Fallout 4

talk to this, talk to that, talk to this and talk to that, quests quests and quests, omg! :D

Does Red Rocket ever get attacked? I gutted the place except for the crafting stations and am using it as my defacto "base" right now. I've got a pile of crafting mats in crates and a couple of suits of power armor sitting around, so that would suck if it got ransacked. Guess I'll have to put in some turrets just in case.

Take the cores out of the power armor, and no one will take them.

Does Red Rocket ever get attacked? I gutted the place except for the crafting stations and am using it as my defacto "base" right now. I've got a pile of crafting mats in crates and a couple of suits of power armor sitting around, so that would suck if it got ransacked. Guess I'll have to put in some turrets just in case.

ransacking never happens in the game unless it was a scripted quest line. so there is nothing to worry about.

i also use the Red Rocket gas station as my main base. it does get attacked but i have most of my companions there with max mod weapons and laser and missile turrets to protect it.

Is there a known problem for immediately crashing to desktop after launch?

R9 280. Windows 10.

After hitting Play in the launcher, the screen will go black for a couple seconds, flicker a bit, then I'm back at desktop. Sometimes it will launch successfully, maybe 1 out of every 20 tries.

I've tried 11.7 and 11.15. I've tried various graphical settings and windowed mode. Nothing seems to improve that random 1 out of every 20 tries.

I also have an Nvidia machine which launches much more consistently.

Thanks.

R9 280. Windows 10.

After hitting Play in the launcher, the screen will go black for a couple seconds, flicker a bit, then I'm back at desktop. Sometimes it will launch successfully, maybe 1 out of every 20 tries.

I've tried 11.7 and 11.15. I've tried various graphical settings and windowed mode. Nothing seems to improve that random 1 out of every 20 tries.

Thanks.

nope, i got a R9 290 with windows 7.

Lol, some raider probably hopped in it at some point.

Lmao, you serious??? They actually do that?
I have that place built like a fortress, how in the hell did they sneak past my like 12 turrets?
Now I'm going to double down on their pansy asses more than ever.
I'm going to decapitate every raider corpse I see and stick their limbs on each corner of my settlements as an example. Don't f*ck with the General!

Last edited:
Lmao, you serious??? They actually do that?
I have that place built like a fortress, how in the hell did they sneak past my like 12 turrets?
Now I'm going to double down on their pansy asses more than ever.

I would like to know a bit more about the raiders mechanic, did anyone do analysis of this yet?

I haven't dumped much time or effort into my town yet, but I am considering picking up local leader next level and really diving into it.

How does everyone like modifying their power armor? I finally got Armorer rank 4 and Science rank 4, and a full set of T-60 armor. So many choices, and so little adhesive.

Tesla coils on the torso for my melee character is great. Still a bit confused on how power armor changes the STR stat. My character strength was 8, in power armor with military paint it was 12. I raised my default strength to 9, strength in power armor remained 12. Took off military paint and it went down to 11, which makes me think it doesnt matter what your character strength is when in the armor?

How does everyone like modifying their power armor? I finally got Armorer rank 4 and Science rank 4, and a full set of T-60 armor. So many choices, and so little adhesive.

Tesla coils on the torso for my melee character is great. Still a bit confused on how power armor changes the STR stat. My character strength was 8, in power armor with military paint it was 12. I raised my default strength to 9, strength in power armor remained 12. Took off military paint and it went down to 11, which makes me think it doesnt matter what your character strength is when in the armor?
What about carry weight? Does that change at all too? I know it does.

I wouldn't think your own physical strength would do anything for the power armor.

I would like to know a bit more about the raiders mechanic, did anyone do analysis of this yet?

I haven't dumped much time or effort into my town yet, but I am considering picking up local leader next level and really diving into it.

It's buggy and fucked up, is my analysis. Save a lot, and make you have at least half as many turrets pointing in, as pointing out.

And people will definitely hop in your power armor and take it for a spin. I had one of mine on a rack but with the core in it and came back and it was all the way over by the gate.

What about carry weight? Does that change at all too? I know it does.

I wouldn't think your own physical strength would do anything for the power armor.

I know that whatever normal armor/clothes you have on, whatever stats they have lose effect once you jump in the power armor. Left arm with +2 luck I found does nothing when I jump in the armor. Might as well go in naked.

I modified the power armor legs so I could carry more weight, plus the extra strength, so I think you are right. All I know for sure is that I can carry around 460-470 when in the armor (11 or 12 strength when inside, two points in Strong Back, both legs modded for carry weight).

I disagree, they made it even better in this game because it doesn't stop time and only slows down time which makes you think on your feet.
I agree. I'm building my character with a focus on VATS and AP now after experiencing the improvements. On the contrary, I played through FO3 and FNV while completely avoiding VATS. I actually kind of preferred the gunplay more in those games than I do in FO4 currently.

never bothered with power armor, the suit is in red rocket. appears to get attacked fairly often but my garage door is closed :) sounds like a turret would be good though. just found out you can fail helping settlement missions if you take too long to getting to them. now I have to see how much progress I have lost. :(

So many choices, and so little adhesive.

If you need more adhesive, you can craft Vegetable Starch at a cooking station using only renewable materials (vegetables from your farm and water from your purifiers).

never bothered with power armor, the suit is in red rocket. appears to get attacked fairly often but my garage door is closed :) sounds like a turret would be good though. just found out you can fail helping settlement missions if you take too long to getting to them. now I have to see how much progress I have lost. :(

i have 8 or 9 power armor suits in sanctuary collecting dust lol

R9 280. Windows 10.

Thanks.

Launch the game, go to settings and select run in windowed mode. The settings window that pops up before the actual game launches. Once you do that try to launch the game, it will most likely work.

Close out of the game and go to my documents > my games > FAllout 4 or something like that and find the .ini file with the settings. Change your resolution to 1080 or whatever in there. That fixed the issue for me, but I don't have an ATi card

Last edited:
Question about supply lines.

If I'm allocating someone to go from sanctuary to another location,is that it? or does one person have to be allocated from each settlement for that specific supply route?
One settler on each end, to be specific.

If you need more adhesive, you can craft Vegetable Starch at a cooking station using only renewable materials (vegetables from your farm and water from your purifiers).

Dang, and here I'm all like, "So why would anyone craft vegetable starch?" Time to plant some more crops!

R9 280. Windows 10.

Thanks.

R9 280 here with the newest drivers (beta) and working fine.

I was having an issue after a while where I'd click play and the screen would go blank and I would be stuck waiting for the game to start. Then I changed to windowed mode and the issue went away. But I got tired of playing with a window so I googled how to make the full screen version work. There was a very helpful reddit page that helped me figure it out. You simply modify the .ini file a few numbers and now it starts flawlessly every time.

In 20 hours of gameplay, I've had two crash to desktop issues but luckily autosave and quick save made it so I never lost more than a few minutes of gameplay.

This game has been pretty awesome for me. 9/10 from me. Sure, I wish it played a little more smoothly. But that's what I get for wanting to run at 2560 x 1440 on a very outdated (by [H] standards) system.

Well, it is pretty similar to TXAA. Without a sharpening filter, it's still a smeary mess.

TAA with the LUMASHARPEN filter is pretty boss, though (with sharpen strength of 2.50, as mentioned in the TweakGuides guide...any more and things get shimmery in the distance). I use SMAA as well for that little extra kick of edge AA goodness and even in a scene full of swaying plants and trees it's smooth like butta.

I only used SMAA for a while but I also gave the TAA + Lumasharpen a try and damn, its really good. But holy hell 2.50 said in the guide is WAY TOO FRICKING MUCH! Textures look nice and sharp at first but there is horrid ringing around the edges of objects, especially against sky. Compared to a picture without AA even the textures (again while initially nice looking) are over sharpened to give a sense of more detail than there actually is in reality. 1.00 Lumasharpen is honestly all it needs to get rid of the vaseline smear without causing too much ringing noise though even then its still there in certain spots. Much closer to a picture without AA, just without aliasing.

BTW, about the long loading times I got some help with the Fallout 4 Configuration tool and setting the game to start in High Priority. Loading times were reduced. Also interestingly the shadow detail was an oddball resolution of 2096. Which is wierd because the medium in Launcher should be 2048. Considering the launcher also refuses to turn off godrays when needed I think it might be bugged quite a bit.

Last edited:
I only used SMAA for a while but I also gave the TAA + Lumasharpen a try and damn, its really good. But holy hell 2.50 said in the guide is WAY TOO FRICKING MUCH! Textures look nice and sharp at first but there is horrid ringing around the edges of objects, especially against sky. Compared to a picture without AA even the textures (again while initially nice looking) are over sharpened to give a sense of more detail than there actually is in reality. 1.00 Lumasharpen is honestly all it needs to get rid of the vaseline smear without causing too much ringing noise though even then its still there in certain spots. Much closer to a picture without AA, just without aliasing.

Huh, maybe it differs based on resolution. I'm at 1440p and 2.50 looks great on my setup. I haven't seen any ringing at all.

Holy shit, a lot of butt hurt people

Basically, all it took was a little bit of "Oh bad graphics, bugs and glitches, looks like Skyrim." posts and suddenly the trolls come out in full force. The rest of us are just playing and enjoying. :)

Launch the game, go to settings and select run in windowed mode. The settings window that pops up before the actual game launches. Once you do that try to launch the game, it will most likely work.

Close out of the game and go to my documents > my games > FAllout 4 or something like that and find the .ini file with the settings. Change your resolution to 1080 or whatever in there. That fixed the issue for me, but I don't have an ATi card

I think that might have worked. Thanks.

e: sigh, never mind, it's doing it again. Something to do with me changing the graphics settings. It seems like if I change something - anything - it'll work for a few times. But then it'll stop working, even if i don't change anything. Then I'll go back and Reset the settings, or move some settings around, and it'll start all over again.

Last edited:
Yeah everytime you store power armor ALWAAAYS take out it's power core so no one can get it.

Also a tip, but you could always take the power core out at a few % above 0, these you can sell for a LOT more then if it's completely drained.

Can someone tell me, is there a way to craft like power armor pieces? I have 3 suits of power armor so far that I've found but 2 of them are missing parts, one has no helmet/right leg/right arm, etc and the other is missing the helmet and a leg.

I never find just random pieces anywhere or anything. So just wondering if you ever can find just the pieces you are missing or what.

Basically, all it took was a little bit of "Oh bad graphics, bugs and glitches, looks like Skyrim." posts and suddenly the trolls come out in full force. The rest of us are just playing and enjoying. :)

I have a shitty GTX 560 and i5 2500k in my machine, and I still wouldn't put this game at anything below an 8.

Yeah everytime you store power armor ALWAAAYS take out it's power core so no one can get it.

Also a tip, but you could always take the power core out at a few % above 0, these you can sell for a LOT more then if it's completely drained.

Can someone tell me, is there a way to craft like power armor pieces? I have 3 suits of power armor so far that I've found but 2 of them are missing parts, one has no helmet/right leg/right arm, etc and the other is missing the helmet and a leg.

I never find just random pieces anywhere or anything. So just wondering if you ever can find just the pieces you are missing or what.

You can't craft them, but you can find random pieces throughout the map.

I found pieces in the first Concord encounter (but I am only at normal difficulty) ... perhaps at higher difficulties the pieces are more rare

Huh, maybe it differs based on resolution. I'm at 1440p and 2.50 looks great on my setup. I haven't seen any ringing at all.

On 1080p I see it clear as day, sort of pixel wide whitish outline on the object against the background. Actually it pretty much highlights the blurred antialiased edges the TAA originally covered. Not as as bad as Witcher 3's Sharpen filter set to high but still quite noisy.

I never liked over sharpened picture anyway and artifacts like that stick out like sore thumb to me. I dont want to add noise to my picture, only counteract the blur caused by the TAA and 2.50 (which for petes sake is almost max!) overshoots the goal by a mile.

Basically, all it took was a little bit of "Oh bad graphics, bugs and glitches, looks like Skyrim." posts and suddenly the trolls come out in full force. The rest of us are just playing and enjoying.

I dont understand what problems some people have with this game because its fricking amazing! Beats Skyrim 6-0 in my book. Not better than Witcher 3 but definetly a GOTY contender. I was originally worried about the small map size but after playing the game it actually does not feel smaller, there is still a lot to explore. There is just less empty wasteland place between them. The game really feels like you are in a ruined city with some suburban area mixed in, which is fine by book because digging around Washington D.C ruins and enjoying the moody atmosphere in FO3 was one my favourite parts.

Actually only problem I have with it is that you cant really play as truly evil character or so it seems like. Unless you want to skip something like 80% of the quests you are stuck playing a good or at best a neutral mercenary guy. Or keep roleplaying that you are only hestitantly helping people with their daily problems. No blowing up megatons or slavers (that I have found anyway) and such stuff that cements your character as a lost cause. I am now playing a good guy but I can definetly see this becoming a problem for my second playthrough.

BTW, about the long loading times I got some help with the Fallout 4 Configuration tool and setting the game to start in High Priority. Loading times were reduced. Also interestingly the shadow detail was an oddball resolution of 2096. Which is wierd because the medium in Launcher should be 2048. Considering the launcher also refuses to turn off godrays when needed I think it might be bugged quite a bit.

I am pretty sure if you use the Configuration Tool, it makes all of the ini files read-only. So then if you go to edit settings in the Launcher, it won't change.

I had this issue trying to tweak AA settings after using the Config Tool.

On 1080p I see it clear as day, sort of pixel wide whitish outline on the object against the background. Actually it pretty much highlights the blurred antialiased edges the TAA originally covered. Not as as bad as Witcher 3's Sharpen filter set to high but still quite noisy.

I never liked over sharpened picture anyway and artifacts like that stick out like sore thumb to me. I dont want to add noise to my picture, only counteract the blur caused by the TAA and 2.50 (which for petes sake is almost max!) overshoots the goal by a mile.

I dont understand what problems some people have with this game because its fricking amazing! Beats Skyrim 6-0 in my book. Not better than Witcher 3 but definetly a GOTY contender. I was originally worried about the small map size but after playing the game it actually does not feel smaller, there is still a lot to explore. There is just less empty wasteland place between them. The game really feels like you are in a ruined city with some suburban area mixed in, which is fine by book because digging around Washington D.C ruins and enjoying the moody atmosphere in FO3 was one my favourite parts.

Actually only problem I have with it is that you cant really play as truly evil character or so it seems like. Unless you want to skip something like 80% of the quests you are stuck playing a good or at best a neutral mercenary guy. Or keep roleplaying that you are only hestitantly helping people with their daily problems. No blowing up megatons or slavers (that I have found anyway) and such stuff that cements your character as a lost cause. I am now playing a good guy but I can definetly see this becoming a problem for my second playthrough.

Yeah not being evil kind of sucks. You can be a dick but not an evil dick. I love how dense the inner city of Boston feels, definitely my favorite parts of FO3 as well now except no more load screens every area! In my opinion the lighting looks fantastic and the only issue I have with the graphics is the low resolution textures. The rest of them game looks beautiful and colorful and no more shitty filters.

Works great for me. I've got exactly zero complaints so far. I was having a tearing issue, but it was due to having my bedroom TV hooked up to the HDMI port on my 970 with different scaling than my desktop monitor. Just unplugged it, and everything was spot on afterwards. (not even a problem with Fallout...) The game is fun so far, but I'm not very far along either. Looking forward to more time in it.

Works great for me. I've got exactly zero complaints so far. I was having a tearing issue, but it was due to having my bedroom TV hooked up to the HDMI port on my 970 with different scaling than my desktop monitor. Just unplugged it, and everything was spot on afterwards. (not even a problem with Fallout...) The game is fun so far, but I'm not very far along either. Looking forward to more time in it.

User metacritic is a joke. Most of the reviews are copy and pasted or just downright trolling. Most of the accounts were created simply to review Fallout 4 and type "BORING! BORING! BORING! BORING! BORING! BORING!" as their review.

I am pretty sure if you use the Configuration Tool, it makes all of the ini files read-only. So then if you go to edit settings in the Launcher, it won't change.

I had this issue trying to tweak AA settings after using the Config Tool.

No no no. Its the launcher that had set the shadow res to 2096. I originally had it on high (which i guess was 4096) but dropped it to medium. Only now at the tool I noticed that its off and fixed it. The shadow res should divide with 256, otherwise issues may rise to my knowledge. Anyway its fixed now. I just wonder what caused it, changing the shadow resolution in launcher only dropped the first number from 4 to 2. :D

Okay, here is what I'm learning. The game will crash 100% of the time unless I "Reset" the graphical settings and let it auto-detect. If I do that, and run in borderless windowed, it will launch. If I change any graphical setting though, it will start crashing.

The problem with this is that it auto-detects to Ultra, which on a 280X is pretty laughable.

Is there any way to get the game to auto-detect to lower settings or something?

No no no. Its the launcher that had set the shadow res to 2096. I originally had it on high (which i guess was 4096) but dropped it to medium. Only now at the tool I noticed that its off and fixed it. The shadow res should divide with 256, otherwise issues may rise to my knowledge. Anyway its fixed now. I just wonder what caused it, changing the shadow resolution in launcher only dropped the first number from 4 to 2. :D

I was referring more to your comment about the launcher refusing to turn off god rays.

I was referring more to your comment about the launcher refusing to turn off god rays.

Oh. My bad. :D

But anyway, regarding the shadow thing this is definetly something i have to test out later if i can repeat it or was it just a one time fluke. If not maybe it should be reported because again it could be a source of some problems.

Back