Ikea desk gallery

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by AltTabbins, Sep 1, 2008.

1. fishfreeman

fishfreeman n00b

I've got a Freddie desk like Indnny above and I'm having a hard time finding a multi monitor mount/stand that will fit it. The lower shelf the has a metal support running the length of it at back edge and this prevents clamps from attaching. Other than the metal side panels that can be finnicky, I'm really happy with this desk as a one piece solution.

2. James.1

James.1 n00b

Hi.

Great photos everyone :D.

I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a 160 by 60cm space to fill but Ikea only sell 60cm width Galent desks up 120cm length. I plan to buy two 80 by 60cm
    extension tops and T legs but I'm not sure if I will need two or three T legs. Please can someone with some knowledge answer this?

3. seaneboy

seaneboy Limp Gawd

So funny! When I saw this thread, first thing I thought was.. "SOMEBODY BETTER HAVE MY JERKER OR I'M OUT!"... Glad to see it.. They don't sell it anymore, do they..?

4. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

ikea galant home office setup. the color is black brown. i already posted these to the 2014 workstation thread but figured i would post there here as well. my setup evolves each year (sometimes more frequently if i get bored with it), so here is the latest iteration:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Joe_coral

Joe_coral [H]Lite

Love it!

6. exilelrrp

exilelrrp Limp Gawd

Great setup!

7. viper92086

viper92086 Gawd

Still finishing up the wiring for the cabinet lights, but here is my setup using the Galant w/ glass top.

[​IMG]

8. Gronnie

Gronnie [H]Lite

Will a Summera computer holder hold a Corsair 500R?

9. raymondo

raymondo Limp Gawd

First: looking good.
    However, what means did you use to attach your screens to the wall? I know there are a lot of fixtures out there but your mount seems to be very flat which kind of appeals the eye.

10. viper92086

viper92086 Gawd

The mounts are thee http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...082802&p_id=3613&seq=1&format=3#specification They put the dual 27" monitors just a bit over half an inch away from the wall. I had to use 90 degree hdmi adapters and some hacking of the stock power cable. These monitors operate on external power adapters.

11. Firecop57

Firecop57 n00b

Here are a few updated pics of my Mac and Windows set ups, on my Jerker...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. tjmonsen5

tjmonsen5 [H]Lite

I like the simple clean desks, maybe I need to make a stop at Ikea and see whats out there!

13. owba

owba n00b

I think one of the reasons your desk is wobbly can be seen in the last picture. Those frame bolts don't appear to be tightened to the spec in the instructions. You can clearly see the heads are not tightened to the frame body. This will probably allow the frame to move a bit as when these are tightened down they bite into the frame rails so they won't move.

[​IMG]

14. Sweetleader

Sweetleader Limp Gawd

After wanting a Galant for a good 4 years I finally bought one.

[​IMG]

15. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

I can't believe this thread is almost 6 years old and still going strong. Thanks everyone for posting your Ikea setups, and helping others with questions. It's about time I updated my pictures too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JonSC

JonSC n00b

My entire setup sitting on top of my trusty old Galant.

[​IMG]

17. dogbyte

dogbyte n00b

Hi,

First time poster here. I have a Galant corner desk and another Galant desk in my bedroom. I recently purchased a second 30 in monitor and want to add an extension to the Galant corner desk. How feasible would it be to add the extension without having to flip over the desk? I know I could do that, but I don't want to go through the trouble of clearing the desk. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here's what my current setup looks like:

[​IMG][/url]
    print screen windows 7[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]
    screen shot in windows[/IMG]

18. ballistic

ballistic Gawd

Haha, I can't answer that for you but at least you don't have a lot of stuff to take off of your desk.

19. owba

owba n00b

Having just purchased and put together my first galant I think it would be quite easy to add additional sections to it without flipping it over. You will have an extra leg on the extension side if you dont flip it over and remove the current leg, but I would think it's as easy sliding the new extension frame into the current slots (after bolting that to your extension and adding leg) and bolting them down with the provided hex screws. Also the additional leg mid extension will add some further rigidity so it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

20. nwkrep82

nwkrep82 Limp Gawd

LINNMON corner desk top w/LALLE table legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Nemesis429

Nemesis429 [H]Lite

What monitors are those?, sweet setup by the way.

22. NoxTek

NoxTek The Geek Redneck

[​IMG]

Totally just finished putting it all together, now I just gotta work on cable management and lighting.

I've been casually looking for a Jerker for a few years now, but even moreso the last six months after we moved into a new house. I picked this one up off craigslist for probably more than I should have paid.... but oh well.

Although I still would have bought the desk regardless, the lady didn't tell me it was missing the screws that hold the swing out shelf on - nor that the trim edge was coming off the front corner of the desktop. That wasn't very sporting of her... lol.

Still... so. much. win.

I'm an LED lighting junkie so I'm currently trying to decide if I just want to go with simple warm white LED strip lights under the shelves, or addressable RGB LED strips for variety.

I have one swing out shelf, silver in color, but it's missing the machine screws to attach it to the Jerker. I'll probably pony up the ridiculous amount people are asking on Ebay for a second swing out shelf. I think the speakers would look better on those....

23. hound

hound 2[H]4U

Looking very clean, grats on getting a jerker.

24. oldbigisugly

oldbigisugly Limp Gawd

dat sexy razer diamond back

25. Joe_coral

Joe_coral [H]Lite

+1 for quoting a 6 year old post :p

26. Zodiac444

Zodiac444 n00b

So I plan on making the 4 hour trip to Atlanta for a Galant set up. But before I do I'd like to know if anyone knows if the 63" section and be attached to the 47" section? I'd like to make one long table if possible. Also placing a 2 shelf unit underneath the table in the middle to place my receiver / etc. So I'd like to not have any legs positioned in the center.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

27. DarkStryke

DarkStryke [H]ard|Gawd

Ikea's are famous for that laminate strip peeling off, but it's an easy fix. Get some painters tape and a bottle of weldbond adhesive. Clean up the laminate strip backing as well as you can, apply weldbond to both sides, squeeze it tightly against the desk edge. Wipe off excess with a wet paper towel and then use the painters tape to hold the laminate tightly till it dries.

I've fixed more than one ikea galant that was pulling off in this way, works like a charm.

28. owba

owba n00b

The combinations all almost infinite with the galant system. Check out the assembly manual on IKEAs website and you'll see how it goes together which will help you plan.

The combo you are asking about is quite long and will definitely bolt together. As far as support/is it a good idea that is a long way with no leg in the middle. Perhaps give ikea a call, they could help you out with that. The framing is pretty sturdy so so im guessing you would be fine.

29. Adam

Adam [H]ard|Gawd

Ikea countertop and two Ikea rolling drawer untis (with wheels removed):

[​IMG]

30. zod96

zod96 Suspected BAD TRADER

I have to ask. What do you guys use to hide wires with these Ikea desks? Every desk I have seen from Ikea looks like it would be a nightmare hiding wires. I would like to replace my 10 year old wood desk with a simple Ikea one, but I am really anal about wires. My desk now has a large back to it, so its extreme easy to hide wires. But Ikea desks don't seem to have anything in the back to hide wires. Are you guys using something from Ikea like an add on wire management thing?

31. hound

hound 2[H]4U

This is a bit of a problem with their desks. I know there's some thingy that they sell that you can attach to the underside, but it never looked substantial enough for my needs. I have the Fredrik, which has an utterly useless cable slot thingy underneath it that is somehow necessary for the stability of the whole desk, so I will soon be adding a shelf on top of the slot thing--I'm going to add a series of L-shaped shelf brackets to the underside of a board, then slide the whole thing over the stupid slot thingy. All the power strips will go on top of that, and I'll just bundle the cables around them. I'll probably use split loom for the wires running along the sides of the desk. I can share pictures when I do it.

32. i2abid

i2abid [H]ard|Gawd

Ikea Sigmund or something like that is a wire basket for hiding all the cables, I bought 5 of them on sale for $5.99 years ago.

33. griffinz

griffinz n00b

This:

[​IMG]

34. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

i use these

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20195596/

35. Adam

Adam [H]ard|Gawd

I put two of these under my "countertop" (really a desk but the countertops work better):

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30200253/

You can't see it unless you look under the desk and you don't see any wires dangling, except for power cords going into the APC's

Here is a photo as I was putting everything in. I have an APC on the left/right behind the drawers so you don't see any power cords. They all route up, under the desk and go into the wire tray and than down. Same for all other wires. Everything is tucked into the wire trays, even the network wires, they come out of the wall and straight up, so all you see are 5 or so network wires and 2 power cords that go straight up. Nice and neat

[​IMG]

36. hordak

hordak Limp Gawd

just cleaned up my Galant. still need to get some proper cable management.

[​IMG]

37. Smashed Ixnay

Smashed Ixnay 2[H]4U

Finally got around to making the new cpu desk. Ended up getting me a section, the wife a section for her school work, and the left is her 'craft' area. I really don't care for it there, but I'm not going to complain cause I finally was able to upgrade my office area. :) I put the desk together last night, but the cabinets were a pain in the butt! i started about 9am this morning and finished a little before 10pm. Luckily I had my wife to help me install the cabinets on the wall. I hope to never do anything like this again, LOL!

[​IMG]

I still have tons of cable management to do, along with some lighting. I may add a wall panel, but not sure. I'm going to build/buy something that I can set my cpu case on, because I don't like it on the desk. I'm going to get a full tower rig soon, so it'll fit nicely to the right of my desk with plenty of space to cool correctly. I plan on getting another monitor too, since I now have the room for one! I also need to finish the baseboard and get some things on the wall. :p

I got my idea from Faction's Ikea thread about a year and a half ago. I really only wanted it to be about as big as his setup, but some of the stuff wasn't available in store, so I worked with what they had.

My only regret is that I have to get used to being at an angle now, oppossed to looking straight torwards the wall. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

38. HDriscoll

HDriscoll Limp Gawd

I used this: http://www.mockett.com/wire-cable-management/wire-managers/wm3.html
    Just bought a couple more for my entertainment center and my computer desk which is undergoing a slight transformation.
    They are screwed to the bottom of the desk.

39. Joe_coral

Joe_coral [H]Lite

At first glance I thought they were monitors! Haha

40. mangapc

mangapc Limp Gawd

Nice clean setup you got there. I like how the monitors are wall mounted. Great job.