fast or faster than the dual-core part, everything else being equal.

More often than not, it will be faster. Generally speaking, if an R7 is faster than the 8700k stock vs. stock or overclocked vs. overclocked, then for that particular application, all things are not equal- but again, that's the exception, not the norm. And for your usage, I agree that Ryzen is as good as Intel with respect to gaming, so long as you don't eat that temporary motherboard savings with increased memory costs ;).

I love the Canucks video but that is garbage. Check Digital Foundry for proper cpu tests related to gaming.

Instantaneous minimum framerates, i.e., maximum frametimes, are the proper way to address gaming performance.

These youtubers can keep their drivel, and I'll keep numbers that actually mean something.

Precisely.

If I had a fully functioning 1155 board Id compare my 2500k/2600k against Coffee, just for the lulz. But I'd do it with actual gameplay and not benchmarks that never tell the full story.

Any actual projections on when EVERYone might have a chance to actually drink some coffee of this lake. This is utter crock of shit Fucktel. Come on you dick smelling fumundas. You are so scared of AMD you pulled this BS. Make me wait much longer and were gonna be another month closer to zen+ and AMD will get my money instead.

Right with. Had to get an 8350k cause 8600k and 8700k were oos. Fuck that.

There's really no such thing. If you have one core that runs at 2GHz, and two cores that run at 1GHz, the single core will be at least as fast or faster than the dual-core part, everything else being equal.

More often than not, it will be faster. Generally speaking, if an R7 is faster than the 8700k stock vs. stock or overclocked vs. overclocked, then for that particular application, all things are not equal- but again, that's the exception, not the norm. And for your usage, I agree that Ryzen is as good as Intel with respect to gaming, so long as you don't eat that temporary motherboard savings with increased memory costs ;).

I dont see this increased memory costs being attached to Ryzen. Yes high speed low latency memory is good for it, Intel also likes it and I doubt anyone would order less then 3200 memory for either platform. Intel is actually better at supporting high speed memory which is much more expensive while Ryzen most are at 3600 or less for the most part. Both companies offer a choice for a reasonable price as soon as Intel gets to actually producing them. It's good to have choices and now you get more power for the dollar in the cpu market.

I dont see this increased memory costs being attached to Ryzen. Yes high speed low latency memory is good for it, Intel also likes it and I doubt anyone would order less then 3200 memory for either platform. Intel is actually better at supporting high speed memory which is much more expensive while Ryzen most are at 3600 or less for the most part. Both companies offer a choice for a reasonable price as soon as Intel gets to actually producing them. It's good to have choices and now you get more power for the dollar in the cpu market.

You miss the whole point in why Ryzen users in the know are spending so much on ram that otherwise only people in overclocking comps would want or need (samsung b-die)

on intel - ring/mesh is independent from core and ram clocks so if your gaming performance is suffering due to core to core interconnect latency you can overclock it without buying anything.

on Ryzen - Infinity fabric is tied to the ram clock speed, due to the more unforgiving IMC in Ryzen the the only ram that can "max out" infinity fabric clocks is the most expensive ram you can buy (b-die, 200+ dollars for any 2x 8gb kit atm, 235+ dollars for good bin kits)

the performance gains in the vast majority of games has little to do with the increased ram performance and has much much more to do with the increased infinity fabric clocks.

on both my intel platforms i current own (z270 and x299) if i'm not going for subbing scores on hwbot i run my ram at xmp and don't care what its clocked or timed at because it has almost no impact on anything, even in most hwbot benches it has fairly little impact but there are some certain ones that are very ram happy like many artificial benches can be.

I've ordered stuff using their Premier 2-Day on Wednesday, and got it Monday. Their shipping tiers mean nothing.
If they ship "overnight" on 10/19 there's a strong chance you'd get it Monday anyway.
Same here. Even with "rush" packaging early in the morning I've never had packages ship the same day from Newegg. In fact, a 2-day delay from ordering to shipping is quite common with them these days.

You miss the whole point in why Ryzen users in the know are spending so much on ram that otherwise only people in overclocking comps would want or need (samsung b-die)

on intel - ring/mesh is independent from core and ram clocks so if your gaming performance is suffering due to core to core interconnect latency you can overclock it without buying anything.

on Ryzen - Infinity fabric is tied to the ram clock speed, due to the more unforgiving IMC in Ryzen the the only ram that can "max out" infinity fabric clocks is the most expensive ram you can buy (b-die, 200+ dollars for any 2x 8gb kit atm, 235+ dollars for good bin kits)

the performance gains in the vast majority of games has little to do with the increased ram performance and has much much more to do with the increased infinity fabric clocks.

on both my intel platforms i current own (z270 and x299) if i'm not going for subbing scores on hwbot i run my ram at xmp and don't care what its clocked or timed at because it has almost no impact on anything, even in most hwbot benches it has fairly little impact but there are some certain ones that are very ram happy like many artificial benches can be.

Ok we have had some bios updates to motherboards where even Hynix will work at higher speeds, my memory is Samsung e-die and it works at 3200 speeds just fine despite being double sided, was not that way at first no doubt. Mesh overclocking on Intel gains virtually nothing from the benchmarks I have seen. Once you hit 3200 on Ryzen or at low latency 14 or less then you pretty much got all your going to get out of it, very minor gains at 3600 and even 4000 a few have hit. Trying to go beyond 3200 speed on Ryzen is where it will cost you, but that is true on Intel as well as those kits are expensive. Since I own Ryzen and had my ram running at slower speeds and now at the rated 3200 I have seen the difference, it's pretty minor and mostly seen on benchmarks, otherwise I would not know the difference at all on daily use.

Ok we have had some bios updates to motherboards where even Hynix will work at higher speeds, my memory is Samsung e-die and it works at 3200 speeds just fine despite being double sided, was not that way at first no doubt. Mesh overclocking on Intel gains virtually nothing from the benchmarks I have seen. Once you hit 3200 on Ryzen or at low latency 14 or less then you pretty much got all your going to get out of it, very minor gains at 3600 and even 4000 a few have hit. Trying to go beyond 3200 speed on Ryzen is where it will cost you, but that is true on Intel as well as those kits are expensive. Since I own Ryzen and had my ram running at slower speeds and now at the rated 3200 I have seen the difference, it's pretty minor and mostly seen on benchmarks, otherwise I would not know the difference at all on daily use.

I still see lots of people buying hynix because its cheaper and then having lots of problems getting past 2933.

mesh overclocking on skylake-x is a similar situation as with ryzen, the stock speed of 2400 mhz is too low for gaming and that is why sky-x cpus look bad in many reviews in gaming, the solution is simple overclock it to 3000 or more and call it a day no need to buy fancy ram.

I imagine if its possible AMD will remove this linking of the IF in Zen 2 it has been the biggest issue i have seen people have to deal with sense day one but for sure agesa updates have fixed most of it and sometimes even broke it before fixing it again later on on certain motherboards.

as for gamer builds, i mean if someone asks me to config an intel build i'd just throw in the cheapest ddr4 2x 8 gb kit i can find that is 2666 or higher and know that it doesn't matter. on ryzen in order to make sure someone has a trouble free experience and gets good performance i'd be recommending b-die sticks

I still see lots of people buying hynix because its cheaper and then having lots of problems getting past 2933.

I imagine if its possible AMD will remove this linking of the IF in Zen 2 it has been the biggest issue

I do not believe that is possible it is pretty much the main communication for core to core work and is tied to everything in Zen.

Back