Google Pixel 3

Lite looks good. Taking some swings at one plus and a few others in the price range. Love my 5T minus the nagging blueBluet issues. I have had 2 devices it would refuse to pair with. It's the only phone that has had such issues lol.

Wife just broke her Pixel XL. Thinking about having myself a Pixel 3 XL and giving her my Pixel 2 XL. What is the best deal to buy a Pixel 3 XL this week? I am on TMobile.

A potential leak for a Google Pixel 3 Lite has surfaced.

- 5.56" IPS 2220x1080 Screen
- Snapdragon 670
- 4GB of RAM
- 2915mAh Battery
- Same 12MP Rear Camera & 8MP Front Camera as on the Pixel 3
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack

If this is priced right, preferably around $400-500, then this will be an amazing phone and I will purchase it to replace my Essential Phone. Only downside I've read is that it has 32GB internal storage with no expandable microSD slot. But maybe they'll have a 64GB option?
At that price range? I don't think so.

A potential leak for a Google Pixel 3 Lite has surfaced.

- 5.56" IPS 2220x1080 Screen
- Snapdragon 670
- 4GB of RAM
- 2915mAh Battery
- Same 12MP Rear Camera & 8MP Front Camera as on the Pixel 3
- 3.5mm Headphone Jack

If this is priced right, preferably around $400-500, then this will be an amazing phone and I will purchase it to replace my Essential Phone. Only downside I've read is that it has 32GB internal storage with no expandable microSD slot. But maybe they'll have a 64GB option?

I think it will be closer to the $550-600 range unfortunately.

I think it will be closer to the $550-600 range unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm guessing $600 minimum. Which would be funny considering they're still selling the Pixel 2 at $650 and I don't know who dafuq would buy that at its original MSRP still if this phone exists for any cheaper. They'll either have to stop selling the Pixel 2 phones or look even more confused about how to keep all Pixel phones grossly overpriced at the same time.

Apparent photos from the Pixel 3 Lite.

Yeah, I'm guessing $600 minimum. Which would be funny considering they're still selling the Pixel 2 at $650 and I don't know who dafuq would buy that at its original MSRP still if this phone exists for any cheaper. They'll either have to stop selling the Pixel 2 phones or look even more confused about how to keep all Pixel phones grossly overpriced at the same time.

I still think/hope it’ll be around $500, and $400 on promos. Everything about the phone is a step down from the flagships (including the Pixel 2) except for the camera, the RAM, and the addition of the headphone jack. The 3 Lite isn’t expected to come out until Q1 2019 so by then they may just stop selling previous generation Pixel devices and move to having new midrange phones.

At $600 it’ll be yet another overpriced phone.

Last edited:

I still think/hope it’ll be around $500, and $400 on promos. Everything about the phone is a step down from the flagships (including the Pixel 2) except for the camera, the RAM, and the addition of the headphone jack. The 3 Lite isn’t expected to come out until Q1 2019 so by then they may just stop selling previous generation Pixel devices and move to having new midrange phones.

I mean, the Russian leak site is saying $400-500 and supposedly they have been pretty accurate. But at that price, I wonder how the 670 does against last years 835. You can get a Pixel 2 on Fleabay for well under $400 if you shop around.

The 670 isn't too far off from the 835.

It's 2xA75+6xA55 vs 4xA73+4xA53. It'll definitely be more power efficient despite the small top performance drop.

The 670 isn't too far off from the 835.

It's 2xA75+6xA55 vs 4xA73+4xA53. It'll definitely be more power efficient despite the small top performance drop.

I also heard that there might be another "lite" pixel with the 710 chipset (3XL Lite?)

It seems comparable to the Pixel 2 at least, not really a step down since the 670 has 2 cores from the 845 and a comparable GPU as well, all while being on a newer fab process and being considerably more power efficient. Display is the same res, just not AMOLED, which the Pixel 2's AMOLED was good but nothing exceptional so this IPS could definitely be comparable, esp in terms of brightness. Plus I would hope this would still get 3 years of updates from the time it released, giving it an extra year an a half over the Pixel 2.

I mean, any rational company would price this phone at $500 or so at most, but it seems to me that Google is too adamant on artificially inflating pricing on any Pixel branded device just to seem competitive to Apple in terms of pricing. I hope I'm wrong, but the Pixel C (from 3 years ago) has been the only device so far to launch at under $600, with the Slate starting at $600 and the previous Pixel phones starting at $650.

So I see them launching this at $550 at the cheapest and probably $600-$650 is more likely given that they'll probably pull the Pixel 2s down by the time this launches and the cheapest Pixel otherwise will be the $800 Pixel 3.

Is it a $400 credit over the course of a 24 month "contract"?

They always are. Requires activation on Verizon.

From the ad:

The only catch is that you have to activate with Verizon and sign-up for a device payment plan. But with the massive reduction in overall price, the monthly payments should be pretty low.

With the BOGO 50% off deal, there should be a service that helps people find folks to split the bill and shipping.

But then your stuck, no bootloader unlock, no root. Means no Subtratum themes, no full system ad blockers, no kernel tweaks.

Do you still need root to use Substratum theme? I installed the rootless substratum/andromada/swift black on my Verizon Note 9 just fine yesterday.

Do you still need root to use Substratum theme? I installed the rootless substratum/andromada/swift black on my Verizon Note 9 just fine yesterday.

I don't think that rootless Andromeda works on Pie. As far as I know you need to be rooted to use themes on Pixel's .

But I would also like to know if you can install themes with that rootless app, that would be cool.

The overlay support thing (without root) is only for Android 8, and if I recall correctly the latest version of 8 patched the support out too.

As much as I like this phone, I am wishing I had waited for one of the honkin deals (Google store 400-450 off the second is coming up) or taken the original buy one get one free through fi and just paid the ~200 over two years for a third line or rented it out etc.

Still, no ragerts. If I had a pixel 2 I probably wouldn't have updated, but from og it was certainly worth full price to me. Especially considering I probably would have second guessed the decision if I waited and listened to/over valued some of the lesser-level reviews and just waited another year.

But then your stuck, no bootloader unlock, no root. Means no Subtratum themes, no full system ad blockers, no kernel tweaks.

This may be a dumb question as I haven't modified a phone ever, but why would a contract prevent you from rooting?

I'll be getting one tomorrow most likely as Pixel 3 is $400 off in Canada and only $250 up front with no financing on a 2 year contract. I think that's a decent deal.

I'm jumping on the $400 off Verizon deal. Upgrading from my pixel 1 to a 3. Have never rooted, don't care about locked bootloader, and have been with Verizon 15+ years so device credits work great for me. Makes the phone much more reasonable now at that price.

You can essentially get a Pixel 3 XL 128GB (regularly $1000) today for $630 + tax at Best Buy today and tomorrow.

Here are the basic steps:
1. Get the phone today with any Verizon plan at Best Buy (B&M) for $0 down.
2. Call Verizon to activate ($30). If you're sticking with Verizon, you can stop here at this step.
3. Immediately pay off the phone in full ($600 + tax)
4. Ask Verizon to unlock the phone. Now the phone is yours to use on at whichever carrier of your choosing.

I haven't decided yet. Please try harder to convince me that the iPhone XR is a mistake!

It's too bad I just got the Note 9 on previous BB deal or I woulda jump on this too. Didn't want to pay 1k for the pixel 3 XL while could get the 512 GB Note 9 for $650 Sigh.

Ordered my 3XL from Google this morning. $800 for the 128GB. Already shipped, too. Google's got people working on Thanksgiving, I guess.

I picked up the Pixel 3 today, it will be interesting having stock android after dealing with Samsung's version for the last two years.

The Verizon/Best Buy versions are bootloader locked, and can't be rooted. The ones straight from Google have an unlocked bootloader.

Thanks, I wonder if my Canadian one is bootloader locked. I'll have to look into it.

I'm excited and happy to see all of you soon to be new Pixel 3 owners. Hope you enjoy this phone as much as I do.

Recommendation, Samsung Internet Browser. This browser rocks on stock Google, so smooth, and sorta like Safari

One basic things I love on the Pixel phones, is the Google Now feed on the left screen, or whatever they call it now?

You can customize it to the news, sports, tech stuff you like.

Ironically the unlocked version also came with OEM unlocking options greyed out on some devices. People are raising a hell over Google. I am returning mine due to this issue and will probably grab another one before the BF deal is over.

BTW for any potential owners, get Google device from Google Store if you can or if there is not much of a price difference. Unlike Apple, Google only provides good(?) support to the devices ordered directly from Google store. This has saved me a lot of hassles in the past. Enjoyed much easier RMA and warranty claims, even earned me a Pixel XL replacement for my Nexus 6P as part of the Nexus 6P battery issue.

Just bricked my Pixel 3 XL trying to install TWRP Recovery. Was rooted all this time, just fine. I get so frustrated with rooting, etc... Wasted a couple hours figuring it out how to get it back up and running. Think I'm done doing that from now on.

First stock Google phone I bought was the Nexus-One, and I waited in line first day the Nexus-S came out. Since have owned the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, the Pixel 2 XL, and now Pixel 3 XL.

This old phones, or even OnePlus phones are a hell of a lot easier to root and tinker with compared to a Pixel with it's dual partitions and stuff.

Used to root and ROM them all, except stopped with the Pixel 2 XL as I found stock to be really good for once. I did root it at first, but found the monthly updates to be a pain in the ass to install when rooted. So I went back to stock, and honestly could barely tell the difference, as stock was that good on the 2 XL.

Saying that, maybe best I just remain stock now again. Really don't have the time to waste tinkering away on my phone. I just want smooth stock vanilla Android running smooth as butter with the latest updates and zero hassle. Only reason I rooted it was for ad blocking and the themes.

But now that I'm stock again, i find Blokada pretty good ad blocking now. And will be a lot easier and hassle-free getting the monthly updates when not rooted.

But I do miss those black themes.

Last edited:
Just bricked my Pixel 3 XL trying to install TWRP Recovery. Was rooted all this time, just fine. I get so frustrated with rooting, etc... Wasted a couple hours figuring it out how to get it back up and running. Think I'm done doing that from now on.

First stock Google phone I bought was the Nexus-One, and I waited in line first day the Nexus-S came out. Since have owned the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, the Pixel 2 XL, and now Pixel 3 XL.

Used to root and ROM them all, except stopped with the Pixel 2 XL as I found stock to be really good for once. I did root it at first, but found the monthly updates to be a pain in the ass to install when rooted. So I went back to stock for most the time having that phone, and honestly could barely tell the difference, as stock was that good.

Saying that, maybe best I just remain stock now again. Really don't have the time to to waste tinkering away on my phone. I just want smooth stock vanilla Android running smooth as butter with the latest updates and zero hassle.

Only reason I rooted it was for ad blocking and the themes that was pretty good ad blocking now being on stock and it's a lot easier and hassle-free getting the monthly updates when you're not rooted

I rooted every phone I've had, usually to get rid of carrier garbage. I did custom roms a few times but always ended up going back to stock rooted and using Titanium Backup to freeze the garbage apps that couldn't be uninstalled.
The og Pixel was the first phone I've had that I genuinely saw no good reason to root. The only tiny contender would be root file access to clean up some protected folders, but nothing necessary by any means. Theming was never really anything I got into.
Since it seemed like 4-5 years ago there was pretty much no root without TWRP or the other one, or no easy way to get it back to a stock OTA updateable rooted condition, I just bailed.
As much as there are little neat things you can do, being able to trust the phone does everything correctly (or as correctly as able) is just more desirable to me. I never even really considered it with the 3. And mainly for your reason above. Nothing shittier than spending a whole afternoon trying to unfuck your phone over something you voluntarily did to it for primarily novelty features. :(

It's a damn good phone. I have had a few of the ram issues with fb etc reloading (or seeming to), so I look forward to a fix for that, but compared to the shit I put up with with Samsungs fuckery or Motorolas app compatibility issues etc (got to shout out htc for their minimal bs, though I still rooted them too), I'm as happy or happier than I was with the og Pixel two years ago.

I had to have root for a gesture app that enables me to swipe on the edge to turn off the screen among others. For update I just use flash-all removing "-w" and re-root afterwards. Hey we're on Hardforum, we shouldn't feel bothered by using PC to support mobile devices right? :sneaky:

Another reason I prefer flashing a whole factory image over OTA is that I found every time after a flash, even without data wipe, the phone feels snappier with minor bugs ironed out here and there. So when I feel lazy, I don't upgrade at all, while in some other months when I have an hour of free time I don't know what to do, I dedicate that time to flashing, it's enough to keep me less than rusty lol

Got my 3 XL today. All set up and working perfectly. I think Black Friday - Cyber Monday is the new phone purchase window for me from now on. All the flagships are released/reviewed by then and price discounts kick in for the holiday shopping season. :)

Got my 3 XL today. All set up and working perfectly. I think Black Friday - Cyber Monday is the new phone purchase window for me from now on. All the flagships are released/reviewed by then and price discounts kick in for the holiday shopping season. :)
Google makes a strong case for no one to ever buy a Pixel at launch again

Yup. Wait a month or two and you’ll get the phone for a large discount and most of the issues will be resolved by then as well.

What do Pixel owners think about leaving a 3/3XL on a wireless charging stand for several hours after the phone is fully charged? From what I've read, it could be bad, could be fine, or could not matter... but, that depends. Any thoughts?

Back