Ikea desk gallery

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by AltTabbins, Sep 1, 2008.

1. HDriscoll

HDriscoll Limp Gawd

Made spacers for my shelf from 1/2" square solid aluminum tube, double sided tape and non-skid rubber strips.

[​IMG]

2. Arct1c0n

Arct1c0n Gawd

Been seaching for months to find a desk that suited my needs after moving outa state. Finally went to my first IKEA store and was completely blown away by how farking huge it was. And found the perfect desk to replace my ghetto setup at long last!

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  3. DarkStryke

DarkStryke [H]ard|Gawd

Wow that sucks, good to know.

4. Joe_coral

Joe_coral [H]Lite

Do you have to plug the cat in to the mains, or do you put batteries in to make it's eyes light up like that? :p

5. hound

hound 2[H]4U

I don't know about his model, but mine have solar panels in their bellies.

6. Arct1c0n

Arct1c0n Gawd

Nope, he's just powrn up his lazas! Shee woo dee wooop!

7. rtangwai

rtangwai [H]ard|Gawd

Mine have a hand-powered generator on their tummies - the more tummy-rubs they get the brighter the lights (and the louder the purring). ;)

8. ukbb

ukbb n00b

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap!

9. aerial-

aerial- Limp Gawd

[​IMG]

10. AndreRio

AndreRio [H]ard|Gawd

11. jamsomito

jamsomito 2[H]4U

12. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

yeah, it will be just fine.

[​IMG]

13. darren700

darren700 Limp Gawd

So seems I missed out on the Galant Train... I picked up 3 different Bekant desks recently and since there aren't any posted here yet so I figured I'd post some pics for you guys. Note that I purchased the wire rack separately at ikea to keep it more organized.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

aye, the first bekant sighting in the wild. looks good.

15. darren700

darren700 Limp Gawd

Also here is some shots of the curve:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. bkrawk

bkrawk Limp Gawd

[​IMG]
    Picked up a galant for 100 bucks at ikea! Beats paying double the price for a similar Bekant

17. T3rr0rByte13

T3rr0rByte13 n00b

Anybody know of a good Ikea product that fits under a Galant desk that is a drawer unit? I want to put these under each side of a galant desk and have some solution that looks good too.

18. HDriscoll

HDriscoll Limp Gawd

Ikea has a bunch of drawer units. How much space do you have between the floor and the underside of the frame? That will tell you what drawer unit you can go with.

19. Just picked up a Galant desk today. I used to have a Fredrik desk about 5 years ago.

20. King of Heroes

King of Heroes [H]ard|Gawd

What pieces did you use to create your setup? Right now I have a 63 x 31 black Galant, but I really need more space since I'm wanting to setup 3 monitors but doing so will block my passive speakers. I'd really like an L-shape like what you have but I'm not sure what pieces to get.

21. OrangeWolf

OrangeWolf Gawd

Some fantastic IKEA Fredde pictures in here! ...on a random note, I bought one of those but haven't had a chance to put it together yet for various reasons. The instructions are apparently going to be truly awful though, so... any tips on getting it put together properly despite the poor manual? I've put together several Office Depot desks before, but those instructions were decent.

22. MrCrispy

MrCrispy 2[H]4U

I have my Jerker for the last 7-8 years I'm guessing, don't even know what version it is. How easy is it to disassemble and move these things? I have to find a new apt and I really don't want to part with it, its the perfect computer desk.

23. newbs

newbs Gawd

jerkers are easy to take apart and put back together just go slow when putting them back together so not to cross thread or strip the screws.

24. ryang

ryang Gawd

If its the old school Jerker with hex bolts, the best thing to do is mark the height of the desk with some masking tape so you don't need to count holes from the top or bottom.

To disassemble, tilt it on it's side so the desktop doesn't sag or fall down when taking the side supports down. Lay a towel down if you don't have carpet.

I have moved my desk 6 times now, it's still in good shape and no issues with stripped bolts. It turns 10 years old this year.

25. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

So glad I picked up 3 new Galant tables before they expired. I have a total of 6 Galants in birch and black, 2 of them L shaped.

26. exilelrrp

exilelrrp Limp Gawd

I have 12 years with my Jerker :D and I will say this again, hands down the best Ikea Desk ever made!!...I have 3 in storage, I just cant let go of them.

27. Tyler-Durden

Tyler-Durden 2[H]4U

A word of advice: DON"T!

I sold my 2 flat Jerkers several years ago. I was moving and just didn't want the hassle of storing/shipping the desks. I still regret that decision. I've got a very nice, roomy Galant desk that works quite well, but it still ain't a Jerker.

28. hound

hound 2[H]4U

So what I'm hearing is, keep a tight grip on your jerker.

29. Trojita

Trojita n00b

Anyone that has a Fredde, could I fit a 27 in monitor in the center and a 24 in monitor to the side?

The only thing that is preventing me from getting the Fredde is the narrow size and lack of depth that I see the Jerker had. From pictures of the jerker, it looked like you could have monitors in the back and plenty of room up front. The Fredde in contrast looks like you need to have that shelf to put monitors on just so you aren't cramped. Too bad I can't buy that anymore ;_;

Why did they even get rid of it?

30. Trojita

Trojita n00b

Wait, the Fredde isn't height adjustable to the desk portion? Shit. I don't know if I can reach the height standard of the nords for proper ergonomics :S

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  31. zod96

zod96 Suspected BAD TRADER

Do most people put their computer cases on the floor or on the top of their desk?

32. Tyler-Durden

Tyler-Durden 2[H]4U

When I had full-sized tower cases, I kept them on the floor. I now have an SFF, so it's on my desk.

33. AndreRio

AndreRio [H]ard|Gawd

hello.
    I like to put my case on top of my table, I like it to be close to me. (It's pretty)
    I have many times try to put it on the floor but I don't. Too much dust.

34. Saturn_V

Saturn_V [H]ard|Gawd

Depends on the case, depends on the desk. My mid-Tower won't fit under my desk so it's on the desktop. But I don't like the idea of heat swirling around under the desk even if it did fit.

There's a Mini Tower that is under the desk, but it's not big on heat so it's fine.

35. wra18th

wra18th [H]ardness Supreme

I use a Corsair 760T. It's too heavy and to big for on top of the desk. It sits on the floor. Everything else is rack mounted.

36. i2abid

i2abid [H]ard|Gawd

I like my desk to be roomy, so i'll never put a rig on it. My favorite setup was putting the tower outside of my room by punching holes through some walls and running it downstairs. It was by far the most silent rig I've ever had lol.

37. zod96

zod96 Suspected BAD TRADER

38. i2abid

i2abid [H]ard|Gawd

I have the stainless steel version of that and I would advise against it. It lacks a steel frame the nicer desks have as well as depth, and the tabletop is too thick for most monitor arm mounts. Now matter how much you tighten the screws for the legs it'll have some wobble. The jerker/galant and the newer one is a much better purchase in terms of quality, those things are solid!

39. exilelrrp

exilelrrp Limp Gawd

I always do. :D
    [​IMG]

40. vmq

vmq [H]Lite

EDIT: nvm got my question answered.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015