GPU Suggestion for while I wait..

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
I am putting together a new build, probably a Ryzen 5600X on a B550 board, and I need a new GPU but I'm not paying $1200 for what I'd like to have. Due to some life circumstances, I've been out of the loop for the past 8 or 9 years so I don't know the scene very well other than to say it's fucked. What should I be looking at to get me back gaming again albeit at lower quality than what I'd like. I have a 27" 1440p monitor.

Would spending $350 on a GTX 1650 DDR6 or $400 on a GTX 1650 Super be a bad idea? What would the AMD equivalent be? I want to buy new.

Thanks

Bummer. There's a fairly solid chance of getting a $400-$500 RTX 2060 there(which would have been a horrible price a year ago but is solid now for a new card) as well as the AMD cards are somewhat readily available. If you keep an eye out on Newegg or Antonline they frequently will have bundles in stock which if you are doing a new build would probably work out okay for you. There's not any on Newegg currently, but they were doing ones like a 6600xt + a motherboard for maybe $500-$600 that were staying in stock. This thread and this thread are helpful.

I would not buy a 1650 or 1650 super for that price unless you need a card immediately and don't mind overpaying and don't want to have to put effort into getting something better. If you would be willing to buy a used card there are some pretty good options there, but I know you said you wanted new.

Reactions: Tobit
like this
I would not buy a 1650 or 1650 super for that price unless you need a card immediately and don't mind overpaying and don't want to have to put effort into getting something better. If you would be willing to buy a used card there are some pretty good options there, but I know you said you wanted new.
I don't need anything too fancy. Hell, I'd probably mostly play things like modded Skyrim and eve online while I wait to get better pricing on something like a 6700 XT or a 3070.

Edit: mostly I'd like to just get the system running at this point.

I am putting together a new build, probably a Ryzen 5600X on a B550 board, and I need a new GPU but I'm not paying $1200 for what I'd like to have. Due to some life circumstances, I've been out of the loop for the past 8 or 9 years so I don't know the scene very well other than to say it's fucked. What should I be looking at to get me back gaming again albeit at lower quality than what I'd like. I have a 27" 1440p monitor.

Would spending $350 on a GTX 1650 DDR6 or $400 on a GTX 1650 Super be a bad idea? What would the AMD equivalent be? I want to buy new.

With a 1440P monitor or even 1080p monitor, I wouldnt go for GTX 1650 or anything that has 4GB video memory these days. Newer games are more heavy on the video memory then before and even though lots of games would run with only 4GB, many games bottleneck faster by the lower memory then the GPU itself.
The moment you have higher resolution, high res textures and some AA, some games start using system memory and you get stutter and other game breaking visual artifacts.

I bought a cheap prebuild computer a while ago with an AMD R5 3600 CPU and a GTX 1660 Super GPU (with 6gb). Ive replaced GPU, cooling, case and other things since then. With tweaking some settings, I could get a decent picture in 1080P and 1440P above console quality with FPS above 60fps in games like Horizon - Zero dawn, Red dead redemption 2, Borderlands 3 and other not too old games. Its possible going cheap and get a good experience!

like this
I don't need anything too fancy. Hell, I'd probably mostly play things like modded Skyrim and eve online while I wait to get better pricing on something like a 6700 XT or a 3070
It needing to be new is going to be a real challenge. If you're selective and watch the FS/T forum here you can still get fair deals. Something like an RX 570 4GB or GTX 980 for $200 but those would be used. A 1650 once the mining craze is over will not be worth much at all, so if you're buying one to hold you over you're going to end up getting screwed on the back end for resale value and would have been better off paying scalper prices to begin with. Roguecast has a 6600xt in stock right now for $530 - https://roguecast.com/product/73528f9c-82fa-4f27-a9af-684859a1f193 That probably would handle everything you want honestly if you're willing to occasionally compromise on settings.

Wow, that same exact card is $830 + $50 shipping at Newegg.
That is from a 3rd party seller on Newegg. Just like Amazon they will let other companies post stuff on there for sale for outrageous prices. If it's a "Newegg Marketplace" seller I would avoid it like the plague. That listing shows 'Sold and shipped by: Vooyit 90 Ratings (72% Positive)'

Roguecast is legit, I've bought a monitor and a video card there. They're just somewhat in between fair pricing and scalper pricing. Some people here have called them Scalpcast. I would still pay $530 for a 6600xt way before I'd pay $400 for a 1650 super though.

I don't need anything too fancy. Hell, I'd probably mostly play things like modded Skyrim and eve online while I wait to get better pricing on something like a 6700 XT or a 3070.
Could those run today on an integreted GPU like a 5600 or 5700G:

?

That an option to consider if you do not want to buy a pre-build or chase a gpu one day you buy a gpu and you have an extra backup gpu already on place (and more monitor that you can plug if that ever become relevant to you).

Reactions: Axman
like this
Could those run today on an integreted GPU like a 5600 or 5700G
If I go this route, isn't the GPU on the i7-11700K better? I'm not stuck on AMD for the build.

If I go this route, isn't the GPU on the i7-11700K better? I'm not stuck on AMD for the build.
Maybe for many things like efficiency at decoding-encoding I am not sure, but the AMD apu is more thought about gaming actual game in mind while intel solution are driving screen during application, videos and light gaming:

A 5700g is a complete tier above the intel solution in big game (if not 2 tier) from what I understand.

RnGoC4gBcwx5uaXL4zU2qC-970-80.png.webp

If you are ready to play low res, medium setting or older game for a while until a gpu that something to at least take a look, it is beating a 1030 and anything else right now is ultra pricey.

Last edited:

Thanks
I have been trying to get a video card at MSRP since November and havent. I gave up and bought a lenovo legion laptop with a geforce 2060m 6gb for $899. It works fantastic actually. I use it as a desktop, plugged into external mouse, keyboard, 31" 1440p 144hz monitor. Otherwise get a 5700G with fast ram.

From Tom's Hardware:

Ultimately the Ryzen 5 5600G is the real star of the show, though. Given that the $259 Ryzen 5 5600G's iGPU performance lands within a ~5% percent of the $359 Ryzen 7 5700G, but for 30% less cash, it's unquestionably the best value if you're looking to use the integrated graphics for gaming.

Screw it, I'm going to get an $80 GT 730 4GB for now and go with the 5600X CPU. I don't mind keeping it around later after I upgrade. This will allow me to get the system built and tweaked and it will play Skyrim and EVE Online and a few other older titles for now.

After studying some benchmarks for some of the newer games I'd like to play at 1440p (Cyberpunk 2077 is one example), I'm going to wait around for an RTX 3070, RTX 2080 TI, RX 6800 XT, or a RTX 3080.

Reactions: travm
like this
Screw it, I'm going to get an $80 GT 730 4GB for now and go with the 5600X CPU. I don't mind keeping it around later after I upgrade. This will allow me to get the system built and tweaked and it will play Skyrim and EVE Online and a few other older titles for now.

After studying some benchmarks for some of the newer games I'd like to play at 1440p (Cyberpunk 2077 is one example), I'm going to wait around for an RTX 3070, RTX 2080 TI, RX 6800 XT, or a RTX 3080.
Just a thought: Radeon 290Xs are going for about $150 on ebay. It's still kinda steep, but not as outrageously expensive as most other cards, and it's a way more powerful card than the GT730.

I know you said you wanted to buy new, but I'm not sure you'll like the experience of playing Skyrim on that GT730. That was a weak GPU even in 2011 when Skyrim came out.

Just get a 6600xt bundle for <600 from newegg when they pop-up and fuggetaboutit coz it's not gonna get better anytime soon. Some of the 6600xt bundles are legit deals with decent, value motherboards and PSUs.

like this
Just a thought: Radeon 290Xs are going for about $150 on ebay. It's still kinda steep, but not as outrageously expensive as most other cards, and it's a way more powerful card than the GT730.

I know you said you wanted to buy new, but I'm not sure you'll like the experience of playing Skyrim on that GT730. That was a weak GPU even in 2011 when Skyrim came out.
So what IS a good deal on eBay?

I just checked completed sales on eBay for my crappy old 660 Ti, and I was surprised to see the number of sales over $100. That card is probably 8-9 years old by now. I had planned to replace it with a 3060 Ti, but ...

I've got a STB Velocity 64 for $1000 if you want it. Handles Minesweeper and Delta Force in CPU render mode like a champ.

Thanks
I don't believe a 1650 has the power to push 1440p respectably. I would suggest no lower than a rtx 2070 in my opinion. If you can find new great if not used is not bad. I got a 1060 a couple years ago for a tester gpu and it doesn't handle 1440p playable at all the frames tank hard even on low/medium that's why I suggest a 2070 minimum.

GT 730? Maybe you can play the original DOOM at 60fps, that card blows.

You'd be way better with the AMD iGPU or simply dropping some scratch at rougecast (just don't wait, the cards sell out quickly and disappear).

Also, I see some RTX 3060s for under $700 on ebay. I know that is a lot of money for the card, but it's pretty decent.

I have one and I'm playing at 4K and it's okay. For older games I can max out at 4K. Even Cyberpunk 2077 I can play 4K all low settings DLSS and get 60fps.

I'd suggest grabbing a 5700G, and visit LowSpecGamer on YouTube while you wait out til next year, then grab Ryzen 6000 APUs for 2 more years until GPU prices are sane again.

Either that or just say fuck it, and buy a Nintendo Switch and be happy.

I have a 5700G, I'd suggest the 5600G instead honestly. Better price per performance value. As mentioned above.

Not to say the the 5700G isn't decent, it's on par with a 2700X and a GT 1030 performance wise. If you intend to upgrade later, I'd just go with the 5600G.

like this
My 2 cents.
Search out a GTX 1050 ti on the used market for anywhere around the $150-250 mark (depending on your luck/preference) and game at lower res while you wait out the storm.

like this
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bummer. There's a fairly solid chance of getting a $400-$500 RTX 2060 there(which would have been a horrible price a year ago but is solid now for a new card) as well as the AMD cards are somewhat readily available. If you keep an eye out on Newegg or Antonline they frequently will have bundles in stock which if you are doing a new build would probably work out okay for you. There's not any on Newegg currently, but they were doing ones like a 6600xt + a motherboard for maybe $500-$600 that were staying in stock. This thread and this thread are helpful.

If you have a MC near you shouldn't settle for a over priced 2060. You have a good chance getting a 3xxx if you are persistent. Many times I walked in my MC after work and got a 30x0 card.

like this
If you have a MC near you shouldn't settle for a over priced 2060. You have a good chance getting a 3xxx if you are persistent. Many times I walked in my MC after work and got a 30x0 card.
Maybe we should encourage MC to open more stores. Right now, the closest MC is like 400 miles away.

Maybe we should encourage MC to open more stores. Right now, the closest MC is like 400 miles away.
Only 200 hours for me (St. Louis store) but my truck only gets 12 MPG, expensive trip if they don't end up having anything decent in stock.

So, I've been watching a few videos and 1080p gaming isn't too bad on the 5600G APU, even Skyrim plays at medium with 50-100 FPS. However, I should probably take, out of my wish list, the 1440p monitor I was hoping to get and swap it with a 1080p for now. Get something better next year when I can finally get a GPU capable of higher quality play.

Edit: I could run Skyrim in windowed mode though. Hmm..

Playing games at 1440 with an APU is quite a stretch. Even 1080 can be tough in some games with the 5700g, but, depends on what you play, you can get by till better prices and stock exist.

That is a double edge sword there. The reason MC is so great if cause they are relatively a small company. Once they start getting investors and start expanding it will turn to shit like Best Buy. I do wish everyone would have access to one.

The empty Frys stores are probably still just sitting there.
Sure. The Frys closest to me is just a big, empty building right now. But at least, it's not competing with MC any longer. Once upon a time, Frys was a good outfit. Used to spend a lot there. Then "stuff" happened and I stopped buying everything but cables and other generic items there.

Last edited:
Back