Fallout 4

About four hours in, and having a lot of fun so far. The gunplay is infinitely better than previous fallout games. It actually feels like a proper FPS now. I relied heavily on VATS on the other games because shooting was so cumbersome. In this, it's the opposite, using VATS feels stupid when the shooting is so responsive. Ammo also seems to be a bit more generous, which helps. I don't feel like I have to be so stingy with it. I really like that the player has a voice now. Dialog feels a lot more like a Bioware RPG now, which is a great thing to me. Lots of people are commenting on the graphics. I'm finding it hard to complain. It looks fine. It's not great. It's not going to drop your jaw. But, it's fine. With mods, I think it has the potential to look incredible.

I've encountered one noteworthy bug thus far. I was playing a mission in which I had to kill a particular NPC to advance, and for whatever reason I was unable to damage them. Thankfully, my companion was, so I just went and hid and let them take care of it. It's worthy to note my companion was not the dog. Had it been, I think I may have had a much more difficult time here. The dog is great for distracting and staggering enemies, but I'm not sure how helpful he'd have been when I needed someone doing a lot of damage for me.

I've also had a random NPC collision issue here and there, and one issue where I went to aim from behind cover, and it warped me a few feet to a different spot. IMO these things are really minor, and didn't interfere at all with playing the game.

Running on the latest Nvidia driver (through GFE, the Fallout driver) and no SLI. I'm not overly worried yet. At 1440p, fully maxed (low godrays) I seem to be getting an average of 70-80fps. Can't complain there. Ultra godray killed FPS. As long as it's got SLI by the time stuff like texture mods and ENB start pumping out, I will be just fine.

There is a full list of key bindings in the settings. I haven't actually tried to change any of them, but it stands to reason that you could.

cool. sometimes, and I think i may have had problems in FO3, developers make it so us poor lefty mouse folks can't bind the keypad without it being a manual exercise or just overall painful because they don't let us rebind certain keys on the keypad.

cool. sometimes, and I think i may have had problems in FO3, developers make it so us poor lefty mouse folks can't bind the keypad without it being a manual exercise or just overall painful because they don't let us rebind certain keys on the keypad.

I just checked, and it won't let you bind the number pad. It tells you that it is reserved. I assume because the number keys are your weapon favorites, and the game doesn't distinguish between the number pad and number keys on top. You can bind the arrows though.

Because some of the images floating around earlier this week didn't show this drastic of a difference from the PC to PS4. The fact that a i3/750ti is blowing the consoles out of the water on this title makes it easier to convince my gf to play it on my pc -- she wants to get it on the ps4, but I want my Tv so I can watch football on the weekends, lol. :D

the pc in your sig? well if she decline you just explain to her that shes not worthy, she doesnt belong, and then open your door and say "off you go now, away, shoo!" :D

Running on the latest Nvidia driver (through GFE, the Fallout driver) and no SLI. I'm not overly worried yet. At 1440p, fully maxed (low godrays) I seem to be getting an average of 70-80fps..

Are you noticing any physics anomalies when FPS go above 100 or so? I am wondering, could you possibly lower all your settings and comment on how she plays when at 144 FPS? In Skyrim, when you go past a certain framerate, far off animals will shoot into the air and drop to their deaths, arrows won't fire, etc.

Thanks and have fun playing!

Are you noticing any physics anomalies when FPS go above 100 or so? I am wondering, could you possibly lower all your settings and comment on how she plays when at 144 FPS? In Skyrim, when you go past a certain framerate, far off animals will shoot into the air and drop to their deaths, arrows won't fire, etc.

yeah i'm curious about this as well.

I just checked, and it won't let you bind the number pad. It tells you that it is reserved. I assume because the number keys are your weapon favorites, and the game doesn't distinguish between the number pad and number keys on top. You can bind the arrows though.

fudge!!!!

I'm totally screwed...I won't be able to play the game.

edit:
this deserve a trip to the official forums to bitch about...

any other lefties go bitch (not my thread)
http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544030-unbindable-keypad-unplayable-game-for-a-leftie/

Last edited:
fudge!!!!

I'm totally screwed...I won't be able to play the game.

edit:
this deserve a trip to the official forums to bitch about...

Can't you just re-map the numpad to something else outside of FO4 first? Map your numpad to the F-keys or something else the game doesn't use and then assign them that way. Obviously it's not ideal, but it shouldn't prevent you from playing the game using those keys for what you want.

Has anyone played long enough to get a feel for leveling speed ... is this Diablo style where you will level quickly and frequently or Fallout 3 style where it will be a time consuming and dedicated process to level

Viper's feedback so far is what I was hoping to hear and especially about that improved gunplay. I used VATS a lot in the previous games for the same reason: The shooting sucked.

Anyone know which cvar to edit in the ini to remove fps cap?
I'm locked at 60 and I need to go a bit higher to alleviate tearing. I am forcing vsync off via NVCP.

edit: Got it, iPresentInterval=0 from a Skyrim guide. Default is 1 in Fallout4Prefs.ini

Jesus, every vpn I am trying the aus/new zealand servers are freaking overloaded and aren't wworking.

Softether
Spotflux
etc.

The only time I noticed it get in the 120-140 range I was inside an elevator, so not a whole lot to look at. FWIW, it does appear to cap at my refresh rate still, that just happens to be 144hz for me. I will try to lower the resolution or something and see if anything weird happens running around town or something.

Viper's feedback so far is what I was hoping to hear and especially about that improved gunplay. I used VATS a lot in the previous games for the same reason: The shooting sucked.

That's what I was most nervous about before pre-ordering. But it looked solid in the game play videos and Tod Howard once made a comment that alluded to them knowing the shooting wasn't so great in previous games (without directly knocking their games). It really feels a lot better to me. I think I've used VATS twice in my four hour session. Once because I was curious (and didn't like it) and once because some mutant dog thing came outta nowhere and scared me :p. I've going through a pretty wide breadth of weapons so far, pistols (semi and auto), rifles (bolt and semi), smgs (auto), and shotguns. All of them feel good. Pistols and full auto stuff feels the most improved. Provided I have the ammo to spare, it's a lot of fun and a lot more plausible to go into a room guns blazing. I'm not a fan of the hud, or the crosshairs. There's some weird box that keeps showing up when I hip-fire, and I don't know what it is. Maybe has something to do with vats? Popping in and out of irons is quick and responsive though, and weapons all seem to handle very well while aiming. I've yet to come across anything with optics, so I don't know how the game handles that, but at this point I have to assume it'll be fine.

Wow, it's like old times when I see something like: "Search for the line iPresentInterval=1, and change it to iPresentInterval=0"

That's what I was most nervous about before pre-ordering. But it looked solid in the game play videos and Tod Howard once made a comment that alluded to them knowing the shooting wasn't so great in previous games (without directly knocking their games). It really feels a lot better to me. I think I've used VATS twice in my four hour session. Once because I was curious (and didn't like it) and once because some mutant dog thing came outta nowhere and scared me :p. I've going through a pretty wide breadth of weapons so far, pistols (semi and auto), rifles (bolt and semi), smgs (auto), and shotguns. All of them feel good. Pistols and full auto stuff feels the most improved. Provided I have the ammo to spare, it's a lot of fun and a lot more plausible to go into a room guns blazing. I'm not a fan of the hud, or the crosshairs. There's some weird box that keeps showing up when I hip-fire, and I don't know what it is. Maybe has something to do with vats? Popping in and out of irons is quick and responsive though, and weapons all seem to handle very well while aiming. I've yet to come across anything with optics, so I don't know how the game handles that, but at this point I have to assume it'll be fine.

Hopefully we'll get DarnUI and some of the other heroes of previous Fallout games' mods in on this but otherwise this all sounds great.

reviews seem overwhelmingly positive...looks like they improved upon the Fallout 3/Skyrim formula in a lot of areas (storytelling, character models, voice-acting) but it also feels very familiar/same in many ways as well...the combat seems to be the biggest negative as most reviews call it unsatisfying and repetitive

Last edited:
Wow, it's like old times when I see something like: "Search for the line iPresentInterval=1, and change it to iPresentInterval=0"

I dunno, every time one of the games with this engine comes out I end up doing the same thing...lol.

Any fixes for X/Y sensitivity? The mouse is less sensitive on Y-axis. Common problem in a lot of games.

CDKeys has it for $47.

Anyone think it will go on a better sale closer to Christmas? I don't really know if I'll have time to plunk into this anytime soon.

CDKeys has it for $47.

Anyone think it will go on a better sale closer to Christmas? I don't really know if I'll have time to plunk into this anytime soon.

Ofcourse. Price generally tends to fall the longer a game is out. But we're not going to see $20 Mad Max pricing if that's the hope. This is likely to be the biggest selling game of the year after GTA5.

Last edited:
The only time I noticed it get in the 120-140 range I was inside an elevator, so not a whole lot to look at. FWIW, it does appear to cap at my refresh rate still, that just happens to be 144hz for me. I will try to lower the resolution or something and see if anything weird happens running around town or something.

Please keep us posted on high frame rate stability.

Back