Intel Chipset Design Error!!!

First time early adopter and I get this crap.

Does this affect every mobo out there? Has anyone noticed any degradation with their SATA ports?

My mobo degraded me. It sprouted little horns then took a dump in my case. That evil, evil corrupted bastard!

What they're saying is that all chipsets that have shipped are affected, but it could have been worse as it is has only be 3-weeks worth of product in the market that they have to swap out.

Intel needs to clarify this statement. They do chips in batches, we all know this. It is possible that the first chips sent out did not suffer the fault, unlikely but possible. If that is the case it is also unlikely that boards sold on the 9th include the faulty chips.

I agree though that the statement makes me believe that the word "shipped" means "retail products with this fault have been on sale since the 9th".

it seems to be only the 4 3gbps ports. so if you use the 6gbs ports and the marvell ones your fine.

Aslo seems to be a very small percentage of boards so realistically unless your using those 4 sata ports youll never see the problem. and you may never see it with those ports anyways.

so really no need to panic.

F...

So what happens to the people who can't go back to their old rigs and have to use their computers? I can't be out a desktop for a month.

Intel needs to come clean on this one...what exactly do they mean it "may" affect hard drives?

AFAIC, may = will. They have no choice but to fix this for everyone.

I don't see a reason to get all freaked out. I have all my stuff moved over so this is a big convenience. I can at least get by on the Marvell ports, though not everyone can do that. Having to do the exchange will be a pain, though. And for those to have to suffer degradation...and exactly how does this degradation happen? Does it affect hardware (drives) or is it just in the firmware of the chipset?

That Anandtech article is probably more reliable.

They also say intel expects 5-15% failure rates over about 3 years, so I doubt they will break in the next few months while we wait for replacements.

No big deal then if you only have two drives IMO. Not saying I won't be RMAing when the time comes, just saying I'm not worried about using it in the mean time.

1. Early adopters (yet again) get screwed. Sympathies to those of you who jumped on the bandwagon and have to deal with this.

2. How long until the first class action lawsuit? LOLz

I can't believe how screwed as far as money and value I am in this situation. I know some of you don't have another desktop to go back to, which sucks worse, but here is my problem:

The ram and a C300 SSD for my build got delivered to me today. I bought both because they were great deals and I knew I was building a SB rig soon. Now, I am stuck with either returning them and paying NewEgg a 15% restocking fee plus shipping, or holding them for 1-3 months until I get a new board and eating the fact that (1) the C400 drives will likely be available by the time I get a usable motherboard and/or (2) the prices for both will fall by the time I get a usable motherboard.

I am trying to find out what NewEgg will do about the motherboard and cpu that are on their way to me right now. Am I supposed to just hold the board and cpu for 1-3 months until a replacement board comes and eat the cost of the prices falling between now and April? Do I have to pay a 15% return fee on a board that was defective when shipped? I have no idea.

Blargh. So mad. I guess if I have to take delivery on all of this I can use the working SATA ports (assuming that info is legit) and just build he damn thing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall
"On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by customers.
Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5-15%."

So it's not a "Death Blow" to our peripherals like we all thought.
This is a low enough risk to wait for ASUS to send me a new board.'

Like others have said, it only affects the SATA 3.0 ports. I have four SATA 6.0 ports which is more than enough for me, whew.
I can patiently wait for RMA.

Last edited:
The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th

Considering I bought my board on 1/8, I'm not too worried.

from anadtechs article

"On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by customers. Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5 - 15% depending on usage model. Remember this problem isn’t a functional issue but rather one of those nasty statistical issues, so by nature it should take time to show up in large numbers (at the same time there should still be some very isolated incidents of failure early on)."

and if you use the sata 6gbs ports or the marvell ones you will never see the problem anyway.

i doubt many would see it to begin with.

really no need to panic.

wow glad I stuck with my 930 instead of swapping. Maybe my wait was warranted.

Glad I waited. Now it looks like a longer wait.
First the Newegg plastic knockoff i7s now bad chipsets.

if you think about it 5-10% is near the norm for electorinc failures. then take into account the 3 year window or so. and then the people not using the 4 3gbs ports. even if they had a cd rom on there and the low usage they get. I mean that number really starts to shrink. Most people upgrade before 3 years and then that numbers shrinks again.

Personally im shocked they didn't just keep it a secret and ninja fix it. I think they learned from the xbox 360 issue and is why there doing a recall.

i really don't see this as a huge problem. Especially how early in the life cycle they found it.

Good thing some ASUS boards have 4 6G ports! :)

Eh, all P8P67 ATX size boards including the vanilla version have it. It seems some of the mATX have 3 6G ports. So I'd move over to the Marvel for precaution.

According to reports, it doesn't cause data loss, just performance decrease. So I guess we'll all be good to keep using the boards until they get enough replacements to RMA them. Intel says April for volume shipments though, so it'll be a while.

I guess the question is is the April volume shipment date, volume chipset shipments to board partners, or a prediction for when fi iced boards will ship in volume?

i bought my board before the 9th too, but for anyone questioning whether or not they are 'OK' because of that fact...understand that it's a design issue. it will affect all boards produced to-date. intel did not use a different design or manufacturing process for our boards.

from the anandtech article:
The SATA bug exists in hardware and there’s no way to provide a driver or firmware update that can fix it. The fix requires a metal layer change, which will result in a new hardware stepping (resulting in the ~3 week delay before replacement hardware is ready).

and like others have said, there's no reason to panic. it appears to be a low-incident issue. when i get home tonight i'll swap over to the 6GB/s ports and patiently await the recall.

i doubt many would see it to begin with.
really no need to panic.
Well from the same article, Intel says it started investigating the issue after receiving many complaints from customers quite early, so it looks like quite a sizable number of chips are affected, and very early, not after 3 years of usage, so everybody should get a replacement board.

But at least even if you experience the issue, you can plug your drives to other SATA ports or controllers in the mean time.
It's likely that resellers like newegg will try to downplay the issue and encourage you not to return the board, because even if they get replacement boards for free from manufacturers, I don't think Intel with pay them for the extra handling cost of the RMAs.

I was waiting for the 2011 chipset anyway, as the x67 has limited SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 so most desktop board manufacturers include extra chipsets for these.
But early adoption can be a pain, it took months after the Vista release for my 8800GTX and my ASUS board to get a decent firmware or BIOS that supported Vista properly. Now I systematically wait for the market to mature and the first flaws to be fixed. Never regretted it for Windows 7, though, I installed it on RTM day, so it's a hit and miss game.

What is actually happening to the SATA ports? Why are only the 3Gb/s ports affect and not the 6Gb/s (according to some people)?
Does it affect the SATA port itself, or is it affecting the devices that are connected to them? It all seems so scary to me. I just got my P8P67 EVO board and I was about to find time tomorrow to get it assembled and now I see this.
Should I return the parts? or just build it anyways, and then get the exchange when Intel issues the new parts?

Am I the only one wondering how a bug like this could exist in a circuit which would actually degrade the physical structure of the circuit?

My hard drives are plugged into the 6gb ports. However when I wanted to install win7 off of a CD on one of the 3gb ports I kept on getting massive corruption when it was trying to load the files off the CD. I ended up having to use a USB CD-ROM drive to get it installed.

I've also gotten corruption when trying to rip CDs from a drive plugged into a 3gb port. I was thinking my DVD-RW drive had gone bad. Maybe not.

I am going to just cross my fingers and hope the 6 Gb/s ports being OK part stands. I can live without the 3Gb/s ports until this gets worked out...

Would this somehow affect DVD drives connected to the SATA3Gbps ports?

yes but they said depends on usage.

I really don't think they had many complaints of this and then said the 3year they would see 5-15% failure . Then they also said they havent been made aware of a single customer having this issue. Ithink intel knew about this and was debating on how to play it out. Im shocked they really just didn't ninja fix it and call it a day.

Its also interesting how EVGA doesn't even have a board out yet. Why would you miss out selling boards at launch? Conspiracy theory?

My hard drives are plugged into the 6gb ports. However when I wanted to install win7 off of a CD on one of the 3gb ports I kept on getting massive corruption when it was trying to load the files off the CD. I ended up having to use a USB CD-ROM drive to get it installed.

I've also gotten corruption when trying to rip CDs from a drive plugged into a 3gb port. I was thinking my DVD-RW drive had gone bad. Maybe not.

I am going to just cross my fingers and hope the 6 Gb/s ports being OK part stands. I can live without the 3Gb/s ports until this gets worked out...

you could also use the marvell ports and not be affected.

I can't fucking believe this! I gave Intel a MONTH to weed out any serious bugs, and then bought my Sandy setup last Monday! The system runs great (my hard drive/SSD are on 6 Gig, and my optical drive works for now on 3 Gig), but I am so pissed off because I'll have to tear it down and rebuild in a few months.

I bled installing that motherboard with a Mugen 2 inside my case! It will NOT be easy to remove and replace :(

well, a very good move by Intel, wouldn't you like it better that they're being honest about it, and fix the problem like this.

I figure if this is not intel, but some other companies they would just shut up and let it slide.

Anandtech Article said:
It’s like Intel’s RRoD, but without the years of denial.

since I can avoid the problem by using the 6gbps ports on the mobo, I'll be keeping the H67 mobo in my HTPC, I think.

have to remember Intel said even after 3 years they are only expecting 5-15% to even fail or show the signs. since im not even or dont even plan on using the 4 3gbs sata ports i probably wont even worry about this.

Back