I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

How much did it cost your to anodize the case? I would like to do it to mine. Either that or powder coat, maybe even just spray paint it.

It cost me $60 from a place where we have a lot of stuff done for work. Not sure if they were giving me a break or not. Anodize is nice because it matches the outside finish perfectly and is very tough. One thing to note though is all the rivets and threaded inserts have to be removed from the parts being done because one of the steps is an acid etch so any steel will oxidize quite badly.

I've done a few in the past in various colors. A silver and blue and a red and black. I decided to keep this one simple.

One added bonus I wasn't planning on were all my temps dropping considerably. I guess the black interior absorbs heat better than the silver which must have reflected it so I get a better heat sink effect from the case. Still seems crazy but my temps are down 3-4°C across the board and even more for the hard disc. Nothing else in the case changed so I really have no other way to explain it.

large.jpg

It cost me $60 from a place where we have a lot of stuff done for work. Not sure if they were giving me a break or not. Anodize is nice because it matches the outside finish perfectly and is very tough. One thing to note though is all the rivets and threaded inserts have to be removed from the parts being done because one of the steps is an acid etch so any steel will oxidize quite badly.

I've done a few in the past in various colors. A silver and blue and a red and black. I decided to keep this one simple.

One added bonus I wasn't planning on were all my temps dropping considerably. I guess the black interior absorbs heat better than the silver which must have reflected it so I get a better heat sink effect from the case. Still seems crazy but my temps are down 3-4°C across the board and even more for the hard disc. Nothing else in the case changed so I really have no other way to explain it.

Thanks for the info. Is it hard to rivet the case back together? The temps drop is a nice bonus. I have an PC-A16, so I might just do that. Have to call some metal shop to get a price quote.

Thanks for the info. Is it hard to rivet the case back together? The temps drop is a nice bonus. I have an PC-A16, so I might just do that. Have to call some metal shop to get a price quote.

No, riveting a case together is quite easy. You can get rivet guns at places like Home depot for a few bucks. Rivets are cheap too. Check the yellow pages under "plating" most decent sized towns will have a coulpe shops.

How easy was it take remove the rivets? I have no experience with taking apart cases so excuse the ignorance.

You got it, just drill to remove.Probably the hardest part of the whole thing is remembering how everything goes back together. Like which is the right side of the drive cage vs. the left. But that's not bad and if I had taken pics before for reference it would have been even easier.

anyone know the most efficient way of removing the top panel from the case?

planning to cut a blow hole on top to help the hot pocket of air on top escape and lower temps. i already ordered a fan grill and i have a low dB fan. I could take out all my stuff from the case but it would be such a hassle.

any advice?

haadij404, imagine the hassle of having to replace one of your components b/c an aluminum shaving (from drilling out the rivets) got onto it ... doesn't taking out the guts before drilling make more sense now? Also, once you've cut a blowhole and slap a fan onto it, you'd want it to be a serviceable area .. therefore you probably want to make your top (repeatedly) removable, which may require some additional work on the case. You certainly want the components out of the case while you're working on it.
Lastly, I believe LL is releasing (has released?) A05N, which is in essence an A05B with removable top.

Hi Everyone, I'm a new owner of the case. I like how small my case is. Can you help me make it a bit more quiet? I have a corsair 550w psu, articfreezer 64 pro, Yates 120 mm fans x2 and a x850 xt with the fan really quiet. My temps are cpu surfing the net around 34ish and mother board stays around 40-45 never higher. Gaming the cpu temp hits 42 and the mb around 45. For cooling I removed all my pci slot cover and place a fan filter. My gpu stays around 50ish never going over 60. What else can I do to keep it cool and quiet? Don't really want to make holes in the case.

Kipliq, you seem to be doing much better than average in terms of keeping your components cool. One reversible mod that helps with coolness (pun intended) is rumored to be to tape the bottom side of the 3.5" bezel to prevent exhausted warm air from going back into the case. As far as making case quiet, you need to determine the loudest component first. I'd suspect it's either video-card fan or chassis exhaust (front) fan. If the latter -- put a Noctua/Scythe/Silverstone (there're quieter choices within these brands that pull more air than Yates) . If it's the video-card fan ... well, it's probably going to be more complicated, but most likely the answer is again in some sort of after-market cooling solution.

I unplugged my 2 fans and i could tell the difference, I guess I will have to buy new fans. I just purchased the yates... :(

I don't know if it's been asked already, but do they make windows for these cases or does it have to be custom?

There used to be a custom window panel available for the G50 from PPCs I believe that fit this case, but it's no longer sold. If you want a window, you have to mod it.

Performance PCS makes custom A05B with a window for $50-60 more than regular price.

That is interesting, and partially explainable. What we see as black is really just a lack of light being emitted or reflected by an object. When you had the case anodized black, the obvious result was that it reflected less light from the visible spectrum (absorbing it instead), but the process also makes the case absorb wavelengths above and below the visible light spectrum as well.

Basically, I think the increased heatsink effect is the result of the case now absorbing infra-red light...though I don't know if this alone would be enough to produce the huge temperature differences you're seeing.

will the Q9550 be too hot in this case? And is this case loud?

I'm running a Q9550 with a Zalman CNPS 8700 NT. Case fans are on a rheobus and I have a Lian-Li BS-08 PCI slot cooler above a 4850 with a Zalman VF1000 cooler (also on a rheo) my case is dead silent (the scroll wheel on my MX revolution is louder than my PC while surfing)

Here are my idle temps

temps.jpg

With all the fans on full it becomes audible but not in the least noisy (I replaced the Lian Li Case fans with an Enermax Cluster UCCL12 and a Gelid Wing 12 as the stocks were a little loud for my tastes.

I have also mounted the hard drive in the CD rom bays suspended using stretch magic elastic cord as the HDD was the loudest thing in the case after changing the fans. (I removed the original HDD bay) I opted for only an external CD/DVD drive as I rarely use one anymore and wanted to keep the HDD temps as low as possible.

I think the most important thing to decent cooling in this case is venting the video card. either a couple 120mm blow holes up top or a good pci cooler like the Lian-Li (if you have room. I am running a mATX board so it's a good fit for me) are good options, also vented PCI covers are a good idea.

That is interesting, and partially explainable. What we see as black is really just a lack of light being emitted or reflected by an object. When you had the case anodized black, the obvious result was that it reflected less light from the visible spectrum (absorbing it instead), but the process also makes the case absorb wavelengths above and below the visible light spectrum as well.

Basically, I think the increased heatsink effect is the result of the case now absorbing infra-red light...though I don't know if this alone would be enough to produce the huge temperature differences you're seeing.
That was basically my thinking and the temp difference also seems a little larger than makes sense to me- but I guess at this point I will just be happy they are where they are. :cool:

^^^, slotted slot covers (an interested tautology) + toolless 5.25" bays just off the top of my head

I still wanna move my dell from its case into this but it uses a microatx mobo so that would give me room at the top to add a radiator with breathing room.

seriously it doesnt look any better than those $30-40 cases.

You must have bad taste then. Those $30-40 cases are 75% plastic, have bad cable management, and are structurally weak so they get damaged during shipping.

wow relax peeps its just a case don't take it personally. It's not like I insulted your mothers.
I'm sure it had fantastic cable managemente and its probably made out if titanium, but I was talking from the aesthetic perspective, from the outside it looks really ugly and plain for an expensive case.

Now a case that is pretty plain but its pretty good looking is the antec p180 series.

wow relax peeps its just a case don't take it personally. It's not like I insulted your mothers.
I'm sure it had fantastic cable managemente and its probably made out if titanium, but I was talking from the aesthetic perspective, from the outside it looks really ugly and plain for an expensive case.

Now a case that is pretty plain but its pretty good looking is the antec p180 series.

you cant come into a massive thread of a05b owners and expect us to throw you a parade. You are obviously in the minority here and you wont get answers you are looking for. I recommend you stop baiting and leave this thread be.

----

anways I just got done with my blow hole.

I have figured out how to give this case amazing cooling powers. You need a top blow hole and a side intake fan. Blow cool air over the graphics and other add on cards and the blow expels the heat from them.

Its good stuff.

some pictures of the blow hole and stuff.

dsc01287pi3.jpg

dsc01289ui3.jpg

dsc01293eu2.jpg

i am going to change the screws from silver to black so it looks more uniform.

My graphics card dropped from 50c to 42c. My cpu from 45c to 39c. Pretty damn impressive. Now this case cools with the best of them :D

i have an a05 for my main pc and i like the way it looks :confused:

different strokes for different folks i guess :p

Yeah the blow hole helps a lot. With it it dropped my video card temps by about 8c. My cpu temps remained pretty much the same but I don't have the side intake fan. I don't mind though because it's already overclocked as far as it can go safely at good temps.

i have an a05 for my main pc and i like the way it looks :confused:

different strokes for different folks i guess :p

Exactly.

If you want a $40 case with tons of plastic and bright blue LED fans that make your buddies go 'OMG SO COOL', then go for it. If you want a quality case from a quality manufacturer, then come on back in here to see the light. Until then, you can stop trolling.

Back