Got my Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080p display today!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by 5150Joker, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jzodda

jzodda Gawd

My w3 is also still going strong. After 6 years as my primary monitor it now serves as a TV for the first time and it does a decent job.

It was one of the best purchases I have made in recent years as I have gotten so much use out of it and it's still going strong.

2. Marcustaz

Marcustaz n00b

My Westy is still going strong after 5 years! Purchased mine from Costco. I have tried other TV's in the 32 to 37 inch range and none have come close in picture quality. Was the best monitor for the money at the time and still I could not be more pleased with the purchase.

3. enc0re

enc0re [H]Lite

Ditto! Same model, same Costco model. Probably the best PC part money I've ever spent.

Image retention is my only gripe. If the Windows 8 login screen stays on for an hour, I'll have retention that takes a little while to go away.

No sense in upgrading until a good 4K monitor comes around; meaning one where 60hz is easy to do and that has a reasonable price.

4. MrMike

MrMike [H]ardness Supreme

We are on the same page. I have gotten my money's worth out of the Westy. I want to upgrade to 4K from this, but the image retention is really bad, and my right backlight is starting to dim.

5. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

wow... great to see so many of these still going strong. Legendary display! I gave mine away to someone who really needed a TV a couple years ago.. I think she still uses it.

6. enc0re

enc0re [H]Lite

I have always found the default backlight setting of 80 way too bright and dial it down to 20 or 0. Have you given that a try? Might make the fading less noticeable.

7. raidflex

raidflex Limp Gawd

I still have my Westy going on 7 years now without any issues, I agree it was one of the best electronic purchases.

I am looking to upgrade to the Dell U3415W that is coming out soon, depending on the price. I really don't want to go down to 27in. Hopefully the U3415W is not plagued with all the issues that the U3014 is having.

8. Danny Dawg

Danny Dawg [H]ard|Gawd

Mine finally died today of splotches. Could not handle it anymore. . they were getting too dark and all on one side. A little over 7 years of solid service. Debating whether to hold onto it for a bit and part it out (if such a thing can be done) or just toss/recycle it.

9. anonuser

anonuser [H]ard|Gawd

Same thing just happened to me. I have relegated it to backup TV in a spare bedroom as it still functions, but it will be time to upgrade my monitor. Unfortunately, I think it will be a size downgrade.

RIP Westy 37"

10. Richard2395

Richard2395 n00b

05/21/2014 my Westy Lvm37w3 still working without problems :D :D

11. g0dM@n

g0dM@n [H]ardness Supreme

Mine still runs strong. I had it for a few years and then gave it to my bro for a few years. One of my FAVORITE monitors for a PC. Nothing has been more vibrant to my eyes, and it truly was the perfect size.

12. Sprtfan

Sprtfan Limp Gawd

I have had this monitor forever it seems and it has served me well. Problem I'm having now is that I want to run HDMI out from my Surface RT to it and I can get picture and now sound. I have been able to do this with other TVs with the Surface RT. I remember there being some issues with the Westy and HDMI and thought there might have been a firmware update that I didn't bother with at the time since I didn't need it. Does anyone else remember this or can point me to where I can fine a firmware update? Or even how to check what firmware I'm on? Thanks

13. TheRapture

TheRapture [H]ardness Supreme

Can't help you on the firmware, I just wanted to post that my westy is still running happily. I gave it to my 15yr old son for his pc/Xbox display.

I finally downsized to a 27" display just for sheer size reasons.

14. H-street

H-street [H]ardness Supreme

Looks like it's time to sell my 37w1. What a great monitor mine is still going strong

15. revenant

wow... blast from the past! Glad some of you still enjoy your westy.

16. alf717

alf717 Gawd

I was looking up info on how my 37w3 handles RGB and this thread popped up again on Google. Man I'm glad mine still works. Still using it the same way now that I did back in '06. Still owe it to this thread for introducing me to Hard Forum and this monitor.

17. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

I still have my original and SE models. Gave the SE to my dad to use when his old CRT TV finally gave out; then I bought him a 42" plasma for Christmas a few years ago and he still uses the Westy in a bedroom! My non-SE Westy sits at my house unused. It's too large for our bedroom stand and I've moved on to higher-resolution displays for PC use, but man was that thing saweet! I'd love to pass it on to someone who would enjoy it but I shudder at the thought of the shipping costs.

18. Strikemaster

Strikemaster [H]ard|Gawd

Mine is still functional, going on it's eighth year of daily use, but wear is showing on the screen with patchy dark areas, and image retention issues are definitely distracting. All in all, I've gotten more than my money's worth from the monitor, so this is one bandwagon I don't regret climbing on. :D

19. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

Dang this thread makes me nostaligia really hard! Here is my old post college apartment circa 2006-2007, with my westy on the far desk to the right! I used to run some colorful background pictures lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. cstu

cstu n00b

Finally sold mine for $50 on Craigslist and was still working perfect after 10 years.

21. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

Thread necro, I still have one that works great :D

22. revenant

haha! yeah. I gave mine to a person in need - but at the time it still worked great. I remember when I planted that beast on my desk and my wife nearly fell over when she came home. ;)

23. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

LOL same here. I had put up a wallpaper of an exotic beach somewhere. She walked in and saw it for the first time and said "WOOWW!"

Last year when I bought my 48" SUHD 4K Samsung, which is not only larger but completely decimates the Westy when it comes to image quality, she was used to me having large monitors so she was like "Meh. That's nice." Lol.

My dad is still using one of my Westies in his spare bedroom - works great - and my other one is sitting unused in our basement with no one to love it. :(

revenant likes this.
  24. BrinNutz

BrinNutz [H]ardness Supreme

I'm still using my Westy 9 years later.

Thing has some issues arise, settings getting fuckered up. Remote with fresh batteries stopped working.

But I still use it!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016