How do you pronounce SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hereby recommend that from this point forward we refer to CPU's as see-poo's. edit: as suggested by ThomasE66

Anyone 2nd? this recommendation?

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
I hereby recommend that from this point forward we refer to CPU's as see-poo's.

==>Lazn

Bump

I can't believe that this made 5 pages of replies.

It's " ES, EL, EYE " Say it like that or risk sounding like a noob..

Glen

thisisglen said:
Bump

I can't believe that this made 5 pages of replies.

It's " ES, EL, EYE " Say it like that or risk sounding like a noob..

Glen
second that..
does anyone pronounce audigy 2 ZS, zzss

pronounce it like a professional..not a retard..sly...HAHA...total n00b talkin if i heard that

TRex said:
Me, I say it as a word. I've heard other techs pronounce every letter out like S.L.I.
So what is the proper pronunciation?
I think Saturday Night Live has done skits about you...

S.L.I. -> 2 video cards for $400 a pop what are you f'n nuts, plus a $250 M/B, yeah, ok, not in this lifetime, ya crackwhore. thats what I call it.

epicengr said:
S.L.I. -> 2 video cards for $400 a pop what are you f'n nuts, plus a $250 M/B, yeah, ok, not in this lifetime, ya crackwhore. thats what I call it.

Hows that thread crapping coming along?

The Official List of how to say Acronyms: :) Brought to you by USMC2Hard4j00

1) SLI / S - L - I / Individual Leters
2) ATI / A - T - I / Individual Leters, There have been people who say this as a word... wtf are you smoking?
3) CPU / C - P - U / Individual Leters but now accorindg to Lazn.. its SeePoo :)
4) GUI / Gooey - Someone somewhere decided to make this a word
5) SCSI / Scuzzy - I think its cool... Saying S - C - S - I would somehow make it seem "less fast"
6) IDE / I - D - E / Individual Letters
7) SATA / Serial A - T - A / You are on hard drugs if you say SayTah ;)
8) AMD / A - M - D / Let me here someone say it in one word like "and" Id kill em
9) RAM / "ram" the whole word...
10) ROM / "rom" the word....
11) USB / U - S - B
12) NIC / "nick" ... I have never heard anyone call is a N - I - C
13) GPU / G - P - U
14) HP (as in hewlett packard) / H - P ..... not like "hip" or some bull shit
15) DVD / D - V - D... no divid lol

Am I missing anything, you can add to it just be sure its right...
the biggest one that pisses me off when people say ATI as "Ahtee" or some crazy shit....

SLEEEE!!!!

LOL j/k. Wow... I haven't come across anyone saying that *yet*...

How about nvidia? is it n vidia or nvidia(short n)? and JPG, Jaypeg or J-P-G? Sayta is how i pronounce is. Scuba.. PNG is is ping? How about prt, is it part? EXE is eeks? And for the record, sly maybe wrong, but it sounds pretty damn cool.

serbiaNem said:
How about nvidia? is it n vidia or nvidia(short n)? and JPG, Jaypeg or J-P-G? Sayta is how i pronounce is. Scuba.. PNG is is ping? How about prt, is it part? EXE is eeks? And for the record, sly maybe wrong, but it sounds pretty damn cool.

LOL...funniest post tonight so far.

esss elllll eye :) have fun, and break a leg....

edit: srry, didnt see that someone already posted it ;)

To end it once and for all I contacted a friend, Gary Tarolli (cofounder and engineer at 3dfx and now at Nvidia) and he said it was S. L. I. at 3dfx and at Nvidia. He's heard a few people say "sly" but those were people not associated with the company.

:D

edit: The funny thing is, I talked to him over holidays and I kept mentioning that I was wanted to put together an SLI setup and like I have been since 98, I said "sly". I blamed it on a Diamond Graphics rep for saying it that way first and it stuck.

While we are at it we should produce proper pronuciations for all currently spelled out comptuer acronyms. They do not need to be perfect, as seen from SCSI = scuzzy.

So my first suggestion is:

FTP = Feet Pee

==>Lazn

I've always pronounced it Sly
The nvidia reps i've talked pronounced it Sly

Back when 3DFX released SLI. I only heard it Pronounced Sly

Saying the letters is for old timers. Just like SCSI is pronounced scuzzy. Sure alot of people liked saying S. C. S. I. but the mass went in the other direction.

Its pronounced S.L.I. but i dont see a problem with saying "Sly" because i've said it that way myself before and i've heard alot of others do the same. It actually sounds alright as a word unlike trying to say something like MSN or AOL.

And as far as SCSI drives go i still say S.C.S.I cause i think scuzzy just sounds retarded lol.

burningrave101 said:
Its pronounced S.L.I. but i dont see a problem with saying "Sly" because i've said it that way myself before and i've heard alot of others do the same. It actually sounds alright as a word unlike trying to say something like MSN or AOL.

And as far as SCSI drives go i still say S.C.S.I cause i think scuzzy just sounds retarded lol.

Regardless of what you think, if you're in a room full of real IT people and you spell out SCSI, they will all snicker at you. Some may even laugh openly. Same with saying 'sly' for SLI :)

It doesn't matter.

Saying it as a word as in "Sly" is exactly how it ess-el-eye sounds if you say it really fast.

ThomasE66 said:
Regardless of what you think, if you're in a room full of real IT people and you spell out SCSI, they will all snicker at you. Some may even laugh openly. Same with saying 'sly' for SLI :)

And i would care because...?

I guess thats what you call a nerds sense of humor but to me it doesn't matter which way you say it.

Sly sounds better for S.L.I. and S.C.S.I. drive sounds a hell of alot better then scuzzy drive.

Some people say tomato and some say tomoto. I dont see any law that says it has to be said one way or another. Its just common adoption as to which is politically correct.

burningrave101 said:

I guess thats what you call a nerds sense of humor but to me it doesn't matter which way you say it.

Sly sounds better for S.L.I. and S.C.S.I. drive sounds a hell of alot better then scuzzy drive.

Some people say tomato and some say tomoto. I dont see any law that says it has to be said one way or another. Its just common adoption as to which is politically correct.

I didn't say you should care :)

It also wasn't about humor. Pronounce things wrong and people won't take you seriously. It has nothing to do with being PC, it has to do with industry concensus. I personally don't care what anyone pronounces them as. I was just pointing out the fact that if you pronounce things that way you will not be taken seriously in an IT setting.

Wow, I did not think this post would get this much attention. I think I will just pronounce SLI as a word just to piss some of you off. :D While some of you feel this was a wasted post, I feel like this has been very informative and interesting.

I leave you with this. You ever heard a tech call a computer a CPU? God, I can't stand that. This one pisses me off more than anything.
CPU - Central Processing Unit.
We should all know that the processor (generally AMD or Intel) is the CPU. Anyways, just something I run into in the field every so often.

TRex said:
Wow, I did not think this post would get this much attention. I think I will just pronounce SLI as a word just to piss some of you off. :D While some of you feel this was a wasted post, I feel like this has been very informative and interesting.

I leave you with this. You ever heard a tech call a computer a CPU? God, I can't stand that. This one pisses me off more than anything.
CPU - Central Processing Unit.
We should all know that the processor (generally AMD or Intel) is the CPU. Anyways, just something I run into in the field every so often.
thats not not exactly what we are talking about....we are talking about pronounciation not retarded people and what they call things...

though it does piss me off too when they refure to a computer to be a CPU...i feel like i want to hit them...

saying S-C-S-I sounds like a tv show..... no one will know what your talking about
"my HDD died on S-C-S-I"....

Warrior said:
thats not not exactly what we are talking about....we are talking about pronounciation not retarded people and what they call things...

though it does piss me off too when they refure to a computer to be a CPU...i feel like i want to hit them...

What pisses me off even more than that is when they call the whole computer the "hard drive." I mean, jesus christ people, you probably use the damn thing every day, how hard is it to just know a little bit about the thing. I mean, no one points at their car and calls it an "engine," do they?

burningrave101 said:

I hope you'd care that you sound completely uninformed an unintelligent when you speak, whether it is about computer tech or tomatos. And who the hell says "tomoto?" Toe-moe-toe? :confused:

Also, language wouldn't work very well if we didn't have some sort of consensus on pronunciation. I mean, it wouldn't be very smart of me to decide tomorrow that the word "thought" sounds better when I pronounce it "thou-gut." No one would have any idea what I'm talking about.

Dr. X said:
I hope you'd care that you sound completely uninformed an unintelligent when you speak, whether it is about computer tech or tomatos. And who the hell says "tomoto?" Toe-moe-toe? :confused:

Also, language wouldn't work very well if we didn't have some sort of consensus on pronunciation. I mean, it wouldn't be very smart of me to decide tomorrow that the word "thought" sounds better when I pronounce it "thou-gut." No one would have any idea what I'm talking about.

Considering there is no "right" way and "wrong" way to say it when even nVidia employees say it as "SLY" i dont see how it makes you less intelligent considering most people in the computer field aren't english majors. In fact thats the whole reason why things like term papers are being incorporated into college computer courses today is to improve the english writing and speaking abilities of those in the computer field.

And tomato is pronounced differently depending on where you live in the world.

People pronounce common people names differently then how they appear to be so i dont see the difference. For example, my first name is Stephen. In my case its pronounced Steven. It can be pronounced as Steven or Stefen yet there is no "v" anywhere in my name.

For some acronyms it does sound stupid to pronounce it as a word. Like CPU pronounced as "spew" or something would sound stupid but thats just not the case with SLI. S.L.I or SLI sound nearly the same when you say them quickly.

Example: RAM = Random Access Memory

Its pronounced as the word "RAM". Its not pronounced as R.A.M.

So wheres the difference between RAM and SLI? It all comes down to what the first person started prounceing it as.

If i remember correctly SCSI was never called scuzzy from the beginning. Scuzzy was just a name later adopted.

Warrior said:
saying S-C-S-I sounds like a tv show..... no one will know what your talking about
"my HDD died on S-C-S-I"....

I would say alot more people would know what your talking about if you said SCSI then if you said scuzzy.

Lazn_Work said:
I hereby recommend that from this point forward we refer to CPU's as see-poo's.

==>Lazn

I tried ordering a BLT yesterday by asking the lady for a "bult"...she said "excuse me?"...I said *ahem* I'd like a "bult". Waitress says "I don't think we have that..." I say..."Cool, nevermind, I'll just have a B.L.T.

:)

My kids were CRACKING UP laughing.

I think we have all learned one thing from this post. The English language is fucked. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back