GTX Titan (final specs and bench)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if anyone has considered that Nvidia might not include an SLI connector on these cards..
Titan has two SLI connectors. Don't worry.

what makes this card hilarious is not the price, but the fact that it will most likely be voltage locked limiting overclocks. one thing I can say AMD does right is allows relatively unlimited overclocking options (i know there are recent PCB's from brands like sapphire that lock certain voltages, but most 7970's are not voltage locked)

How has voltage locked Nvidia cards affect you?

I think that changed with the release of the GTX 680. It was supposed to be the 670 or even 660, considering how much smaller of a die they used for it compared to the gtx 580. But if they had released that as the 660, and released the actual 680 as the titan, that would have been a card literally 2x faster than the 7970 at the time. And the technology was there to do it. But the opportunity for more profit was there, and they took it. I think AMD is destroying technology. Look at both Intel and Nvidia. Because of AMD's poor performance, neither of the 2 have felt the need to push ahead too far. Just put out something a bit better than the competition, and you're done. No need to go all out.

Basically the way I'm looking at it is from a business standpoint. Nvidia has the technology today, to put out a card faster than what AMD will put out a year from now. That would be the Titan. But if people just buy the best card on the market, and their card is already the best one out there, they don't feel much of a need to compete against their own product until one of the following happens:

1) AMD comes out with a better card, and Nvidia is forced to top them.
2) They feel the GTX 680 has been out for long enough, and they feel they have something with enough of a performance advantage to make people who bought a 6-series card do a hardware upgrade (similar to Apple's business model with the iPhone). That would require a significant enough performance increase to work.

Anything outside of those 2 scenario's would be a bad business move, and if we go off of Nvidia's reaction to the 294mm die GTX 680's performance, then they're quite aware of this.

Another completely daft post, sorry man. This is rubbish. Do you think cards happen in a month? Kepler is years in the making. They didn't hold anything back because of what AMD were doing.

Why release the 690 if they were so far ahead and trying not to dominate AMD? LOL it's nonsense of the highest order. The GK110 which is a compute card is been turned into a gaming part. There was no GK110 card available in March last year. In fact they were so desperate to getting something into the compute market that they put two Gk104's together to make the K10. Now we all know how crap the GK104 is at compute,so that just shows that they had nothing else available.

You also say you are looking at it from a business point of view, Well, in what business world are you living in that would hold back the release of the GK110 to the Tesla market until december this year? Holding back the GK110 from a very lucrative compute card market would be stupid.

Also, where are you getting this 2x faster than the 7970 from? The technology wasn't there to it? It's still not there now. Where are you getting these ideas from?

Another completely daft post, sorry man. This is rubbish. Do you think cards happen in a month? Kepler is years in the making. They didn't hold anything back because of what AMD were doing.

Why release the 690 if they were so far ahead and trying not to dominate AMD? LOL it's nonsense of the highest order. The GK110 which is a compute card is been turned into a gaming part. There was no GK110 card available in March last year. In fact they were so desperate to getting something into the compute market that they put two Gk104's together to make the K10. Now we all know how crap the GK104 is at compute,so that just shows that they had nothing else available.

You also say you are looking at it from a business point of view, Well, in what business world are you living in that would hold back the release of the GK110 to the Tesla market until december this year? Holding back the GK110 from a very lucrative compute card market would be stupid.

Also, where are you getting this 2x faster than the 7970 from? The technology wasn't there to it? It's still not there now. Where are you getting these ideas from?

K10 is crap at double precision, single precision is faster than K20

K10 is crap at double precision, single precision is faster than K20
For business, medical and industrial purposes my understanding was that double precision is all that anyone uses.

EK Water Blocks, Ljubljana based premium water cooling gear manufacturer, has opened a poll on EK-ThinkCell site where you can vote and choose your favourite design for the upcoming nVidia Geforce Titan Full Cover series water block as well as the redesign of the existing EK-Supremacy CPU water block.

I never had a problem with my EK blocks.

Copper or Nickel?

If you were running their copper blocks, you're prolly fine. Their nickel plating though is SHITTY. It flakes off and clogs other components of your system. It's just a bad day all around. Their never blocks also seem to have these aluminum cover plates on some areas, and they corrode there too.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1740358

Take a looksie.

I forgot how much of game changer the G80 was at the time.
Yep, I forgot how a big of a jump 7800gtx to 8800gt was for me.

I went from a 7800gtx SLI setup to a single 8800gt and saw a performance boost, that was HUGE!

My upgrade order...

Geforce 2 GTS 32mb
Geforce Ti4600 64mb
Nvidia 5700 Ultra 128mb
ATI 9800 128mb PRO
Nvidia 6800 GT
Nvidia 7800 GTX SLI
Nvidia 8800 GT
Nvidia 260 GTX
ATI 5870
Nvidia GTX 580
Nvidia GTX 670

ALSO 120hz gaming FTW, I was on (2) 170hz 21" Sony GDM-F520 CRT's up till Xmas of 2011!

Last edited:
§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1039617147 said:
My upgrade order...

Geforce 2 GTS 32mb
Geforce Ti4600 64mb
Nvidia 5700 Ultra 128mb
ATI 9800 128mb PRO
Nvidia 6800 GT
Nvidia 7800 GTX SLI
Nvidia 8800 GT
Nvidia 260 GTX
ATI 5870
Nvidia GTX 580
Nvidia GTX 670

That's not bad. I went straight from a GeForce 3 Ti to a GTX 570. There was a noticeable improvement in both image quality and performance.

wow....surprised that a company is putting the time into making a water block for the Titan..aren't there only going to be like 10k Titans made?

Contemplating a side move/slight upgrade from x3 6970s to a single Titan...how much of a boost if any could I expect if Titan is only 10% slower than a 690?

Copper or Nickel?

If you were running their copper blocks, you're prolly fine. Their nickel plating though is SHITTY. It flakes off and clogs other components of your system. It's just a bad day all around. Their never blocks also seem to have these aluminum cover plates on some areas, and they corrode there too.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1740358

Take a looksie.
I have an EK Supreme nickel plated CPU block, been running it since 2010 without a problem. Water flushes always come out clean. Was this a problem specific to their GPU block? I've only ever had waterblocks on my 5870s a couple of years ago, and those were Bitspower. I find water cooling too expensive for how often I change GPUs.

I have an EK Supreme nickel plated CPU block, been running it since 2010 without a problem. Water flushes always come out clean. Was this a problem specific to their GPU block? I've only ever had waterblocks on my 5870s a couple of years ago, and those were Bitspower. I find water cooling too expensive for how often I change GPUs.

It's been going on for a couple years now. I'd also be willing to bet if you pulled that block apart you'd find corrosion under the aluminum jet plate.

The biggest problem was how they handled it. Rather then just exchanging a couple blocks, they blamed the customers, then proceeded to sue their distributer that was replacing nickel plated blocks with normal copper ones.

Basically, they acted like fucking tools to the community. They shouldn't be rewarded for that.

It's been going on for a couple years now. I'd also be willing to bet if you pulled that block apart you'd find corrosion under the aluminum jet plate.

The biggest problem was how they handled it. Rather then just exchanging a couple blocks, they blamed the customers, then proceeded to sue their distributer that was replacing nickel plated blocks with normal copper ones.

Basically, they acted like fucking tools to the community. They shouldn't be rewarded for that.

This is the reason that I refuse to own any EK products. Instead of acknowledging the issue and fixing it, they decided they could afford to screw loyal customers over, and flush their own reputation down the toilet...

I have seen some great deals on used EK stuff that seems fine, but the first thing that pops in my mind is the flaking issue and how they handled it..Even though I wouldn't be supporting them directly its enough that I don't want to use their stuff..

Im sure more will come out today, I cant say much other than I know for a fact one specific reviewer gets his cards today. Alot that has come out in the last 24hrs was confirmed for the most part.

Those both work out to 1125 Dollars correct, Considering those numbers without the VAT and considering we pay no taxes that is. 1000-1200 was the latest numbers out there.

Last edited:
Those both work out to 1125 Dollars correct, Considering those numbers without the VAT and considering we pay no taxes that is. 1000-1200 was the latest numbers out there.

Which is far away from the $899 retail asking price stated early on.

Resellers can add 10% to 15% and that can really help, dosen't matter that much when you were already spending close to 1k with taxes if buying local.

Resellers can add 10% to 15% and that can really help, dosen't matter that much when you were already spending close to 1k with taxes if buying local.

I doubt the Titan will be a card you can get locally. You'll have to add shipping ontop of it.

Vendors like that always put up the pre-orders for way more than MSRP, this isn't new.

Interesting. I plan on going LGA2011 later this year and I will be replacing my waterblock for that, who do you recommend? Performance is what I care about most, money is not really a concern.

I doubt the Titan will be a card you can get locally. You'll have to add shipping ontop of it.

Local stores will be getting some, I know some employees will be able to get ahold of some, but their will be none for customers at my local store, some of the stores in bigger markets will get enough for customers and employees, but to your point if 10k are made, the US will see 2.5k at the most, North America makes up 15-20% of discrete GPU sales so thats why I say that.

I would have said the same thing not too long ago, but Europe and Asia especially the latter are far bigger markets than most realize. Americans make up 50% of off MB AMG sales but the enthusiast pc markets are growing much faster overseas than here.

I would have said the same thing not too long ago, but Europe and Asia especially the latter are far bigger markets than most realize. Americans make up 50% of off MB AMG sales but the enthusiast pc markets are growing much faster overseas than here.

Well obviously North America is smaller compared to the size of the European market. Not arguring that, but I think your numbers are still off. But I also think there is more than 10,000 going to be made. Maybe 10,000 inital.

Last edited:
Interesting. I plan on going LGA2011 later this year and I will be replacing my waterblock for that, who do you recommend? Performance is what I care about most, money is not really a concern.

If money isnt a concern I would look into a aquacomputer kryos xt, the silver edition is the most badass cpu block Ive ever seen

I've seen places like Newegg and NCIX increases their prices just like everyone else. You get real.

I've seen places like Newegg and NCIX increases their prices just like everyone else. You get real.

Now I know you're just trolling... no, they launch at the MSRP. That isn't even the point though, you're trying to base pricing off of reselling dropshippers which are never accurate.

Now I know you're just trolling... no, they launch at the MSRP. That isn't even the point though, you're trying to base pricing off of reselling dropshippers which are never accurate.

And you are basing pricing off a rumor, wheras I am basing my pricing on what is actually out there on the internet and priced right now.

Show me a retailer pricing at $899 and then we'll talk. Move on.

Newegg would be the cheapest, their attempts at going public never go well because their margins are 1-2%, but I wouldnt be surprised to see higher prices than $899, everything in the last 24hrs is pointing to higher prices, which I really don't see the extra couple hundred bucks being a big difference, alot of people that get one in the coming days are going to pay considerably more going thru ebay.

What's the consensus here...From the posted rumored benchmarks, this card is a little slower then the 690gtx.... If the price of the titan is inflated over the price of the 690, how many of you guys are still gonna go for the titan?

I wonder for the price how 2 titans in sli would fair against 2 690's in (quad) sli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back