How do you pronounce SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two acronyms that immediately come to mind as being pronounced as a single word are AIM and FUBAR.

msde said:
The two acronyms that immediately come to mind as being pronounced as a single word are AIM and FUBAR.

Same with me....after a few pages of this thread I was thinking why the hell hasnt anyone brought up FUBAR.

Why does everything have to have a "pronouncable name" made from the acronym?

SLI is S.L.I.

Sure SCSI is scuzzy, and RAM is "ram", but you dont see anyone saying that have an "Picci", "Aggpa", or "Picciye" video card with the latest "jpoo" on it.

And dont forget that "psoo's" should have good "emf" shielding, cause "spoos" are sensitive to those "emfs"

So you think I should stick with my old "pstoo" keyboard and mouse? or get a new "uhsb" set?

You hear about the new "Ammed" "spoo" with the "sussythree" support?

oh yeah, and as for FUBAR. Don't forget SNAFU.

so basiclally -
GIF is pronounced like peanut butter
JPG is jaypeg
rthdribl is R-T-H-dribble
SLI is s-l-i
sata is serial ata or s-a-t-a... not sayta... geek...

but here's the real question... how do you pronoune M$? :p

I always hated Jiff. Thats peanut butter.
I've always said gif as in gift minus the T

to me its like saying you "jive someone a jift" or "jit in my belly!" with the j sound instead of a hard g.

soooo....
is it Hard Ockpee?

Rogue4mula said:
so basiclally -
GIF is pronounced like peanut butter
JPG is jaypeg
rthdribl is R-T-H-dribble
SLI is s-l-i
sata is serial ata or s-a-t-a... not sayta... geek...

but here's the real question... how do you pronoune M$? :p

MacroShaft.

==>Lazn

When you say Serial ATA or S-L-I, nobody confuses what you are saying.

When you say Sayta or Sly, there will always be somone that responds with "WTF?"

It doesn't get much more simple than that...

i honestly never thought of saying sli any different than s. l. i. until this thread, and i think sly does sound a bit silly... but what the hell is wrong with you 'thats stupid and you're a gay dumbfuck for saying it' people.

its clearly not very standardized so if they want to say sly, who cares

Mosfet said:
oh yeah, and as for FUBAR. Don't forget SNAFU.

The correct order is SNAFU, TARFU and then FUBAR.

And lets not forget the ever popular BOHICA!

Hah, this reminds me of the time when a noob friend was putting together his first comp and was telling us what he wanted to put in it and pronounced cathode as kuh-thod. If someone says sly to me referring to S.L.I I'm going to laugh in their face, simple as that.

SLI Sucks. Too buggy, not enough support, and too expensive.

SLI = Sh***ty, Lousy, Idiotic

I read like half of the first page, and saw peoples' answers to what SLI stands for.... it IS Scalable Link Interface.

EDIT: and it IS pronounced S.L.I.- it's an acronym, not a word.

I can't get used to saying URL, ACL, or VoIP as words. TANSTAAFL is always fun to say though. I often hear the X in Office X and Mac OS X as a number as well as a letter. Or even Mac OS ex ten point three.

zeplar said:
I can't get used to saying URL, ACL, or VoIP as words. TANSTAAFL is always fun to say though. I often hear the X in Office X and Mac OS X as a number as well as a letter. Or even Mac OS ex ten point three.

I dont know bout that, in all seriousness I do hear VoIP as a word fairly often these days. (voip: like boy, only voy with a p at the end)

==>Lazn

ItsTooHot said:
When you say Serial ATA or S-L-I, nobody confuses what you are saying.

When you say Sayta or Sly, there will always be somone that responds with "WTF?"

It doesn't get much more simple than that...

If you say SATA as Sayta and SLI and Sly and someone who is involved with computer lingo doesn't know what your talking about then they just need to be slapped.

SATA looks like Sayta and SLI looks like Sly and i bet more people say them that way then they do S.A.T.A. or S.L.I. because it just makes sense to say them that way.

I mean seriously there is no standard outside of what some geek decides to start calling it one day and everyone else follows suit.

RAM is an acronym for Random Access Memory so why not call it R.A.M. instead of just "RAM"? What makes it any different then SLI? Nothing.

burningrave101 said:
If you say SATA as Sayta and SLI and Sly and someone who is involved with computer lingo doesn't know what your talking about then they just need to be slapped.

SATA looks like Sayta and SLI looks like Sly and i bet more people say them that way then they do S.A.T.A. or S.L.I. because it just makes sense to say them that way.

I mean seriously there is no standard outside of what some geek decides to start calling it one day and everyone else follows suit.

RAM is an acronym for Random Access Memory so why not call it R.A.M. instead of just "RAM"? What makes it any different then SLI? Nothing.
because saying ram...has a little ring to it then R. A. M.

S-L-I
GIF - Graphic(s) Interchange Format, so barrowing the Guh sound from Graphics, it's Gif(t)
Gib - Gib isn't an acronym, it is short for Giblets which has a "J" sound, so Jib

I feel Old because no one has mentioned "DOS", I pronounce it "Doss" (rhymes with Boss)... I don't know anyone that says D-O-S. But I have run into people that pronounce it "dose" (like 2 in Spanish). And I know one guy that pronounced it "Duce" (rhymes with goose). ;)

==Edit==
I just thought of something, and it makes me feel even older. there are 2 DOS's
DOS - Disk Operating System
DoS - Denial of Service
:(

burningrave101 said:
Considering there is no "right" way and "wrong" way to say it when even nVidia employees say it as "SLY" i dont see how it makes you less intelligent considering most people in the computer field aren't english majors. In fact thats the whole reason why things like term papers are being incorporated into college computer courses today is to improve the english writing and speaking abilities of those in the computer field.

I work with a person whose last name is Li. Guess how it is pronounced.

So, saying 'sly' is wrong because if you pronounce the 3 letters, they would be 'slee'

ps. I work on a helpdesk and there is a general consensus on most abbreviations or whatever you want to call them.

I assume someone who says sah-ta is going to be a pain in my ass calling me for support.

Warrior said:
because saying ram...has a little ring to it then R. A. M.

Saying SLI has a little ring to it then S. L. I.

Jiffylush said:
I work with a person whose last name is Li. Guess how it is pronounced.

So, saying 'sly' is wrong because if you pronounce the 3 letters, they would be 'slee'

ps. I work on a helpdesk and there is a general consensus on most abbreviations or whatever you want to call them.

I assume someone who says sah-ta is going to be a pain in my ass calling me for support.

Yea and who's to say your general consensus is right? You could have a whole room full of idiots and one smart guy so general consensus doesn't account for much in this society.

Saying "I have a new sah-ta drive" sounds better then "I have a new S. A. T. A. drive".

I swear though, complete morons come up with these names and dictate how they should or should not be pronounced.

What english rule says RAM (Random Access Memory) should be pronounced as it sounds but SLI (scalable link interface) on the other hand is an acronym and should be pronounced S.L.I. And where the hell does scuzzy come from with SCSI?

I say we just call it whatever the heck sounds best to each one of us and leave it at that cause i see no "wrong" way and a "right" way.

df12 said:
S-L-I
GIF - Graphic(s) Interchange Format, so barrowing the Guh sound from Graphics, it's Gif(t)
Gib - Gib isn't an acronym, it is short for Giblets which has a "J" sound, so Jib

I feel Old because no one has mentioned "DOS", I pronounce it "Doss" (rhymes with Boss)... I don't know anyone that says D-O-S. But I have run into people that pronounce it "dose" (like 2 in Spanish). And I know one guy that pronounced it "Duce" (rhymes with goose). ;)

==Edit==
DoS - Denial of Service

Don't feel too bad, my first computer had 32k of memory, and ran BASIC (not even DOS).
Good old TRS80-100

==>Lazn

swetmore said:
SLI Sucks. Too buggy, not enough support, and too expensive.

SLI = Sh***ty, Lousy, Idiotic

Obviously coming from someone who has never used an SLI system ;)

I have two communities I socialize with:

Hearing Community and Deaf Community.

I use the proper pronounciation with hearing people. Such as SLI being ES EL EYE, PSU being PEE ES YOU, GUI as in GEE YOU EYE, and so on. And well, it's probably common sense to be proper in this industry.

However for the deaf people, we use simple pronounciations that is easily communicative across any nationality. Such as, SATA pronounced by itself-- SAH-TAH. RAM as said by itself-- RAM. Even Gigabyte (GB) is pronounced as GUBUH. SLI is also the hot new term among deaf technicians and enthusiasts being pronounced as "SLY". Even MHz is pronounced as MUHZ and GHz is pronounced as GUHZ.

I like the deaf world.

-J.

before this post I never heard anyone call SLI something different than S. L . I.

3dFX invented it back in the day, and they pronounced it S. L. I. so thats what it is now and forever... if it was created that way, thats what it is.

And I concider myself a very knowledgeable computer user/ builder/ etc... if i were at a Lan or someting... and someone said... look at my Sayta hard drive... i would be like cool, a new brand? who is sayta.... never heard of em....

Steve said:
I tried ordering a BLT yesterday by asking the lady for a "bult"...she said "excuse me?"...I said *ahem* I'd like a "bult". Waitress says "I don't think we have that..." I say..."Cool, nevermind, I'll just have a B.L.T.

:)

My kids were CRACKING UP laughing.
This post is teh Win.... it should explain it all

df12 said:
S-L-I

==Edit==
DoS - Denial of Service

We deaf people pronounce DOS as DOSS while DoS is pronounced DOSE.

"I was trying out doss yesterday."
"We just got a dose attack!"

Edit: At least for properness' sake, I believe the pronounciation of a certain product should be based on the company/inventor/marketer's original speech. 3DFX said S.L.I. We say S.L.I. If the whole computing industry says RAM, then we say RAM. I mean, what's there to argue about?

-J.

All in all, theres no right or wrong way to pronounce any acronym, as they are not actual words. The only acronyms that have a real pronounciation I suppose would be listed in the dictionary?

EDIT: I just read the above posters commment and I whole-heartedly agree.

LOL, reminds me of the girl at the office that asked me for advice on which "sea pooh" to get. I told her I was not an expert on oceanic dung and had no idea and walked away since I was in a hurry to see what was wrong with one of our servers. She approached me again later and asked the same thing again. I told her I had no idea what she was talking about, finally we started speaking the same language and determined she was asking about computers and about which CPU she should get, which of course she was pronouncing as "sea pooh".

If someone told me they were building a "sly" computer I would probably say "I didn't know Sylvester Stallone started making computers". You can say it however the hell you want to but if you want people to know what you're talking about, then stick with S L I (es el aye), the way it's been since 3dfx days (yes I had 2 monster II's in SLI), it's nothing new.

bvincent said:
LOL, reminds me of the girl at the office that asked me for advice on which "sea pooh" to get. I told her I was not an expert on oceanic dung and had no idea and walked away since I was in a hurry to see what was wrong with one of our servers. She approached me again later and asked the same thing again. I told her I had no idea what she was talking about, finally we started speaking the same language and determined she was asking about computers and about which CPU she should get, which of course she was pronouncing as "sea pooh".

If someone told me they were building a "sly" computer I would probably say "I didn't know Sylvester Stallone started making computers". You can say it however the hell you want to but if you want people to know what you're talking about, then stick with S L I (es el aye), the way it's been since 3dfx days (yes I had 2 monster II's in SLI), it's nothing new.
HAHA

If Sylverster stalones computers would be Sly
What would Arnolds be :)

I dont want to start another thread but then how is ASUS supposed to be pronounced? is it AY-sus or AH-sus

Cabn12 said:
I dont want to start another thread but then how is ASUS supposed to be pronounced? is it AY-sus or AH-sus
This is a good one....

I pronounce it Ay - zeus :) (A as in the Letter, zeus like the greek god)
I dunno how its really pronounced... but I really dont care.. they make stable mobo's :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back