GPU Suggestion for while I wait..

Easier to swallow the pricing if you can mine in your downtime. I have all my pcs mining when Im not using it. If you can't beat them join them.

For some reason so many people get the wrong impression of apu's and think that they are a good solution for a low end videocard. They aren't. They're just a solution for NO videocard, or the LOWEST END VIDEO CARD MONEY CAN BUY.

If you're buying an apu, you'll be targeting 720p gaming with reduced settings. Anything more than that and the frames start to tank fast. There will be exceptions where you can pull in more fps or resolutions on much less demanding games, but they are the exception, not the rule.
AMD seems to be changing that as their latest APUs are just as capable as GTX 1050 Ti cards where you can play 1080p at low detail and have reasonable frame rates. Onboard graphics were originally designed for display only, foregoing the extra cost of add in video card. Because of AMD and Intel with their Iris onboard graphics, the bar has been raised and keeps getting raised so that a person buying an APU can expect to play games, at lower detail settings, without spending a lot more for an add in card. This can be helpful for OEMs that want to pinch pennies and say that more PCs they make have gaming capability.

Reactions: Tobit
like this
In the winter sure. In the summer fuck that.
Agreed. At the height of ETH in 2017, I had 5 PCs mining in my small apartment (a 6-GPU mining rig and 4 gaming PCs with Nicehash).

I think it was generating about $40 per day (but my electricity was expensive, so much less profit), however, I lived in a hot area of California and it was during the summer.

My apartment was like friggin' Dante's Inferno. I couldn't even sleep because the place was so hot. Not worth it for $40.

Agreed. At the height of ETH in 2017, I had 5 PCs mining in my small apartment (a 6-GPU mining rig and 4 gaming PCs with Nicehash).

I think it was generating about $40 per day (but my electricity was expensive, so much less profit), however, I lived in a hot area of California and it was during the summer.

My apartment was like friggin' Dante's Inferno. I couldn't even sleep because the place was so hot. Not worth it for $40.

Except in Summer 2017, ETH was ~$250. $40 a day at $250 = $500 a day at $3200 now if you held onto it.

Yes, believe me, I've looked at the numbers. I would have made a lot more if I held, but also that was 4 years ago and no telling if I would have panic sold before now.

For some reason so many people get the wrong impression of apu's and think that they are a good solution for a low end videocard. They aren't. They're just a solution for NO videocard, or the LOWEST END VIDEO CARD MONEY CAN BUY.

If you're buying an apu, you'll be targeting 720p gaming with reduced settings. Anything more than that and the frames start to tank fast. There will be exceptions where you can pull in more fps or resolutions on much less demanding games, but they are the exception, not the rule.
I agree, I'd only do it if I was okay playing classics and the like. Basically what I use it for on my laptop.

I have a Ryzen APU on my laptop. Didn't read any reviews before buying it, and was kind of disappointed with gaming performance.

I can run DOOM 2016 at 720p low and get decent fps. But anything newer than that is a no go. But I can play indie 2D games and visual novels, that's fine for me if I'm traveling.

It's like we wish to go back to days when 12nm Ryzen 5 1600 AF cost $85 and the RX 5500 XT 8gb cost $189 .. what was that like 6 or 7 years ago ?

I have a Ryzen APU on my laptop. Didn't read any reviews before buying it, and was kind of disappointed with gaming performance.

I can run DOOM 2016 at 720p low and get decent fps. But anything newer than that is a no go. But I can play indie 2D games and visual novels, that's fine for me if I'm traveling.
I guess the question is which APU you got. A 4500U isn’t going to be tearing anything up FPS wise. An H series with the larger tsp will do a lot better.

Yeah, it's a 4500U. And it wasn't expensive, the laptop was like $700 if I recall correctly.

Check out this video for guides on gaming on that CPU:

Plus, if your laptop is in single channel mode, definitely upgrade the RAM to dual channel.

Nvidia T600 is $300, I even see it for $240 sometimes. A bit weaker than a GTX1650 but better than APU. Can repurpose it for a htpc build down the road.

Just helped my friend build a new rig today. AMD 5700G with ddr4 3600 CL 16. Very impressed with its performance. We didnt try any demanding titles yet, but CS:GO was getting 90fps on 1080p high. Left for dead was maxed out and played perfect. Mechwarrior online is getting 70fps on 1600x900 with medium settings. 5700g looks like it would hold me over for awhile (wow, diablo, etc would be fine on it)

Yeah, Left4Dead runs great on my laptop too, but that is a pretty old game and wasn't even that demanding when it came out.

I mean, yeah, it's okay. Just don't expect to be playing new games on anything other than all low settings.

Back