Game of Thrones Is the Most Pirated Show on TV

Copying something YOU OWN. The key word to ownership is something you paid for is not stealing.

Lobbyists can disagree all they want the current issue of selling on the second hand market was just shot down so we can see how far the case of copying something you own would go.

Only one problem with that line of reasoning.

When you buy a DVD/BluRay/CD/Whatever you own the case and the physical media.

You DON'T own the content, artwork, etc.

You own a limited license that allows you to replay the content on the disc for your own personal uses, but you do not now, nor have you ever in the history of U.S. law, ever since they started selling movies on Betamax in 1975 or even before, owned the content included on the media you bought.

Tell that to the people arrested for distribution. Why go after the little guys? A lot of states have the same measures with certain drugs. The usage is a misdemeanor fine, but the distribution can be jailed.

I'm not quite sure how that works.

I'm thinking it must be a misapplication of law, that just hasn't been sufficiently challenged yet.

Zarathustra[H];1039783645 said:
Only one problem with that line of reasoning.

When you buy a DVD/BluRay/CD/Whatever you own the case and the physical media.

You DON'T own the content, artwork, etc.

You own a limited license that allows you to replay the content on the disc for your own personal uses, but you do not now, nor have you ever in the history of U.S. law, ever since they started selling movies on Betamax in 1975 or even before, owned the content included on the media you bought.

Also, to further add to this, up until DMCA was signed into law in 1998, under fair use it was pretty much legal for people to make copies of content they owned a replay license to, for their own personal use (backup's, dubbing to a different format, etc. etc.)

In 1998, DMCA made it illegal to break the encryption the content was protected with. So now, you can still legally make your own backup, unless the source is encrypted (like all DVD's and BluRays, and some CD's, particularly released by Sony Music in the late 90s/early 2000's are).

If the source is encrypted, any action taken to try to decrypt the source (like DeCSS, etc.) is a criminal offense, regardless of the purpose for doing so.

Zarathustra[H];1039783649 said:
I'm not quite sure how that works.

I'm thinking it must be a misapplication of law, that just hasn't been sufficiently challenged yet.

This is also particularly unfortunate when services are now forced to police their open services to make sure that all content is legal.

It bothers the hell out of me when takedown notices and lawsuits are filed against legitimate services. The content holders should be forced to act against the individuals sharing instead, as they are the ones making the conscious decision to infringe on the copyright.

Take Google as an example. The fact that they are being forced to remove crawled results from their search engine is ludicrous. Its a dumb (well, not THAT dumb, but still) simple crawler, that just checks out the web and reports what it finds. Its like a mapping service.

Would we hold a map making company criminally liable if it happened to note where a criminal organization could be found on it? No, that would be stupid. Instead we would thank the map company for finding it for us, and then send the police to the location they found.

The logic and reasoning out of the lobby protecting film and music content owners is absolutely insane. It's really just twisted logic to suit their own needs.

Suing a service provider because users on their network pirate content, is the internet equivalent of suing the factory that makes screwdrivers because someone used a screwdriver to break into your house...

IMHO the RIAA and the MPAA are the real criminals here, much worse than the file sharers they are going after.

This board has a multiquote feature. No need to pad your postcount.

This board has a multiquote feature. No need to pad your postcount.

It may have a multiquote feature (or you can do it manually) but the news section does not have an edit feature, so if you see, or think of something you didn't before you hit the magic "submit reply" button you don't have a choice but to post again :p

Besides, what postcount? I haven't seen a postcount displayed on the Hardforums in over a decade. I believe Kyle removed it in the early years to combat rampant "postcount++" type posts, which seems to have at least partially worked.

Zarathustra[H];1039783741 said:
Besides, what postcount? I haven't seen a postcount displayed on the Hardforums in over a decade. I believe Kyle removed it in the early years to combat rampant "postcount++" type posts, which seems to have at least partially worked.

Zarathustra[H]

Date of Birth
January 18, 1980 (33)
Total Posts
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Last Activity: Today 06:57 PM
Current Activity: Viewing User Control Panel
Referrals: 0

Zarathustra[H]

Date of Birth
January 18, 1980 (33)
Total Posts
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Last Activity: Today 06:57 PM
Current Activity: Viewing User Control Panel
Referrals: 0

Ahh, still visible in the profile apparently...

It used to be right below your name next to every post as I recall.

That was ~12 years ago though, so the memory is vague.

Either way, who cares. Post count means nothing.

(It's years active that's the most important, obviously :p )

There is no way cable bills are 260 a month unless you are getting internet service over 25 mbs and you are getting phone with every cable package.

And if you are paying 260 a month just to get access to HBO and bitching about it then it sounds like you need to make some sacrifices.

I would love to drive a BMW to work instead of a Ford but that doesn't mean I am about to spend 500 dollars a month on a car payment for a BMW even if I can afford it.

Pretty close to what I used to pay in DC/Baltimore area w/ Comcast (2007 maybe? forget now).

$130ish TV (cable + hbo/cinemax (combo, couldn't get 1 w/o the other) - dropping HBO only saved $9.99)
$70ish internet access
$20 (2 cable tv box rentals)
$10 (1 cable modem rental - couldn't bring your own yet)
$taxes + $miscsurcharges

No fios, no dsl, no other tv providers.

Pretty close to what I used to pay in DC/Baltimore area w/ Comcast (2007 maybe? forget now).

$130ish TV (cable + hbo/cinemax (combo, couldn't get 1 w/o the other) - dropping HBO only saved $9.99)
$70ish internet access
$taxes + $miscsurcharges

I really find this hard to believe. We pay about $130 a month for hd cable with hbo and whichever pay channel Dexter is on and a 20 meg internet connection. Been the same for about 5 years now.

I really find this hard to believe. We pay about $130 a month for hd cable with hbo and whichever pay channel Dexter is on and a 20 meg internet connection. Been the same for about 5 years now.

Mine is a little over $200 a month for just cable and internet. I only have HBO.

My actual "Cable" fee is about $80, but then they get you for DVR service, STB, HD technology fee (multiple active outlets in the house), etc and it ends up being $130+ just for cable. Add in another $60ish for internet and it gets above $200. In my case the few shows we watch in my household are on HBO or channels that are only offered through the "Digital Preferred" packages.

In some cases it comes down to what is available, in my area we have a local mom and pop cable/internet/phone company and Comcast. The local company has serious droppage issues with their cable (IPTV) and limited channels, however they did have stupid fast Fiber internet. I used them for the first 3 or so years I lived in my house and was uncapped on speed for a long time. However connecting, especially on Friday evenings and weekends was a crap shoot. So I switched to Comcast, costs about $20 more a month, but I have not dropped a connection or had a download speed below 45Mb since.

Never heard of that and not quite sure why people are adding their internet and phone bills into their "HBO" costs.

Never heard of that and not quite sure why people are adding their internet and phone bills into their "HBO" costs.

Because to get HBO you have to go through basic cable. Right now, several vendors have these triple packages (TV, Internet, Phone) that are just as cheap as getting Internet-TV only, hence the phone portion.

Because to get HBO you have to go through basic cable. Right now, several vendors have these triple packages (TV, Internet, Phone) that are just as cheap as getting Internet-TV only, hence the phone portion.

No, they are just as cheap for X amount of months. The plans are designed to lure in morons and it works.

And for the record

ZSYlMwY.png

How some of you are claiming to have the same services and paying double what i do is pretty damn odd to say the least. No im not in some special contract, had the same services for about 5 years now and thats only because we dropped phone service.

No, they are just as cheap for X amount of months. The plans are designed to lure in morons and it works.

How some of you are claiming to have the same services and paying double what i do is pretty damn odd to say the least. No im not in some special contract, had the same services for about 5 years now and thats only because we dropped phone service.

FiOS offers non contract prices as well however they are $10-15 more a month, but almost all major providers use contracts for X amount of months, yes. Why are they morons for getting the package though? I renewed with a contract for 2 years for TV-Internet for $79.99. With boxes, fees, and taxes it runs up to what you're paying. Now, had I not done something and just continued to run month to month, I would have been paying closer to $170 a month. I saved about $50 a month there.

Clearly that means you can include the cost of basic cable with the HBO subscription. But if you're getting a package deal to get some other services cheaper you can't count those as part of the HBO cost.

If someone asked you how much your long-distance phone bill was it would make sense to say well it costs more than the $15 dollar extra surcharge over and above my basic phone service of $45. So it costs me roughly $60 dollars for the privilege of having long-distance phone service to my house. But if you told people that it costs you $200 dollars (because you were then adding in cable internet, basic cable, and HBO) then you'd be misrepresenting the cost.

Obviously it doesn't cost you $200 to have HBO, $200 for phone service, and $200 for cable internet but that's how people are trying to describe it in this thread when complaining about the cost of HBO.

the cost is ridiculous... don't forget electricity, shelter and food... damn those greedy bastards!!!!

What company charges for HD?

Comcast if you want anything besides the "basic" HD Channels (NBC, CBS etc). If you want SyFy or Science HD or something along those lines you have to pay for an upgraded package.

$70ish internet access
$taxes + $miscsurcharges

Yea you are paying around 170 after taxes and fees. Not 260. Over 200 is with internet included.

Back