Ikea desk gallery

10401641_1610026615889420_2073191882_n.jpg

I would like to get this...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10116651/

But I would also like a pull out keyboard tray to house my mouse and keyboard. Does Ikea sell something like this? I have searched the website but have come up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Ikea had something like that on their site called Summera. It may still be in stock at your local store.

Last edited:
Knockoff Jerker? A friend of mine just sent me this. Some guy is selling this online. I've never seen anything like it. Anyone know what it is?

if5AB4h.jpg

Knockoff Jerker? A friend of mine just sent me this. Some guy is selling this online. I've never seen anything like it. Anyone know what it is?

if5AB4h.jpg
uhm...a Knockoff for sure, seems custom build to look like a Jerker & Fredrik...

Just a PSA for anyone lurking in this thread who is interested in building a Galant setup, Ikea is discontinuing the Galant line come this fall. I went to the store this weekend to get some of the awesome cable management trays they had for the Galant and I was told they were sold out and not getting more in. Upon further inspection of the issue I found that the Galant system is being retired and a new system called "Bekant" is being introduced in the fall. It will work but like the Galant, i.e. it will be configurable, but there will be less options. Unfortunately it will not be compatible with the Galant system. This comes direct from an Ikea sales person at the ATL store. She even showed me the internal product introduction .pps deck that detailed the pieces and configuration options.

One option of note though for anyone interested in Sit/Stand desks, there is an official "Bekant" motorized sit/stand base coming out.

Just a PSA for anyone lurking in this thread who is interested in building a Galant setup, Ikea is discontinuing the Galant line come this fall. I went to the store this weekend to get some of the awesome cable management trays they had for the Galant and I was told they were sold out and not getting more in. Upon further inspection of the issue I found that the Galant system is being retired and a new system called "Bekant" is being introduced in the fall. It will work but like the Galant, i.e. it will be configurable, but there will be less options. Unfortunately it will not be compatible with the Galant system. This comes direct from an Ikea sales person at the ATL store. She even showed me the internal product introduction .pps deck that detailed the pieces and configuration options.

One option of note though for anyone interested in Sit/Stand desks, there is an official "Bekant" motorized sit/stand base coming out.

thanks for this information!

Gah... Why is it everything I wanted from idea is being changed or discontinued?
House burnt down and everything will be gone before I have somewhere for it.

I bet that sit/stand will cost the earth In Australia, I want it though.

I hope they aren't planning on reducing the materials like they did with the Expedit.

Oh no! Thank you for this information, it made me quite sad though. I am saving for Galant desk for me and my boyfriend, we wanted to buy it sometime soon, July-August maybe. We wanted something like this setup http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49837866/
I don't know when Bekant will be introduced where I live (Poland) but I saw it on German Ikea website http://www.ikea.com/de/de/search/?query=BEKANT
I hope there will be some extensions and additional pieces :( I went through the entire thread looking for some inspiration and now this info you gave... I'm gonna ask about it today in my Ikea store.

EDIT: So, I went to my local Ikea store and I was told that indeed, Galant series won't be sold anymore. Furthermore, they didn't even have one piece of the setup we wanted :( And they told us that there won't be any more shipments of any parts for Galant. Bekant is going to be introduced around august here. Eh, we got a bit angry :(

Last edited:

Yeah Ikea always does shit like that, same thing with the 1st version Jerker Desk, 2nd version Jerker Desk, the Fredrik Desk and now this Galant Desk,
I just hope Ikea get's better with future products because it seems to be getting worst when it comes to workstations.

Oh no! Thank you for this information, it made me quite sad though. I am saving for Galant desk for me and my boyfriend, we wanted to buy it sometime soon, July-August maybe. We wanted something like this setup http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49837866/
I don't know when Bekant will be introduced where I live (Poland) but I saw it on German Ikea website http://www.ikea.com/de/de/search/?query=BEKANT
I hope there will be some extensions and additional pieces :( I went through the entire thread looking for some inspiration and now this info you gave... I'm gonna ask about it today in my Ikea store.

EDIT: So, I went to my local Ikea store and I was told that indeed, Galant series won't be sold anymore. Furthermore, they didn't even have one piece of the setup we wanted :( And they told us that there won't be any more shipments of any parts for Galant. Bekant is going to be introduced around august here. Eh, we got a bit angry :(
Here's a place you can always check y http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites you'll be surprise to find lots of used Ikea Desk for sale in great condition,
just have your hustle game on! :D and bring down price even lower or trade for smothing close to price range, I sell and buy from craigslist. good luck:cool:

Blaah, Bekant seems to have rounder corners... :( Maybe I just need to buy my Galant-desk while they are still available. Just realized the other day my desk at work is Galant :)

Here's a place you can always check y http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites you'll be surprise to find lots of used Ikea Desk for sale in great condition,
just have your hustle game on! :D and bring down price even lower or trade for smothing close to price range, I sell and buy from craigslist. good luck:cool:

Well, thanks, but I'm from Poland. Nobody here is using craigslist and shipment from any other country would cost me a fortune :(

After a lot of thinking, we decided to buy one 120cm x 80cm desk and one 160cm x 80cm desk. As the website states - they should be available. We're going to Ikea tomorrow, so if we buy them I will post our rig after it is built ;)
And regarding Bekant's rounded corners - I am concerned about them a bit because how would the additional expansions work with them? That would look extremely ugly.

Last edited:
Well, thanks, but I'm from Poland. Nobody here is using craigslist and shipment from any other country would cost me a fortune :(

After a lot of thinking, we decided to buy one 120cm x 80cm desk and one 160cm x 80cm desk. As the website states - they should be available. We're going to Ikea tomorrow, so if we buy them I will post our rig after it is built ;)
And regarding Bekant's rounded corners - I am concerned about them a bit because how would the additional expansions work with them? That would look extremely ugly.

by just looking at the BEKANT link you posted, it does not appear that the series was designed for extensions.

i am betting that IKEA is ditching the GALANT because it was confusing for many people to design the system they wanted. it seems like a strange move. maybe they will offer another line of modular tabletops? regardless, this sucks and now i'm wondering if i need to stock up on GALANT pieces before they completely go away.

14333490434_dfffbfbdb9_b.jpg

Last edited:
by just looking at the BEKANT link you posted, it does not appear that the series was designed for extensions.

i am betting that IKEA is ditching the GALANT because it was confusing for many people to design the system they wanted. it seems like a strange move. maybe they will offer another line of modular tabletops? regardless, this sucks and now i'm wondering if i need to stock up on GALANT pieces before they completely go away.

Yeah, I just bought expansion to my newly bought desk, it was the last one in my Ikea :D We don't really have much space in our room so that's it for now. It's really annoying that if we move to a bigger flat, we won't be able to expand our desks but will have to buy bigger ones from new series or just keep the sizes we have. I'd love to have a huge office/gaming room one day and Galant is just great for that :(

Son of a bitch! I just went to Ikea to pick up some of the newer style cable organizers and yeah, gone. Sometimes I really hate procrastinating about things like this, should have done it months ago...

I see The Bekant has an electric height adjustment 65-125 cm helps to ergonomically correct working posture, that's a nice feature! but yeah I see no extension on that model.

Ugh re: the galant series. I was JUST about to go buy a set this week, but if they're being discontinued, I will probably just save myself some $ and a potential headache (if I want an expansion at some point) and just DIY a desk instead. I'm glad I came by here to get some ideas!

Here is my setup. Got it before they took it away! I could not find a cable organizer, so I will be patrolling the internet to find one.

I also have a few pictures up now so it is not too bland anymore.

2w49ord.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Ikea Galant series. Thankfully I just did some Labor Day cleaning....

Here's the Pics, sorry for the messy wires underneath:

P9020043.jpg

P9020044.jpg

I'm looking into buying the Galant and extending it but am not very handy. I'm seeing some nice setups on the forum where people are combining two Galants together but there are no legs where the two desks join.

Does anyone know what the best and sturdiest way is to connect two Galants together without the middle leg? Is it stable?

I just bought a 47 inch Galant desk with 2 T legs for $25, I was wondering if there was some way to connect this to a corner desk. The pictures I've seen look like the extensions used are far smaller.

How many additional legs would be required? I was thinking maybe mixing in A legs?

I took a look at the Bekant selection on the UK Ikea site, not very impressive honestly. Maybe there is more to it not on that site?

Thanks!

I just got a 63x31 Galant and am wondering if it can support my dual 24" monitor clamp... Does anyone have clamps on their Galants and is it holding up?

uhm...a Knockoff for sure, seems custom build to look like a Jerker & Fredrik...

I'm pretty sure that's the Jerker. It just happens to be a very old version of it. I've seen them before. The odd thing is that he basically put one of the top shelves on as a backboard under the top shelf. I can't say for certain that this is what's going on given the quality of the picture but looking at my Jerker on the other side of the room here I think it's the genuine article. I have seen the older ones which were offered in that color before, though mine is the usual dark color.

1xaPxON.jpg

It's an Ikea Fredrik with two Laiva's rotated 90degrees as side/end tables.

(Codex staff is my GF's, she does cosplay)

Last edited:
I just got a 63x31 Galant and am wondering if it can support my dual 24" monitor clamp... Does anyone have clamps on their Galants and is it holding up?

I have the same size Galant as you. I have a triple 22" monitor clamp stand (the stand can support up to three 28" displays) and the desk is holding up just fine. Running this setup for about two years. It does wobble a bit if you bump the desk or the displays. But I see no issues with the desk and it holding this much weight from a single point.

Just make sure you tighten the clamp really good, but do not over tighten it. You don't want to break the mount or crush the wood desk. What brand clamp do you have?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I have this one. I was planning on putting a little block of wood on the underneath to clamp into so it is not directly into the desk, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to just snap off at some point. Thanks for the info!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have a top that's hollow or cardboard on the inside you might want to open it up and put a block of solid wood in there.

An increase of the clamping area is also a good idea.

The tops of the galants and fredriks are pretty solid--I've had two clamping mounts on my fredrik since 2007 and the surface is still totally fine.
It's the cheap table tops that are hollow/cardboard. You can hear it when you tap on them.

It seems the rumors of Ikea putting the Galant series office tables out to pasture are true and they are beginning to sell them at reduced prices. I was just at a local Ikea outside of Philadelphia and for example you can get a straight section 47 1/4 x 23 5/8 with under frame and two T-legs for 99.99 and I think that usually went for 140. May be a good time to check out an Ikea if you want to grab some Galant pieces. Unfortunately the corner desk (which was discounted somewhat; i believe it was originally 199.99, now 159.99) doesn't work with my room layout but I may spring for the set up I listed above.

Last edited:
Not quite sure if the Hemnes secretary qualifies as a desk but here it goes. Moved to a big city, and lost some square footage. Had to improvise to get a nice 'desk' space.
VbiTDJDl.jpg

Bonus photo of my monitor in time out (before I had removed the shelf below to fit my Nzxt phantom)

8hQvjWql.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same size Galant as you. I have a triple 22" monitor clamp stand (the stand can support up to three 28" displays) and the desk is holding up just fine. Running this setup for about two years. It does wobble a bit if you bump the desk or the displays. But I see no issues with the desk and it holding this much weight from a single point.

Just make sure you tighten the clamp really good, but do not over tighten it. You don't want to break the mount or crush the wood desk. What brand clamp do you have?

*snip*

Just curious, what monitor mount do you have?

It seems the rumors of Ikea putting the Galant series office tables out to pasture are true and they are beginning to sell them at reduced prices. .

Looks like the Galant has been replaced by the Bekant line. The Bekant desks, at least on the Ikea GB website, appear to have some large radius corners that look to make piecing various desks together like the Galant series difficult.

Hopefully another manufacturer steps in and makes a Galant successor. The flexibility is awesome, along with the quality. Not just for trendy tech startups, these desks are everywhere.

Whoever made this decision at Ikea needs to be taken out-back and given a stern talking to.

Back