I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Replaced all AS5 with MX-2 and replaced my crappy nb heatsink, getting excellent temperatures across the board.
When I put it back together I accidently reversed my intake fan and was getting HORRIBLE temperature of 45+ idle, noticed this and fixed it and its running solid cool again. That bottom chamber airflow on this case is very important.
Idle temp is still similar but my Load Temps have dropped about 10C which is awesome. Went from something like 65 61 61 65 to 54 48 48 54 give or take 2-3C.

Nice but I have a suggestion. Have you thought about changing the position of the fan on the CPU heatsink to the other side and blowing towards the front of the case? Since that rear fan is already bringing new air to the heatsink like 1 inch away its a little redundant. A lot of ppl in this thread are doing that including myself. You should note that Ive been too lazy to actually test temperatures though.

I'll consider giving this a try but probably not until my bolt through kit arrives from Xigmatek; I had a pretty smooth build and installation and I hate screwing with something that works just fine.

Haha I like how THATS the thing youre asking about from that picture.

Well....ya, of course. I mean how much longer can we keep talking about dryer lint cloths for fan filters in here anyway. Just trying to liven things up, heh.

Quick question about this case...Can the front 120mm fan be easily removed? Or you have to drill out the rivots to remove the HDD cage, THEN remove the 120mm?

Quick question about this case...Can the front 120mm fan be easily removed? Or you have to drill out the rivots to remove the HDD cage, THEN remove the 120mm?

No, you have to remove the PSU, then remove the 120mm from the bottom of the HDD cage.

It's a PITA, but not that hard, also gotta route the cable for the fan through the front (or back of the HDD cage, where you install the HDD's from)

BEFORE:

0508082159wh6.jpg

0508082200ps5.jpg

AFTER:

0514081902al5.jpg

I put my 2 fans back in there to cool the 9800GTX's a little better, and the 2x120 blowhole gets rid of all the heat up there.

Oh wow, that's a nifty little device!

I'm assuming you have to leave the side panel off though...unless you have the G-50 side panel? Also, wouldn't it be better if you switched the top fans to intake so that the top 9800GTX can get cool supply of air? I could be wrong, but I think you're depriving the top 9800GTX considering its fan is an intake.

The Sunbeam PCI wherever can hold 2 120mm fans or did you have add another bracket yourself? Thinking of getting one and retire the zip ties on my Accelero S1 :p.

the...pictures...are....so...large..and...so...crappy...can't...take...much...more... ;)

Oh wow, that's a nifty little device!

I'm assuming you have to leave the side panel off though...unless you have the G-50 side panel? Also, wouldn't it be better if you switched the top fans to intake so that the top 9800GTX can get cool supply of air? I could be wrong, but I think you're depriving the top 9800GTX considering its fan is an intake.
Yeah the sidepanel is usually off, and I have the top fans as exhausts because the 9800s put out a lot of heat, and I dont want it to get trapped up top. They are around 65c for the bottom one and 68c load for the top.

The Sunbeam PCI wherever can hold 2 120mm fans or did you have add another bracket yourself? Thinking of getting one and retire the zip ties on my Accelero S1 :p.
I didn't add another bracket, but there is just enough room on the edge to put a screw through the fan and into the edge of the pci rack.

the...pictures...are....so...large..and...so...crappy...can't...take...much...more... ;)
I will blame that on my cellphone, bad lighting, and being too lazy to click the drop down menu on imageshack to resize them. :)

Hey Viper, I noticed you got 2x 120mm striped Radgrill up top, did you buy the screws and bolts separately or did they come with it?

Just ordered 4 Yate Loon low speed fans and the Sunbeam PCI device, will update once I put everything together.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

a05_fs.jpg

actually considering selling mya05. trying to go tri-sli, and double 120.2 radiator, and 1200W psu, and i don't think its gonna fit. originally $160 @pcps (+$20 for top blowhole). wanting $100 +shipping. as you can see from the pic above, not used very long... love this case tho, just didn't think i'd be picking up so much stuff.

Well. by my estimation, you wont need 2 120mm rads. I have the same apogee drive, also cooling one 8800GTX, with one 240mm rad and nothing ever gets over 55C. And my rad is inside the case. As for tri-SLI, you might want to consider this article:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ5NiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

And I quote: "GeForce 9800 GTX SLI will allow you to run it at 2560x1600, but 3-way SLI will not improve upon this."

Of course thats if you run 9800 GTX's

I have seen 8800 GTX SLI work out just fine for this case temp wise, and you wont need the 10inch long PSU either.

Just my 2 cents.

Why exactly did you post?

Hey, everyone, elektronisch wants us to know that he thinks this thread is stupid, clearly thinking it'll earn him cool points.

Keeping the thread alive. Just added a 120mm Radgrill in the front to let the exhaust and power supply fans breathe air out. Last pocket of hot air in the case design finally gone.

Edit: Still experimenting with different meshes. Probably will add a blue led fan radgrill glow frame and some better black colored screws.
Just an early experiment.
f_IMG0264m_96bf874.jpg

Well. by my estimation, you wont need 2 120mm rads. I have the same apogee drive, also cooling one 8800GTX, with one 240mm rad and nothing ever gets over 55C. And my rad is inside the case. As for tri-SLI, you might want to consider this article:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ5NiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

And I quote: "GeForce 9800 GTX SLI will allow you to run it at 2560x1600, but 3-way SLI will not improve upon this."

Of course thats if you run 9800 GTX's

I have seen 8800 GTX SLI work out just fine for this case temp wise, and you wont need the 10inch long PSU either.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for your input. if your sig is current, i believe it's easier to cool a dual processor than a quad. i have a q6600 clocked at 3.375 ghz with 1.40 V, i see 66C temps on the hottest core when priming. (well 78F+ room temp doesnt help either) normally idle temps are just below 40C, but the weather is heating up with summer around the corner, these last few days with my room temps in the 80F+, idle temps are up to around 44C, and i bet if i ran prime95, i would see over 70C. this is with just a 120.2 radiator dedicated to the cpu.

as far as 8800 gtx temps in this case, they are okay. on a cooler day (~75F room temps), i don't see over 83C on the gpus. but again, with the hotter days coming around, my gpu temps are way up to the point where games are crashing. the case is not totally to blame, my room temps were way high (85F+), but i believe a bigger case will help, especially with a 3rd 8800 gtx crammed in there.

i also agree that going tri-sli benefits are minimal, but the performance improvements are there, just trying to max out my setup. i have also found two psu units that are the same dimensions as whats in my case now, coolermaster 1250W and the silverstone st1200, so you can definately have some high wattage psus without worrying about space in this little case...

Keeping the thread alive. Just added a 120mm Radgrill in the front to let the exhaust and power supply fans breathe air out. Last pocket of hot air in the case design finally gone.

Edit: Still experimenting with different meshes. Probably will add a blue led fan radgrill glow frame and some better black colored screws.
Just an early experiment.

I like the vent in the front. IMO that black mesh grill that comes on the back of the case is perfect for the front. No additional grill needed. Just need some black screws. You might even get away with tape or glue to avoid any screwholes. Dont really need them since its not even attached to the fan itself.

I like the vent in the front. IMO that black mesh grill that comes on the back of the case is perfect for the front. No additional grill needed. Just need some black screws. You might even get away with tape or glue to avoid any screwholes. Dont really need them since its not even attached to the fan itself.

Thx for the comments. :)

Very cool mod, second one I've seen involving cutting a blow hole for the front. I guess the only bad thing about it would be the hot air blowing in your face. :D Unless you have it on the ground or something, then it really wouldn't matter.

i have an idea for a radiator setup on this case, try and picture this and tell me if it'll look funny or not:

i have a single 120mm blowhole at the top of my a05b. i want to put a 120.3 radiator on top using swiftech's radbox. i'd attach the radbox to the top of my 120mm blowhole, then center the 120.3 radiator on it. it'll work, i'm sure, but the case would look like a helicopter.. lol

i have an idea for a radiator setup on this case, try and picture this and tell me if it'll look funny or not:

i have a single 120mm blowhole at the top of my a05b. i want to put a 120.3 radiator on top using swiftech's radbox. i'd attach the radbox to the top of my 120mm blowhole, then center the 120.3 radiator on it. it'll work, i'm sure, but the case would look like a helicopter.. lol

I've seen it done in other cases, it's just fine. What would look more professional is to have standoffs on top. That way it's also a LOT more secure.

So I'm thinking of picking this case up from newegg since [H]ot Deals has a $10 off deal making the case only 70 plus shipping, but I wanted to know how good the hard drive damping is. Is it comparable to say, those zalman hard drive silencers or elastic suspension?

So I'm thinking of picking this case up from newegg since [H]ot Deals has a $10 off deal making the case only 70 plus shipping, but I wanted to know how good the hard drive damping is. Is it comparable to say, those zalman hard drive silencers or elastic suspension?

I've never used the Zalman silencers or suspension, but I find what the A05 uses to be very effective. You have rubber grommets that go on the HDD screws so there is no metal on metal contact between the HDD and the case.

I've built a new system in March in a Lian Li PC-A05B, since I love clean design, a bit minimalistic. Here are a few pics, just standard stuff, I didn't mod a window or blowhole in. Just two things that aren't standard: Stealth DVD drive cover, and the 3,5" bay Noise Isolator fan controller. The fan controller fits in quite nicely because it's made of black aluminium and with some blue backlighting.

Fan controller no flash

Fan controller flash

Overview

Got my 4x Yate Loons and the fan controller (same as the post above me) today, I'll post some pics its all done!

which fan controller is that? It looks the like one by vantec (which I have) but is plain and without any of the lettering.

I want to find a decent 4-6fan controller for my 5.25" bay..

So I can hopefully crank down the 4-5 case fans and get it a little quieter :D

I'm hoping I can keep it shallow enough so I can install a 3.5" HDD in the same bay too (not sure how I'd make that work... haha...)

I might try to modify one of those 4 in 3 5.25" bay cages to fit where the current HDD cage is, so I can have 4 HDD's...

I have short-height HDD's too, they'd be Seagate 7200.11 320's and single-platter 160's I just need 4 spots for them, with my card-reader, fan controller, and DVD drive...

I've built both PC-A05B and the new A06 too.

My A06 build is proving to be something of a puzzle though. The PSU is getting very hot, and in turn it's heating the drive cage, making the HDDs hot too.

The PSU points down, the fan presumably sending hot air out of the bottom of the unit. The fan on the rear of the case appears to be sending cool air into the case, rather than propelling hot air out.

I could point my CPU fan to either blow hot air out of the back of the case, or towards the PSU. But the PSU appears to be getting too warm already. It doesn't have a grilled backside like many PSUs do, it's a closed metal box essentially with a fan at the bottom.

I've already added a slot cooler to the PCI area, but that part doesn't seem to be getting hot at all.

Any ideas?

Back