Google Pixel 3

I'm on T-Mobile with my 3 XL, and I check every day still no May update. But the last few updates came out immediately each first Monday, I would check system update, on April 1st, and March 4th and February 4th, and the update was ready to go right away, first try.

But now it's back to like before, where updates would be nowhere for a good week or ten days.

I'm no Apple iPhone fan, but when there's an update, there's a frigging update for all, doesn't matter if you have Verizon or T-Mobile or unlocked, everyone gets the update the exact same time, same day. I thought Google was finally doing this, but seems to early to celebrate, as they are back to their delays, or maybe it's the carrier, but that never happens when an iPhone has a new update.

I'm on T-Mobile with my 3 XL, and I check every day still no May update. But the last few updates came out immediately each first Monday, I would check system update, on April 1st, and March 4th and February 4th, and the update was ready to go right away, first try.

But now it's back to like before, where updates would be nowhere for a good week or ten days.

I'm no Apple iPhone fan, but when there's an update, there's a frigging update for all, doesn't matter if you have Verizon or T-Mobile or unlocked, everyone gets the update the exact same time, same day. I thought Google was finally doing this, but seems to early to celebrate, as they are back to their delays, or maybe it's the carrier, but that never happens when an iPhone has a new update.

It's been several months now since my 2 XL on T-Mobile hasn't got the OTA the same day it's released. But it used to be every other month that I would have to wait days or up to two weeks one month to get the security update. The check for updates button has actually worked for me the past few months too.

I have unlock directly from Google, none of my device got the update...

Just did the update myself....

Well I just switched from the pixel 3 to the 3A and I gave my pixel 3 to my girlfriend. In day-to-day use it doesn't really feel much different. Once in awhile it will have a hitch just because of the slower processor but overall I don't see $400 worth of difference.

On Android beta Q6, I have a issue;

Text messages and Phone calls not coming in as Heads Up / Banner. Like if I'm typing this reply in my browser now, and I get a text, I don't see it, I just hear the beep and see the white text icon in upper left corner next to the clock in status bar.

Same with a incoming phone call, if I'm in my browser and I get a call now, I hear the phone ringing, but don't actually see the options for Answer, Decline, Screen Call. I only see the Phone icon up in status bar.

Having some quality issues with my pixel 3 XL lately I bought it brand new from Google last October and several things battery life seems to suck lately My network T-Mobile connection is really seem ****** the last month or so but that's probably more carrier than the phone and now my charging port is real funky I've tried three different wires and I have to unplug it plug it back in it doesn't always start charging I have to revert to wireless charging

Having some quality issues with my pixel 3 XL lately I bought it brand new from Google last October and several things battery life seems to suck lately My network T-Mobile connection is really seem ****** the last month or so but that's probably more carrier than the phone and now my charging port is real funky I've tried three different wires and I have to unplug it plug it back in it doesn't always start charging I have to revert to wireless charging
I know people love their type c ports but I have had nothing but issues with them on both the 6p and pixel2 xl. After a while the cable is becomes loose and a bitch to make a connection.

I know people love their type c ports but I have had nothing but issues with them on both the 6p and pixel2 xl. After a while the cable is becomes loose and a bitch to make a connection.

Agreed. One of the reasons I got another phone, not because it was to slow etc, but because it was so touchy to get to charge, and the battery was starting to show age. I ended up getting an S10e as I wanted something smaller for once and it had everything I needed. Camera is not as good, and annoying not being able to remove some of the Samsung apps, but livable, and it also has a 3.5mm jack and SD card slot, so fair trade offs. However the S10e has a far greater hold on the plug, even brand new the Pixel I had didn't "click" like the S10e does, it's a very noticeable click into place making me think it should hold up better over time.

Yup, add me to the list of people with the USB-C issue. It works fine, but over time that slot connection gets looser and looser. On day 1, cables were super snug and almost snapped into place. Now every cable I have fits loosely and some won't stay plugged in very well.

Yup, add me to the list of people with the USB-C issue. It works fine, but over time that slot connection gets looser and looser. On day 1, cables were super snug and almost snapped into place. Now every cable I have fits loosely and some won't stay plugged in very well.

Mine got so bad when plugging it into my truck, I had to set it just right in one of the cup holders, if the phone moved or anything touched the cable or if I put it in the mount (cable faces down) it would be enough to break the connection.

hmm, was not aware of this USB-C issue and you're right, the cable seems to fit in looser now, compared to brand new it would click, and stick. And my ear buds I connect via usb-c, the past couple week or so, they kept cutting out listening to music, and would only happen when the phone moved around a lot.

I'm no iPhone fan, but is Thunderbolt port better or different ?

Or my other option, would be to get one of those super fast wireless charging pads

Good to know I wasn't the only one with the USB c cable issues. I can spend 5 mins trying to stay connected. Just blowing on it would loose charging lol. I am going to be getting a new phone soon since the screen decided to crack randomly. Do other phones have this issue with USB c? My only experience with USB phones has only been Google's.

My finger print scanner also seems funky, like it works 60% to 70% first time, I need to move finger off, and back on again, whereas before it was damn near perfect, or 95% accurate. Actually I might prefer FaceID or something like that, it would avoid these finger print scan issues, and worse being at the pool with wet hands.

So is it just a matter of Google not supplying a high quality USB-C port inside their phones? Are there different grades or lower end and higher end ports that manufactures can build into their phone?

hmm, was not aware of this USB-C issue and you're right, the cable seems to fit in looser now, compared to brand new it would click, and stick. And my ear buds I connect via usb-c, the past couple week or so, they kept cutting out listening to music, and would only happen when the phone moved around a lot.

I'm no iPhone fan, but is Thunderbolt port better or different ?

Or my other option, would be to get one of those super fast wireless charging pads

I don't think it's USB-C it self, but the port design choice, as I have some mobile drives (SSD in an external) that use USB-C that are used often, more often than I have to charge my phone for, and the port connection is very solid still after almost 2 years of use.

Good to know I wasn't the only one with the USB c cable issues. I can spend 5 mins trying to stay connected. Just blowing on it would loose charging lol. I am going to be getting a new phone soon since the screen decided to crack randomly. Do other phones have this issue with USB c? My only experience with USB phones has only been Google's.

My S10e is new, so time will tell, but it does feel far more secure than the Pixel ever did. And I am using the same cables, so for sure it was phone side and not just worn out cables.

So is it just a matter of Google not supplying a high quality USB-C port inside their phones? Are there different grades or lower end and higher end ports that manufactures can build into their phone?

It seems like the opening has simply gotten bigger with repeated use. I don't feel like the actual connection has suffered so much as the port no longer tightly snugs the cables.
Anyone have experience with other phones doing this?

havent experienced any usb-c port issues on my pixel 3, I skipped the pixel 2 so I dunno about that one. Pixel 1 seemed normal in this regard as well...

I've held on to my 6p for this long because 1. Battery life is phenomenal. I can easily go 3 days between charges. 2. Wireless charging.

It's plenty fast and 64GB storage, is more than I need.

I've held on to my 6p for this long because 1. Battery life is phenomenal. I can easily go 3 days between charges. 2. Wireless charging.

It's plenty fast and 64GB storage, is more than I need.

The Nexus 6P? I'm a huge Nexus fan, and I owned the 6P, but that thing was famous for sh!t battery life, and having battery failure needing replacement. I was lucky to get 5.5h Screen On time. How the hell does your 6P go 3 days?

My bad, it's a 6, not a 6P. Don't know why the battery life is so good but it's by far the best of any phone I've ever owned.

Well, my Pixel 3 has just developed the camera force close issue and the rear camera/flashlight won't work anymore (seems to be a common issue). Here's what I tried:

1). Rolled back to prior camera app
2). Tried different camera app (says the rear camera is in use by a different program)
3). Cleared Camera app cache
4). Cleared Camera app data
5). Rebooted into safe mode and attempted to launch camera
6). Full factory reset and attempted to launch camera prior to logging in or installing any other apps

So long story short, seems like a hardware issue. Contacted Google Support, and it's "Out of Warranty," and I can pay to have it fixed. Awesome. I told the guy in chat, why is it that Google can't design a phone to last more than 14 months? This is the 3rd time this has happened. My OG Pixel developed the microphone problem just after the warranty ended, and my Nexus 5X had the bootloop issue at around 14 months also.

Well, my Pixel 3 has just developed the camera force close issue and the rear camera/flashlight won't work anymore (seems to be a common issue). Here's what I tried:

2). Tried different camera app (says the rear camera is in use by a different program)
6). Full factory reset and attempted to launch camera prior to logging in or installing any other apps

So long story short, seems like a hardware issue. Contacted Google Support, and it's "Out of Warranty," and I can pay to have it fixed. Awesome. I told the guy in chat, why is it that Google can't design a phone to last more than 14 months? This is the 3rd time this has happened. My OG Pixel developed the microphone problem just after the warranty ended, and my Nexus 5X had the bootloop issue at around 14 months also.
Bad luck.
I had a Nexus 5, OG Pixel, and now a 3XL. Haven't had a single problem. Hell, I still use the Nexus 5 as a media player on my home theater system.

Well, my Pixel 3 has just developed the camera force close issue and the rear camera/flashlight won't work anymore (seems to be a common issue)......

I wonder if you could try to re-flash the latest image or maybe an older image and see if it correct. Not just a factory reset. Could be hardware though, and it's unfortunate Google seems to be pretty sketch on support. I used to use Nexus and Pixels (before making the switch back to Samsung) and google support on their products always left me with a bad taste, they generally just go with "Sucks to be you attitude" about issues with their devices when you work with them. I'm sure it goes both ways tho and people have had horrible experience with samsung support and great with google and vice versa. IMO tho Google seems just as bad as Apple about hiding and denying issues with their branded hardware.

My Pixel 3 has been pretty good so far. I had one issue where call quality suffered for a month or so but it might have been carrier related and it went away eventually. Otherwise a lot of the small annoying issues that I had with the Samsung version of Android are not present in stock Android which makes me happy.

I wonder if you could try to re-flash the latest image or maybe an older image and see if it correct. Not just a factory reset. Could be hardware though, and it's unfortunate Google seems to be pretty sketch on support. I used to use Nexus and Pixels (before making the switch back to Samsung) and google support on their products always left me with a bad taste, they generally just go with "Sucks to be you attitude" about issues with their devices when you work with them. I'm sure it goes both ways tho and people have had horrible experience with samsung support and great with google and vice versa. IMO tho Google seems just as bad as Apple about hiding and denying issues with their branded hardware.

I can try that. My girlfriend uses the phone so I have to wait until later to get it off her after work.

We are also due for a monthly update so I might wait until then before I flash something else.

I switched back too Samsung this year

Sadly, I'm afraid I might have to do this, too. My Pixel 2 has seen better days and it seems like there's a catch to literally every other option out there. With Samsung it has always been software. How are the Samsung bundled apps these days? Is there any way to use the core Google apps (dialer and such) on one?

Sadly, I'm afraid I might have to do this, too. My Pixel 2 has seen better days and it seems like there's a catch to literally every other option out there. With Samsung it has always been software. How are the Samsung bundled apps these days? Is there any way to use the core Google apps (dialer and such) on one?

Yes, you just download the google apps from the play store and then set them as default. Pretty easy actually. I had an S8 for a while and that's what I did. Thinking about trying out the S10e.

Google/LG hardware has always been spotty. I've had the Gnex, Nexus 6P, and now Pixel 2, they all had their share of issues like hilariously bad battery life and reception (Gnex), premature battery failure and busted speaker (6P) and a full-effect display lottery (2 XL). But at least with the 2 XL, it came with a 2-year warranty, which up until recently I thought the Pixel 3 and 4 did too, but nope.

But after the weak showings Google has had the past couple years with phone (besides the 3a series that is great), I'm definitely switching to either Samsung or OP this year. They both have their trade-offs too for sure, but less so than the Pixels IMO, and much better hardware overall at least. Mostly I just want a wide-angle camera, which Google ignorantly left out of the Pixel 4 when pretty much all of their competitors have one. Hell, if I see a good deal on an iPhone 11 this year, I may just jump to that with how much Android has regressed in UI/customization and how much iOS has progressed recently. Also Apple's phones are objectively battery and performance champs now, meanwhile Google is putting a hilariously small 2800 mAh battery in the base Pixel 4 and barely competitive 3700 mAh in the XL, which even the 11 Pro Max has a bigger battery than that and it's much more power efficient on top of it.

Well, after learning my lesson with my OG Pixel and trying to replace the microphone, I'm just going to take it to the local ubreakifix and see what they say about it. Their rear camera replacement service is $99. It's cheaper to spend $99 rather than buy a new phone I guess. While they are in there, maybe I'll just have them replace the battery also.

My ancient Nexus 6 is still chugging along and even after all these years the battery life is still phenomenal. I recently changed carriers and wanted to go with Verizon but nope "Your phone is not compatible with our system but we'll be happy to sell you a new one". Told the dude to dream on and walked out. Went with T-Mobile and all is well.

Yes, you just download the google apps from the play store and then set them as default. Pretty easy actually. I had an S8 for a while and that's what I did. Thinking about trying out the S10e.

Good to know. On my older phones that wasn't an option. The Google store said I didn't have the right type of device or something that that effect. I'm guessing you can't straight-up replace or uninstall anything from Samsung can you? Does it still have its own store required for updated the bundled stuff?

Good to know. On my older phones that wasn't an option. The Google store said I didn't have the right type of device or something that that effect. I'm guessing you can't straight-up replace or uninstall anything from Samsung can you? Does it still have its own store required for updated the bundled stuff?

Yes, there's it's own Samsung store that updates its apps, and I don't remember being able to uninstall Samsung base apps.

My USB-C port is almost completely dead. I've been using the Pixel Stand to charge it but when I try to plug it into my car for Android Auto, I get spotty connectivity at best. Highly annoying. Tried using other cables and the wall charger and the phone barely even charges without holding the cable in a certain position.

Very disappointing. I am looking for alternatives as well but nothing is really appealing to me - still hate the Samsung bloat. I may just wait until the first real generation of 5G phones and buy something then.

I unlocked it and put the international software on. I've never even seen the software

Yes, there's it's own Samsung store that updates its apps, and I don't remember being able to uninstall Samsung base apps.

Blech. I can't win. At this point I guess I'm looking at LG or maybe OnePlus if something happens to my Pixel 2 in the next 9 months. I'm just not dealing with that kind of bloated nonsense.

Samsung phones are pretty clean these days and you can uninstall most of their apps. You can replace the dialer if you so wish. like %90 (don't quote me on that number lol) of samsung apps are just on the google play store now, they just happen to come pre loaded.

Well, I just got back from the Google recommended uBreakiFix store near me. They kept my Pixel 3 for the better part of 6 hours and couldn't figure out how to fix it. They replaced the camera module and that didn't fix the problem. They believe it has something to do with motherboard and suggested I contact Google again and press them for a replacement device even though it is out of warranty.

Total cost to me for a breakdown of my device and to determine there are no hardware issues: $0.00

Since then, I took the device home and flashed the OG firmware from Sept. 2018 on it (Android 9) and it didn't make a difference. Same camera problems.

Contacted Google...they pretty much told me I'm SOL unless I want to send it in for diagnostics at which point they would advise me what the cost would be. Since uBreakiFix told me it's a likely motherboard issue, I'm not going to do that. I ended up just trading it in toward a Pixel 3a. Obviously a downgrade, but at least I'll get a working camera and a full year of warranty now.

Last edited:
Back