Game of Thrones Is the Most Pirated Show on TV

I started reading the books back in the late 90s. The TV series is a sore disappointment to a fanboy like myself.

S2 vs Book 2 are vastly different (and man oh man did the budget go down compared to S1), but it is nice to watch the show after reading, much easier to memorize the characters. I think S3 will diverge enough that it'll be it's own entity, along the lines of Walking Dead vs it's original comic series' roots.

If HBO would sell the boxed set at a reasonable time frame, they'd have less pirating. Maybe not by much, but every little bit helps. Sorry fuckers are slower than molasses in January:mad:.

I saw one early episode at a hotel and thought it was great... I decided then I'd just wait until the entire production is over and then consider forking over cash to watch it all. I do hope they make it and keep the quality consistent... it really rocked from the little I saw... I just can't afford something lame happening like with Lost... I've better things to do with my time then be set up for disappointment.

If HBO would sell the boxed set at a reasonable time frame, they'd have less pirating. Maybe not by much, but every little bit helps. Sorry fuckers are slower than molasses in January:mad:.

HBO is making a mint doing this show. Highest amount of subscribers in years because of Game of Thrones as well.

I know people who actually renew their HBO sub just for the 10 episodes of Game of Thrones. Piracy will not be effecting this show the way it could something with a much smaller viewership. HBO is making a mint selling it on Blu Ray , selling merchandising and despite the high cost of production season 4 has already been confirmed.

Whenever someone or some place wants to point a finger at piracy and say "this show" or "that show" is the most pirated blah blah I'm reminded of the fact that a network like HBO doesn't cancel series based on how pirated it is. They instead often cancel a series because of the high cost of producing a scripted and well dressed TV show. Reality TV is the ultimate cash in right now. You only need about 5 or 6 actual crew , no script , generic TV host (Hello Jeff Probst) and a setting (hello mansion/island/resort/whatever) and you win.

I'm so glad networks like HBO are around to prove that scripted TV is still the VASTLY superior product. Fuck reality TV.

When I see someone complain about books vs show, i wonder if they realize the author is actually consulting and signing off on any and even coming up with some of the changes. Regardless of how you feel about HBO, they aren't even complaining about the pirating and in this case, just like some of their other series, this is absolutely a quality production.

If they offered up each episode in MKV format with high quality audio at the same time or shortly after the episode aired, I'd pay $1.00 an episode easy. Maybe more. I don't want to subscribe to HBO, I don't want to own a disc.

If they offered up each episode in MKV format with high quality audio at the same time or shortly after the episode aired, I'd pay $1.00 an episode easy. Maybe more. I don't want to subscribe to HBO, I don't want to own a disc.

LOL and i want a unicorn that shits rainbows.

HBO to go standalone sub for 14.99 a month would fix all of this.

It's more like $2-3 an episode to buy it on iTunes when they finally come out.

To me Vikings is...okay. What I'm surprised about from the History channel deciding to show it, is that, historically, it's very inaccurate. Horribly so. It's about entertainment though and using a certain formula, which Vikings seems to be doing.

Because the junk History has been shoveling out lately is historically accurate. In most cases it isn't even history.

Things that aren't History related:
Ax Men
Big Rig Bounty Hunters
Counting Cars
Swamp people
Top gear

Things that are loosely history related:
American Pickers
American Restoration

Things that are WTF:
Ancient Aliens

So compared to these I'd say Vikings is Historically accurate just like the movie 300.

Maybe when UNICEF lands the rights to the Game of Thrones license, this'll happen. Until that time, however, HBO will continue to want to make money.

Wow a whole dollar, very generous of you warren buffett

This is why I only order hbo when game of thrones airs. I order it at a discounted price of 6-9 dollars a month, where its a 6 months deal. When the season ends I cancel it. I love the show and no I haven't read the books because I don't wanna be disappointed or compare it to the book every time I watch it.

I don't know why people are complaining. If you don't have HBO, call them and they always have these deals for half the price for the first six months and cancel it when the show ends and there is no contract you sign, you can cancel it anytime before six months. If you are telling me you absolutely love this show and you cant pay 8 dollars a month if you could for hbo for 3 months, I think people should really stop bitching about HBO subscription.

Doesn't seem unreasonable.

There are 10 episodes per season. That's $10 per season.

HBO has 25 current series.

If they were to charge $10 per series per season each, that's $250 per year.

In some areas HBO is available for $15 per month. That's $180 per year.

$1 per episode seems like a very reasonable price to pay IMHO.

I don't know why people are complaining. If you don't have HBO, call them and they always have these deals for half the price for the first six months and cancel it when the show ends and there is no contract you sign, you can cancel it anytime before six months. If you are telling me you absolutely love this show and you cant pay 8 dollars a month if you could for hbo for 3 months, I think people should really stop bitching about HBO subscription.

I think we're bitching because you have to sign up for a tv service to get HBO.

I think we're bitching because you have to sign up for a tv service to get HBO.

Then wait for it to come out on DVD? If you don't want to pay for cable/HBO that's fine but to legally get the show you will have to wait for it to come out on DVD. I don't see how some people find that so unreasonable.

You can actually watch the show, you just have to wait a little longer.

This is the first year that I've actually had to pay to watch the show. For prior seasons, I ended up getting like 6 months of HBO for free due to some complaint I had about the service. This year, I didn't actually have anything to complain about with my service (for once). When I called, I was offered the deal you mentioned: 1/2 price for 6 months--which is apparently $6/mo for me. I figure since the seasons are 10 episodes, I'll have to pay for 3 months of HBO. At a grand total of $18, that comes out to $1.80 per episode (also recorded on my DVR). I can't really complain about that.

well that's what studio's get for making protectionist deals with TV station's & Cinema that are probably locked in for a few good years yet.

TV & Cinema's exclusivity deals made pirates so don't blame us, those deals were always about benefiting the company never the studios they just loose revenue in markets they can't touch because of deals with the devil.

Zarathustra[H];1039777478 said:
Doesn't seem unreasonable.

There are 10 episodes per season. That's $10 per season.

HBO has 25 current series.

If they were to charge $10 per series per season each, that's $250 per year.

In some areas HBO is available for $15 per month. That's $180 per year.

$1 per episode seems like a very reasonable price to pay IMHO.
I'd be surprised if anyone watches more than a couple of series, so a more fair price would probably be 2 or 3 times that. It's like buying a box of 10 movies for the price of 4 where there's actually only 2 or 3 movies in it you want to see :D

I'd be surprised if anyone watches more than a couple of series, so a more fair price would probably be 2 or 3 times that. It's like buying a box of 10 movies for the price of 4 where there's actually only 2 or 3 movies in it you want to see :D

True, but if they sold each series separately over the internet, they'd probably also increase volume dramatically. I bet they'd actually make more money this way...

I only like the the opening music theme.

HBO knew what it was doing for the premiere. They gave a lot of free weekends for it. This weeks episode you will see a lot more pirating.

Huh, you guys watch tv actually? :eek:

IMHO, there is a difference between watching TV and watching some shows.

I haven't sat down and channel surfed in many many years.

I do - however - occasionally get hooked on some show I find on Netflix.

I don't even own a TV or have a cable subscriptions currently.

I feel most people who are into shows on here do something similar.

LOL and i want a unicorn that shits rainbows.

That's a strange thing to want.

It's more like $2-3 an episode to buy it on iTunes when they finally come out.

Which is way too much when you can buy the Blu Ray series for $40.00 or less on sale

See above, the Blu Ray series costs $40ish dollars and I own the discs or I could subscribe for what, $15.00 a month (some in this thread say you can get it for less) and get 24/7 programing on what 4 channels? What's the value of 10 episodes of a single TV show? $10-$15 of digital content seems fair to me.

Which is way too much when you can buy the Blu Ray series for $40.00 or less on sale
So the bluray is $4 an episode, why wouldn't a HD digital download be worth $2-3?

The iTunes season 3 pass is $34 in Australia. So about $3.4 an episode, but that's Australian pricing (which can occasionally be cheaper than US pricing, usually not though).

See above, the Blu Ray series costs $40ish dollars and I own the discs or I could subscribe for what, $15.00 a month (some in this thread say you can get it for less) and get 24/7 programing on what 4 channels? What's the value of 10 episodes of a single TV show? $10-$15 of digital content seems fair to me.
Like I said earlier, it's basically like buying a box of movies where only a couple of them are worth actually watching. If for $15 you get 24/7 on 4 channels, you can guarantee there's only going to be a couple of hours a week actually worth watching, and then you don't actually need a cable subscription to start with? I'm sure that subsidises the cost of the individual packages to some extent.

$1 an episode would be below what the show is worth compared to other similar products IMO.

So the bluray is $4 an episode, why wouldn't a HD digital download be worth $2-3?

Because you don't get the packaging, extras, the physical media itself, they would be selling direct to consumers so no shipping costs, no retail markup, no costs in actually creating the packaging or extras.

I'll buy it when it hits $24.99 per season on blu ray. I will not pay for subscription services like that. For now, I just tell my friends to shut their holes about season 3 until I can watch it.

Because you don't get the packaging, extras, the physical media itself, they would be selling direct to consumers so no shipping costs, no retail markup, no costs in actually creating the packaging or extras.

Since fucking when has any of that actually mattered????? All those costs you mentioned = profit in the pocket of whoever sells the shit not savings for the consumer. Digital media has cost the same as physical since day flipping one. :rolleyes:

All those savings have never been seen by the consumer and never will be. Unless you have been asleep since the 90s you should know better.

Exactly.

Retail outlets alone mark these things up about 100%, then factor in packaging, extras, physical media, etc. etc, and the value of the actual content is probably less than a quarter of what it costs as a blu-ray.

If you can bypass physical retail outlets that is HUGE. They are terribly inefficient, get huge markups and on top of that want sweetheart deals in order to place your product on end stands or in other high traffic areas, and move it, etc. Not to mention the deals they get where they return all unsold copies and returns to the manufacturer without any cost to them.

You also don't have to press discs, design packaging etc. etc...

Come to think of it a quarter of the retail price is probably kind of high for the actual sale value of the content.

Interesting. I never knew The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones were reality shows. I guess I need to get out more and see all of these zombies and dragons out there in the real world.

Game of thrones, no...

but Walking Dead?

Yea--that's definitely more reality show than zombie show.

Goes like this: Drama Drama Drama Zombie, Drama Drama Zombie Drama Drama Drama Drama

Back