Fallout 4

I will say, while the writing in this game certainly isn't anything special, they do a pretty good job with environmental storytelling, that's for sure.

Full map w/ threat levels and collectibles.

http://i.imgur.com/qktiIVZ.jpg

It's not shown on that map, and I guess the map won't show things like this but, down in the southeastern corner of the map just south of the FMS Northern Star is a Queen Mirelurk and a King Mirelurk Hunter. The king wasn't all that tougher than regular Mirelurk Hunters but I also think I was over leveled for the area. I managed to drop both with just the 10MM pistol, which I have max upgraded to do only like 43 damage, or right about there (not at home to look atm), it was still fun though. I'm to the point where I can use the 10MM in VATS and setup something like 20 shots.

Fallout 4 definitely has some bugs going on but some people are saying they're game breaking which, maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't experienced anything near game breaking in the 65-ish hours I've played. The worst thing that happened to me is showing up at one of the rocket gas stops and I got sandwiched between a wall and a car wreck that my companion hit when she walked into it. The wreck and I spun around a few times before it killed me, lol. Otherwise, the worst I've experienced is ragdoll physics being a bit wonky and crossfire doesn't work. Even with the latest beta drivers and/or forcing AFR friendly mode in crossfire it makes some textures flicker and my character pulls blackface (just the face, not the entire head or body, lol).

Last edited:
No Game breaking bugs on my end either, unless i let the game run with uncapped fps, which then gives me the stuck on computer terminals bug when trying to leave them. but capping the fps to 60 fixes that.

Man its such a shame bethesda can't get 120hz to work properly with their games because 60fps looks so jittery and just not smooth to me.

Yeah, I cant say I have seen anything game breaking either. Sure there are some niggling bugs but that's all. Either Bethesda or the modders will get those worked out.

I'd like to hear what mods people are using so far. I'm thinking of getting that blood mod but holding off until the patch. And guys keep the settlement building pics coming. I'm enjoying them.:)

I've had three CTD's in over 40 hours gametime. I've had a weird glitch where if I zoom in down my sniper scope I will be teleported to the last place I used the scope. Other than that the game is very bug free for me. I consider it better than FO3 and New Vegas in that regard.

I'd like to see a mod that makes it like hardcore mode from New Vegas, sleeping/eating/drinking required. I have not installed a single mod yet, probably won't until I complete the main story and start a second character.

I'm in pretty good shape here. A handful of stray CTDs in a pretty large amount of game time.. I can't complain and especially in the early days on any new Bethesda title.

i have only had 2 CTD's, in about 120hours of play time. which to me seems exceptional.

as for what mods?

pretty much just texture stuff, better looking wrecked cars, ammo box's better looking clouds, better desks ect, better blood, things that don't affect game play but make the game prettier. Also have the required nude mods because well, if you wear the harness clothing you see white bra straps and such and it looks off so yeah thats the reason i have nude mods. ;) I made sure to use the dirty raiders nudes one as well since it pretty much cakes them with dirt so when you strip them of armor you can't really see anything and keeps them from looking too clean.

I want to use craftable ammo but waiting to do any gameplay enhancing mods until a second play through where ill focus on melee/auto weapons and throw in some heavy weapon skill.

Last edited:
I've had three CTD's in over 40 hours gametime. I've had a weird glitch where if I zoom in down my sniper scope I will be teleported to the last place I used the scope. Other than that the game is very bug free for me. I consider it better than FO3 and New Vegas in that regard.

I'd like to see a mod that makes it like hardcore mode from New Vegas, sleeping/eating/drinking required. I have not installed a single mod yet, probably won't until I complete the main story and start a second character.

ugh and with the radiation i suppose it would give a good reason to use the water and food filter on the power armor... If you had to use food and water in game otherwise i only keep stims, rad away, rad-x, purified water, buffout and 2 addictirol on me... The rest i dump in the workshop to deal with later...

one of the annoying things in general I find with fallout/oblivion games, while they are open world, it seems like you often encounter missions part way through, with no introduction, and you magically know all the right things to say/do. It is confusing.

one of the annoying things in general I find with fallout/oblivion games, while they are open world, it seems like you often encounter missions part way through, with no introduction, and you magically know all the right things to say/do. It is confusing.

Your character just uses Chems when you are not looking to see the future and know about things they shouldnt.

finally started the main quest, will do just a few just to see what happens :p

oh, i had one hard freeze (had to press reset, no way out of it) and one "puf" wtf i am doing at the desktop crashes, it doesnt make any sense because this is a fallout game, it was supposed to crash at least once or twice a day, at least! my mind is fully boggled.

finally started the main quest, will do just a few just to see what happens :p

oh, i had one hard freeze (had to press reset, no way out of it) and one "puf" wtf i am doing at the desktop crashes, it doesnt make any sense because this is a fallout game, it was supposed to crash at least once or twice a day, at least! my mind is fully boggled.

A bit over 25 hour of gameplay for me and I've CTD maybe 2 or 3 times. Nothing like vanilla FO3 where I had to save every 5 minutes so as not lose progress from untimely crashes.

ugh and with the radiation i suppose it would give a good reason to use the water and food filter on the power armor... If you had to use food and water in game otherwise i only keep stims, rad away, rad-x, purified water, buffout and 2 addictirol on me... The rest i dump in the workshop to deal with later...

Some of the food has stat boosts...like one allows extra carry weight...and another +2 to endurance....and radiation resistance. I can't say I use the food much either..but the one that allowed me to carry extra weight helped me drag more loot back to base.. ; )

(I hope the above isn't considered a spoiler > you can view them in the cooking menu)

But yeah...you find so many stimpak's and rad-away it's pretty much all you need.....well at least on normal level....I'm sure I'll eat those words on the harder modes.

have they patched the game since release?

I don't believe they have in a major way. I recall a tiny update on launch day, but I dunno if it actually changed anything or if it was just an update to the bundled CFG files.

Besidest the tab *Specials*, is there more stuff to build with that is either found, or unlocked? (Furniture pieces, more wall, roof and flooring options, etc?)
Or is what we see is what we get ?

I would pay big bucks for a huge DLC that adds content and is fully dedicated to just the building tool.

Besidest the tab *Specials*, is there more stuff to build with that is either found, or unlocked? (Furniture pieces, more wall, roof and flooring options, etc?)

I would pay big bucks for a huge DLC that adds content and is fully dedicated to just the building tool.

Fallout 4 DLC - Sims Apocalypse pack :D

There is, I remember picking up a magazine for some furniture, can't remember what it was. Also picked one up for facial tattoo's.

Some of the food has stat boosts...like one allows extra carry weight...and another +2 to endurance....and radiation resistance. I can't say I use the food much either..but the one that allowed me to carry extra weight helped me drag more loot back to base.. ; )

(I hope the above isn't considered a spoiler > you can view them in the cooking menu)

But yeah...you find so many stimpak's and rad-away it's pretty much all you need.....well at least on normal level....I'm sure I'll eat those words on the harder modes.
Nope! I'm here swimming in Stimpaks and RadAway 10 hours into Survival difficulty.

Look for Picket Fences magazines, they allow you to build different things. Off the top of my head, I found three; one allows additional fences, another allows potted plants, and the other I found allowed me to build statues.

I will say, while the writing in this game certainly isn't anything special, they do a pretty good job with environmental storytelling, that's for sure.

I'll be honest, knowing the brief, canonical history of Fallout, it just doesn't make sense to me. Basically, reality and the Fallout universe diverge just after WWII ended. The events of FO4 take place 200 years after that yet, in 200 years art has been at a complete standstill?? I mean, art and music still evolved during the Dark Ages. The Fallout universe has seen a lot of technological decline in the general population but that doesn't mean humans would stop picking up a paintbrush or an instrument. Even the earliest humans whose basic needs had to be met every day still found time to paint on the walls, I'm willing to bet they also had some time to make some rhythmical noises as well. Yet here we are in the year 2188, or somewhere around there, and music from the 1950s is all the rage AND people know who these musicians were....

I'm also pulled out of it by the complete lack of individualism on display in the Vaults. One of the Vaults that remained intact for the whole 200 years still has multiple doctors in it. How do they manage to ensure that EVERY generation has a scientifically minded individual with the will and desire to be a doctor or scientist and how do they manage to pass on every bit of important information that the previous generation had to know up to the original who was, assumedly, trained in a college for years with more years of hands on experience. What about the desire to go outside the vault and see more of the world? The game does make an attempt to show that there are some people interested in doing that, but it makes it seem like it's a very small minority that is rarely encountered. I'd argue that it would be a majority of people with that desire coupled with it encountering EVERY generation. It's an innate human desire, if it wasn't there'd have been no reason for humanity to spread outside of southeast Asia.

All that aside, its still a fun universe they created.....and I still have half those damn songs stuck in my head when I'm NOT playing the game, lol.

I'm thinking of trying a melee build in that first mission in Concord. (No guns, explosives or PA used on any mobs)
Figure i'll have to level up a bit and get tougher armor, ect, but figure i'll be able to pull it off.
Will be interesting to try i think. :D
Still no CTD or bugs that i've seen so far. Have had a few weird graphical textures but nothing game breaking.

Look for Picket Fences magazines, they allow you to build different things. Off the top of my head, I found three; one allows additional fences, another allows potted plants, and the other I found allowed me to build statues.

I'll be honest, knowing the brief, canonical history of Fallout, it just doesn't make sense to me. Basically, reality and the Fallout universe diverge just after WWII ended. The events of FO4 take place 200 years after that yet, in 200 years art has been at a complete standstill?? I mean, art and music still evolved during the Dark Ages. The Fallout universe has seen a lot of technological decline in the general population but that doesn't mean humans would stop picking up a paintbrush or an instrument. Even the earliest humans whose basic needs had to be met every day still found time to paint on the walls, I'm willing to bet they also had some time to make some rhythmical noises as well. Yet here we are in the year 2188, or somewhere around there, and music from the 1950s is all the rage AND people know who these musicians were....

I'm also pulled out of it by the complete lack of individualism on display in the Vaults. One of the Vaults that remained intact for the whole 200 years still has multiple doctors in it. How do they manage to ensure that EVERY generation has a scientifically minded individual with the will and desire to be a doctor or scientist and how do they manage to pass on every bit of important information that the previous generation had to know up to the original who was, assumedly, trained in a college for years with more years of hands on experience. What about the desire to go outside the vault and see more of the world? The game does make an attempt to show that there are some people interested in doing that, but it makes it seem like it's a very small minority that is rarely encountered. I'd argue that it would be a majority of people with that desire coupled with it encountering EVERY generation. It's an innate human desire, if it wasn't there'd have been no reason for humanity to spread outside of southeast Asia.

All that aside, its still a fun universe they created.....and I still have half those damn songs stuck in my head when I'm NOT playing the game, lol.
It's a satire of what is referred to as "the Greatest Generation." I've heard many a time throughout my life that the world would be perfect if we just went back to the way things were in the '50s. The idea being that even stuck in those ideals the world still goes to shit. Hence the line "War... war never changes."

That's my take on it, anyway. You can't really enjoy these types of things without suspending disbelief.

And the bombs are dropped in 2077. FO4 takes place during 2287 (as indicated in your PipBoy).

300? Wow. I was just thinking about how stimpacks were a little too common and I only have 50 or so

I have plenty of Stimpacks...only use them when I need to heal a limb, otherwise Purified Water or cooked food works just as well.

RadAway, on the other hand, is much more rare.

i always carry 10 radaway with me, excess goes into workbench so i dont waste it all on accident so its getting stockpiled.

dude, what a amazing gear they give you for start the game on those first main quests, but its all beneath me at this point duh

Anyone else have the pip boy map double click bug? I bring up the map and double click on where I want to go but nothing happens. It's as if it doesn't realize I am double clicking a location. If I rapidly press the left mouse button eventually it works and can take as long as 10 seconds for it to activate, so it's pretty annoying. I downloaded the pipboy app for my tablet and use it to fast travel because at least that works.

It also looks as if there is a very constant crash bug if I am looking at the pip boy in game then press escape -> quit -> to desktop.

Still having a blast in the game though even with the few bugs I ran into.

Yeah, I've had issues where the mouse won't respond in the Pip-Boy menus as well until I move the cursor completely away and then back again. It's buggy.

I also think the water purifier stuff is bugged because there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to when you get excess water right now. I've tried placing more, I've tried storing and replacing them...no consistency. Sometimes it may take an hour of realtime, sometimes it may take 10 hours apparently. My suspicion is that it's supposed to take 24 in-game hours or so but since there is literally zero information about the whole settlement process, who knows?

Luckily I haven't had any CTDs yet...

Have you played Fallout 3? The very beginning of that game goes over the way of life inside the vault. You'll get a lot of the answer you seek if you just played through the opening of that game.

Anyone else have the pip boy map double click bug? I bring up the map and double click on where I want to go but nothing happens. It's as if it doesn't realize I am double clicking a location. If I rapidly press the left mouse button eventually it works and can take as long as 10 seconds for it to activate, so it's pretty annoying. I downloaded the pipboy app for my tablet and use it to fast travel because at least that works.

It also looks as if there is a very constant crash bug if I am looking at the pip boy in game then press escape -> quit -> to desktop.

Still having a blast in the game though even with the few bugs I ran into.

this never happened here, no issues with mouse/pipboy, but i dont use the pipboy app

Hey guys, after decking out sanctuary to the extreme, it appears my power is in red, why?

I doubled my power because of this and it's still red.
I don't get it.

300? Wow. I was just thinking about how stimpacks were a little too common and I only have 50 or so
You can craft them at chem stations.
Crafting food/chems is a great way to inflate your XP. Especially since you most likely have a bunch of the ingredients laying around.

One of the things that diverged from our world is the emphasis on energy consumption due to reliance on nuclear power (fission initially, fusion towards the end of the war), and social progress have been placed in a total standstill and silicon technology never appeared (hence the computers are still using monochrome CRT's, command lines and vacuum tubes), as well as social progress like music and art (2077 still have art forms from the 1950's, over a century without any progress in that). Hence it is not entirely inconceivable that in the 200 years that followed it (with much fewer humans around), there is again, little social progress being made due to history of stagnation in the past, but now they are adding survival to that list.

The premise of cultural stagnation is pretty much one of the roots of Fallout universe. Instead of developing energy efficient devices and social/cultural progress, they pursused energy consumption.

However, I will freely admit that it asks many more questions than it answers (such as the existence of intelligent robots).

It's a satire of what is referred to as "the Greatest Generation." I've heard many a time throughout my life that the world would be perfect if we just went back to the way things were in the '50s. The idea being that even stuck in those ideals the world still goes to shit. Hence the line "War... war never changes."

That's my take on it, anyway. You can't really enjoy these types of things without suspending disbelief.

And the bombs are dropped in 2077. FO4 takes place during 2287 (as indicated in your PipBoy).

It only furthers my argument with roughly 125 years passing after the time divergence before the bombs are dropped destroyed society. I just assume the 'war never changes' line that's always spewed out in gaming that it's pretty shallow in meaning. Regardless of time, technology, or culture, war is always nasty, gruesome, and hellish. It's definitely an interesting view that you have though and I'm not trying to dispute it. I'd agree though that it wouldn't be enjoyable if I questioned every inconsistency or odd thing about the universe. I imagine the same could be said about a ton of different sci-fi universes.

Have you played Fallout 3? The very beginning of that game goes over the way of life inside the vault. You'll get a lot of the answer you seek if you just played through the opening of that game.
I played FO3 way back when it first came out, I remember picking the SPECIAL attributes and the classroom training a little bit. Still, unless they ran things in a North Korean way, it'd be hard to remove everyone's curiosity about what lies beyond. Not sure even North Korea is able to do it, which they may just feed the populace's desire with propaganda about how terrible the rest of the world currently is.
Hey guys, after decking out sanctuary to the extreme, it appears my power is in red, why?

I doubled my power because of this and it's still red.
I don't get it.

As was said, check your wiring. You'll get red if something somewhere in your settlement is underpowered. The power grid isn't magically unified like in some games, if a generator isn't wired directly into a circuit it's not providing power. You CAN run generators in serial or parallel (though a parallel setup would be a waste since they never run out of fuel or breakdown). What I mean is that you can connect a bunch of generators together and have only one wire running off to your stuff and the combined power will go down the one wire, that's how I wired up the molecular transmitter.

G----G-----G-----D
G=Generators
D=Devices
--- = Wiring
If G=10, then D would receive 30.

Back