Fallout 4

So I just got a new companion and they don't like you lockpicking anything.....but they approve of you stealing, or eating things, or crushing enemies...just don't pick a lock, makes no damn sense and seriously going to be a pita to raise their approval rating for their perk (since I like melee combat).

Wish they didn't make companions care about simple acts like lockpicking/hacking, it should depend instead of moral areas, like stealing/theft and other things good or bad.

Power melee attack one of your settlers when he is around.

For anyone wearing Power Armor, there's a bug that causes some NPCs to skip dialog cutscenes during quests.
Updated: It's caused by the "Targeting HUD" Helmet mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t-js9a0E0U

It seems to be dialog that happens before a fight breaks out, IE: You talk for a few minutes, possibly make a loyalty decision, and then you fight. The bug causes the game to skip dialog and makes the NPCs immediately hostile to you... But it doesn't happen with all quests.

I've had it happen twice now, once during a MAIN QUEST and another during a side-quest. One of them involved choosing a side, and the game completely skipped the dialog altogether and jumped straight to combat. If I didn't realize it was a bug, I probably would not have even noticed. I saw the quest on YouTube a few days ago and realized it skipped the dialog. Many people might be suffering from this and not even realize it, there's no indicator that a bug even happened. To avoid this, you have to take off your Power Armor before engaging the conversation. So make sure you save as much as possible.

You should be able to realize it happened as combat will initiate in a spot where you might expect talking to happen first. I had one NPC say "Come in and we'll talk" and as soon as I entered the room, he went hostile. It seemed bizarre at the time.

Last edited:
So I have the Settlement supply lines set up, but I'm wondering about something: There's been a few workbenches scattered through random quests that I've dumped my gear at, because I was over-encumbered and thought that it would deposit across locations, becoming available in my main workbench.

Now that I know that this isn't the case, is there any way to have my supply lines pull the stuff?

Fallout 4 beta patch due next week on PC

"Our process for updating the game will include releasing a beta patch on Steam, followed by full release on PC, then release on the consoles," Bethesda explained. "This process has worked well for us in the past and allows us to get more fixes out faster."

"Expect to see more updates, that are smaller and more frequent, than a few big ones. This allows us to make sure each fix is working right, as any change can have unintentional side effects in a game this huge. We expect the first beta patch to be up next week."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-19-fallout-4-beta-patch-due-next-week-on-pc

Fallout 4 beta patch due next week on PC

"Our process for updating the game will include releasing a beta patch on Steam, followed by full release on PC, then release on the consoles," Bethesda explained. "This process has worked well for us in the past and allows us to get more fixes out faster."

"Expect to see more updates, that are smaller and more frequent, than a few big ones. This allows us to make sure each fix is working right, as any change can have unintentional side effects in a game this huge. We expect the first beta patch to be up next week."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-11-19-fallout-4-beta-patch-due-next-week-on-pc

No sli support on patch?

Why would the helmet need to be hidden when you can remove or swap it so easily? Wear something different if you don't like the appearance of what you are wearing? :confused:

Because removing it just before every damn conversation is annoying at best. And sometimes the hideousness of helmets in general is not always limited to the facial half.

There's explosions and all kinds of shit going on, right there in the centre of the screen. Why you're staring at your character's butt is the real question here. Are you staring at your character's butt for hours on end?

I frequently switch between first person and third person modes, depending on what I am doing. And your character's face pretty much always shows during conversations.

No sli support on patch?

I actually spoke to NVIDIA about this today....

"You can force SLI on today – we have it disabled for now because there are some corruption issues. First patch should fix that and we can then enable."

Why would the helmet need to be hidden when you can remove or swap it so easily? Wear something different if you don't like the appearance of what you are wearing? :confused:

Like with many games...armor or stat values. Sure that fedora or beret looks great, but it doesn't have the armor rating of that T-60 helm. People can spend an hour+ in character creators for RPGs, only to find they have to protect their head from headshots which means covering up said face.

Got a lot better at building shit tonight.

Built this uber home/fort on top of a house at sanctuary (lol). I literally just made it so its still empty, It used all of my wood/steel.

Figured out a few tricks to make things go together right. I didn't use any prefabs to make this. I only used square floor/wall/roof panels. For the 2nd floor I couldn't put down the floor until I put down roof tiles. Roof tiles went down and floor tiles locked onto the stairs platform and made everything even, then walls locked into the floors. Kinda tricky. Without the 1st floor roof, you cant do the 2nd story floor, which means you cant do the 2nd story walls. Once you figure this out making multi story places is much easier.

And my companion actually is able to get into this place, at least he did once. I'll be curious to see if other NPC's end up using the beds that I'm going to put inside.

2qa4bcj.png

6opzip.png

nh0u4z.png

5vzrdu.png

2akg3gm.png

116mlxf.png

Last edited:
Converge, thanks for the tips and that looks badass. Time for me to scrap a few buildings and get to rebuilding. :D

Built this uber home/fort on top of a house at sanctuary (lol). I literally just made it so its still empty, It used all of my wood/steel.

Figured out a few tricks to make things go together right. I didn't use any prefabs to make this. I only used square floor/wall/roof panels. For the 2nd floor I couldn't put down the floor until I put down roof tiles. Roof tiles went down and floor tiles locked onto the stairs platform and made everything even, then walls locked into the floors. Kinda tricky. Without the 1st floor roof, you cant do the 2nd story floor, which means you cant do the 2nd story walls. Once you figure this out making multi story places is much easier.

And my companion actually is able to get into this place, at least he did once. I'll be curious to see if other NPC's end up using the beds that I'm going to put inside.

Gods I wish I had the patience... and materials to build something like that. So far I've barely managed to get the hang of the controls and the best way to lay things out in order to run power without it looking like hell.

Very nice work!

I also just realized tonight that I apparently I had a mental image of Trinity from The Matrix in my head when I made my character.... Funny how that struck me just now after 20+ hours into the game.

I really do wish there was a "hide helmet during conversation" option. It's not that I don't like some of the helmets or things, but I'd prefer to see my characters face when having a conversation.

Also the more I play the more I really really think the trade/sorting system needs tweaks.

When trading items with companions or putting items into/out of storage, you should have the ability to sort items by type, just like you can when you look at your inventory.

In my house I built some storage containers and things to hold my items and I have been trying to have each one be for specific item types, food in one container, collectibles (IE pip boys/books) in another, then weapons.

It's a huge PITA trying to do this because you have to just go through one-by-one in your trade menu cause there's no way to sort items by "type." They only allow you to sort items by weight/value/acc/rof and crap, which is USELESS when you're trading or putting items in storage.

I finally got into diamond city and man, this place has given me so many quests now, can't figure out what I'm going to do next lol. So many options to do, I'll probably end up getting sidetracked from one I pick anyways.

Oh, and in case anyone is planning to build a sneaker type Character, here is my initial character stats:

SPECIAL:

Aiming for the stats of

None of the endurance perks, barring the Damage resist ones, tie in any significant way to stealth or just survival in general. I don't use chems and the game doesn't look like there is a whole lot of water.

I probably won't use VATS regularly, so high PER and most of the luck based perks are also pretty useless. I might get 2 LCK for the scrounger perk

The other stats pretty much lets me pick any lock, craft anything and gain access to almost all stealth related kill perks (stealth detection, stealth damage, weapon damage), and get the local leader and strong back perks.

The only significant thing I'd be missing from the setup is the fusion core perk, but since I probably won't be using Power Armor 24/7, I think I can live with it.

Obviously, I will eventually max my character, but charismatic stealth item hoarder who despises anything that is locked would be my initial forte.

welp, went to help out at a small camp that should have been adequately defended. Spawned to a bunch of super mutants, 3 of them carrying miniguns....

Lol, too many suits and not enough time.

I'm just going to stick with 2 for now, as I built my own man cave already and only built room for 2 to sit comfortably. lol

Lol, too many suits and not enough time.

I'm just going to stick with 2 for now, as I built my own man cave already and only built room for 2 to sit comfortably. lol
I googled where to find the X-01 or whatever it is (the best armor) and 5 minutes later I had it. Is there any reason to collect the others?

I googled where to find the X-01 or whatever it is (the best armor) and 5 minutes later I had it. Is there any reason to collect the others?

I see no point in needing more than one suit, other than to just collect all of them, or a few for decorative purposes.

If you have enough fusion cores for your strongest one, then the rest are just waiting to be upgraded and still won't be used because you already have a stronger one. Which to me, seems like a waste of parts.

Unless at the end of the game it is better to have more power armors laying around for the settlers to use when a fat invasion happens?(Unsure)
Other than that, I think it's just for sentimental reasons only.

Another reason IMO, to have more than one power armor, is it could be cost effective on repairs and or more convenient to spread them around through all your settlements to save power, time and money in some sort of way.

@Chen Yes, they can use them. I'm not sure they'll go beyond the settlements radius with it, but I've seen them wear mine a few times.

Last edited:

I'm not actively searching to expand my collection, I just add suits to my shed as I run across them. The only one I went after specifically was the full X-01 that you get at....I think it's 35th Street...or maybe 38th Street....big ass building with, when I went there, an assaultron and sentrybot that pop out on the roof. It's adaptive though, when I read about it, there was mention of an assaultron and a synth.

I found a bunch of X-01 pieces on other various quests so it's not hard to find. I think there's only one place that offers the full set though. I also hunted down the custom paint jobs.
Currently level 61, playing on Survival and having no issues. Enemies don't scale very well at higher levels.

xYHl9dm.png

And my updated tower:

oTPZW5f.png

I tried messing with some building for about an hour yesterday. I realized it's pretty dern tricky. One of the issues I was having was the walls I built didn't quite touch the floors on the floor above. Are you saying that you put roofs on top the first floor, then lay floors on top of the roofs for the second floor?

I realize you can build stuff that just basically floats in the air but I want the things I build to appear to be structurally sound.

No and neither can companions.

you an tell your companion to get in the armor.

and settlers will get in unused armor at random times if they get attacked, or conversely the raiders will jump in it as well if they get close enough.

I tried messing with some building for about an hour yesterday. I realized it's pretty dern tricky. One of the issues I was having was the walls I built didn't quite touch the floors on the floor above. Are you saying that you put roofs on top the first floor, then lay floors on top of the roofs for the second floor?

I realize you can build stuff that just basically floats in the air but I want the things I build to appear to be structurally sound.

Yeah I had the same problem. Exactly what I was talking about.

Basically, It's like this.... Once you make your first floor complete with floors and walls, you won't be able to make a second floor connect right unless you roof in your 1st floor with roof tiles. First position the 2nd floor stairs prefab (the stairs with the floors connected to the top) wherever you want and then you start putting down your 1st floor roof tiles which connect to your 1st floor walls. Then your 2nd floor floor tiles should connect to the stairs prefab and then go outward and lay right over your 1st floor roof. That way you won't have the floating space in between floors.

So 1st floor floor tiles > 1st floor walls > indoor stairs prefab > 1st floor roof tiles > 2nd floor floor tiles > 2nd floor walls. And so on.

That's the best way I can describe it from what I recall from last night. Once I get back on tonight I'll be able to remember a bit more and I could even do a video maybe.

it cannot, i am level three armorer and this costume doesnt even appear on the craft menu, it doesnt have an option to upgrade.

That is because it is upgraded during the quest line it has to do with...
When you pick it up you automatically get a quest to talk to Kent about the silver shroud during the course of the quest Kent upgrades it.

Honestly my outerwear is a set of t-51E power armor i doubt it will get upgraded enough to offset the power armor... I have 29 Fusion cores and i keep finding more faster than i run out of them. And I dont have the level 10 power armor perk yet...

you an tell your companion to get in the armor.

and settlers will get in unused armor at random times if they get attacked, or conversely the raiders will jump in it as well if they get close enough.

i have not encountered that but perhaps it helps if i dont leave fusion cores in them...

Like with many games...armor or stat values. Sure that fedora or beret looks great, but it doesn't have the armor rating of that T-60 helm. People can spend an hour+ in character creators for RPGs, only to find they have to protect their head from headshots which means covering up said face.

Well, yeah. That's the point of the helmet. It provides both DR and a unique appearance. If,you don't want the appearance of wearing anything at all, but want "free" armor, why not just use the console to give yourself +10 DR and then wear no helmet?

Well, yeah. That's the point of the helmet. It provides both DR and a unique appearance. If,you don't want the appearance of wearing anything at all, but want "free" armor, why not just use the console to give yourself +10 DR and then wear no helmet?

Or just take the Toughness perk (+10 DR per rank) ;)

Disappointed with a cutscene at the end. Not a single mention, how your actions influenced others - nothing how Minutemen and the faction you chose fared, what happened to Diamond City, all the places you have built and such - something that was in earlier fallouts.

Oh well, game finished and uninstalled. I do hope, that Bethesda will return to making it RPG with shooter elements and not shooter with very little RPG influence... or they could sell rights to Larian or Obsidian.

While this game is great, I hope they take all of these complaints into account and implement the improvements into the next Elder Scrolls. I feel like this game just paved the way for a lot of the elements that will be in the next Elder Scrolls.

Back