I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

What is the model of your power supply?

It seems you are slightly backward. The power supply exhausts its hot air into the front bezel. Perhaps its intake ("PSU points down") is blocked or you have a defective power supply.

The rear 92mm fans are designed to act as intakes. Do yourself a favor and cut out the rear grills, then ditch the factory 92mm fan and install two of these.

No case is perfect. They are a form upon which you work your magic.

Good luck.

Hi, the solution turned out to be rather more mundane. The front 120mm fan had become disconnected, henced the heat build-up around the PSU and the HDDs. Thank god for that...

Here's are the Yates! :D

Accelero S1 + 2x 120mm Yate Loon's held up by the Sunbeam PCI anywhere rack. Time to push my 8800GT even further! Also replaced the stock intake and Tuniq Tower's fan.
IMG_1772.jpg

Here it is with the new fan controller installed. Nice and clean, <3 A05B.
IMG_1770.jpg

BTW, is there a way to switch out the stock exhaust fan without having to drill out the HDD cage?

Yep. The intake fan is easy. For the exhaust fan, you need to remove the PSU bracket and let the fan drop down. I replaced both stock fans myself.

Ok finally here's my pics of the finished product:

I still need to colour those top screws black... or i'll likely end up replacing them for flat black anodised self-tapping screws... but i had none at the time so they had to do!

The top two fexhaust ans are at 5v with both intakes at 7v... all fans are of course Yate Loons. The GPU is running 100% passive, and the CPU HSF is currently being cooled only by the rear intake fan... yes it's warm at 56c idle, but it's stable as a rock (heavy gaming tested) so while I will add a fan at 7v to it later, i'm not in any rush to do so.

Very happy with it... besides the cable management which I really suck at lol. :D

That's not all that bad for a GPU. Their threshold is usually 100C.

lol no that is the CPU. It's hot, yes, but well within tolerances and as I said is 100% stable. CPU's can take over 70 before there's a real problem... it's what they're designed for. I'll add a fan at 7v soon but no rush.

I received sicminded's A05B in mint condition. The first thing I noticed is that aluminum is definitely thinner than my ATC-201B. Aside from that, it's one very sleek and small case.

i know its been mentioned before in this huge post several times. i noticed when i remove the front panel theres a huge difference in both idle and load temps about 4-5c difference. i have not done any mods yet.
what i'm wondering is should i...
1. cut a front 120 hole like kadozer
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032505039&postcount=1902
2. cut a single or dual 120 blowhole up top?
3. do both?

does doing #2 negate any gains in doing #1?
is there any gain in doing #2 if you have already done #1?

Ok..I sold my silver A05 with the G50 side panel..and I've cryed every day since.. :)
Now I want to build a new but...black one and ppc does not sell the side panel any more..do any of you guy know where I can buy one,,so I can stop crying..boohoo..
pst or please post info here..thanks
'Dark

Can anybody get me a real close-up shot of the FPIO1 on this case with an abit-ip35 pro motherboard used? I seem to try every combo but my lights on the front of the case are not working. I though i was following the manual correctly but they still arent working, i just want to make sure one last time before i declare the LEDs dead.

Let's say I work up the nerve to use a hole saw to make a blowhole. Since the rear of the case is intake, I'm trying to decide to make the blowhole intake or exhaust.

On one hand, the top rear corner gets saturated with hot air without some kind of exhaust. Right now I'm using a slot cooler. It works but it's loud. An exhaust blowhole would probably work even better minus the noise.

On the other hand, if the blowhole were intake, it would feed my 9800GTX with theoretically cooler air. The air coming from the exhaust vent of my video card is super hot. I think it's around 60-61C. So instead of exhausting the hot air that my video card gets, why not put an intake blowhole right above it and maybe run my exhaust fan a little faster than the intakes?

An intake on top doesn't work so well because it ends up forcing hot air down into the rest of your case as the video card exhaust doesn't move enough air. In my case, the GPU temps went down some, but all other temps went up. Since hot air rises, putting exhaust fans up there works best. I would say this is the absolutely best mod you can do to this case if you have a high performance GPU.

As for putting an exhaust fan on the front of the case, my temps have never given me a reason to do so. Sure, you might be dropping 5c by taking the front off, but are your original temps that bad in the first place? I guess I'm just saying to think about if you really need those few extra degrees knocked off.

i mentioned this a few posts back on this thread when i still owned an a05. but i had an a05 with sli 8800 gtx. the top card is so close to the blowhole that i had to use the blowhole as an intake. with it as an exhaust, it was robbing air from the top 8800 gtx causing it to overheat. using it as an intake, the top 8800 gtx gets fresh air and was way cooler than the bottom card.

but in the case of a single 8800 gtx, i was running the blowhole as an exhaust.. and worked fine that way. you could feel a lot of hot air coming out.

Yeah. I hadn't thought about an intake blowhole pushing the hot air back down into the case. My temps with the slot cooler are pretty good. During the summer now, my CPU is usually between 40-50C, but it's in an upstairs room so it gets hot anyway, especially with the computer running. I'm just getting tired of the slot cooler's noise.

i think the best setup possible is this.
1. back intake
2. front intake
3. powersupply fan reverse into intake.
4. dual top blowhole exhaust.
5. video card (8800/9800) exhaust.

cools your hard drive and psu better, case gets more airflow that will get pushed to the top, gpu will have plenty of airflow, ie it wont be starved since there is 3x 120 intakes.

i really want to do my mod this way. the only thing holding me back is that i don't know if reversing my powersupply fan on my Corsair 520HX will adversely affect it. since i have no way to monitor the temp of my powersupply i have no idea if the reverse fan will be better, worse, or same.

i know a few people have talked about doing the reverse fan mod on the 520/620HX, did anyone have any success with it?

Can anybody get me a real close-up shot of the FPIO1 on this case with an abit-ip35 pro motherboard used? I seem to try every combo but my lights on the front of the case are not working. I though i was following the manual correctly but they still arent working, i just want to make sure one last time before i declare the LEDs dead.

How about this:

edit: updated picture, added colors

has anyone tried the setup i outlined above? for people putting in dual top blowholes it seems to me like its the best possible case.

like what other possible combinations are there?
1. intake: back 120 exhaust: front 120, powersupply 120, videocard, 2x 120 blowhole
-seems like way too much negative pressure wouldn't want to deal with the dust, it might still work pretty decent but seems far from the best case scenario.
2. intake: back 120, 2x 120 blowhole exhaust: front 120, powersupply 120, video card
-like alot of people have reported this doesn't work very well because the hot air gets pushed down into the case and ends up with worse temps

3. intake: back 120, front 120, powersupply 120 exhaust: 2x 120 blowhole, video card.
-Ding Ding Ding! Seems like a winner
-slight positive pressure= less dust getting in through non filtered openings
-better airflow design, cool air comes in from the bottom, hot air makes there way to the top and back and exits the case
-no more hot air pooling in the front of the case, might completely negate the need for a front blowhole which would be great cuz i love the way the front of this case looks.
-cool air intake over hard drive vs warm air exiting over hard drive, better cooling for hdd
-adds more intakes to the case without jeopardizing temps (ie dual blowholes into intakes)

anyone else have any thoughts?

hey everyone! In deciding which case to get, I came across this thread and fell in love with the A05.

This was my first time building a computer and things actually went pretty smoothly until I tried to put in my video card. It seems that the PCI slot doesn't line up with the expansion slot (I'm probably using incorrect terms). So when I try to install the graphics card, it just hits between the slots. In fact, it sort of looks like none of them line up?

I got a 9800GTX and an abit ip35 motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130349 -- graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030 -- motherboard

Is it the motherboard or the case? I want to keep both but not sure if its one or the other... suggestions?

img2040ok0.jpg

Thanks.

Heh, you got a few things wrong, I can already see that the Zalman is mounted incorrectly, it should be facing the front or the rear

And you want to remove the PCI slot bracket right above the 2 you already opened, then close the very bottom one.

Is mine, although it's a GTS 320, it's still a dual-slot card with the same motherboard and case.

I believe with the Zalman you want the fan blades pointing towards the back of the case (So the air goes through towards the front) because the A05 is reverse airflow.

hey everyone! In deciding which case to get, I came across this thread and fell in love with the A05.

This was my first time building a computer and things actually went pretty smoothly until I tried to put in my video card. It seems that the PCI slot doesn't line up with the expansion slot (I'm probably using incorrect terms). So when I try to install the graphics card, it just hits between the slots. In fact, it sort of looks like none of them line up?

I got a 9800GTX and an abit ip35 motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130349 -- graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030 -- motherboard

Is it the motherboard or the case? I want to keep both but not sure if its one or the other... suggestions?

img2040ok0.jpg

Thanks.

The top slot cover that you have removed and the one above it are the ones that need to be removed (like Blazestorm says). It looks like the board is aligned to the slots pretty damn close if not dead on.

I compared i picture of my board with yours, and by looking at the CD audio connector between the 2nd and 3rd (from the top) slot covers, it looks centered between the two slot covers, just like on mine.

Thanks for the quick replies! Too bad I'm going back to my college for the week for summer school. I did a cursory fit after removing the card slot above and it's still pretty tight... some fiddling might have to be done before the card will go in, somehow.

Oh and I wasn't sure about the heatsink. My big brother, after we put it in, was saying that it didn't seem right but we're both noobs so I wasn't sure :p

I'll be trying again this weekend and post, thanks! ^_^

You might have to remove the slot cover above it too... just for the installation...

They have an angle towards the top of the slot which makes them a pain when installing cards. Instead of going straight up and down (logical right?) LianLi threw in an angle at the end that overlaps with other slots.

And the tabs at the bottom of the bracket on the end of the video-card go into the holes right past the motherboard, you can sorta see the slots in the picture above (not mine)

Good luck with it :D It's always fun learning/making mistakes (As long as they don't cost money :D )

Got mine done two!! Let the pictures do the speaking:

LianLi1.jpg

LianLi2.jpg

Mods:
- Scythe Kaze Master
- Side window
- Air fan on top, to let all the heat out!!
- Inside is painted black
- Replaced rear fan with a led fan.
- Spire sound absorbing mats
- Replaced blue power led with a less powerful green led
- (not on a picture) Modded the HD bracket to guide all wires to the side of the case

Nice inside painting. What products did you use for it? And why didn't you paint the outer parts?

WOW LionheartNL81, nice job!

I like the louvered top blowhole, can you post some closeups and details on it. That's the only blowhole I've seen, that I would actually consider putting on my second A05B case.

Thanks for all your compliments!

The paint I use is just a can of spay-paint you can buy at the local hardware-shop. That's also where I found the blowhole cover.
It's an pre-fabricated cover for any household air-vent. Only I sprayed it black and put it on a computer case :D.

Here some more inside pictures:

LianLi3.jpg

Cable job

LianLi4.jpg

Back side of the plexi window, with double sided (industrial) tape

LianLi5.jpg

Upper blowhole

LianLi6.jpg

Inside the upper blowhole

I don't have much more plans with the case. Maybe I will paint the dvd drives and add one or two small CCFL's, but for now it's good.

Ow, my previous case: click-click (Dutch page)
But because all this lightning was fun when I was a litte boy at age of 20 :p, I now made this more "seriously" PC-A05B, and am very pleased with it!! :cool::cool:

has any of you though about a possible problem with mobo wiht heatpipes, being up side down and as a result not working properly? I presume it depends on the type of heatpipes used (with a wick or not)... but really I have no idea... I'm just building a rig with ASUS p5e and was wondering...

Back