HP Reverb G2

It cost me a set of AirPods pro but I slipped a VR system by the wife. The HP Reverb G2 just arrived today. I was surprised how quickly it got here. I ordered directly from HP Canada and it was delivered 2 days later.
1611024674441.png

My previous VR experience was limited to the VR I tried at the mall back in the 90s when I was a pre-teen. It was a very short experience where you shot at another player and there was a pterodactyl ... for some reason.
I am only a couple hours into this but holy shit ... it is incredible. I have only tried out the windows and stream lobby type things and I just started Half-Life Alyx. The immersion and experience is incredible. I was a fool to be so resistant to VR.

Rift non-S

You will get the same experience on the Rift using the 1070 as you will while using the 3080. There is no need to wait. The Rift is low resolution headset and Super sampling has extremely diminishing returns after around the 1.4/1.5 range.

The 1070 will drive the Civ1 just fine. You might as well start enjoying it now.

You will get the same experience on the Rift using the 1070 as you will while using the 3080. There is no need to wait. The Rift is low resolution headset and Super sampling has extremely diminishing returns after around the 1.4/1.5 range.

The 1070 will drive the Civ1 just fine. You might as well start enjoying it now.
I have a rift and a 1070, can confirm this is true. Some games I have to run FSAA and not MSAA but you certainly don’t need a better card to push it well.

I am only a couple hours into this but holy shit ... it is incredible. I have only tried out the windows and stream lobby type things and I just started Half-Life Alyx. The immersion and experience is incredible. I was a fool to be so resistant to VR.

It truly is one of those things that had to be seen to be believed. Alyx is the pinnacle for several reasons, especially with the knuckles controllers. But even after having 100 hours playing Alyx, the first time I fired up Squadrons in VR, sitting in the X-wing cockpit is something considerably awesome. It maybe breaks down a little after seeing the cockpit is a prop only and you cannot interact, but looking over your shoulder to see a droid wingman is grin inducing.

It truly is one of those things that had to be seen to be believed. Alyx is the pinnacle for several reasons, especially with the knuckles controllers. But even after having 100 hours playing Alyx, the first time I fired up Squadrons in VR, sitting in the X-wing cockpit is something considerably awesome. It maybe breaks down a little after seeing the cockpit is a prop only and you cannot interact, but looking over your shoulder to see a droid wingman is grin inducing.
I have that same feeling with DCS in VR. I can't press the buttons/switches in the cockpit and yet all of them are fully functional though but you have to use a mouse to use them. Still if your interested in flight sim like games, get VTOL VR on steam. The cockpit is fully used in VR even the flight controls. It's not as detailed as something like DCS but man I don't want to play any other flight sim but VTOL in VR only because of how it handles the cockpit and controls.

Finally was able to get a G2 from the MS store last week. I use VR exclusively for sim racing via iRacing and have had a Samsung Odyssey+ for the last ~2 years.

I was absolutely blown away at the improvement in clarity for the G2 vs the Samsung - iRacing is like a whole different game now and I can see so much more detail than ever before. Even with 80% SteamVR scaling to maintain 90fps (8600k+2070S) the sweet spot clarity is basically as good as a monitor to my eyes, and even off axis is much sharper than the O+. I was a little skeptical at first, but I'm super happy with the G2 for my usage.

Anyone with a index have any thoughts about which one to buy?
For a little back ground I have had the following headsets:
OG Vive : Sold after 6 months due to the screen door.
Rift CV1 : Was my sons but I hated the camera setup. Was a super pain in the ass to setup in our spaces.
Samsung Odyssey: Loved the screen at the time but couldn't wear it for more than 20 minutes due to it pressing on pressure points on my face. Still have the headset, lost the controls in a move. I doubt I'll use it again as its agonizing and tracking sucked
Quest 1: I still have this and it's neat. My setup gets a little more latency than I would like wireless, Haven't tried it since getting a 3080, been too busy with my CX48. Would like more fidelity.

I love the idea of 2160x2160 screens in the G2 and the extra cameras for better tracking, but I have the money for either the G2 or the Index. Though $1,000 feels steep for 1600x1440 screens even with the fov and refresh rate and bad ass controls.

The quest 2 looks to be in between on resolution and I hear lower latency wireless. It might be cheaper and better to just upgrade to a quest 2 and buy a high end router to go with it and pass my quest1 to my youngest son.

Ugh... Valve could have my money right now if they just shit out a Index with better screen resolution.

Last edited:
Rift CV1 : Was my sons but I hated the camera setup. Was a super pain in the ass to setup in our spaces.
Samsung Odyssey: Loved the screen at the time but couldn't wear it for more than 20 minutes due to it pressing on pressure points on my face. Still have the headset, lost the controls in a move. I doubt I'll use it again as its agonizing and tracking sucked
Quest 1: I still have this and it's neat. My setup gets a little more latency than I would like wireless, Haven't tried it since getting a 3080, been too busy with my CX48. Would like more fidelity.

I love the idea of 2160x2160 screens in the G2 and the extra cameras for better tracking, but I have the money for either the G2 or the Index. Though $1,000 feels steep for 1600x1440 screens even with the fov and refresh rate and bad ass controls.

The quest 2 looks to be in between on resolution and I hear lower latency wireless. It might be cheaper and better to just upgrade to a quest 2 and buy a high end router to go with it and pass my quest1 to my youngest son.

Ugh... Valve could have my money right now if they just shit out a Index with better screen resolution.

Just have to decide what matters the most. Best tracking and refresh rate? Index. Best displays okay tracking? G2. In between and Facebook? Quest 2.

What games do you mainly play? Sims? Sit down games? Room Scale games?

Are you using a Quest 1 now? What do you think of it?

I ordered a G2 on BLT three months ago. No dice. Got an email every two weeks that the expected arrival in their warehouse was, you guessed it, two weeks. After reading Draax post I went straight to the US HP site and ordered one there. Shipped a day later and should be here on Monday. Also ordered prescription inserts but those will probably take a month. Can’t wait to get back IN the game! Now trying to score a 3080.

What games do you mainly play? Sims? Sit down games? Room Scale games?

Are you using a Quest 1 now? What do you think of it?
I picked up a quest 2 yesterday since it was in stock at best buy, figured I would return it if I didn't like it. I can't see a screen door and wireless latency is so much better.
I play a mix of all of them. I have a nice steering wheel and hotas with the rudder pedals. Lately though Room scale. I plan on playing through Alyx and modded skyrim.

On the quest 1 with my 1080ti I had a lot of hickups with the quest 1.. I have a 3080 now and with the quest 2 everything is silky smooth with wireless. I might still get a g2 when my taxes come in or wait on the next valve headset.

I picked up a quest 2 yesterday since it was in stock at best buy, figured I would return it if I didn't like it. I can't see a screen door and wireless latency is so much better.
I play a mix of all of them. I have a nice steering wheel and hotas with the rudder pedals. Lately though Room scale. I plan on playing through Alyx and modded skyrim.

On the quest 1 with my 1080ti I had a lot of hickups with the quest 1.. I have a 3080 now and with the quest 2 everything is silky smooth with wireless. I might still get a g2 when my taxes come in or wait on the next valve headset.
I had the same reaction going from cv1 to the quest 2, then tried a G2. G2 screen is ridiculously good, the level of detail and clarity vs the q2 blows it away imo. The wireless is a huge bonus for the q2 but its hard to overcome the visual advantage.

I had the same reaction going from cv1 to the quest 2, then tried a G2. G2 screen is ridiculously good, the level of detail and clarity vs the q2 blows it away imo. The wireless is a huge bonus for the q2 but its hard to overcome the visual advantage.
Yeah I am torn. I'm a image quality nazi... Hell my main screen is an oled, but there is something to be said for wireless. I hate cables pulling on me in room scale. If I were only playing elite and sim racing it would be another story.

I have a desk job and I am getting close to 37 years old and have now been feeling like ass lately. I told my self that I am going to play 12 hours of room scale games this weekend just to get off my ass, so I think the quest 2 will work for now.

Yeah I am torn. I'm a image quality nazi... Hell my main screen is an oled, but there is something to be said for wireless. I hate cables pulling on me in room scale. If I were only playing elite and sim racing it would be another story.

I have a desk job and I am getting close to 37 years old and have now been feeling like ass lately. I told my self that I am going to play 12 hours of room scale games this weekend just to get off my ass, so I think the quest 2 will work for now.
Room scale with the cord doesnt bother me but the wireless is awesome. The quest 2 boundary system is far better as well, the camera passthrough is cool. I'll walk around the house with it on and talk to my wife just because it freaks her out

Anyone with a G2 have much use with Virtual Desktop? How does it work for you? I usually keep taking off my Vive to adjust settings and wonder if answering messages, or checking email is possible and comfortable with the increased resolution.
I also wonder about watching movies etc. I always find screen door and low res more noticeable in the desktop and when trying to watch an occassional youtube clip than in games. I have many 3d blu-rays but no longer have a 3D tv hooked up to a capable player and wonder if you could watch your 3D ripped blu-rays via a VR headset. I also occasionally mess around with vorpx but haven't in a while - not sure if anyone has tried playing a modern game like Control or Cyberpunk (lol!) via vorpx on a G2.

Anyone with a G2 have much use with Virtual Desktop? How does it work for you? I usually keep taking off my Vive to adjust settings and wonder if answering messages, or checking email is possible and comfortable with the increased resolution.
I also wonder about watching movies etc. I always find screen door and low res more noticeable in the desktop and when trying to watch an occassional youtube clip than in games. I have many 3d blu-rays but no longer have a 3D tv hooked up to a capable player and wonder if you could watch your 3D ripped blu-rays via a VR headset. I also occasionally mess around with vorpx but haven't in a while - not sure if anyone has tried playing a modern game like Control or Cyberpunk (lol!) via vorpx on a G2.
It is higher resolution than my quest2 and I can read everything plain as day with it.
I remember how bad it looked with the vive and it is light years ahead.

Was, and probably still in on the G2, but the tid-bits of the new Samsung have me holding off. Probably not for long though.
HP Canada has not notified me of my order even though that was back in early November.

I wonder if the better clarity helps with less eye strain, nausea etc.?

Room scale with the cord doesnt bother me but the wireless is awesome. The quest 2 boundary system is far better as well, the camera passthrough is cool. I'll walk around the house with it on and talk to my wife just because it freaks her out

Damn, missed a little bit of this thread!! I know for some clarity is king but for me, since getting the Quest 2, Wireless gaming has become much more important. And I am like you Equinox, I want the best picture quality possible or thought I did. See before the Quest 2, I had no problem with the cable and room scale gaming, none what so ever. I even bought Oculus Link cable with the Quest 2 because I was so sure I would be using it all the time for the best Quality. But, I have barely used it and I can't stand the thought of playing games with the cable attached.

Maybe if I was a Sim only gamer I might feel a little different.

Damn, missed a little bit of this thread!! I know for some clarity is king but for me, since getting the Quest 2, Wireless gaming has become much more important. And I am like you Equinox, I want the best picture quality possible or thought I did. See before the Quest 2, I had no problem with the cable and room scale gaming, none what so ever. I even bought Oculus Link cable with the Quest 2 because I was so sure I would be using it all the time for the best Quality. But, I have barely used it and I can't stand the thought of playing games with the cable attached.

Yeah and the quest 2 is still a lot higher res than anything but the g2.

Really loving the G2. Been 3 or 4 years since I sold my CV1. I remember reading text in games was a real pain. G2 is very clear.

Picked up a used X52 yesterday for $50, having a great time in Elite Dangerous.

The only downside is the old lady complaining I play all day, and I have to do things like go to work :(.

Really loving the G2. Been 3 or 4 years since I sold my CV1. I remember reading text in games was a real pain. G2 is very clear.

Picked up a used X52 yesterday for $50, having a great time in Elite Dangerous.

The only downside is the old lady complaining I play all day, and I have to do things like go to work :(.
Shoulda trader her in for a G2 discount... reminds me of my favorite joke:

Why can’t Stevie Wonder see his friends?
He’s married.

And it is not like the clarity would be poor in Quest 2. Resolution is a stone throws away from G2, the image is just softer due to the streamed nature of the picture (compression, chroma subsampling etc...) Personally when it is time for the next VR upgrade I am not looking for more clarity anymore, instead the priority is more FOV presented with at least the same amount of clarity that Quest 2 has. And better contrast. Higher refresh rate is welcome but optional.

I printed the "frankenfov" faceplate and attached a pad from an old gearVR. It definitely gives increases FOV but for me the sweet spot for clarity got smaller. Anyone else try this?

Ive bairly skimmed this thread so please excuse if this has been talked about but i was wondering is anyone useing a 6900xt with their g2? an how is that working out? I'm unsure iif i want g2 or q2 it will only be used for iracing an MSFS2000. Thanks for the heads up an anytips!

It cost me a set of AirPods pro but I slipped a VR system by the wife. The HP Reverb G2 just arrived today. I was surprised how quickly it got here. I ordered directly from HP Canada and it was delivered 2 days later.
View attachment 320305
My previous VR experience was limited to the VR I tried at the mall back in the 90s when I was a pre-teen. It was a very short experience where you shot at another player and there was a pterodactyl ... for some reason.

Try VRChat or something social as well. I'm having more fun with it than Half Life: Alyx to be honest. And I don't know if it was foolish to wait. I feel like the valve index is barely good enough and it's still outrageously expensive as a hobby toy, so you might've wasted a bunch of money for a mediocre experience prior to this generation of headsets.

Ive bairly skimmed this thread so please excuse if this has been talked about but i was wondering is anyone useing a 6900xt with their g2? an how is that working out? I'm unsure iif i want g2 or q2 it will only be used for iracing an MSFS2000. Thanks for the heads up an anytips!
I wanted to but couldn't find a G2 near MSRP so I got the index instead. I was hoping for index controllers & base stations with a G2 headset. If I'm able to sell the index headset for a reasonable amount and replace it with a G2 I'll try to update here how it goes, but performance has so far been very good.

Anyone using audio other than the built in?

Trying to get it to work with airpods pro so I can't hear the woman watching tv nearby etc while I'm in VR.

Have all the options set as far as I can tell, but soon as the headset detects it's being worn, it kills sound to the airpods. With disabling switch audio source to headset in mixed reality, I have no sound in VR with output set to airpods. Second I take the headset off, sound resumes on the airpods.

Anyone using audio other than the built in?

Trying to get it to work with airpods pro so I can't hear the woman watching tv nearby etc while I'm in VR.

Have all the options set as far as I can tell, but soon as the headset detects it's being worn, it kills sound to the airpods. With disabling switch audio source to headset in mixed reality, I have no sound in VR with output set to airpods. Second I take the headset off, sound resumes on the airpods.
I don’t have a g2, but my rift audio broke so now I use headphones. When the rift goes on windows switches to the rift by default. I simply click on the sound icon and change the audio output to my Realtek headphones.

Try VRChat or something social as well. I'm having more fun with it than Half Life: Alyx to be honest. And I don't know if it was foolish to wait. I feel like the valve index is barely good enough and it's still outrageously expensive as a hobby toy, so you might've wasted a bunch of money for a mediocre experience prior to this generation of headsets.
i think it would be dependent on the typical use and user. iRacing plus my unused clearanced 1st gen PSVR (with the lowest resolution of any headset) is an absolute game changer for my ghetto rig. And while a G2 would be a great upgrade, it is not in the books anytime soon. enjoy what you can get, play things that work well with what you have. anything with huge text blocks would be painful for me, driving simulators are a joy, though.

Hi there, I was wondering if my system would be able to handle the HP Reverb G2...My specs are i7-1075H CPU @2.60-5qhz 16GB ram Geforce RTX 2060 Samsung 970 EVO PLus 512GB M.2 SSD. I would use it mainly for MSFS 2020.

I'm running it just fine on a 5820K and 1080 Ti 32 GB of RAM.

Flight Sim screwed VR Up in the patch a few weeks ago so while it was running pretty good that patch made it hot garbage. Other games play perfectly Fine. Zero Caliber I set to medium / medium high and see a few mini stutters but overall its fine.

Back