Fallout 4

Ok, this is a dumb question.

How do I directly launch the game without having to deal with the launcher every time?

I tried running fallout4.exe but that brings up the launcher as well :(

Ok, this is a dumb question.

How do I directly launch the game without having to deal with the launcher every time?

I tried running fallout4.exe but that brings up the launcher as well :(

rename fallout4.exe to fallout4launcher.exe
renane fallout4launcher.exe to fallout4.exe

Okay, here is what I'm learning. The game will crash 100% of the time unless I "Reset" the graphical settings and let it auto-detect. If I do that, and run in borderless windowed, it will launch. If I change any graphical setting though, it will start crashing.

The problem with this is that it auto-detects to Ultra, which on a 280X is pretty laughable.

Is there any way to get the game to auto-detect to lower settings or something?
I believe in the root game directory exists a default ini file that defines the settings for each graphical preset. You should be able to edit that file and just replace all the settings under the [Ultra] heading with the settings from one of the lower presets, like [Medium].

I started a new game since i didn't know what the heck i was doing on my first character. Will go back to that one, but wanted to try a few builds to see what it can do.
Practically scrapped everything in Sanctuary so far and then will try to build up a huge inventory of scrap stuff so i can build/craft without any worries of searching for parts. Probably redundant but it's something i feel like doing. :)
Still going to try an only melee-build on Survival but just doing it smarter this time.
Like people have said, i do wish you could build stuff to look like it was pre-war. (Maybe costs 2-3x more in crafting if you wanted to do it?) I think it would be fun.
No glitches, crashes as of yet though...

(Not sure if its just me, but when i was lower strength on my first character, Radroaches took 3-4 hits to kill. Now with quite a bit higher strength they die in like 1-2 hits or so it feels)

I started a new game since i didn't know what the heck i was doing on my first character. Will go back to that one, but wanted to try a few builds to see what it can do.
Practically scrapped everything in Sanctuary so far and then will try to build up a huge inventory of scrap stuff so i can build/craft without any worries of searching for parts. Probably redundant but it's something i feel like doing. :)
Still going to try an only melee-build on Survival but just doing it smarter this time.
Like people have said, i do wish you could build stuff to look like it was pre-war. (Maybe costs 2-3x more in crafting if you wanted to do it?) I think it would be fun.

(Not sure if its just me, but when i was lower strength on my first character, Radroaches took 3-4 hits to kill. Now with quite a bit higher strength they die in like 1-2 hits or so it feels)

I went 9 into Str off the bat with high Endurance. Funny is with enough str perks melee is the most OP build right now. Not sure how fire arms across the board are so weak but its rare I don't 1 or 2 shot a super mutant. Legendary Death Claw? Power Armor and my trusty Chinese Officers sword to the face! Melee weapons, grenades and sniper rifle to get the party started.

I went 9 into Str off the bat with high Endurance. Funny is with enough str perks melee is the most OP build right now. Not sure how fire arms across the board are so weak but its rare I don't 1 or 2 shot a super mutant. Legendary Death Claw? Power Armor and my trusty Chinese Officers sword to the face! Melee weapons, grenades and sniper rifle to get the party started.

Gonna try melee second playthrough on survival mode

i am pretty OP right now with silenced pistols and stealth.

Respec'd to melee. Counted out all my S.P.E.C.I.A.L. points and perks, and had to manually remove them one-by-one, then re-add them one-by-one. I'm enjoying melee a lot more. VATS & Blitz is fun. Mostly STR, AGI, LUK.

I have a shitty GTX 560 and i5 2500k in my machine, and I still wouldn't put this game at anything below an 8.

I have the same rig. Do you also crawl to 20-30 FPS in some brightly-lighted indoor areas? Outside I'm usually at 50 FPS, sometimes dips to the 40s.

If I wanted to "re-spec" right now, I'd just keep playing and shift where my future points went. One of the beauties of no level cap. At worst I'd have to stick to the lower level areas or bump the difficulty down a couple notches until I felt like I had caught up.

Hehe I just felt like spending more time on character creation actually than what i did originally.
One of my own personal rules for these types of games is no over-powered stuff the first time around and also that i try it on the hardest difficulty. So i'm not using power armor unless it's required and not lowering the difficulty at all.
May be a lot harder to win but it makes beating the game feel more like an accomplishment the first time. 2nd play through is gonna be guns, guns and MORE guns. lol
Everybody has their own way to play....:D

What's the best FPS limiter for Nvidia cards with this game?

I'm usually around 58ish but sometimes dip to low 50s, high 40s.

It's not the end of the world, just disruptive. Figure I'd cap it to 50 if possible....

I have the same rig. Do you also crawl to 20-30 FPS in some brightly-lighted indoor areas? Outside I'm usually at 50 FPS, sometimes dips to the 40s.

I definitely get dips, for sure man. It's not unplayable, but it's definitely there. I was extremely tempted to upgrade my GPU before release, but playing almost 30 hours so far, I still get massive enjoyment out of it.

i am pretty OP right now with silenced pistols and stealth.

I feel the same way with old faithful with it in a fully decked out sniper config

my special is while wearing my walking around suit. I might be off a bit I got new gear recently either way im one shotting super mutants and my sniper rifle has 20 shots I can rapidly deploy. I spent alot of the first 2 days of play gathering resources and taking crafting perks I can max lasers and all of the early guns and my cqc pistol is the kneecapper with all the upgrades though the recon scope is not the best for low light...

Str 12
per 6
End 2
Cha 6
Int 8
agi 7
Luk 4

I feel the same way with old faithful with it in a fully decked out sniper config

my special is while wearing my walking around suit. I might be off a bit I got new gear recently either way im one shotting super mutants and my sniper rifle has 20 shots I can rapidly deploy. I spent alot of the first 2 days of play gathering resources and taking crafting perks I can max lasers and all of the early guns and my cqc pistol is the kneecapper with all the upgrades though the recon scope is not the best for low light...

Str 12
per 6
End 2
Cha 6
Int 8
agi 7
Luk 4

For a sniper build, Str doesn't do much at all...points would be better spentin Per IMHO.

I have one going on now. Only wish the 10mm pistol could put out more damage when silenced, even after mods.

For a sniper build, Str doesn't do much at all...points would be better spentin Per IMHO.

I have one going on now. Only wish the 10mm pistol could put out more damage when silenced, even after mods.

By walking around gear I meant power armor... I have 4 str thx to the bobble head started with 2 but found a minimum of 4 str recommended as you need armorer and black smith for some crafting...

Do you have any points in Gunslinger?

I do, but the problem is in part that the base 10mm doesn't have much damage to scale with (makes sense, it is the first gun you get), and the various mods don't do a whole lot to crank it not even the top tier receiver and so on. And AFAIK all the other pistols don't have a silencer option.

I do like me a silenced pistol to clear confined buildings/dungeons.

I did a sniper build:
Str 3
Per 8
End 3
Cha 3
Int 3
agi 7
Luk 1

Works well. Up to level 11 so far. I'm improving the build obviously but its a good starting sniper build. May not be best but its good. I took a hunting rifle and upgraded it to do 103 damage per shot and it can one shot most baddies I come across so far. Once you start upgrading your guns to do 60 or more damage per shot killing things is easier. I'm playing on normal for first run through since I have never played a FO game before.

I have a .44 pistol and once I do a couple upgrades it should do at least 68 damage per shot. I have a upgraded double barrel shot gun that does nasty damage as well. I have mini gun too (power suit not needed) but I'm saving it for the really bad nasties. Basically my sniper has 3 weapons. Sniping rifle as a main and a pistol and shotgun for closer quarter fights. Keeping enemies at range is the ideal but close fighting does happen despite best efforts. Mainly in clearing buildings.

Its a great game and I'm enjoying it. Cant wait to see what the modding community does to this game. :D

I did a sniper build:

Yea my current is:

Str 1
Per 7
End 1
Cha 3
Int 6
agi 7
Luk 3

Plus armor pieces that up agility and perception. Need Gun Nut for the gun mods, as well as Awareness, Ninja, Sniper, Rifleman, and Gunslinger. Finally found an armor/outfit I like, course have to console code it to use it early as it is a quest reward from who knows how much later, and doesn't break difficulty scaling.

I do, but the problem is in part that the base 10mm doesn't have much damage to scale with (makes sense, it is the first gun you get), and the various mods don't do a whole lot to crank it not even the top tier receiver and so on. And AFAIK all the other pistols don't have a silencer option.

I do like me a silenced pistol to clear confined buildings/dungeons.

Well...

<troll face>
You could always use a bolt-action pipe pistol. It's technically a pistol!
</troll face>

Stock damage is higher than modded 10mm pistol, and double the damage with the .50 receiver.

Well been playing since it came out...finally got my x-01 suit at lvl 30...(31 now). I would say that if anyone was wondering about lock picking...I'd say it's worth it. I just found a "Secret Lab" in an area I was about to leave - it had a few lock boxes - 2 req master and 1 req advanced lock picking to get into. I already had advanced and had recently leveled with a point to spend. I spent it...it had a button inside one of the master boxes and once pressed revealed a hidden lab - very cool. In the lab on the table was a prototype laser pistol that never needs reloading!

*update* I just fired it a bit to see about ammo consumption - it still uses ammo - you just don't have to reload it.

Well been playing since it came out...finally got my x-01 suit at lvl 30...(31 now). I would say that if anyone was wondering about lock picking...I'd say it's worth it. I just found a "Secret Lab" in an area I was about to leave - it had a few lock boxes - 2 req master and 1 req advanced lock picking to get into. I already had advanced and had recently leveled with a point to spend. I spent it...it had a button inside one of the master boxes and once pressed revealed a hidden lab - very cool. In the lab on the table was a prototype laser pistol that never needs reloading!

*update* I just fired it a bit to see about ammo consumption - it still uses ammo - you just don't have to reload it.

I'd add that going into the Glowing Sea with expert lock picking ability would really benefit you. I've cleared all the Glowing Sea locations but there's parts I couldn't get into or safes I couldn't access because I neglected my lock picking ability. I picked up a double barreled shotgun that's like that as well.

Nice! My favorite weapon so far is a shotgun that adds +15 pts area dmg. I like it better than my upgraded (although not maxxed) gauss gun....gauss gun does more dmg...and I think it's supposed to be quicker...but the shotgun just seems to be more fun.

Only downside is that DogMeat keeps getting hit by the area dmg...LoL.

Oh - thanks for the news...I'm heading there (glowing sea) soon...just have a few places I want to check out first....and I'm sure there will be a few more on the way there..LoL.

I'd add that going into the Glowing Sea with expert lock picking ability would really benefit you. I've cleared all the Glowing Sea locations but there's parts I couldn't get into or safes I couldn't access because I neglected my lock picking ability. I picked up a double barreled shotgun that's like that as well.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think excess food is making its way into my workshop inventory. Pretty sure I never put any mutfruit in there just because I've been hoarding it for making adhesives, and just looked and there were 7 of them in there. I cleaned it out of food items so I'll know for sure soon.

With a decent settlement and the vegetable starch thing adhesive very rapidly becomes a non-issue, unlike in the early stages of the game. I've got like 250+ now and not using anywhere near as much as I'm generating.

Now it's oil that is the main issue, especially expanding defenses as settlement populations (and hence need for defense) grows. You can make oil at the chem station (cutting fluid) but it requires bone and acid, so it isn't a renewable resource like the adhesive. I've been picking up every bone I see for 30+ hours and still probably only managed to make an extra 50 or 60 oils.

Also try and buy as much nuclear material components off vendors when I see them, as I'm pretty sure that will be the next thing I'm always running out of.

Currently at:

S3
P5(7 w/ equipment)
E2
C8
I10
A2 (3 w/ equipment)
L3

And putting all my perks (except 1 in rifleman) into non-combat related stuff. I'm pretty gimpy, but I'm avoiding the main quest line completely (haven't even been to Diamond City yet) and sticking to exploring the safer areas, so it doesn't matter that much.

Any guesses on when they are going to start patching this game up? Kind of like Arkham Knight, I'm not gonna buy until it's at least somewhat fixed.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think excess food is making its way into my workshop inventory.

Confirmed. I cleaned it out and went back the next day and had 9 mutfruits and a bunch of other foods, and my daily excess of 42 purified waters.

It has been said before, but purified water is the solution to all your cap problems. I'm maxed at 2 of the 40x purifiers for what I can build at the castle (which is pretty lamely small) so my next settlement (that has access to a water source) is going to be nothing but water purification and defense.

somewhat fixed? game works pretty damn well for me atm.

Same. The only thing they need to patch is the performance in urban areas. My gpu usage is halved in the Boston area and fps takes a hit when looking in certain directions. Besides that I haven't really had any major issues.

I have the collectors guide, and while i'm not reading about any of the quests as i don't want to spoil them, i seem to recall there is a perk that will stop you from doing any damage to your companions at its highest level.

Confirmed. I cleaned it out and went back the next day and had 9 mutfruits and a bunch of other foods, and my daily excess of 42 purified waters.

It has been said before, but purified water is the solution to all your cap problems. I'm maxed at 2 of the 40x purifiers for what I can build at the castle (which is pretty lamely small) so my next settlement (that has access to a water source) is going to be nothing but water purification and defense.
Yeah it's an investment but it pays for itself within an hour or two.
I would say pass on building Stores in your settlement, but you should still assign all of your excess settlers to Scavenging stations even though I'm not sure what they do.

The water pumps don't require any workers.

As for proper defense, I've found enclosing my settlements in a wall with turrets along the top is NOT a great method, sometimes enemies spawn inside the walls during invasions. You actually need to cover both the outer perimeter (OUTSIDE the green border) as well as the inside. I don't know the best way to do that yet so I'm just putting turrets everywhere.

I also can't figure out the spawn rate for Purified Water. Earlier tonight, I saved next to the workstation and it was empty... I just loaded that save, and the workstation had 202 Purified Water. I didn't even change anything.

Anyway, since caps dictate everything in this game, you can easily just focus on building up Settlements with natural water (beaches/lakes) and totally ignore the rest. They won't provide anything you can't buy with money, like junk parts.

Yeah it's an investment but it pays for itself within an hour or two.
I would say pass on building Stores in your settlement, but you should still assign all of your excess settlers to Scavenging stations even though I'm not sure what they do.

The water pumps don't require any workers.

As for proper defense, I've found enclosing my settlements in a wall with turrets along the top is NOT a great method, sometimes enemies spawn inside the walls during invasions. You actually need to cover both the outer perimeter (OUTSIDE the green border) as well as the inside. I don't know the best way to do that yet so I'm just putting turrets everywhere.

I also can't figure out the spawn rate for Purified Water. Earlier tonight, I saved next to the workstation and it was empty... I just loaded that save, and the workstation had 202 Purified Water. I didn't even change anything.

I just built a fort in the sky with a couple of floors bristling with turrets sitting right over my fields & water sources. Set my spawn point in the fort next to a bell, ring, folks come inside, pewpewpew. So far, so good.

The game has been out less than a week and people are beating it and already tearing the SPECIAL system apart?

You guys are nuts

So how much food is required per settler? 0.5? 1?

I am getting the excess Purified Water but not seeing the food for some reason. How long of a time period until you get each thing? Is it 24 in-game hours?

Dis game intimidates the shit out of me. The time commitment required is insane. I need to get to it but before that I also need to finish off Witcher 3 XP.

Dis game intimidates the shit out of me. The time commitment required is insane. I need to get to it but before that I also need to finish off Witcher 3 XP.
Yeah its a lot of just wasted time doing tedious crap and micro managing. Probably less than 1/4 the time I have spent in this game has even been fun engaging gameplay.

Back