How do you pronounce SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
no need to flame now mr.d :D
maybe i'm a noob too, but i say sayta. and scuzzy. though most other things are typically spelled out unless it makes a word (ram, lan)
but then again, led's are.. eleedee's
though h2o will always be dihydrogen monoxide. and yes, i can still trick people with that, even in college. it makes me sad.

(cf)Eclipse said:
no need to flame now mr.d :D
maybe i'm a noob too, but i say sayta. and scuzzy. though most other things are typically spelled out unless it makes a word (ram, lan)
but then again, led's are.. eleedee's
though h2o will always be dihydrogen monoxide. and yes, i can still trick people with that, even in college. it makes me sad.

What do you mean trick? Dihydrogen monoxide is a growing problem and we need congress to address this. There is an unacceptable level of dihydrogen monoxide in my drinking water!

and it's the major component in acid rain!
as a gas or solid, it burns you.
inhale it at room temperature, and you suffocate

:D

(cf)Eclipse said:
and it's the major component in acid rain!
as a gas or solid, it burns you.
inhale it at room temperature, and you suffocate

:D

Yes! It is time for Congress to take a serious look at this growing problem. What about the children??? We have to save the children!!!

MrDigital said:
Hey TRex, I'd fire you if you worked for me and you said Sly and satay. If people are such fookin' ignorant arseholes who don't know how to pronounce stuff, I'd fire their useless arses for being stupid.

Satay and Sly. Hahah to you rookies who don't know the difference. Go back to school. Kids these days, disgusting.

-MrD

"thats scott. he's a dick."

Maybe this will clear this will clear things up. SLI is Initialism. RAM is an Acronym. Acronym and Initialism are similar but different. :) Saying FBI as FeeBi or FeeBee would just be plain wierd. Thats why it is initialism and not an acronym. Most people wrongly label all abreviations as acronyms when in fact they are initialisms.

It is normally recommended that periods be placed after each letter for initialism to avoid confusion but most often people take short cuts. For example, A.K.A. is often spelled out as AKA but we don't say Acka. So.... SLI should be S.L.I. to avoid the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym

From Wikipedia:
"Acronyms and initialisms are abbreviations formed from the initial letter or letters of words, such as NATO and XHTML, and are pronounced in a way that is distinct from the full pronunciation of what the letters stand for.

Of the two words, acronym is the much more frequently used and known, and many speakers and writers refer to all abbreviations formed from initial letters as acronyms. However, some differentiate between acronyms and initialisms: an acronym is a pronounceable word formed from the initial letter or letters of the constituent words, such as NATO, and an initialism is an abbreviation pronounced as the names of the individual letters, and is formed only from the initial letter of constituent words, such as TLA. This distinction is supported by many dictionary definitions, but not by all."

It is S. L. I. Because when it was first created by 3Dfx, thats how it was said. :)

Anyway if you want to get into a good argument, its not S. L. I. or Slye either... its "Crossfire" :p oooohhhh

Definitely S.L.I.........or, ess ell eye. Thats how you say it. You COULD say it however you want, but you'd be saying it wrong. ;)

cell_491 said:
EFF YOU GUYS...its "SLYE" got that now shut up

what part of you made you want to bump a 3 month old long dead disasterous thread with that comment?

so it may live on! Look what a quick trip to Wikipedia brought up!

* SNAFU - Situation Normal: All Fucked Up.
* SUSFU - Situation Unchanged, Still Fucked Up.
* FUMTU - Fucked Up More Than Usual.
* TARFU - Things Are Really Fucked Up.
* TOFU - Things Ordinary: Fucked Up.
* GFU - General Fuck Up.
* SAMFU - Self Adjusting Military Fuck Up.
* TUIFU - The Ultimate In Fuck Ups.
* FUBAR - Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition/Repair/Reason.
* FUGAZI - Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In; Refers to out-of-control situation such as a chaotic jungle warfare combat environment

FanATIc said:
what part of you made you want to bump a 3 month old long dead disasterous thread with that comment?
lol...eclipse brought it up in another thread as the "all time most annoying thread" so i figured id start it back up again...lol

My only addition is COMPUSA - Definitely Compoosa. And no, I don't say oosa when speaking of the U.S.A.

i just sound sound it out
S L I

and i call sata drives satay, like that thai dish satay chicken.
and any electronic related store gets called " the computer store"

indexfossil said:
My only addition is COMPUSA - Definitely Compoosa. And no, I don't say oosa when speaking of the U.S.A.

QFT!!! lol I say it with the ooooosa all the time. people look at me like, where!??

sucks3.jpg

AHHH!

I pronounce it 'sly' and sometimes spell it out as S.L.I. but what chafes my butt is when people don’t use it properly in a sentence. For example, “I have an S.L.I. setup” is grammatically INCORRECT. First of all spell out S(calable) L(ink) I(nterface) and repeat that sentence. “I have an Scalable Link Interface setup” just sounds plain ignorant.

Also saying, “I have an ‘sly’ setup” doesn’t work either.

LOL!......I mean, wtf is wrong with you people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back