I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Well you guys sucked me in. I thought I had retired. Hadn't modded in a couple years. Haven't been here in so long my username was invalid. Saw what you guys were doing with the A05 annd decided it was time to jump back in.

Just getting started but it's going to have a DFI LP JR P45 T2RS, Q6600 and a 4850. I have access to anodizers and powder coaters through work so it's tempting to go all out, but I think we'll start slow and see where we end up.

Thanks to all the great modders here for the inspiration. . .

so far

medium.jpg

Where's the best place to buy one of these things?

I got mine at Newegg. They're on sale for $79 right now.

Got it togethre after moving things around half a dozen times. So far so good. Have some cable management to do yet- but it's not bad (especially since I don't have a window yet)

I ended up mounting the HD in the bottom 5¼ bay on elastic cord to keep it nice an quiet. With the cage out and the vented bay cover drive temps are staying around 34°C. Case front and rear case fans (stock for now) are controlled with a rear controller as is the GPU cooler.

I just got this case and I've been reading quite a bit about it and I know that this case creates a pocket of hot air around the top of the case.

I have a hot running 8800GT and above it will be a hot running TV Tuner and above that will be a sound card. I'm kinda worried about overheating.

Do you think a side fan like this (the one on left in the metal enclosure) will help out? Its the only reason I haven't transferred my stuff over.

I'm hoping it does. The case is sooo sexy I really wanna make use of it.

Thanks

It should, or you can purchase a pci slot fan to make it simple, or if you have the tools, cut a 120mm hole at the top.

Im actually very interested in this case, i do have one question, can the power supply be mounted upside down? So the psu fan act as another exhaust? My current masstige has the same motherboard setup, meaning its upside down so it will be no problem.

I was tempted to pull the trigger, but shiping cost brings the case out of my budget. :( if anyone knows a place that is selling it for around the same tag with free shipping, let me know.

It should, or you can purchase a pci slot fan to make it simple, or if you have the tools, cut a 120mm hole at the top.

Im actually very interested in this case, i do have one question, can the power supply be mounted upside down? So the psu fan act as another exhaust? My current masstige has the same motherboard setup, meaning its upside down so it will be no problem.

I was tempted to pull the trigger, but shiping cost brings the case out of my budget. :(

Yes. You can mountthe PSU either way.

im not sure if this info is much use to people and someone may have discovered this, i know it has been said you need to remove the hard drive cage by removing the rivets in order to replace the front fan, well it can be done without removing the cage or rivets.

heatexchanger016Medium.jpg

Yeah, you can just slide it out the bottom by sliding the PSU forward. Thanks for showing us a picture and not telling us though.. I bet you were waiting for someone to say "omg how did you do that?!?" so you could get some self gratification by teaching someone something they don't already know.

He-he, I meant this thread as the manual ;), not the piece of paper they ship with the case. This thread mentions it multiple times that the front fan is removable (without messing with the rivets). Also, the mere shape of the cutouts for the fan screws makes one think that the fan is removable (hey, which case has an irremovable fan these days?)

As far as reading the thread .. although it is 129 pages long -- it's a very-very interesting read. One of the best computer-related threads on a public forum I ever read. It's also a huge source of inspiration and ideas on what's possible with this little case.

just as an FYI, you can easily make your drive cage removeable. Go to harbor freight and buy this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1210

All you have to do is drill out the holes on the HD cage a little bigger and pop 4 of the 6-32 threaded inserts into it. Use some standard thumb screws and voila, removeable drive cage that looks sexy too...

OH yeah, and an added bonus, if you want to use a thicker fan in the front you can use some spacers to get you the extra room between the front of the case and the HD cage.

;)

Here's mine

Paid $100 to have it powerdercoated. Flat black. Perfection Powdercoating in Pearl River, NY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/forgedVR6/008.jpg

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/forgedVR6/001.jpg[/QUOTE]

$100 is a great price. How did you do the holes in your motherboard tray? Clean job if you did it with hand tools.

got done putting all my stuff in the A05

Really liking this case. More then enough room for all my stuff. Looks good and is small enough to move around.

fartherqj1.jpg

outerqj2.jpg

dont know why the faceplate looks dirty. it isnt. also i need to buy a stealth drive kit for the dvd.

What's up with Tom's hardware and a few other sites trumpeting the announcement of Lian-Li A05N and showing pictures of what seems to be one of the more anciaent revisions of A05B? What am I not getting?

The only difference I've been able to come up with so far are:
1). removable top
2). more "breathable" PCI slot covers

Maybe I'm missing something though. If they put a 120mm blowhole in the top, that would make my day.

^^ that + tool-less 5.25" bays ... I just don't get it when it's positioned like an entirely new case.

I just got one of these and put an older system into it. It's a really nice case. It's good to see Lian Li got the "front power supply" cases right, finally. The PC-V800 is a nightmare and cramped. I have one of those too.

According to the Corsair homepage, the dimensions of these PSUs are as follows:

1000 W = 150 mm x 200 mm x 86 mm
0750 W = 150 mm x 160 mm x 86 mm
0650 W = 150 mm x 140 mm x 86 mm

The only indication I could find towards that it would fit, is a website where you can customise the PC to your liking:

FrozenCPU

Besides this, who on earth needs a one kW PSU I wonder ?
I mean c'mon, 99% of all users are happy with 500 W, hell even 350 would suit most, let alone 1000 W.

Don't follow the hype and don't get all funked up just on theoretical numbers.

Just my $0.02 :cool:

According to the Corsair homepage, the dimensions of these PSUs are as follows:

1000 W = 150 mm x 200 mm x 86 mm
0750 W = 150 mm x 160 mm x 86 mm
0650 W = 150 mm x 140 mm x 86 mm

The only indication I could find towards that it would fit, is a website where you can customise the PC to your liking:

FrozenCPU

Besides this, who on earth needs a one kW PSU I wonder ?
I mean c'mon, 99% of all users are happy with 500 W, hell even 350 would suit most, let alone 1000 W.

Don't follow the hype and don't get all funked up just on theoretical numbers.

Just my $0.02 :cool:

Thanks for the Link and PSU measures, oh btw I don't want to trust my GTX295 on my current Corsair 520 :)

Just did a bit of modding to my A05. I made the HDD removable (drilled out the rivets and added long scews/nuts)

What it started off as...
DSC_0666.jpg

Awaiting my new 4850 X2 and AMD Phenom II 940
DSC_0669.jpg

Gives you an idea of how long this card really is...
DSC_0680.jpg

Almost done...
DSC_0686.jpg

Finished (I'm waiting to get a modular PSU to manage these cables and remove the HDD rack) Both of the 120mm fans are Scythe's.
DSC_0688.jpg

Thanks for the Link and PSU measures, oh btw I don't want to trust my GTX295 on my current Corsair 520 :)
I'm running two EVGA 8800 GTS 512's on a Corsair HX520. Corsair assured me it could handle this and it's been running stable for some weeks now. Surely a GTX 295 won't pull more than the power required to run 2x 8800 gts 512's?

@Marcus000
just wondering what powder coating did u use?
like what kind and do u have any picture of the can or something?

@Marcus000
just wondering what powder coating did u use?
like what kind and do u have any picture of the can or something?

I do indeed, we laid down a silver base coat then shot a purple candy over the top of it.

45-1.jpg

5lb Tub of Lollypop purple:

Powder003.jpg

3235558646_ee77d8ab18_b.jpg

3234706683_3878c49ae4_b.jpg

UGH....Heating issues. I have just cleaned my computer. Its a cool 72 F here in LA and my video card hates me. My E8400 @ 4.0 GHz w/ a Zalman 9700NT runs at 35C idle/ 51C full load is just fine with me, however, my GTX 260 @ 700/1500/2400 runs at almost 100C @ FULL LOAD where it then decides to shut down. Even with original speeds of 620/1300/2150 and the fan cranked to 80% I am still hitting 85-90C in FULL load. I have my chassis fans running @ 75% all the time and everything is CLEANNNN. What else am I supposed to do. The card is brand new, not defective and is clean too. The worst part of this all is, even though the case is in front of a window with some decent airflow at times and with the side panel off, IM STILL HAVING THESE TEMPS!!! Stagnant warm air everywhere! Its ridiculous. I'm getting to the point where I really just want to move to an Antec 300 with 5 case fans so I can get rid of this issue. Dont, get me wrong, I love the layout of my case, the way it looks, and the build quality, but with these temps....I dont know how much longer I can do this for.

My rig isn't even that packed:
E8400@ 4.0 w/ 9700nt
EVGA 780i
150GB Raptor
1TB Storage
DVD burner
X-Fi sound card
HEATER - GTX 260
All wires are tucked away too!

I was thinking...hey perforate the side panel with a million holes and mount a fan on that, cut out a hole or two on the top and put 2 120mm fans up top, perforate the front panel so the front fan has a better air path, but for the cost of finding someone to so all those cuts, just the cuts ALONE....w/o the fans I could afford a brand new Antec 300....WHAT DO I DO GUYS???? I'm fed up and lost cause I love this damn case, but the HEATTTT, oh the heattt...Do I pay to cut all the holes...or do I just sell my case and use that money to get the Antec 300 and 3 extra fans for an even price???

Have you tried using a PCI slot cooler?

I solved that issue by using a side mounted fan... it keeps my temps alright.

Back