Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

i don't think my west37 can last til true OLEDs come.

so meanwhile i have my eyes on the panny plasmas that do 3-D or those LED backlit/edge-lit samsungs.

Yeah mine is having those smudges coming in it too...but it isn't bad right now...

It might have to move to like a garage tv or something soon :(

Mine's still going strong* knocks on wood*. However It will be 2 years old this september. When should I start to be concerned about it going? Is it around the 2 year mark or so? I really wanted to replace this with a 120hz lcd for my primary computer/pc gaming use but I'm not even sure if they are available in abundance and in this size range? I really hope it doesn't die anytime soon. :(

I got one on craiglist cheap it looks great performing like champ xbox looks great on it.

Mine's still going strong* knocks on wood*. However It will be 2 years old this september. When should I start to be concerned about it going? Is it around the 2 year mark or so? I really wanted to replace this with a 120hz lcd for my primary computer/pc gaming use but I'm not even sure if they are available in abundance and in this size range? I really hope it doesn't die anytime soon. :(

Yeah I guess the 2 1/2 year mark is where mine started going out

I just bought a refurbished Sharp LC-40LE700UN at tigerdirect with 15% bcb for $759 shipped. Not too shabby.

Mine has some minor "smudging" that only shows on white background but it has not changed in a year...

Still loving this display and people STILL drool over it...

In reference to at least these two previous posts:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035337516&postcount=6321
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035399829&postcount=6339

As reported, I also had this blotching.

Well, I completely stopped using my Westy about two maybe three months ago. I had even talked to where I had bought it, to see about if they might cover that in the extended five-yr warranty I bought (run out May of 2011). I just haven't bothered to get it replaced yet.

But oddly enough, I just got cable, and hooked it up to my Westy.

It took about four hours for it to dawn on me, but the blotchiness issue is completely gone. Not even a hint of it.

So, it appears to me, that if you have this issue, turn your monitor off for a few months, and it might just cure itself!

In reference to at least these two previous posts:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035337516&postcount=6321
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035399829&postcount=6339

As reported, I also had this blotching.

Well, I completely stopped using my Westy about two maybe three months ago. I had even talked to where I had bought it, to see about if they might cover that in the extended five-yr warranty I bought (run out May of 2011). I just haven't bothered to get it replaced yet.

But oddly enough, I just got cable, and hooked it up to my Westy.

It took about four hours for it to dawn on me, but the blotchiness issue is completely gone. Not even a hint of it.

So, it appears to me, that if you have this issue, turn your monitor off for a few months, and it might just cure itself!

Huh I haven't turned mine on in about 5-6 months...Will try it out here in a little bit...If it works I love ya! :p

Mine's been the bedroom TV and I use it every night to watch standard def DVDs up-converted on it... the picture on mine still looks very good to me.. I was noticing some minor ghosting while the unit warmed up when I used it as a gaming display just before went eyefinity.. within 10 minutes though I could see no traces of it.. it for sure didn't do that until after a few years of use... don't notice that at all watching DVDs though..

My two are still perfect in terms of image quality. I've moved to a 30" and now they are just taking up space, but sadly I have had the hardest time getting rid of these things. I'm almost to the point of wanting to buy a 3rd one and do some crazy-stoopid triple wide surround/Eyefinity setup in the basement, lol. It would be worth it just to witness the insanity.

Got mine during the Costco frenzy, one regular and one SE; both still doing great. I'm still anticipating their failures, but have yet to find a definite replacement model. :(

I know what you mean. These were very unique, actually. There are endless choices of HDTVs, but I'm not aware of any that do as well as this one in terms of being a PC monitor.

My two are still perfect in terms of image quality. I've moved to a 30" and now they are just taking up space, but sadly I have had the hardest time getting rid of these things. I'm almost to the point of wanting to buy a 3rd one and do some crazy-stoopid triple wide surround/Eyefinity setup in the basement, lol. It would be worth it just to witness the insanity.

I have thought about that many times.. would be awesome. bezels are a little big but whateva..

I think I am selling my Westy :( I am still undecided, but I am trying to get my grubby mitts on a 30 incher and i gotta offset the cost somehow.. I love the westy, but I am looking to downsize (to a 30 inch, lol). I can't believe the bang for the buck this westy has haha. It is too much fun playing an fps, as I am sure you all know

If anyone is interested in coaxing a sale out of me, PM me. I am in Madison, WI at the moment. I guess mine might make a fine addition to someone's eyefinity madness :D

my 37w1 is still going strong, just survived another move.. (that is 3 moves for my westy)..

no issues what so ever, it has been the most rock solid monitor i've bought.. even my BenQ 19" LCD went out..

i'm guessing my westy will need capacitors come the next 6 months but not bad considering how often lcds need their caps replaced.

Just an FYI that three weeks later, my blotchiness is back. I even had the backlight turned down. Slowly returned, but it looks like it's here to stay.

Still considering returning to it as my gaming monitor instead of my 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

That's a shame. It really is a unique and fantastic monitor for gaming and general PC use. I was looking to get one back when we all first "discovered" it, but didn't have the funds available. Black Friday is predicted to be incredible for HDTVs this year, though... so you might want to keep an eye out for something good on the cheap once Thanksgiving rolls around. (Not far off now)

R.I.P. if you end up re-retiring the Westy. :(

Black Friday is predicted to be incredible for HDTVs this year, though... so you might want to keep an eye out for something good on the cheap once Thanksgiving rolls around. (Not far off now)

R.I.P. if you end up re-retiring the Westy. :(

My Westy's still under warranty for another seven months. I've even been in contact with them about getting it (almost certain to be, since it can't be fixed cheap they said) replaced a couple of months ago.

(I already got them to agree that image burn/persistence/whatever it is isn't something that should have occurred. I didn't even have to argue at all, I was very surprised!)

Neither of us is sure what they'd replace it with, and what's a suitable/reasonable replacement. So, I'm waiting to see what the market brings in the coming months before talking to them again.

I'm not sure what they have that's going to be a hybrid tv that has DVI connections. As you said, finding the mix between the two isn't really what they had available.

In the end, it is an "M" for monitor, but was sold in the tv section. So, I know they're going to try and offer a tv, which I do understand, but don't really want. And they sure as heck do not have a 37" monitor. So, I have to figure out what might be reasonable/acceptable as a monitor with the HDMI connections, I guess. I don't want to just accept any ol' tv from them if it won't function well as a monitor.

In the end, if we can't agree, I'm hoping they just offer me cash, a refund of my extended warranty, or probably best-case would be credit towards something better that's over-qualified as a suitable replacement.

But, I don't watch tv. So, I really don't want a tv. (So, we're back to why it hasn't been replaced already...)

I bet they already understand what Eyefinity/surround is, and might suggest a cheap multi-monitor solution. While that would be as wide as my 37", and is arguably the same desktop size x3, what I don't like is 3x the res for my video cards to bother with, and if you turn down the res the image quality will now stink, and if I just play on one monitor, I may as well use my bigger 30"er that's 2560x1600.

Eh, I'm hoping BF and other deals will push the value of something down so they consider it comparable, but I know they'll just argue that just pushes down the value of my Westy as well.

So, again, back to deciding the value of the Westy, and settle on cash, refund of extended warranty or store credit. (But their sh**'s all over-priced, so not thrilled about that idea... Only reason I got my Westy there was the five-yr extended warranty...)

Personally, I think I'll explain the entire situation to someone in management or something and see if they'll go with probably my best-case scenario IMO: refund my extended warranty in full, and let me just keep my monitor. They can't replace it satisfactorily, sounds reasonable to me? (They're not out any money or anything else?)

I mean, shoot, even SquareTrade would give me the cash value of my monitor in this situation... (which is probably about equal to the cost of the extended warranty anyway...)

Anyone notice having a harder time playing FPS games on this cause of the size? I sit about 4-5 feet away from it as well. I feel like I play better on a 24 inch since I don't have to move my head just my eyes to see whats going on. For RTS games and WoW its very nice though. I am thinking about switching to two 24-27 monitors instead but not sure what kind to go with.

Anyone notice having a harder time playing FPS games on this cause of the size? I sit about 4-5 feet away from it as well. I feel like I play better on a 24 inch since I don't have to move my head just my eyes to see whats going on. For RTS games and WoW its very nice though. I am thinking about switching to two 24-27 monitors instead but not sure what kind to go with.

For FPS 2 monitors is the worst.. your cross hair is right in the middle.. Either 3 or 1 monitor for FPS.

For FPS 2 monitors is the worst.. your cross hair is right in the middle.. Either 3 or 1 monitor for FPS.

No I wont be using 2 screens for FPS just 1, I like having the extended display. Just more room when playing wow in windowed mode I can have a browser open at the same time or do other stuff.

Just curious if anyone with this monitor has experienced the same thing as I am with FPS or if its just me.

No problems with FPS's when I had mine. I played quite well on it in fact. We can grab a game of Quakelive if you like, I'm on a 52" now :p

Just curious if anyone with this monitor has experienced the same thing as I am with FPS or if its just me.
im sure others had issues. i had issues at first, but they went away after a couple weeks.
No problems with FPS's when I had mine. I played quite well on it in fact. We can grab a game of Quakelive if you like, I'm on a 52" now :p
which model? is the text as nice as it is on the westy?

No, red text has issues. I'm on a Sharp 700UN now, its black level and contrast blow the westy out of the water, but it has horrible dark tone smearing and trouble displaying red text.

It does use less power however, generates less heat and looks fantastic when you don't have a lot of action in dark scenes.

Tolyngee,

I've got the same "blotchiness" that you seem to be encountering, and yeah. There doesn't seem to be any real way to get rid of it. Not using it for long periods of time will send it packing only temporarily. It comes back fairly soon after use.

Anyway, my 37W3 has served me well for a few years now, but the blotchiness is getting to me. I'm thinking of looking into some similarly sized displays for use as a monitor. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of other 37 inch 1080p displays that would make a good companion to a 37W3?

... Does anyone have any suggestions or know of other 37 inch 1080p displays that would make a good companion to a 37W3?

I replaced one of mine with an LG 42LD450 and couldn't be happier. I just wish I bought another one to replace my other westy. Got it for $500 @ AMZ. Got the 37LD450 originally, but then noticed the 42 was on sale for the same price so I returned the 37, lol.

Panel lottery with the LD450's, but both of the ones i got from amz were IPS. Low input lag, good blacks, etc. More info if you search the forums. ;)

I've owned a total of 4 Westinghouse 37" Monitors

1 x W1 ( died after a year )
1 x W1 ( Brand new, Warranty Replacement ) Sold to a local bar.
1 x W3 Sold with a system in 2009
1 x W3 New, out of box, 12 - 15 hours of use, still has sticker

Selling the new W3 which is perfect, not one scratch if anyone is interested. $500 local pickup only.

Selling mine pm me if you want dibs on it. $900 refurb online but I'll take $500. Legendary monitor wish I got 2 when they came out.

Would be interested in giving my current Westy a companion and willing to pay for it, but the local pickups and new bloods don't give me many choices. (I'm in WA, and would go as far as OR)

My current one is about 3 years old now, going strong and aside from a bit of image retention and a bit of dark splotches creeping in at the sides, it's still very usable.

Of course, doesn't seem to be any place to get these anymore... :(

My w3 going strong since may of 2007 here :)

I try to keep it preserved by turning the back light to zero when not gaming or watching a movie on it and I turn it off when not in use with the remote-even when I leave the room for an hour or so.

Def one of the best "tech" related purchases I have made in recent years. Finding a replacement when that day comes will not be so easy.I even made a custom computer desk keyboard tray for the keyboard and mouse which extends out more than 2 feet from the desk to prevent eyestrain-it has been a great setup.

My refurb westy 37" is still kickin, in as good IQ as it was when I got it. :)

I want to go eyefinity, though, so I may have to sacrifice it =/

same here! I have some burn-in issues, but im currently running jscreenfix deluxe a few hours a day for some pure white to try and fix it.

I notice that when I'm in Photoshop the color swatch palette that's in the upper right usually burns in and also websites with a lot of green do as well...

still looking for some perfect color/saturation/backlight settings though...

Back