GTX Titan (final specs and bench)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's using a cooler similar to the 690, that would have added like $100 to the cost of the card.

Those generalized statements are all yours. It's obviously not the only factor at play, but large amounts of VRam obviously do have an impact on performance at high resolutions. If you weren't so busy tripping over your own ego you would at least acknowledge that.

Nice back-pedal. Titan will be a high resolution performance powerhouse due to it's GK110 high performance processor, it's RAM clock speed and it's 384-bit memory bus. That is what determines performance, not quantity of VRAM. A 3GB Titan would perform identical to a 6GB Titan if the applications frame-buffer memory requirement stays below 3GB (which 99.9% of the time it does/will). 6GB of VRAM only comes into play to prevent the crippling of the GPU due to RAM quantity limits and to keep performance the same when VRAM quantity demands it, not increase it's relative performance.

Hence, stating (smugly I might add):

6Gb VRam. Ya think?

for the reason why Titan is a high resolution powerhouse is incorrect.

A 3GB Titan would perform identical to a 6GB Titan if the applications frame-buffer memory requirement stays below 3GB (which 99.9% of the time it does/will).

I would disagree with your 99.9% claim. There clearly is a benefit at play here.

Hence, stating (smugly I might add):
for the reason why Titan is a high resolution powerhouse is incorrect.

I'll concede that my comment may have come across as smug, but I also never attributed the VRam as "the reason why Titan is a high resolution powerhouse". My comment was in response to your saying it performed better at high resolutions compared to low resolutions, textbook example of what you see with high VRam cards.

Look's like Titan does better at higher resolutions than lower.

Last edited:
But you are missing the point. Titan doesn't perform better at high resolutions compared to low resolutions because of the quantity of VRAM (the only reason you listed in your original post).

It's architecture is what makes it fast at high resolutions. Having 6GB of VRAM just ensures it's speed doesn't decrease in rare and demanding frame-buffer scenarios. Am I glad it has 6GB of VRAM? Yes, as my new surround build is underway.

But you are missing the point. Titan doesn't perform better at high resolutions compared to low resolutions because of the quantity of VRAM

I disagree, it's clearly a factor.

Having 6GB of VRAM just ensures it's speed doesn't decrease in rare and demanding frame-buffer scenarios.

Agreed, but this becomes increasingly less "rare" as you crank up the resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back